• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks is making some pretty wild accusations against Russell Crowe

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Keep trying to quote relevant bits but browser crashes so..,

Article title says RZA admits Crowe spat on her.

Article actually reads RZA said "he spat at her." So which is it? Both shitty but latter is decidedly less so.

Like others said also doesn't address allegations of n-word and choking.

I mean it's implied he at least tried to spit on her. I don't see a difference.

Xe4

Banned
Wait, so all this (reposting for the bump):
Peace.
Normally I don't respond to negative social media attacks towards me. Yet in this case of Azealia Banks I'm compelled to respond.
Firstly I only wish the best for her and any struggling artist in this complex industry.
Azealia was brought to my attention while I was casting my next Film Coco. I heard the rumors of her problems in the industry but disregarded them with the rationality everyone is innocent until proven guilty. So my producer and I fought for her to be in the film and we succeeded. During the filming process things ran smooth and she delivered. Thus my only experience with her had been professional. The only brief social moment was at the wrap party. Therefore "I HAD NO REAL EXPERIENCE OF HER SOCIAL BEHAVIOR..."
A few weeks ago Azealia hit me up for some economic help and bong I gave a helping hand.
She then followed up asking me to help her get a record deal.
I called a friend and bong a record deal was on the table. The only clause my buddy gave was I be the filter because the word is "she is volatile".
I called her and told her a deal was in the workings. She immediately, prematurely went to social media and claimed she signed a deal with RZA Yet no deal was signed.
I didn't respond or comment to her post because I'm not the type to stop the hustle.
I actually wanted her to win.
I advised her to stay focus, leave social media and tabloids alone and let your music and art do your talking.
She then hits me for a ticket to LA to work and Bong I comply.
She then needs a place to stay and bong I put her in a hotel.
I returned to LA shortly after and we scheduled a meeting.
I invited her to meet me at the BHH Polo Lounge. Yet I head also planned on spending some time with my Buddy RC in his suite so I ask him can she join. He says "cool Bobby" so I invited her.
Before the night is over Azealia is insulting half the room she becomes loud and obnoxious.
There was nothing funny about her behavior. I felt a little embarrassed because she was my guest.
Still verbal abuse can be tolerated but when it goes physical...
Azealia threaten to cut a girl in the face with a glass, then actually grabs a glass and physically attacks for no logical reason.
Russell blocked the attack and expelled her from the suite.
Seeing is believing and I saw her behave as an obnoxious erratic individual and in the circles I frequent this was unprecedented. I was totally puzzles by her and thought maybe meds or booze or something had her zoned out.
Nevertheless I made sure she got home safe.
THIS IS NOT A RACE OR GENDER ISSUE.
I did not hear Russell call her a N::gg::::
I'm not trying to protect Russell from anything he is a man of his own Caliber.
My art, talent and success speaks for it self and Azealia's recent slander of me and self victimization reflect's the personality of the person that was in that room that night.
I have a wife, daughters, sisters and females on my staff so I protect women everyday.
I pray none of them ever behave the way I witnessed Azealia Banks behaved that night.
Rza
https://www.facebook.com/RZAWU/posts/10155887458442588

RZA learned where there's smoke, there's fire

is still true, but with the addition that Russell Crowe also spit at her (to be specific, on the ground next to her, according to RZA)? What he did was obviously wrong (and Crowe knew it given that he apologized to RZA), but Banks is still way, way, way more at fault here. Like it's not even funny.

Though I should note, calling someone who is dealing with mental health issues a loon is really demeaning. I really hope she is getting the help she needs, mental health problems are no joke.

JKM78613

Neo Member
Wait, so all this (reposting for the bump):

Is still true, but with the addition that Russel Crowe also spit at her? What he did was obviously wrong (and Crowe knew it given that he apologized to RZA), but Banks is still way, way, way more at fault here. Like it's not even funny.

I guess one could argue that because RZA lied (or obscured) one fact of the matter, what else is he lying about?

That said, Azealia Banks’ history of going totally off the rails makes it extremely difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt.

