• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
i still dont know if there is a gaf gold thing lol
There isn't. That's what makes it so hysterically funny. You know, someone will be all like "I wish this place had this feature," and then some poster -- most likely possessing an unparalleled amount of wit -- will express their pity that a poster of shorter tenure than them isn't as cool as them. But they don't have the feature themselves. That's what makes it all so very funny.

It's not funny.

Hex

Banned
All I know is that I will forever stay away from any race related posts from now on.
I got banned and juniored for a comment (one, single, solitary) that was on topic and was not racist in one because people get so worked up and heated in those types of threads.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I got banned for participating in speculation that Trig Palin wasn't Sarah Palin's baby once.

I'm sure that conservative-GAF think they are the only ones who get banned

All I know is that I will forever stay away from any race related posts from now on.
I got banned and juniored for a comment (one, single, solitary) that was on topic and was not racist in one because people get so worked up and heated in those types of threads.

I think the way they hand out bans is pretty inconsistent. It hasn't really bothered me when I've been banned, as long as I can still browse the forum then I'm okay.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I got my first ban on gaming side, can't remember what the thread was about (something Nintendo related I think, it was heated). I think I posted something like "lol at this thread" or "wow at this thread" and got banned for a week because the mod said it didn't contribute to the discussion.

While I've seen others do this without a ban, i think he was trying to foster a legitimate discussion without it being derailed or turning into a system war thread. I missed the memo but I didn't hold it against him/her. Was just surprised.

I remember posting in a LTTP thread about Crisis Core saying there should be a PS2 port and got lynched by the other PSP owners, but wasn't banned. I had heard that asking for ports of PSP games was a bannable offense but maybe not at the time.

I own a PSP now so it doesn't matter I guess.

Gaf had a reputation before I joined about banning people on a whim and I had seen some links to threads where that appeared to be the case. Since posting here, I can't say thats been so much the case. There does need to be a sticky of new bannable offenses. I know the "I'd hit it" meme was added and something about oral sex (maybe telling someone to suck/eat a dick I guess). I guess don't be an asshole is the safest bet.

Hex

Banned
I think the way they hand out bans is pretty inconsistent. It hasn't really bothered me when I've been banned, as long as I can still browse the forum then I'm okay.

Eh I generally have no issues with bans, and think that they are handled here much better than pretty much anywhere else.
People know when they are being assclowns, and if not sometimes need a reminder.
I just think that some subjects get to people, and mods are not magical and are susceptible to it also.

Eh I generally have no issues with bans, and think that they are handled here much better than pretty much anywhere else.
People know when they are being assclowns, and if not sometimes need a reminder.
I just think that some subjects get to people, and mods are not magical and are susceptible to it also.

Exactly. Humans are about as objective as computers are subjective. Just as with anywhere else, you need to know and understand the perspective of those who hold the cards. Mods will have their own quirks, biases and buttons like anyone else. The only difference is they can put you on vacation.

I've already been banned 3 times and only been here a year. Here's what they were for to warn others:

1. Argued too much and was just too dumb in a Nintendo thread. This imo is a minefield (the Nintendo threads). Because if you say something critical or dumb you'll get pounced on by 5 to 10 users with Mario/Link/DK/Mii avatars which puts your post in the spotlight rather than just being a random post in a typical thread. 2 weeks

2. I made a reverse (?) racist joke in NBA-age about white people. I was trying to be sarcastic and funny but failed got a 3 week vac

3. Port-begged for PC version of Dark Souls, 2 week vac.

All of these were fair bans and I deserved them. These new moderators are pretty nice and reasonable (stump, nirolak, opiate, eatchildren, etc.). You would have do something really over-the-top to get several months or forever banned wouldn't you? Nudity, dropping n-bombs, that type of thing most likely.

I just avoid most memes altogether because it can be difficult to remember which are banned and which aren't. For example, I laugh whenever someone drops a "would" in a news thread about a teacher or something and I'd like to chime with my own "would" lol, but this was banned some months ago and now it's either not banned or not enforced so who knows? just skip memes

marrec

Banned
GAF should have a ban-lottery. each user is a number and a random number generator will select the winner.

Ban pools, we take bets on how long it will take Heavy to get banned again.

Luckily I haven't been banned yet, mostly cause I try to keep my head low.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been banned yet because I am lucky to not violate any unwritten rule.

Personally I think unwritten rules are horseshit. There should always be a list. But, when you make a list of what you can and cannot do, then people try to find a way to not TECHNICALLY violate them, and I see the problem there.

The key is to be a contributing member of the board, not act like a dipshit, and not spout tired memes. If you do this, assuming you are lucky and don't fall into an unwritten rule hole, you will lead a pleasant life at GAF as well as enrich the site with good discussion.

Omiee

GAF should have a ban-lottery. each user is a number and a random number generator will select the winner.

thats a horrible idea lol.

i do tend to watch what i post here though, unlike when i was still a gt.com user.
people got away with a lot of stuff there.

especially in the factions.

Got banned for 6 months last year IIRC.
I said something about drunk driving, maybe I said I thought I was less dangerous than some people who are sober behind their wheel, can't remember for sure. Anyway, didn't know that was ban worthy, but hey, at least it made me stop doing it. I don't even drive at all anymore.

Ban message was something like "The officer just revoked your license to post." Or something.

Shawn128

i really have to ask this, iv read somewhere that using adblock on neogaf can get you banned.

is this true?

What's so hard about turning off adblock on neogaf.com? Its not like the ads are obtrusive in any way and they help gaf generate money.

Pollux

Yea I try an say away from race threads as well all though I've gotten away with stuff in those threads I don't want to test the GAF-gods and am now just keeping my nose clean.

Word of advice on posting, if you wouldn't want it printed on the front page of the New York Times with your real name and contact info...don't post it.

Omiee

What's so hard about turning off adblock on neogaf.com? Its not like the ads are obtrusive in any way and they help gaf generate money.

you havent read my post i see.

i have it disabled its really easy to do, i was just wondering if it was true that people get banned for letting it on.

I made the mistake of making an entitlement comment once. It was in the rules, I forgot and got what I deserved. It was the most productive week at work I've had in awhile.

I've already been banned 3 times and only been here a year. Here's what they were for to warn others:

1. Argued too much and was just too dumb in a Nintendo thread. This imo is a minefield (the Nintendo threads). Because if you say something critical or dumb you'll get pounced on by 5 to 10 users with Mario/Link/DK/Mii avatars which puts your post in the spotlight rather than just being a random post in a typical thread. 2 weeks

2. I made a reverse (?) racist joke in NBA-age about white people. I was trying to be sarcastic and funny but failed got a 3 week vac

3. Port-begged for PC version of Dark Souls, 2 week vac.

All of these were fair bans and I deserved them. These new moderators are pretty nice and reasonable (stump, nirolak, opiate, eatchildren, etc.). You would have do something really over-the-top to get several months or forever banned wouldn't you? Nudity, dropping n-bombs, that type of thing most likely.

I just avoid most memes altogether because it can be difficult to remember which are banned and which aren't. For example, I laugh whenever someone drops a "would" in a news thread about a teacher or something and I'd like to chime with my own "would" lol, but this was banned some months ago and now it's either not banned or not enforced so who knows? just skip memes

Agreed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
you havent read my post i see.

i have it disabled its really easy to do, i was just wondering if it was true that people get banned for letting it on.
Yep. I think it was fistful that got the hammer for it?

Slayven

I think Modding has gotten why better over the years. When I first found GAF it seemed like people got banned over the most esoteric shit. Now it just "don't be an asshat ".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom