• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awkward Scenes in Videogames That Made You Cringe

Roxas

Every single cutscene in Pandora's Tower that involves your girlfriend in it. Ridiculous sex noises ruin every single scene and its awkward as fuck when i play it infront of my wife.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AHAHAH so true in fact i was sure it was 10 minute long when it's only 3 minutes long... also i really wanted to be shorter because at the time i had diarrhea and was about to shit my pants :(
It was late when I finished the game and was kind of dozing off during that scene. The whole ending felt like some sort of fever dream. :\

I'm surprised no one said the end of the Path of Neo yet.
Dude, THAT made you cringe? That was the best part of the game and kind of hearkens back to the earlier days or Shiny (EWJ CD ending, for instance).

Not exactly cringeworthy, but I almost always have to turn the volume down or just mute it for scenes where characters scream, makes me feel real embarrassed for some reason.

Also, Dinner Dance is the greatest thing to come from videogames. It transcends "so bad it's good".

i would feel like a pervert or something...

This never gets old.

Derrick01

Banned
Eh, it's not that bad.

I actually played it in French with my wife (who is French) watching and she noted that the French acting was quite a bit better than the awkward English track.

Isn't that because a lot of the actors were french? I think that's why some of the english accents came out so damn weird.

SRG01

The only one I can think of is Shadow Hearts 2: (Big spoilers)
Yuri's attempt to revive Alice. It was supposed to be an emotional moment since it's been dragged from the ending of the first game, but Yuri's face animation in that scene completely ruins it. It's was so awkward and bad animated that made me feel very uncomfortable.

I still love the game to death though.

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, ahhaha. SH was known for that kind of stuff.

Roto13

Bayonetta is camp. Don't take it seriously and just have fun. It's like a video game drag show.

Except the first time you fight a Joy and it masturbates into the camera. That's too much.

Kinyou

WeddingMerylJohnny-620x.jpg

So bad. What the fuck, man?
Most random and stupid "romance" ever.

For me it has to be the two main scenes in Gears of War 2 where Dom freaks out about Maria. The first scene was early in the game, where he hits a car and whines about missing her while staring at a photograph. The second was the much talked about reunion scene. Ugh.

AHAHAH so true in fact i was sure it was 10 minute long when it's only 3 minutes long... also i really wanted to be shorter because at the time i had diarrhea and was about to shit my pants :(

I think we need a new thread for "Awkward Posts in the 'Awkward Scenes in Videogames That Made You Cringe' thread That Made You Cringe."

mernst23

Gears 2 Maria!
Gears 3 Sam Dialogue
Gears 3 Ending
Any cutscene from Other M, every single one was horribly bad except for maybe the Ridley stuff
Jet Grind Radio cutscenes were pretty stupid
Sonic Adventure (how has this not been mentioned yet?)
Resident Evil 1 FMV, any dialogue
Global Saturation

Alx

Bayonetta is camp. Don't take it seriously and just have fun. It's like a video game drag show.

Except the first time you fight a Joy and it masturbates into the camera. That's too much.

Haha, exactly, I mentioned the Joy sequence in the "games that make you go WTF!" thread.
But I loved everything else about Bayonetta, and the ending dance is no different. Maybe I was still high after the impressive final boss fight, but it really made me feel that the developers enjoyed making the game, and wanted to share it with the player.

zroid

Banned
every scene in every Mass Effect game with even a hint of romance or flirting

...I don't mean this in a negative way. I love cringeworthy awkwardness.

BibiMaghoo

The intro for final fantasy X-2. That was.......shocking, and not expected. Also, the aphrodite scene in GOW3, that was uncalled for.

Petrichor

All of the voice acting in the english dub of FFXII - is it me or were the audio files compressed really weirdly? Fran's "accent" in particular was really weird.

Also:
Honeybee_Inn-620x.jpg

Roto13

All of the voice acting in the english dub of FFXII - is it me or were the audio files compressed really weirdly? Fran's "accent" in particular was really weird.

It was compressed, but the lines were really well written and delivered. Definitely the least cringeworthy Final Fantasy ever.

And Fran's accent was great. :p

Opiate

I really enjoyed the novel and compelling mechanics in Metal Gear Solid games.

But there were so many cringe-worthy plot moments in Metal Gear Solid 2 -- often in quick succession, one after another -- that I simply couldn't stand it.

It's a great example, for me, of a game I won't play because the story is so embarrasingly bad that it isn't worth sitting (or even skipping) through to get to the good mechanical points.

That one part in MGS4 where Raiden is all like "It rained on my birthday!" and then Snake is all like "You were the lightning in that storm!" and Raiden is all crying on his leg, and then Snake rips off his bandage, and he's all like "I have no future!" and everyone is gasping just because he burnt his face.

Top Bottom