At this point, I’m inclined to just sorta of throw my hands up with this situation and let everyone involved without worrying about the truth. Clearly dumb stuff happened and I just hope everyone involved gets their shit together.

Azealia Banks desperately needs to permanently avoid social media though. It hasn’t really been a positive force in her professional life, at least.

Azealia banks is a homophobic, horrible person. Good bait tho sis.
It’s poor form to categorize someone with a mental illness as a horrible person. If we agree that those with mental illnesses should not be held culpable on the same level as a “rational” person, then we can agree that throwing names at Azealia does nothing but further ostracizes her from getting the help she needs.

Banks is a good case study on why mental illness is treated like a fucking joke in many countries. The moment someone is an “other,” they don’t pause to think that they or may not be suffering from a detrimental illness. They’d rather spit at them and call them names.

That level of vitriol is not found in any Kanye-related thread.

You have stans falling over themselves to defend his antics.
I mean, look at Banks’ history.

She called the brothers from Disclosure homophonic slurs.

She blamed Pharrell for her single tanking.

She called Zayn slurs.

She victim-blamed those drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.

She’s told her fan that she hopes he gets murdered by a random stranger. She also spit on and scratched a random stranger disembarking a flight.

She sent rape threats to Sarah Palin.

There’s a difference between mental illness and just downright mean-spiritedness. Azealia might have issues but the fact she’s been pulling things like this for at least 2 Years now without seeking any real help or making any real change means that her actions can’t be defended as moments of mania.

She’s lost her career due to this, which is a real shame considering how much promise she had.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Azealia Banks not lying is the real shock here, way more so than Russel Crowe not doing what he did.

Hopefully this means she's recovering.

ApharmdX

Banned
RZA has disappointed me quite a few times over the years. Really sucks to see that he lied to protect Crowe, who is a known asshole.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fuck Charlamagne for making this about a black guy not "protecting" a black woman from getting spit on by a white guy.

Faiz

There's a difference? Chances are that spit would reached unless this was some long distance affair.

I mean it's implied he at least tried to spit on her. I don't see a difference.

I mean, if you don't see a difference that's fine, but I see it as pretty different yeah. At implies in someone's general direction. Spitting on the floor in front of someone could still be spitting "at" them. Distance and amount of actual saliva would play a role in wether spitting at became spitting on, yes, but they aren't the same. I could spit in someone's general direction, or I could walk up and blow a loogie right in their eye. Huge difference. One is an insult the other is assault.

I mean, look at Banks’ history.

She called the brothers from Disclosure homophonic slurs.

She blamed Pharrell for her single tanking.

She called Zayn slurs.

She victim-blamed those drugged and raped by Bill Cosby.

She’s told her fan that she hopes he gets murdered by a random stranger. She also spit on and scratched a random stranger disembarking a flight.

She sent rape threats to Sarah Palin.

There’s a difference between mental illness and just downright mean-spiritedness. Azealia might have issues but the fact she’s been pulling things like this for at least 2 Years now without seeking any real help or making any real change means that her actions can’t be defended as moments of mania.

She’s lost her career due to this, which is a real shame considering how much promise she had.
Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Banks, Britney Spears, etc. were also ridiculed by the media during the turbulent times of their lives. I’m not defending Azealia here wholesale, mind you, all I’m saying is that consistently ridiculing her and viewing her antics in the same lens as those that do not suffer from bouts of mental illness does is not good, period.

Azealia is a special case as well: the media allowed the aforementioned White women opportunities to recover. They allowed them to “rise up” against past transgressions and build themselves back up. The dominating narrative against Banks is that she’s “fucking crazy” even though she has more than enough talent to “rise back up” similar to those women and other similar male artists that suffered from bouts of mental illness.

I used Kanye to illustrate that he, too, had incidents where he is consistently fucked up and crazy. But, he also has droves of fans and the media to excuse him for his actions and allow his work to speak more than his own past mistakes.

You don’t get the comments telling people to separate Banks’ output with her personal mess. You don’t get that because she’s a Black woman. And in this world, Black women are held to a higher standard than everybody else. Hit me when there’s a narrative out there in the internet that allows Azealia’s artistic work to dominate the media.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Azealia Banks not lying is the real shock here, way more so than Russel Crowe not doing what he did.

Hopefully this means she's recovering.

Azealia Banks is a lot of things but she doesn't really lie like that.
If anything she has issues NOT telling the truth/speaking her mind even if it makes her look like the worst person ever.
She's also been pretty public about her own issues and why she is the way she is.

Trojita

Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Banks, Britney Spears, etc. were also ridiculed by the media during the turbulent times of their lives. I'm not defending Azealia here wholesale, mind you, all I'm saying is that consistently ridiculing her and viewing her antics in the same lens as those that do not suffer from bouts of mental illness does is not good, period.

Azealia is a special case as well: the media allowed the aforementioned White women opportunities to recover. They allowed them to ”rise up" against past transgressions and build themselves back up. The dominating narrative against Banks is that she's ”fucking crazy" even though she has more than enough talent to ”rise back up" similar to those women and other similar male artists that suffered from bouts of mental illness.

I used Kanye to illustrate that he, too, had incidents where he is consistently fucked up and crazy. But, he also has droves of fans and the media to excuse him for his actions and allow his work to speak more than his own past mistakes.

You don't get the comments telling people to separate Banks' output with her personal mess. You don't get that because she's a Black woman. And in this world, Black women are held to a higher standard than everybody else. Hit me when there's a narrative out there in the internet that allows Azealia's artistic work to dominate the media.

Those women, I'm assuing you meant Amanda Bynes, were already established for years with their careers before going off the deep end. Azealia has shown herself to be an asshole early on. Yes an asshole. Just because she probably has a mental illness doesn't make what she does not the actions of an asshole. Also most of the country doesn't even know who she is.

It's ridiculous to pretend that the reactions in this thread had nothing to do with Banks history.
Being outright dismissive of claims from Azealia when, in this same forum, we have posters willing to entertain female Fox news anchors about their experiences with sexual harassment. Not that I’m saying those are false, just the fact that people are more willing to accept claims from a White woman at face value compared to a Black woman’s claims.

Those women, I'm assuing you meant Amanda Bynes, were already established for years with their careers before going off the deep end. Azealia has shown herself to be an asshole early on. Yes an asshole. Just because she probably has a mental illness doesn't make what she does not the actions of an asshole. Also most of the country doesn't even know who she is.
Quite frankly, that’s ridiculous when Whitney Houston’s addiction was the death knell of her career

It’s poor form to categorize someone with a mental illness as a horrible person. If we agree that those with mental illnesses should not be held culpable on the same level as a “rational” person, then we can agree that throwing names at Azealia does nothing but further ostracizes her from getting the help she needs.

Banks is a good case study on why mental illness is treated like a fucking joke in many countries. The moment someone is an “other,” they don’t pause to think that they or may not be suffering from a detrimental illness. They’d rather spit at them and call them names.

man you need to chill with the pop obsession and realize that you don't know these people

Trojita

Being outright dismissive of claims from Azealia when, in this same forum, we have posters willing to entertain female Fox news anchors about their experiences with sexual harassment. Not that I'm saying those are false, just the fact that people are more willing to accept claims from a White woman at face value compared to a Black woman's claims.

She is a known bigoted asshole. Why are you caping for her?

Edit: I just realized this is the same absurd thinking that people use to excuse racist people as "Maybe they are just mentally ill".

She is a known bigoted asshole. Why are you caping for her?

Edit: I just realized this is the same absurd thinking that people use to excuse racist people as "Maybe they are just mentally ill".

it's seriously funny that he/she called other people stans

Xe4

Banned
I guess one could argue that because RZA lied (or obscured) one fact of the matter, what else is he lying about?

That said, Azealia Banks' history of going totally off the rails makes it extremely difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt.

At this point, I'm inclined to just sorta of throw my hands up with this situation and let everyone involved without worrying about the truth. Clearly dumb stuff happened and I just hope everyone involved gets their shit together.

Azealia Banks desperately needs to permanently avoid social media though. It hasn't really been a positive force in her professional life, at least.
That's true. I don't think anyone but those at the party truly knows what happened. I suppose it's quite possible RZA is hiding more of the truth for one reason or another, but until that information comes out, I see no reason to blame Crowe for what transpired, or get mad at him more than I would anyone else for acting the way that he supposedly did.

I do hope everyone learns from the experience.
It's poor form to categorize someone with a mental illness as a horrible person. If we agree that those with mental illnesses should not be held culpable on the same level as a ”rational" person, then we can agree that throwing names at Azealia does nothing but further ostracizes her from getting the help she needs.

Banks is a good case study on why mental illness is treated like a fucking joke in many countries. The moment someone is an ”other," they don't pause to think that they or may not be suffering from a detrimental illness. They'd rather spit at them and call them names.
As someone who both has mental health issues and has endless sympathy for those who deal with mental health issues, I think you're giving her a bit too much benefit of the doubt here.

Here's a general laundry list of things that mental health affects and should be taken into account for:
  • How you act in your day to day life.
  • How you act in stressful situations.
  • How you perceive the world and the world perceives you.
  • Your general happiness and well being.
  • Your chances of having a dependency on drugs/alcohol/tobacco/other addictions.
  • Your chances of doing something irrational, especially to yourself (ie suicide, self harm, etc.)
I can absolutely blame people with mental health issues for some of the things on this list. Mental health is your responsibility, and your actions effect people in drastic ways whether you're mentally well or not. But I must also keep in mind that they are struggling every day with these issues, and I generally have more sympathy with regards to things like this.

Here's a list of things you do when you're just an asshole:
  • Send rape threads to people.
  • Use homophobic slurs.
  • Insult people for no good reason.
  • Blame rape victims for being raped.
  • Send violent threats to random people.
  • Just be an overall jerk.
Granted, some of these could possibly end up in list one, but more than likely, this list is just an indication that you're a jerk. Not that she can't try to make up for these actions with a lot of hard work. Anything is possible. But mental health issues are not an excuse for acting that way.

Kinyou

Being outright dismissive of claims from Azealia when, in this same forum, we have posters willing to entertain female Fox news anchors about their experiences with sexual harassment. Not that I'm saying those are false, just the fact that people are more willing to accept claims from a White woman at face value compared to a Black woman's claims.
Being hired by Fox and the stuff that Banks has done are not quite on the same level for me.

Because for some reason, people like to parrot ”separate the artist from their work" but not in the case of Black women.
Why would that argument even come up? Is anyone saying that you shouldn't listen to her music?

Being outright dismissive of claims from Azealia when, in this same forum, we have posters willing to entertain female Fox news anchors about their experiences with sexual harassment. Not that I’m saying those are false, just the fact that people are more willing to accept claims from a White woman at face value compared to a Black woman’s claims.

Being a minority doesn't absolve someone from being an asshole and having a bad reputation though...

Trojita

Because for some reason, people like to parrot ”separate the artist from their work" but not in the case of Black women.

Her work output isn't nearly comparable to the other stars. Her assholish behavior has grossly eclipsed her limited library of work in the public's eye. She can't get work now because she's an asshole.

Big Blue

As a former fan of AB, she does not have an ounce of credibility and it has nothing to do with the color of her skin. She's insane. This is a woman who sacrifices chickens in her closet.

Ash735

The dominating narrative against Banks is that she’s “fucking crazy”
She slaughtered hundreds of Chickens and spilled their blood all over her closet floor over the course of three years in the name of sacrifice to ensure her career would be huge. And never cleaned up the closet, and then boasted about it on social media. HER OWN DOING, don't be trying to spin that narrative that the media is just against her when she's contributing to it herself.

That's true. I don't think anyone but those at the party truly knows what happened. I suppose it's quite possible RZA is hiding more of the truth for one reason or another, but until that information comes out, I see no reason to blame Crowe for what transpired, or get mad at him more than I would anyone else for acting the way that he supposedly did.

I do hope everyone learns from the experience.

As someone who both has mental health issues and has endless sympathy for those who deal with mental health issues, I think you're giving her a bit too much benefit of the doubt here.

Here's a general laundry list of things that mental health affects and should be taken into account for:
  • How you act in your day to day life.
  • How you act in stressful situations.
  • How you perceive the world and the world perceives you.
  • Your general happiness and well being.
  • Your chances of having a dependency on drugs/alcohol/tobacco/other addictions.
  • Your chances of doing something irrational, especially to yourself (ie suicide, self harm, etc.)
I can absolutely blame people with mental health issues for some of the things on this list. Mental health is your responsibility, and your actions effect people in drastic ways whether you're mentally well or not. But I must also keep in mind that they are struggling every day with these issues, and I generally have more sympathy with regards to things like this.

Here's a list of things you do when you're just an asshole:
  • Send rape threads to people.
  • Use homophobic slurs.
  • Insult people for no good reason.
  • Blame rape victims for being raped.
  • Send violent threats to random people.
  • Just be an overall jerk.
Granted, some of these could possibly end up in list one, but more than likely, this list is just an indication that you're a jerk. Not that she can't try to make up for these actions with a lot of hard work. Anything is possible. But mental health issues are not an excuse for acting that way.
I never excused her actions. The purpose of my post was to assert that people need to keep her illness in mind when she does stupid shit, not to excuse her behavior.

Being hired by Fox and the stuff that Banks has done are not quite on the same level for me.

Why would that argument even come up? Is anyone saying that you shouldn't listen to her music?
Because the media overwhelmingly reports on her “fucked up mess” over her actual music, which is actually a reflection of her talent?

yepyepyep

Poor GRIMES;252521790 Because for some reason said:
No one is really saying that in this thread. People are just explaining it is not weird, racist or misogynistic to write off Bank's account of what Russel Crowe did given her unstable history, even if it happened to be true.

And as others have said, sometimes people are just jerks and you can't just blame mental illness for their problems. It's like Kanye, the guy is an ass because of his insane egomania, not because he is mentally unstable.

Kinyou

Because the media overwhelmingly reports on her ”fucked up mess" over her actual music, which is actually a reflection of her talent?
i have my doubts that "The Sun" or most of the other outlets that report on her outbreaks are known for their music reviews

Can't we all just butcher some chickens in a closet and get along here?

Azealia likely has a mental illness, but neither her or the people in her circle are seeking help for her or trying to guide her to resources that can assist her.

In fact I've seen nothing but her hanging with enablers who would just record her or just be hands off.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
3MB9fXo.jpg

dq3h4aQ.jpg

wb5GZck.jpg

Wow lol this thread is full of like 4 different sensitive subjects people personally related this story to.

Just goes to show maybe sometimes we should take a step back and not be so judgmental on things that we don't really have reliable information on.

PixelatedBookake

Not trying to sound insensitive, but how many times is gonna apologize for doing/saying racist vile shit and not talk steps to better herself? Unless she has, and I would love to see proof of that, but these apologies ring somewhat empty to me due to a repetition of her actions.

zeemumu

I never excused her actions. The purpose of my post was to assert that people need to keep her illness in mind when she does stupid shit, not to excuse her behavior.

I'm willing to keep that in mind for a lot of the shit she pulls, but the rest just seems like she's an asshole.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not trying to sound insensitive, but how many times is gonna apologize for doing/saying racist vile shit and not talk steps to better herself? Unless she has, and I would love to see proof of that, but these apologies ring somewhat empty to me due to a repetition of her actions.

I believe her that she's suffering, but someone close to her really needs to keep her away from social media and possibly even social gatherings until she's found the medication/therapy that balance her.

If she indeed does have mental health issues, repeating it over and over is a symptom of her condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom