• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome shots of the Xbox Elite controller

Nzyme32

Looks brilliant. Shame I've been pretty convinced by not to bother with dual analogue controllers any more. If I was needing a dual analogue controller, this controller is the obvious choice for comfort and build quality if you feel happy with the price

Flintty

It is a thing of beauty, just gorgeous! It looks premium and worth the cost. I wish I could justify buying one!

KYZR

I'm a stickler for detail, that gap between the shoulder buttons and triggers is unforgivable.

I assume you mean the gap being larger towards inside of the trigger than the outside.

Just inspected my normal pad, and It only appears that way due to the angle of the photo and the curvature of the bumper. The actual spacing between the bumper and triggers is consistent. (unless things have changed since the bumper revision in the new pads that have 3.5mm headphone jack)

watership

Looks brilliant. Shame I've been pretty convinced by not to bother with dual analogue controllers any more. If I was needing a dual analogue controller, this controller is the obvious choice for comfort and build quality if you feel happy with the price

I can't imagine gaming without a dual analog controller anymore. I feel like not having one would really limit my options and my enjoyment of some games.

Vinland

Banned
Boogie2988 on youtube did an unboxing and it looked pretty damned sexy. If I was gonna get a controller for Halo 5 if I get serious about the MP I may pick one up. Still not as sexy looking as my Titanfall controller tho.

Just curious, what does this controller have expense-wise that makes it $100 more expensive? I mean obviously the extra plastic and metal pieces aren't, but are there some internal expensive components that can't be seen?

Cru

Boogie2988 on youtube did an unboxing and it looked pretty damned sexy. If I was gonna get a controller for Halo 5 if I get serious about the MP I may pick one up. Still not as sexy looking as my Titanfall controller tho.

It looked like he put the paddles back on wrong and complained about not being able to set the controller down. lol

Obscured

It'll be a little bit before I pick one of these up, but looks great. Doubt we'll be seeing deals for a while, but maybe I can convince someone to pick up one of these for the holiday season.

Looking forward to mapping sprint to one of those paddles, I'm tired of clicking sticks. I have a bad feeling when I go get one eventually button mapping is going to become like another game for me to play.

charpunk

Sexy af.

I can't quite decide between this and steam controller.

Really depends how much customization you want and what games you play. If you mostly just want to play controller based games, I would go with the elite. If you want to customize the hell out of the controller, steam controller is where it's at right now.

I have the steam controller, but I'm really tempted to get this as well since the Xbox one controller is my favorite.

klaus

Oh my

HIdLJVr.gif

Finally an excuse to post this gif :)

Orayn

Coming from using a DS4 on the PC for a couple years, damn that thing is BIIIIIIIIG.

It really isn't. I just got an Xbox One a few weeks ago and I was very surprised at how close the controller is to the DS4 in terms of size.

f9908e736e.jpg

It's a little more chunky but the overall footprint is almost the same.

I just retired my xbox 360 controller that I got in 2006. Mainly b/c of the X1 PC adapter that's out. Point being, these controllers will be with you for a long time, if you take care of them.

I wouldn't mind getting one but I'm gonna be breaking a lot of bank already on the fall line up. Maybe next year.

RedRum

Banned
There should be no qualms about the price on this! A SCUF with pretty much the same configuration with two more paddles will cost more than $150. After using one on the 360 for about three years, my body is ready for this one.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I just retired my xbox 360 controller that I got in 2006. Mainly b/c of the X1 PC adapter that's out. Point being, these controllers will be with you for a long time, if you take care of them.

I wouldn't mind getting one but I'm gonna be breaking a lot of bank already on the fall line up. Maybe next year.

Might not want to retire that 360 pad yet. The wireless adapter for the Xbox one controllers don't work on things without Windows 10. (Including steam link)

spekkeh

Banned
That's without a doubt the best looking controller ever. Not going to lie, would buy just to gently rub my nuts over it.

Lima

Just curious, what does this controller have expense-wise that makes it $100 more expensive? I mean obviously the extra plastic and metal pieces aren't, but are there some internal expensive components that can't be seen?

What does an iPhone have expense-wise to make it $700?

There is a market for it and the people are willing to pay that price. Demand is outpacing supply already. They could have sold it for $200.

There is nothing in this controller that makes it so expensive.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

There is a market for it and the people are willing to pay that price. Demand is outpacing supply already. They could have sold it for $200.

lmao I was going to type the same thing.

People forget its not just the material cost but also R&D. Those millions of $ invested to get the design right doesnt just come out of someone's ass.

Orayn

Well, its bill of materials is probably higher than the regular controller, but most video game accessories have pretty aggressive profit margins to begin with.

EDIT: And yeah, like BeforeU said, recouping R&D costs can also be a big part of it.

Bsigg12

People forget its not just the material cost but also R&D. Those millions of $ invested to get the design right doesnt just come out of someone's ass.

The 51 patents they're licensing from SCUF doesn't help the cost either.

EvB

There is the increased manufacturing and parts cost due to smaller order quantities, increased shipping costs due to weight, the cost of development of the software to go with it. Loads of incremental things that affect the cost.

It's intended to be a pro accessory for e-sports, so it is going to get a pro price to go with that.

RedRum

Banned
The 51 patents they're licensing from SCUF doesn't help the cost either.

There is the increased manufacturing and parts cost due to smaller order quantities, increased shipping costs due to weight, the cost of development of the software to go with it. Loads of incremental things that affect the cost.

It's intended to be a pro accessory for e-sports, so it is going to get a pro price to go with that.

I really believe that MS could have sold this controller for, at least, $50 dollars more with everything that you guys are mentioning.

RedRum

Banned
Considering how well it seems to be selling, maybe.

I would have bought it at $200 as well. I'm not on an e-sports level but I am a very competitive FPS player and have been for some time and that was back when you could not modify the extra paddles how you wanted (You had to tell SCUF what buttons you wanted the paddles to be and they would hard code it for you before shipping). The customization alone is worth the price of admission.

Elitist1945

It really isn't. I just got an Xbox One a few weeks ago and I was very surprised at how close the controller is to the DS4 in terms of size.

f9908e736e.jpg

It's a little more chunky but the overall footprint is almost the same.

The only thing I found 'big' about it was the handles/grips/whatever they're called. I find them uncomfortable. Too short and angular.

Top Bottom