• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | Review Thread

What scores do you think Baldur's Gate 3 will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 65-70%

• 70-75%

• 75-80%

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 21 5.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 82 21.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 194 50.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 73 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mephisto40

I wouldn't expect any review scores until next week at the earliest

I can't see any reviewers having finished the game yet

Gorgon

I would be very surprised that there’s reviews today, I think they got copies like 2~3 days ago?

Larian told reviewers that they can do "review in progress" articles/videos. Doing that is nothing new, so I hope to see some today just to keep me entertained while I wait miserably for the PS5 release.

EDIT: beaten

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
To be clear, there shouldn’t be any day one or even day two review scores. That would indicate a very incomplete playthrough of the game and a rushed review to hit an arbitrary deadline.
I think the amount of content provided in the early access releases is more than enough to provide a quality review.

At the end of the early access period we are missing some classes and the final chapter(s)/act(s).

I would be thrilled if reviewers spent the time to give even the EA portion a quality play through for their review.

I can appreciate that they want to keep that content for full release BUT the amount of bugs that early access players found really helped to make the game a better experience. I hope the final portion of the game (and new classes) are not a buggy mess.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I think the amount of content provided in the early access releases is more than enough to provide a quality review.

At the end of the early access period we are missing some classes and the final chapter/act.

I think there's three acts, not two. Two are geographical areas and the third is the BG city and environs.

Buggy Loop

At the end of the early access period we are missing some classes and the final chapter/act.

I can appreciate that they want to keep that content for full release BUT the amount of bugs that early access players found really helped to make the game a better experience. I hope the final portion of the game (and new classes) are not a buggy mess.

EA was only act 1, there’s 2 more acts in final game, one of which only includes probably the biggest city in an RPG ever made 😅

Godspeed reviewers crunching away at this

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Deserves better score than TOTK most likely, but will be dunked to 90 or so because… tURnED BaSED

Probably with a sprinkle of complaints that it doesn’t look as good as Horizon forbidden west. Starting with PC reviews first might help, that platform knows what’s up with cRPGs for decades.

Map is not 90% empty and lifeless like my favorite zelda 7/10.

Unsure the Horizon comparison will be an issue, just create a female half-orc but redo the skin to be pink instead of green and you can create Aloy easily.

At the end of the early access period we are missing some classes and the final chapter(s)/act(s).

I would be thrilled if reviewers spent the time to give even the EA portion a quality play through for their review.

What you’re describing would be an Early Access review. That was less than a third of the game, and three years ago. A review has to be a real review 🤷‍♂️

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
What you’re describing would be an Early Access review. That was less than a third of the game, and three years ago. A review has to be a real review 🤷‍♂️
this is incorrect. Larian update the early access build with new area content classes and mechanics. The early access build from two weeks ago was not the same as it was two years ago. You are correct that it isn’t the entire game but I think they did a great job updating it constantly.

It’s a 90 for me easy on pc and a (hopefully) higher on console once controller support is in.

Last edited:

Gorgon

EA was only act 1, there’s 2 more acts in final game, one of which only includes probably the biggest city in an RPG ever made 😅

Godspeed reviewers crunching away at this

Did anyone ever asked Swen if the entire city is "playable"? Because in a recent interview I caught him saying, while talking about something else, "playable areas of the city", which suggests that the city may not be fully realised.

Sentenza

Even as someone who had a lot of criticism for some design choices Larian made, I expect the average vote to be extremely high.
And most of the minor things I did not like about Early Access are the ones that reviewers typically aren't even competent enough with the system to notice, so I doubt they'd be a factor.

On the other hand, the only concern is that this version of game may be bugged enough to piss off some journalist/influencer with a review copy.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Did anyone ever asked Swen if the entire city is "playable"? Because in a recent interview I caught him saying, while talking about something else, "playable areas of the city", which suggests that the city may not be fully realised.
They did say the city was seamless, that you could even enter any house and go on rooftops. From their community updates from 2 months ago they said you could explore the Outer City, the Upper City, and the Lower City, as well as implied some locations like the sewers. But yeah, there could still be some out-of-reach areas.

Last edited:

SolidQ

Reddit is fun :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"I am a veteran of the RPG genre with two years of experience. Played classic party RPGs like Genshin Impact. And as a long time fan of the genre, I was highly advised specifically BG3, but it doesn't feel like a normal RPG at all. There are some long dialogues, role-playing, some consequences of decisions and difficult fights. In general, the game is overflowing with unnecessary elements, and the very essence of the RPG is missing, because with this view from above, I cannot properly jerk off to my character." (c) Reddit

Gorgon

"I am a veteran of the RPG genre with two years of experience. Played classic party RPGs like Genshin Impact. And as a long time fan of the genre, I was highly advised specifically BG3, but it doesn't feel like a normal RPG at all. There are some long dialogues, role-playing, some consequences of decisions and difficult fights. In general, the game is overflowing with unnecessary elements, and the very essence of the RPG is missing, because with this view from above, I cannot properly jerk off to my character." (c) Reddit

Sounds reasonable to me.

Skifi28

"Larian just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about RPG culture (I'm an expert)..."

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if the journalists had to cancel their real life plans to rush through the game.

I think it’ll hit that upper 80’s if not lower 90’s. The hype came back due to a “sex scene”.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Very nice OP visuals Draugoth Draugoth
caneca-graphic-design-is-my-passion-cachorro.jpg

Neilg

The only thing I need from any review is to know how it plays with a controller.

I know everyone said divinity 2 was surprisingly good, but it still wasn't good enough for me to give up the mouse. I really don't want to play this on my office PC though (I work too much and it's bleak spending 24/7 in the same room)

Sentenza

The only thing I need from any review is to know how it plays with a controller.

I know everyone said divinity 2 was surprisingly good, but it still wasn't good enough for me to give up the mouse.
It will NEVER be better than playing with mouse and keyboard.

reviews at release? yikes! big oof!

i don't get why they could've give reviewers more time or even let them publish a day early.

still think it's going to hit a high 95+ number.

So any scored review that drops today will probably be in Act 2 at best right?
they've had 6 days (i think) to play the game.

they could "beat" the game in 6 days if they no lifed/rushed it. but yeah i think it's safe to assume all reviews are essentially gonna be a "review in progress" or some kind of early access score (not actually based on EA build).

i'm not worried about the game but if you really care about others telling you what they think about a game then you're going to need to wait a few days or a week (or two... probably more) to get the full picture reviews from them. It's a big game. I'd like to think that playing Act 1-2 would give you a good enough idea of what the game is like. I was sold on it after 3 hours lol but i'm not a reviewer.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
So any scored review that drops today will probably be in Act 2 at best right?
barely.

Assuming the average playtime to complete Act 1 early acccess is 25-30 hours , a reviewer would only get there on a single character after a few days, and one character / class / playthrough alone is not really a thorough review.

If any of them get to Act 2 then their review will be severely lacking depth. So many combinations and scenarios to review here.

reviews at release? yikes! big oof!

i don't get why they could've give reviewers more time or even let them publish a day early.

still think it's going to hit a high 95+ number.
This is Larian, not Bethesda (Doom 2016 aside). No need to worry.

Game is also DRM free so giving out copies too early undoubtedly wouldve led to torrents already being before release.

Last edited:
This is Larian, not Bethesda (Doom 2016 aside). No need to worry.

Game is also DRM free so giving out copies too early undoubtedly wouldve led to torrents already being before release.
I ain't worrying lol. i was kinda joking. I think 6 days is plenty for any serious reviewer to get their teeth sunk into the game and give a good review of it. It's just such a big game that it's going to take a long time for people to understand the true scope of the game.... if they could've gave them a bit more time it'd be better but obviously they couldn't do that so it's cool.

Last edited:
this is incorrect. Larian update the early access build with new area content classes and mechanics. The early access build from two weeks ago was not the same as it was two years ago. You are correct that it isn’t the entire game but I think they did a great job updating it constantly.

It’s a 90 for me easy on pc and a (hopefully) higher on console once controller support is in.

I’m sure they did a good job updating the Early Access. But nevertheless the review codes didn’t come til 5-6 days before release day, which is inadequate time to play a game of this scale

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I kind of feel this is a game where reviews are meaningless. You already know if you will like this game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
85-90.

Watching videos one turn off I saw was endless in-engine cut-scenes. We'll see how the final reviews are and if it's an issue.

JCK75

I think it's getting top marks.. I feel like it's going to get extra points in that I can make a Barbarian named Grizzly Adams and fuck a bear.

Top Bottom