• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banished |OT| Its like SimTown, but by one guy instead of Maxis, oh and its great

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been playing it this weekend too while I wait for Tuesday to roll around so I can play the new Cities Skylines. I have one achievement to get yet, Tenure, the 200 year old town with 500 population one, and it's taking for freakin ever.

I really want to try out the Colonial Charter mod but I want that last damn achieve first....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been playing it this weekend too while I wait for Tuesday to roll around so I can play the new Cities Skylines. I have one achievement to get yet, Tenure, the 200 year old town with 500 population one, and it's taking for freakin ever.

I really want to try out the Colonial Charter mod but I want that last damn achieve first....

Yeah, I got bored waiting for that one too lol. I didn't bother getting it. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion once you reach a self sustaining town, and I couldn't be arsed to wait.

Mengy

Yeah, I got bored waiting for that one too lol. I didn't bother getting it. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion once you reach a self sustaining town, and I couldn't be arsed to wait.

You would think so, but three times now I've let this city run overnight hoping to let the years tick by and woken up to a empty deserted town. On two nights my barns got filled with wool and left too little room for food so they all starved to death. Another night it looked like a lack of sex killed off my town, too many old people and not enough babies to replenish the population. I keep trying to set up a city that I can let run overnight that won't die off while I sleep but it hasn't worked yet, lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You would think so, but three times now I've let this city run overnight hoping to let the years tick by and woken up to a empty deserted town. On two nights my barns got filled with wool and left too little room for food so they all starved to death. Another night it looked like a lack of sex killed off my town, too many old people and not enough babies to replenish the population. I keep trying to set up a city that I can let run overnight that won't die off while I sleep but it hasn't worked yet, lol.

It takes a bit of doing to get a self sustaining population. Basically you need a critical mass of people, plus an abundance of housing. Your population will resemble a sine wave since you have periods of die offs and births due to old people not leaving their houses voluntarily for young people.

You also need to make sure that the low peak of your population is always enough to staff your food producing facilities, and the best way to produce the most food with the fewest workers is a firewood trading economy.

Then, just have a bunch of barns for all the stuff to get stored, and you've got a self sustaining town.

It takes a bit of doing to get a self sustaining population. Basically you need a critical mass of people, plus an abundance of housing. Your population will resemble a sine wave since you have periods of die offs and births due to old people not leaving their houses voluntarily for young people.

You also need to make sure that the low peak of your population is always enough to staff your food producing facilities, and the best way to produce the most food with the fewest workers is a firewood trading economy.

Then, just have a bunch of barns for all the stuff to get stored, and you've got a self sustaining town.

Speak to me of your ways.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Speak to me of your ways.

You mean the firewood trading economy?

Here's how it works - firewood and ale are the most profitable goods you can make. The reason is because logs are cheap, and firewood is expensive, and one log produces lots of firewood from an educated log cutter.

So, once you reach a population of 100 or 200 (I think that's the threshold for merchants to start bringing in the max amount of goods), you spam trading posts and woodcutters and stockpiles.

Have them all fairly close together in order to minimize travel time, and produce firewood like a madman. Buy as much raw logs as you can. Stock your trading posts with firewood. You can buy food with the firewood. Set your traders to auto purchase logs and food. Now you'll have a shit ton of food.

Mengy

Woot! Finally got the Tenure achievement, and I now have 100% Banished:

jky1oAA.jpg

That was a tedious one to get.

3phemeral

Finally got around to playing this. It's brutal, but it's fun. I finally got the hang of it only for a tornado to wipe out my entire village. It was early game so I didn't have any buildings that would attract nomads/visitors. Surprised to hear one guy made this.

Im not 100% on this but i just watched an ad on yt for this game: king of avalon dragon warfare and it was using banished footage. I just googled the game but can't find the trailer I just watched, but I'm 90 % certain they were using it. Has anyone seen this?

There seems someone did this before with banished. https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.red...ling_footage_from/?client=ms-android-motorola

I'm sure the name of the game I saw was king of Avalon though.

Jesus fu###### christ this game is worthless. This is the second effin time these idiots are just waiting to die. Why does the ai stop building for no reason? I have 6 builders and 3 labourers, I have all the materials for tailor but they just wont build. The ai literally just waits to die in the winter... so frustrating.

Top Bottom