• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

?!?!?!!?!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AltPress/status/848203306996555777

C8M0WNCXYAIQyIZ.jpg

komarkaze

When does the Live at Tokyo Dome Bluray go on sale? Original reports said 4/1 but I haven't seen anything yet. My coworker is going on vacation to Philippines and Japan for 2 weeks so I asked him to buy me a copy of he sees it.

A friend of mine had me get tickets for her as she was at work during the sale of the Palladium ones.

I thought about going as Babymetal is hype but I like the concept more than the music, sadly.

But she got a ticket so I'm sure she's gonna have a fun time!

komarkaze

Wonderful! He'll be in Japan that week so he can hopefully snag a copy and witness Babymetalmania at the stores first hand.

The Tokyo Dome Lives are now available on iTunes.

I'm trying to decide whether to get that or the JPN Blu Ray ...
Just got my Japanese LE bluray from Amazon JP! Go physical! It shipped in a huge box which was weird for blurays, but the packaging is vinyl-sized. It's awesome!

komarkaze

My coworker came back from Japan and brought my Live at Tokyo Dome BluRay! Didn't realize it cost him the equivalent of $73 USD but whatevs. Can't wait to get home tonight to watch it.

Anton668

My coworker came back from Japan and brought my Live at Tokyo Dome BluRay! Didn't realize it cost him the equivalent of $73 USD but whatevs. Can't wait to get home tonight to watch it.

thats normal for the blurays. "The One" Limited Edition blurays go for around $250

Coincidentally I've been on a bit of a Babymetal kick this morning watching things I've missed over the last year or so.

Oh and yeah that new React video might've had something to do with it.

I saw this thread when it first opened and scoffed at the idea. "This isn't metal," I thought to myself. When it was bumped a few days ago, I had to take a serious look into the band.

Holy shit. This is legitimately great music, be it metal or pop. Gimme Chocolate is probably my favorite song of theirs, with Doki Doki Morning having me crack up at the tonal shifts but somehow making it work. And say what you will about line!'s rapping section, but the breakdown following it is batshit insane. Not only that, but in every live performance you can see the girls and the Kami band working their asses off.

Once I get paid, I'm picking up their debut.

Quixzlizx

I watched some of their videos after someone linked one of their clips to me yesterday, and...

the music, costumes, choreography, general aesthetics of their videos, and the vocals (in a vacuum) are all great.

BUT... I cannot stand when the vocals transition over to the generic jpop chorus line. Whenever that happens, I feel like the song suddenly becomes indistinguishable from a random anime OP song.

It really bugs me that I can't get past it, because this is so fucking metal. I love it.

I watched some of their videos after someone linked one of their clips to me yesterday, and...

the music, costumes, choreography, general aesthetics of their videos, and the vocals (in a vacuum) are all great.

BUT... I cannot stand when the vocals transition over to the generic jpop chorus line. Whenever that happens, I feel like the song suddenly becomes indistinguishable from a random anime OP song.

It really bugs me that I can't get past it, because this is so fucking metal. I love it.

Yeah it just depends, I think their newer material handles this much better, but there are quite a few older tracks by them I can't get into. Gimme Chocolate and Doki Doki Morning for example I hate

But songs like The One, Karate, etc. are legit. So is some of the older tracks for sure, Road of Resistance is soooo good

Just recently bought "Live at Wembley" and "Live at Tokyo" (Red and Black) on Youtube. I think the prices are fair considering what the Bluray's cost on Amazon.

I will say I'm super pleased with the overall production, video and audio quality, and the performances by the girls...they're awesome on both DVD's the whole way through. But...

Where is the camera time for the band? It seems incredibly unbalanced compared to the girls. I feel a bit bamboozled falling in love with songs like "Tales of the Destinies", "The one", and "Road of Resistance" (and I could go on), to have almost no showing of the band up close during their most impressive parts in those songs I love so dearly for their instrumental sections.

Now I can see responses coming in like "The production/record companies know where their bread is buttered, etc", but how are you going to draw in prog metal nerds with songs like "Tales of the Destinies", and not even let us see a SNIP of the amazing guitar/bass/drum parts up close?

Some might tell me "Well you listen to Babymetal, this isn't surprising." ... But I'd say I thought this is what I was getting with these DVD's. Actual camera focus on the brilliant musicians from time to time (honestly not asking for a lot) I didn't think that was unreasonable to expect. This particular video was extremely well done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

Just don't understand why the DVD's couldn't have been more like this. That behind the drummer cam is so epic. Man...Just disappointing. Maybe I'm in minority on this, but I feel a large part of BM's new fans are musicians and like to see the band do their thing.

I remember seeing this thread in 2014 and laughing, not even bothering to check out the video because I figured it was some weird gimmick and it was going to be terrible.

Now I come in here 3 years later and it turns out they've gotten pretty big! I just watched the video in the OP - I didn't like it, but those girls are too adorable. I listened to that Karate song and that was definitely better, but still not really to my taste. But anyway, they are certainly different and that's pretty cool; I wish them further success.

I just impulse bought a live ticket to Big Fox Festival in Osaka on 10/14.

...My hand is still shaking.

Edit: Bought the ticket for 10/15 too. Really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom