• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Shy

Announcement on new schedule and big update coming Thursday.
RVnGQ25.gif

Not that you're a minimalist, how are your gonna handle covering new games, Kevin?

Buy, play, then sell?

That is one way, I own a bunch of games digitally in perfect versions (Sega 3D Classics, PS1 on Vita), still have a handful of carts, and worst case I have everdrives.

If there is a game I want to cover, takes 5 days to get the game through eBay or Amazon. Even Gamestop.com has decent prices on used games.

That's really awesome news man.
It's inspiring to see people making a career out of podcasting (and more generally, just things that don't fit the mould of traditional careers but make it work thanks to passion and dedication) and I wish you all the best, Kevin!

dperrin

Great episode! The music is amazing in the Famicom cart of Castlevania 3. It sounded great cranked up in my Truck!

Your new microphone sounds crystal clear too.

entremet

Good episode, Kevin.

Just a few counterpoints to your VC criticisms. The Wii VC was excellent as Kurt said. The lack of true account system is the biggest hindrance.

However, in terms of game releases, Nintendo cannot control publishing of games they don't own the rights to.

I'd love to play all those games on the Japanese Wii VC, but many of the companies that held those rights, decided it wasn't worth it westward. We do have some excellent exemptions to this rule, such as Dracula X and Alien Soldier, but it's up to the publisher.

I do agree that some of the Wii U and 3DS VC emulators are poor and still the lack of cross buy is terrible. Super Nintendo (both on Wii U and now n3DS) and GBA emulators are excellent. Again, lack of cross buy sucks. But with the n3DS, there is an awesome pixel perfect mode for the SNES.

I do wish Nintendo, especially NOA, did a better job, but they're still one of the few companies committed to releasing these classic games in legitimate formats. My big beef is the trickle of releases and lack of cross buy. Hopefully, the program continues on NX and there's some cross buy finally.

Good episode, Kevin.

Just a few counterpoints to your VC criticisms. The Wii VC was excellent as Kurt said. The lack of true account system is the biggest hindrance.

However, in terms of game releases, Nintendo cannot control publishing of games they don't own the rights to.

I'd love to play all those games on the Japanese Wii VC, but many of the companies that held those rights, decided it wasn't worth it westward. We do have some excellent exemptions to this rule, such as Dracula X and Alien Soldier, but it's up to the publisher.

I do agree that some of the Wii U and 3DS VC emulators are poor and still the lack of cross buy is terrible. Super Nintendo (both on Wii U and now n3DS) and GBA emulators are excellent. Again, lack of cross buy sucks. But with the n3DS, there is an awesome pixel perfect mode for the SNES.

I do wish Nintendo, especially NOA, did a better job, but they're still one of the few companies committed to releasing these classic games in legitimate formats. My big beef is the trickle of releases and lack of cross buy. Hopefully, the program continues on NX and there's some cross buy finally.

Nintendo can make it worth it. I hear you, but that is not the best excuse for Nintendo.

The new microphone made a huge difference. Your recordings sounded good before, but that new setup is just on another level in comparison. Looking forward to future episodes recorded entirely with the new kit!

entremet

Nintendo can make it worth it. I hear you, but that is not the best excuse for Nintendo.

I agree. It's not perfect.

My only hope is that SE's North American branch will become more NA friendly. They leave tons of localized games in Japan only.

Capcom and Konami have been fantastic. Getting expensive games like Demon's Crest and Dracula X SNES has been great.

I am talking with Kurt Kalata and Peter Brown for an audio guide to Ps1 JRPGs in 2016 tonight.

Which ones do you think still hold up? Even if they still do, what should people know about it's flaws before getting too deep?

Negator

Star Ocean 2 is still an amazing game to go through. A few warnings I would mention is that if you see a character you like, you should look up a guide to see how to recruit them as you can miss party members easily. The game is a bit buggy and I have seen it crash maybe once a playthrough if you're unlucky.

Sounds great!

If anybody is looking into Virtual Console, the Wii U VC has button mapping. I haven't bought any 3DS VC games. But the SNES and GBA VC games on Wii U are great. The GBA emulation is especially good.

dperrin

Great Sega 3d classics episode. Time to jump on Amazon and pick it up!

Kevin, I bookmarked and used your Fitcast Network Amazon link for when I bought Kurt's Strider/Bionic Commando book. :)

Top Bottom