• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Teknoman

Any protips when fighting Frankenstein? I am getting my ass kicked.

Castlevania 1? Try to make it there with double item power up at least, and just bombard the hell out of it. Took me quite a few tries...and most people say use the holy water, but I like the cross boomerang.

Castlevania 1? Try to make it there with double item power up at least, and just bombard the hell out of it. Took me quite a few tries...and most people say use the holy water, but I like the cross boomerang.

Cross boomerang is definitely better. I hate when I accidentally pick something else up.

In uncharted territory last night. Made it to the Grim Reaper before running out of gas. Should be able to finish the game tomorrow night.

In uncharted territory last night. Made it to the Grim Reaper before running out of gas. Should be able to finish the game tomorrow night.

I've been using save states on 3DS, but I think it might be time to just start the game over based on what I now know. I've pretty much hit a wall.

I think 1 sitting is the best way to play it. Makes you really learn the game instead of save states. You get better at the difficulty ramps up and you enhance your skill. Just like in JtS.

Getting super excited for this weeks show as I put together the music for the episode. Castlevania and Streets of Rage 2. Some of the best stuff on their respective consoles!

Bog

Junior Ace
Listened to episodes 0 and 1. I really like the host. Great voice, great pacing, good topics. He sounds like a real radio guy. I could do without the squeaky voice guy who keeps losing connection, though... Oh and I appreciate that you guys dont just play these older games on an emulator. That would've killed the show for me.

But man, you need some older (30-35 year old) people on there. To not remember Nintendo Power around the time when Duck Tales came out? How can you wax nostalgic about something you didn't experience? We poured over screens and maps of games we didn't own back then. There was no better day than the one when you opened the mailbox and saw the brand new NP folded up in there.

And as a collector, I can tell you if you see a $60 copy of DT2 US, grab it up. That's a ~$100 cart.

Jobbs

Banned
Listened to episodes 0 and 1. I really like the host. Great voice, great pacing, good topics. He sounds like a real radio guy. I could do without the squeaky voice guy who keeps losing connection, though... Oh and I appreciate that you guys dont just play these older games on an emulator. That would've killed the show for me.

But man, you need some older (30-35 year old) people on there. To not remember Nintendo Power around the time when Duck Tales came out? How can you wax nostalgic about something you didn't experience? We poured over screens and maps of games we didn't own back then. There was no better day than the one when you opened the mailbox and saw the brand new NP folded up in there.

And as a collector, I can tell you if you see a $60 copy of DT2 US, grab it up. That's a ~$100 cart.

I kinda agree about Nintendo Power. For anyone around 30, Nintendo Power was big. Staring at little screenshots of games you wanted to play. I remember studying all kinds of screenshots of TMNT3 on NES and wondering what it'd be like to finally play it. Gets you all hyped up -- That was all the preview you could get, unless you were lucky enough to see a game on GamePro TV.

While I respect your opinion I think both Josh and Trey are doing a fantastic job and bring a TON of insight to the show. And the Internet is a fluctuating thing, we just hope for a consistently good connection.

And I will bring the Nintendo power love, promise!

Streets of Rage might have incredible music but it also has incredible gameplay. It completely blows out any competition it had at the time. Some people compare Final Fight to it but SoR destroys it in everyway.

Funny SoR story, when I was a kid I never owned SoR2 (but had 1 and 3) so I rented the game a lot. Sometimes I would ask my mom to get it for me when she was out. Well our old network video sometimes had the games and not the boxes with just the title written on it. Like three times asked her for SoR2 and she would come back with Steet Fighter 2. I would be all "arrg this isn't what I wanted" and she would be all "well do you want me to take it back" and I would always say "Nah, this game is just as awesome. I ain't even mad."

I would be interested to hear what you think about the most recent episode. I feel like we're hitting a groove.

Also, I remember you from when you did the "Lock of the Week" in the virtual console thread back in the day. Always got a kick out of that!

Somnia

Going to download all of them tonight and put them on my phone to listen to at work.

You guys should put this on the Zune store so I can auto download to my Lumia :p

I have to agree some do feel a little short. At least some of the other episodes, especially the Shenmue one. I hate really long podcasts, but sometimes it could use an extra twenty minutes. For an NES game there usually isn't too, too much to say about it compared to something like Shenmue that has details and features coming out the ass.

Some more games came in for the SNES/NES. Never played Zombies Ate my Neighbors, looks like that will be next week's episode of BackinmyPlay:

RkOwnage

I can't do much about my voice friend, I am a bit subconscious about it, so thanks for boosting my morale, lol. As for internet connection, I'm moving into my house this weekend and will have a steady connection going forward.

Thanks for listening.

Def Jukie

I got around to listening to a couple more episodes. You guys are doing great work. I've been enjoying these more than I have the new Retronauts episodes. Half the fun of talking about old games is reminiscing about experiences you had when you first played them and I really appreciate the anecdotes that you guys are sharing. Also, the episodes are a good length as they are. When podcasts get to be 3 hours I never listen to the whole thing because they tend to run out of steam by the end. Somewhere between 1 to 2 hours is perfect.

I really dig Kevin's voice as well. It's somewhat reminiscent of Shawn Elliott's to me.

Neifirst

I loved Zombies Ate My Neighbors, but it was so hard. I don't think I ever got past the 3rd or 4th level. Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

I got around to listening to a couple more episodes. You guys are doing great work. I've been enjoying these more than I have the new Retronauts episodes. Half the fun of talking about old games is reminiscing about experiences you had when you first played them and I really appreciate the anecdotes that you guys are sharing. Also, the episodes are a good length as they are. When podcasts get to be 3 hours I never listen to the whole thing because they tend to run out of steam by the end. Somewhere between 1 to 2 hours is perfect.

I really dig Kevin's voice as well. It's somewhat reminiscent of Shawn Elliott's to me.

Thanks for the feedback Def Junkie! Glad you are getting the tone that I imagined the podcast having in the first place. I LOVE retronaughts, I think this is something a bit different because of the personal anecdotes and the reminder that GAMES ARE FUN and we love them!

Also, if you enjoy the show it would MEAN A TON if you can post a review/rating and SUBSCRIBE on itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id660099665

Again, we will keep pumping these out if we have your support!

LogicStep

I can't do much about my voice friend, I am a bit subconscious about it, so thanks for boosting my morale, lol. As for internet connection, I'm moving into my house this weekend and will have a steady connection going forward.

Thanks for listening.

Don't worry man, I like your voice. What I like about you guys a lot is that you're all very well spoken. And each of you bring something different to the table when it comes to discussions. Great job all of you.

Today I was listening to ep 3 Shenmue. I never played it but listening to you guys talking about it was cool. Can't believe none of you started with a Sega Master System, in regards to Sega, seems like you all started on the Genesis? Get a Master System, great little gems on that console!

I had Zombies ate my neighbors, that game is awesome but it's long as hell I think. I don't remember beating it. I think it was a combination of length and difficulty. I had it on the Genesis though, don't know if there are differences between the versions.

Don't worry man, I like your voice. What I like about you guys a lot is that you're all very well spoken. And each of you bring something different to the table when it comes to discussions. Great job all of you.

Today I was listening to ep 3 Shenmue. I never played it but listening to you guys talking about it was cool. Can't believe none of you started with a Sega Master System, in regards to Sega, seems like you all started on the Genesis? Get a Master System, great little gems on that console!

I had Zombies ate my neighbors, that game is awesome but it's long as hell I think. I don't remember beating it. I think it was a combination of length and difficulty. I had it on the Genesis though, don't know if there are differences between the versions.

I got the Sonic 2 Genesis bundle when that hit. The NES then the SNES just dominated the US, at least for me and my friends. Only the rich kids had both at launch.

I do remember playing MERCS on a friends Genesis before the SNES came out and I thought it was MIND BLOWING. Same with Bulls vs Blazers

LogicStep

I got the Sonic 2 Genesis bundle when that hit. The NES then the SNES just dominated the US, at least for me and my friends. Only the rich kids had both at launch.

I do remember playing MERCS on a friends Genesis before the SNES came out and I thought it was MIND BLOWING. Same with Bulls vs Blazers

The Master System was my first console. I don't remember when I got an NES but it was after the Master System, like maybe a year or two later I'm not sure. Alex the Kidd man... -_- dem memories.

Yes Boss!

Enjoyed the Super Mario World podcast. Another one to put into my rotation for my weekly walks.

I'm definitely a generation above since I was 15-16-17 during the roll-out of the 16-bit gen. Had a ton of disposable income since I'd make $75 every weekend cash being a Smurf on the side of the road when I was 15. Consequently bought all the systems. Even a Neo Geo. Also had a Super Famicom a year before the US launch. Being older I was acutely aware of all that was happening since I was a subscriber to Famitsu Weekly and PC Engine Fan.

I also used to do Card Shows for a lot of extra cash. One of my fondest memories is selling $1500 worth of Upper Deck and Skybox at a show up at South Coast Plaza then going across the street to Yoahan's and buying the import Pilotwings. I'll always remember that day. New Nintendo franchises were popping up left and right. Mario Kart came out of left field. I just bought the import and had no idea what it was until we got home and then played Balloon Battle for the next year.

I like this podcast so far and am excited for the next episode. Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite games.

It's probably too late but if a guy throws you hold up+C to land on your feet. I didn't know that until I got the VC version of the game.

Enjoyed the Super Mario World podcast. Another one to put into my rotation for my weekly walks.

I'm definitely a generation above since I was 15-16-17 during the roll-out of the 16-bit gen. Had a ton of disposable income since I'd make $75 every weekend cash being a Smurf on the side of the road when I was 15. Consequently bought all the systems. Even a Neo Geo. Also had a Super Famicom a year before the US launch. Being older I was acutely aware of all that was happening since I was a subscriber to Famitsu Weekly and PC Engine Fan.

I also used to do Card Shows for a lot of extra cash. One of my fondest memories is selling $1500 worth of Upper Deck and Skybox at a show up at South Coast Plaza then going across the street to Yoahan's and buying the import Pilotwings. I'll always remember that day. New Nintendo franchises were popping up left and right. Mario Kart came out of left field. I just bought the import and had no idea what it was until we got home and then played Balloon Battle for the next year.

Man why couldn't you have lived across the street when I was a kid? Thanks for the memories.

I like this podcast so far and am excited for the next episode. Streets of Rage 2 is one of my favorite games.

It's probably too late but if a guy throws you hold up+C to land on your feet. I didn't know that until I got the VC version of the game.

Thanks, I just started playing it today, and that is helping.

Who is your favorite character to play as?

Relevant to the upcoming topic, here's a pretty interesting look at the music that inspired Yuzo Koshiro's Streets of Rage tunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpntMeUjTmc

This was really cool, thanks for posting.

Axel is the way to go. He is balanced in all areas except for jump. Skate is really fast and a good jump but has pitiful range. Max of course it the strongest and most damaging, but is slow and gets easily destroyed while trying to do his moves against crounds. Blaze is pretty well rounded to but I feel she lacks the power of Axel and her combo has a bit of lag before the last hit so it can be punished.

Pick it up! And glad to see you in the thread as a fellow fan of retro gaming!

I absolutely will be. I swear I already had it, driving me crazy that it's not on my shelf. I swear I even remember starting it up after I got it since I clean and test all my new stuff. When I saw it was this weeks game, I thought I'd get it down and check it out.

Oh well. Check out some local places and if I can't find a copy, I'll just go to ebay I guess.

Bog

Junior Ace
I would be interested to hear what you think about the most recent episode. I feel like we're hitting a groove.

Also, I remember you from when you did the "Lock of the Week" in the virtual console thread back in the day. Always got a kick out of that!

Thanks for listening.

I listened to the rest of the episodes yesterday and today, and it's definitely hitting its stride. I probably came off a little harsh, but in my defense, you'd just said you didn't have Nintendo Power before you had a SNES! That majorly hurts retro cred... In all seriousness, it's interesting to hear from a crew that's a little younger than myself and my core group of game playing friends (30-33).

And to Kevin's point about not wanting to play on an emulator, I could not agree more. While I do play quite a bit on Virtual Console, I try and play most of my retro stuff on the actual consoles. I've built a pretty massive collection over the years (most of which I bought new at the time), so combined with my Framemeister, it's pretty tough for anything else to match that experience.

When I was younger I played as Blaze most often because I was a little pervert. Axel is the best character and you can break the game with his forward forward punch. Max is pretty fun to play as too. Really I like all of the characters except for Skate even though he's the coolest character.

When I was younger I played as Blaze most often because I was a little pervert. Axel is the best character and you can break the game with his forward forward punch. Max is pretty fun to play as too. Really I like all of the characters except for Skate even though he's the coolest character.

So if I play as Blaze as a 29 year old man, what does that say about be, haha?

Top Bottom