• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
Episode 6: Zombies Ate my Neighbors/Final Fight (1:26:39)

This week we revisit a literal, “Cult Classic” in, Zombies Ate my Neighbors and then we resign our position as Mayor to save our daughter in the mean streets of Final Fight.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Shatterhand/SimCity

RkOwnage

I listened to the rest of the episodes yesterday and today, and it's definitely hitting its stride. I probably came off a little harsh, but in my defense, you'd just said you didn't have Nintendo Power before you had a SNES! That majorly hurts retro cred... In all seriousness, it's interesting to hear from a crew that's a little younger than myself and my core group of game playing friends (30-33).

And to Kevin's point about not wanting to play on an emulator, I could not agree more. While I do play quite a bit on Virtual Console, I try and play most of my retro stuff on the actual consoles. I've built a pretty massive collection over the years (most of which I bought new at the time), so combined with my Framemeister, it's pretty tough for anything else to match that experience.

No worries dude. I had Nintendo power just at the very end of the SNES era and throughout the n64, so I'm familiar with it just not as much as I'd like to be!!

Def Jukie

All caught up now. I just subscribed on Itunes and left a review. It's not showing up for some reason but I guess it takes some time to show up. Happy to hear that you are digging Metal Storm. I was actually going to recommend doing an episode about it even if it is kinda spendy.

As long as you are recommending expensive carts maybe you guys could cover Wild Guns on the SNES at some point. It's pretty short so it may be better as a 'miniboss' but it's a great game that doesn't get mentioned a lot and you can also get it on Virtual Console.

Journey to Silius probably would have sold more if it used the Japanese cover where is was known as RAF World. I mean look at that cover! Who wouldn't want to play that as a kid?

587372_63646_front.jpg

Hitting the flea market at 530am to get some materials for the show. Hoping for stuff for the Mater System, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, and some NIntendo stuff.

Would be cool to find some Turbo Grafix stuff, otherwise I will be doing my own mini Raid when I get to Japan a la Jeff from Giantbomb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOVqnnh24o

Somnia

Just got done listening to the Zelda podcast, I really enjoyed it!

Obviously a few technical issues, but it was podcast 0. I'll listen to episode 1 next. Keep up the great work, you are officially in my very small rotation of podcasts (weekend confirmed, giant bomb, 8-4 and radio free nintendo).

All caught up now. I just subscribed on Itunes and left a review. It's not showing up for some reason but I guess it takes some time to show up. Happy to hear that you are digging Metal Storm. I was actually going to recommend doing an episode about it even if it is kinda spendy.

As long as you are recommending expensive carts maybe you guys could cover Wild Guns on the SNES at some point. It's pretty short so it may be better as a 'miniboss' but it's a great game that doesn't get mentioned a lot and you can also get it on Virtual Console.

Journey to Silius probably would have sold more if it used the Japanese cover where is was known as RAF World. I mean look at that cover! Who wouldn't want to play that as a kid?

587372_63646_front.jpg

That is on my list of pickups for the Japan trip. RAF World is a weird name, but I really like the cover. To be fair it does look like a lot of the Japanese famicom box covers, anime inspired/looking.

Just got done listening to the Zelda podcast, I really enjoyed it!

Obviously a few technical issues, but it was podcast 0. I'll listen to episode 1 next. Keep up the great work, you are officially in my very small rotation of podcasts (weekend confirmed, giant bomb, 8-4 and radio free nintendo).

Thanks Somnia! It is an honor to be in that company.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just finished the Zelda podcast. I like the idea of getting your panel to mention older games that need more love. Everyone knows about Streets of Rage (which I love SOR2) but what about the Rushing Beat series? Brawl Brothers and Peace Keepers were pretty awesome in the day.

Hit up the local flea market today and get super lucky on a bunch of SNES games. 20 tapes for $30, some real great games in there too. A little dirty but nothing that can't be cleaned off.

Sadly no Sega stuff worth buying, all I saw was Jeopardy for the Genesis and some overpriced controllers.

RkOwnage

I go to my flea market, and all I can find are a bunch of creepy people, no good games, and if there are good ones, they're being sold for crazy prices. Sigh, the South sucks. :(

Busted? No. It actually plays great. A lot of it's story, stages and characters and extra features were cut from the game. The team ran out of budget and time and Capcom shipped the game in it's near completed form. Some of the things you can clearly see while playing the game. The gameplay is perfectly intact though.

Latest Episode:
Episode 5: Castlevania/Streets of Rage 2
(1:40:45)

This week we traverse through, "Castlevania" to fight the 8-bit terrors with Simon Belmont and his trusty whip. We remember our first experiences with the game including it's ban from one household. Also, since we got enough points in Castlevania we unlocked a Miniboss segment with the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive classic, "Streets of Rage 2."

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Zombies Ate My Neighbors/Final Fight

Yoday

I'm on Android and can't seem to find a way to subscribe. My pod catcher app isn't finding it, and the mobile version of your site doesn't seem to have the link to the RSS feed.

Def Jukie

Will you specifically be talking about the SNES version of Final Fight next week? That's an interesting one to look at just because it seemed kind of amazing at the time it came out but it's really not a great port. It's missing way too much. Also, Zombies Ate My Neighbors is way better on the SNES compared to the Genesis version.

Will you specifically be talking about the SNES version of Final Fight next week? That's an interesting one to look at just because it seemed kind of amazing at the time it came out but it's really not a great port. It's missing way too much. Also, Zombies Ate My Neighbors is way better on the SNES compared to the Genesis version.

I'm not sure about the other guys, but I will be playing both games on SNES. Is there a port of Final Fight you recommend? It's been released in several places, even the Sega CD...oddly enough.

daydream

Banned
The (working) file in the RSS feed ends with "castsor2.mp3", whereas the direct DL leads to nowhere because the filename is different ("castlesor2.mp3"). Just FYI.

Very excited to listen to this one, two all-time favourite games for me.

Just started Zombies Ate my Neighbors this morning. Weird ass game... Hoping I understand why this game is so loved.

It only gets weirder...also, it's a game that requires multiple level play throughs.
My friend and I used to play the game while talking to each other on the phone to see who could get farther. Way better than online play!

Zombies Ate my Neighbors is awesome. I've been meaning to go back and finish it. Haven't played it since I was a kid. I think it's something you really need a partner to play with to really enjoy, though.

Def Jukie

I'm not sure about the other guys, but I will be playing both games on SNES. Is there a port of Final Fight you recommend? It's been released in several places, even the Sega CD...oddly enough.

As far as the older ports go, I've heard the Sega CD version is one of the better ones. It was ported by Sega themselves who usually did nice work on other companies licenses around that time like the Genesis version of Strider. The SNES version mainly sucks because there's no co-op and they got rid of Guy. It's also heavily censored. Honestly the best way to play it now is the Double Impact version that was released on XBLA and PSN. It's arcade perfect with a ton of visual options and you get Magic Sword as well. I'd recommend the XBLA version as the PSN one has some weird DRM on it.

Zombies Ate my Neighbors is awesome. I've been meaning to go back and finish it. Haven't played it since I was a kid. I think it's something you really need a partner to play with to really enjoy, though.

I agree on the game being much more enjoyable with a same room co-op buddy. I tried to buy the cart of it today, and it was...$35. Seemed a bit much for a game that isn't overly rare.

Welcome to collecting SNES games in 2013. Prices are terrible right now.

Yep. Luckily this is one of the games that survived my childhood.

You can get it on the Genesis cheaper. Kind of annoying that the side of the screen is taken up for your stats like this:

As opposed to the SNES version just being overlayed at the top of the screen:

But, outside of that I believe it's a fine port.

Okay great episode guys. Streets of Rage is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I got a lot of love for that series. Some random points.

1) Axel's run attack where he does the ground uppercut punch. He says "Bare Knuckle" which of course is the Japanese title for SoR.

2) Totaly agree on Final Fight being the most Vanilla ass beat um up out there. I do like it's characters though.

3) Duel mode is pure garbage. It's a bullet point feature if I ever saw one.

4) Beats of Rage name drop but no Streets of Rage Remake by bomber games. For shame.

5) Kinda random but anyone have any opinions on God Hand. I always felt it was a great evolution of Streets of Rage albiet a tad more crazier and in 3D. It always reminded me of SoR as I played it, it's influences are uncanny.

Great episode.

6) SoR should have started at 2? Dem fighting words bud.

Wow the SNES version of ZAMN, looks a lot better than the genesis version. I'm glad I played that version.

Also one more recommendation for the Sega CD port of Final Fight. I know the music is greatly improved, added voice acting in parts and overall great quality. Maybe even better than the arcade port? But the PSN / XBL version are the cheapest and are arcade perfect.

Okay great episode guys. Streets of Rage is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I got a lot of love for that series. Some random points.

1) Axel's run attack where he does the ground uppercut punch. He says "Bare Knuckle" which of course is the Japanese title for SoR.

2) Totaly agree on Final Fight being the most Vanilla ass beat um up out there. I do like it's characters though.

3) Duel mode is pure garbage. It's a bullet point feature if I ever saw one.

4) Beats of Rage name drop but no Streets of Rage Remake by bomber games. For shame.

5) Kinda random but anyone have any opinions on God Hand. I always felt it was a great evolution of Streets of Rage albiet a tad more crazier and in 3D. It always reminded me of SoR as I played it, it's influences are uncanny.

Great episode.

6) SoR should have started at 2? Dem fighting words bud.

5. I LOVE Godhand. That's a great comparison, probably a bit more applicable than mine of Saints Row.
Nice call

ZamN is just getting weirder and weirder. Just did the 40ft Toddler fight.

This game feels like a mixture of 50's/90's horror/theme. Can't decide if I like it or not. Might just need to get use to it, but the music is pretty annoying.

Bog

Junior Ace
Good episode.

I definitely know all about the eBay binges. Spent close to $800 between February and March of this year.

See if you can find thrift stores nearby for the old consoles. I picked up a backup Genesis 1 in perfect condition with 2 controllers for $8, a backup Saturn for $10 and a (sadly third) GC for $10, all recently.

Def Jukie

ZamN is just getting weirder and weirder. Just did the 40ft Toddler fight.

This game feels like a mixture of 50's/90's horror/theme. Can't decide if I like it or not. Might just need to get use to it, but the music is pretty annoying.

Forget everything I said before. Unsubscribed.

In all seriousness, ZAMN is way harder than anything you guys have played to this point. The password system is essentially useless. It's nice that the passwords are super short but it's not worth the trade off of not starting with the items you had to that point. The only real shot you have of finishing it is to do it in one sitting because you really need those items later in the game.

Forget everything I said before. Unsubscribed.

In all seriousness, ZAMN is way harder than anything you guys have played to this point. The password system is essentially useless. It's nice that the passwords are super short but it's not worth the trade off of not starting with the items you had to that point. The only real shot you have of finishing it is to do it in one sitting because you really need those items later in the game.

I think the music is just creeping me out (probably the point). Gives me an uneasy feel... Hard to describe.

Thanks for the protip on the password system, didn't realize I didn't retain all my items. Going for another run tonight! Love how ridiculous the 40ft baby boss was!

How many stages is it anyways?

Top Bottom