• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bands all Beatles fans should listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
blame space said:
weezer, in this beatles' fan's mind
Actually that's not as crazy as it sounds... I know Rivers and company admire a lot of 60's music and other bands influenced by British Pop rock.

Adam J.

No mention of Klaatu? Rumor/urban legend, at the time, was that they actually were the Beatles. A friend of mine showed me one of their records once and the similarities are often uncanny.

GavinGT

Banned
The Band shares a lot in common with the Beatles - catchy lyrics, multi-singer harmonies, constantly rotating lead singers.

If anyone hasn't already, check out Scorsese's musical documentary "The Last Waltz".

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Witchcraft
Witchcraft%2B-%2BFirewood.jpg

Hailing from Sweden, their sound always reminded me of a mix between Black Sabbath and The Beatles.

Some songs:

Mr Haze
Sorrow Evoker
If Crimson Was Your Colour

Check 'em out. They may be a bit heavier than what you're looking for buy they're amazing all the same.

Machine

Ducky_McGee said:

I'm surprised it took so long to mention Squeeze. They drew a LOT of comparisons to the Beatles when they first hit the scene. The influence is pretty easy to see in their early albums like Cool for Cats and Argybargy.

It's also worth looking into a lot of the mid-80s "jangle pop" groups like Let's Active, Guadacanal Diary, the dBs (I know Chris Stamey was mentioned), the Mighty Lemon Drops, and the Smithereens. The jangle pop movement was heavily influenced by 60's pop and there is some great Beatlesque music to be found.

Although this would fall under the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson's 2004 release of Smile is really good. For those not huge fans, it was supposed to be released in 1967 as Smile but there was a falling out in the band(and also Brian's mental illness) and out came Smiley Smile(which imo isn't as good). It wasn't until close to 40 years later that Brian Wilson came back and completely re-recorded the album as intended. Not to mention its also one of the highest rated albums on metacritic of all time. You can see the Beatles influences in there. Its pretty good stuff!

VhvVB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom