• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

My current build order is:

- Fishery
- 4-5 houses
- Gatherer's Hut
- Woodcutter's Hut
- Forester Hut
- Crops
- 1 house
- Blacksmith
- Medical
- Quarry
- Mine

But then everyone dies around year four.

Vyer

also, it can snow early. You might lose a portion of your crops because of this.

Get trading going and your food problems are really easy to overcome. Get a few firewood choppers by a stockpile and a trading post and get to work.

When you're food stocks are low, sometimes you citizens engage in hording. One person will take more than his fair share of food back to his house, and this will cause the rest of your citizens to starve.

To avoid this, make sure to have at least one year of surplus food. Each citizen eats about 100 units of food a year.

Another way to avoid hoarding is to build a market. When you have a market, citizens aren't allowed to hoard.

In the early game, just make sure you have educated gatherers working on one to three forest pods (forester/gatherer combo). Eventually, when you have more resourced available, you can build a marketplace.

One thing I do when I first start out is to lay down the foundation of the marketplace, and then plan my city around that. You can lay down a building and then pause construction so that no resources are spent, but you'll still see the layout, and can use it for planning purposes.

Yeah, I seem to be having the issue fairly early game, so I haven't experimented much with the trading post or used the market at all.

What kind of building placement are you guys using? Should I have the forester/gatherer combination somewhat far away from the central hub (as I kind of need the forest thriving), and are you guys dropping any houses in that area or stockpiles somewhere in between?

Yeah, I seem to be having the issue fairly early game, so I haven't experimented much with the trading post or used the market at all.

What kind of building placement are you guys using? Should I have the forester/gatherer combination somewhat far away from the central hub (as I kind of need the forest thriving), and are you guys dropping any houses in that area or stockpiles somewhere in between?

I put houses and stockpiles next to the forest/gatherer combo (like a private neighborhood), and in another forest the hunting lodge and herbalist, with houses and barn. I've been successful with at least 2 of each hub (4 forest areas total). If I can, I make an extra forester hub for more trading power later.

In between the forests are usually open spaces near a river. I make this the central hub and put the blacksmith, tailor, fishing dock, and some houses there. When I'm ready for a town hall and other buildings, they go here too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The rest of your buildings don't necessarily have to be far away. As long as they don't get in the way of tree growth, they'll be fine.

Personally, I don't really rely on foresters to chop down trees for me anymore. In the beginning, I'll have maybe 2 or 3 forest/gatherer pods near my town, and then a few extra wood foresters on the outskirts of town set to one worker, and "plant only". I'll use the surface wood as much as I can, but when I need a big influx of wood, I'll just clear cut one of those extra forests.

I have the stockpile close to my woodcutter, so that all he has to do is walk next door to get wood, go back, cut wood, then walk next door to drop off firewood. Fast. If his house is nearby too, then it's even more efficient.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Build at least one new house every 1-4 years.

An easy way to go about it is to pre-plan your construction. Set the foundation for a bunch of houses in the layout that you want. In other words make like you're building all of those houses (even though you don't have the resources for it), and pause construction. Then, you'll have the layout set and won't have to think about it anymore.

When needed, unpause construction on one of the houses.

Build at least one new house every 1-4 years.

An easy way to go about it is to pre-plan your construction. Set the foundation for a bunch of houses in the layout that you want. In other words make like you're building all of those houses (even though you don't have the resources for it), and pause construction. Then, you'll have the layout set and won't have to think about it anymore.

When needed, unpause construction on one of the houses.

How do you set the order? All I see so far is the Increase Priority button.

- Fishery
- 4-5 houses
- Gatherer's Hut
- Woodcutter's Hut
- Forester Hut
- Crops
- 1 house
- Blacksmith
- Medical
- Quarry
- Mine

Too many houses too fast probably. On hard I build houses 1 at a time so that they don't start having a gang of kids until I have everything else worked out. I build a school pretty fast too. Maybe gatherer's hut before fishery?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

- Fishery
- 4-5 houses
- Gatherer's Hut
- Woodcutter's Hut
- Forester Hut
- Crops
- 1 house
- Blacksmith
- Medical
- Quarry
- Mine

Build a gatherer first. Don't build a quarry and mine so quickly. They wear down your tools fast. Use the surface stone and iron as much as you can first.

Build a gatherer first. Don't build a quarry and mine so quickly. They wear down your tools fast. Use the surface stone and iron as much as you can first.

I can get marginally farther (40+) with pause and build. But food always seems to be an issue. So, basically, I have to build a new house each time two people are added to Labor?

And when do you think I should build a Quarry and Mine? Ultimately, my tools start to fail around year four and need a Blacksmith/Mine combo.

I'm trying to do the Smiles All Around ad population related acheevs, as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can get marginally farther (40+) with pause and build. But food always seems to be an issue. So, basically, I have to build a new house each time two people are added to Labor?

And when do you think I should build a Quarry and Mine? Ultimately, my tools start to fail around year four and need a Blacksmith/Mine combo.

I'm trying to do the Smiles All Around ad population related acheevs, as well.

Population isn't tied to labor. The way population growth works in this game is like this:

When there are two kids of sexable age, the game checks to see if there's an open house. If there is, they move in there and start fucking. If there are no empty homes, the kids stay with their parents until there is open housing available.

You need to keep growing you population at least a little slowly, otherwise you current citizens will stop having new kids because no one moved out of their parents' houses.

That's why one new house about every 1-4 years is good.

You only really need to build a quarry and mine when you run out of surface stone and iron, really. The reason your tools were wearing out so fast is because you had miners. Quarries and mines have increased tool wear when worked.

As for food, one gatherer/forester combo should net you about 1500 or more food for each type of gathered food, with educated workers. That is a very good output/worker value, and is good until farming.

Dezeer

Nice to see people haven't banished this game from their gaming library.

I haven't been playing the game or fallowing the forums since March and was thinking on going to try to get back in to the game as of recent patches. Has there been any talks when the modding support could be coming out? I really want have some kind of map viewer/planner as the game terrain is sometimes really asinine and restricts the way buildings can be placed.

Nice to see people haven't banished this game from their gaming library.

I haven't been playing the game or fallowing the forums since March and was thinking on going to try to get back in to the game as of recent patches. Has there been any talks when the modding support could be coming out? I really want have some kind of map viewer/planner as the game terrain is sometimes really asinine and restricts the way buildings can be placed.

You can place a footprint for a building and immediately pause it. When I first start out I place a lot of buildings that I won't get to forever just to plan ahead.

Dezeer

You can place a footprint for a building and immediately pause it. When I first start out I place a lot of buildings that I won't get to forever just to plan ahead.

Yeah I have done that, but there are spot near the mountains, and sometimes in middle of almost flat ground, where you can't build anything. Just because you couldn't see/remember that there were a square of unbuildable land and I have to re-plan multiple, tens of, buildings just to get nice symmetry. Also trying to place mines in right places.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I almost always build while the game is paused. I will lay out entire city grids and pause all of the buildings while the game is paused, and then slowly unpause them one at a time to allow the city to grow very gradually. This allows me to make changes and strategies without needing to waste resources.

So I've been absolutely hooked on this game all week. I've finally figured it out and have a healthy town of about 100 people.

But I'm having some trouble going forward now - there isn't really much to strive for now that I've built most everything and there's not really a currency or anything to push me towards collecting. How are others handling the seemingly endless mid-end game? I'm just sort of building whatever and upgrading houses here and there, expanding out further and further.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I've been absolutely hooked on this game all week. I've finally figured it out and have a healthy town of about 100 people.

But I'm having some trouble going forward now - there isn't really much to strive for now that I've built most everything and there's not really a currency or anything to push me towards collecting. How are others handling the seemingly endless mid-end game? I'm just sort of building whatever and upgrading houses here and there, expanding out further and further.

Try for some of the more difficult achievements.

Try and make a town of 1000+

Try and do it in a small map.

Mengy

Go for the achievements. They add quite a bit of direction to the game, and many of them are actually quite challenging to get. I still don't have all of them, though I will "soon".

Although honestly I've just found myself playing for the fun of it now and then too. The game can be quite fun and relaxing (and entertaining) when you play with full weather and disasters on and just let whatever happens happen. I've had towns fail in hilarious fashion which was worth the time invested alone. I had one town which was going really well until I let a few nomads in during winter. Of course disease broke out, but then a fire broke out in the middle of town which just happened to burn down my one and only hospital (plus two storage barns). Within one winter my pop went from 100+ to like 20. It was like a huge burnt out ghost town after that, lol.

I get that sentiment for most people but I find it difficult to really care about achievements. Playing dozens of hours just for some titles doesn't really compel me to do it.

I don't have a single achievement yet though. Waiting for one to finally pop!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Got this a couple days ago. Loving it, but I've hit a bit of a wall 13 years or so in. I'm a bit over 50 pop now and people are starving to death. I've got like 25 people working on food, between hunters, gatherers, and fishermen, and somehow that's still not enough. Is it effective to build multiple gathering huts/hunting lodges in the same area or no?

Got this a couple days ago. Loving it, but I've hit a bit of a wall 13 years or so in. I'm a bit over 50 pop now and people are starving to death. I've got like 25 people working on food, between hunters, gatherers, and fishermen, and somehow that's still not enough. Is it effective to build multiple gathering huts/hunting lodges in the same area or no?

30-40 is normally where I start to see people dying off as well, so I tend to start work on a second food related hub around 25.

Mengy

Is it effective to build multiple gathering huts/hunting lodges in the same area or no?

No, not really. With gather huts / hunting lodges / foresters and such, you really only want one of each within their radius, and you want to maximize the number of trees within that radius. That means keep the amount of other buildings in the circle to a minimum. That will allow you to get the most out of your gather huts and such.

No, not really. With gather huts / hunting lodges / foresters and such, you really only want one of each within their radius, and you want to maximize the number of trees within that radius. That means keep the amount of other buildings in the circle to a minimum. That will allow you to get the most out of your gather huts and such.

In the beginning, bunching is good for fast growth.

Hey, I have a quick question. My cousin downloaded this game to his computer, however he is receiving a "missing executable" error message. We already went through the steps on steam for troubleshooting but none of them works. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this fixed?

saunderez

Hey, I have a quick question. My cousin downloaded this game to his computer, however he is receiving a "missing executable" error message. We already went through the steps on steam for troubleshooting but none of them works. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this fixed?
Only thing I can suggest is to validate the game cache. If the file is missing it should redownload it. Otherwise I'd delete local content and try again. It's not a very big game is shouldn't take too long to redownload.

I can't think of anything that can help, but if right click Banished->Properties->Local Files->Verify Integrity of Game Cache didn't do anything, you may have to uninstall and re-download and re-install.

Hey, forgot to say thank you, you guys. It was his anti virus that was stopping it and the graphics card (weird?) but it's all fixed now. Thanks for the help.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No official post yet, but if you enable it in Steam, (right click properties), you can download the new beta 1.04 which says "test out the modkit".

I haven't tried it yet. Dunno what it does.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Doesn't seem like there's any mods in there that were added by the developer. When you click on "mods" the list is empty. I guess it's up to users to make some stuff now.

I was hoping for that milling building he previewed a few months back though.

So building a Gatherer's Hut/Forester Combo in threes is working for me.

57 pop and now everyone is freezing.

I've normally been building multi-food sources before every pop. jump.

Woo! Gonna check it out! Modkit included in the link btw. 52 mb.

Glancing through the readme and if given enough mod support, it could totally change the game. New styles of buildings, new buildings, professions, trees, animals....

Martian

Niiiiice. Cant wait what modders come up with! Hoping for some more building variety and a somewhat easier mode.

On a side note: I have put 35 hrs into this gameand havent gotten a single achievement. Im no fan of achievements or something, but most of those are ridiculously hard (or, depending how you look at it, the game has a million hours of replayability

Mengy

On a side note: I have put 35 hrs into this gameand havent gotten a single achievement. Im no fan of achievements or something, but most of those are ridiculously hard (or, depending how you look at it, the game has a million hours of replayability

I have 82 hours played and have all but two achievements left to get:

Xs2ZqSZ.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mengy1/stats/242920/achievements/

I need Master Trader (traade 100,000 units) and Tenure (have a pop over 500 after 200 years) yet, they seem to be two that take a real long time to get.

I'll get them though, it's just a matter of time now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I need Master Trader (traade 100,000 units) and Tenure (have a pop over 500 after 200 years) yet, they seem to be two that take a real long time to get.

I'll get them though, it's just a matter of time now.

Master Trader isn't that tough, you just gotta move a lot of goods. Making just one trading based town (either firewood or ale or both) will net you that achievement pretty quickly. My town from the challenge thread would have gotten that one no problem.

To do it quickly involves getting to 150 population fast, since that is the threshold where traders bring in their max amount of goods per trip.

Mengy

Master Trader isn't that tough, you just gotta move a lot of goods. Making just one trading based town (either firewood or ale or both) will net you that achievement pretty quickly. My town from the challenge thread would have gotten that one no problem.

To do it quickly involves getting to 150 population fast, since that is the threshold where traders bring in their max amount of goods per trip.

Yeah, I've been trading like mad with a 1000+ pop town I have, so I doubt it will take much longer to get Master Trader. The Tenure one though, even my best and longest city is at like year 140 or something, and even on cheetah speed it takes some time to roll the years on. I think one night I'll just let it run and babysit the city while I watch TV or something.

Top Bottom