• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden Review Thread

uWYxgWU.jpg

Acg : Buy

GamingTrend :
80 / 100
Banishers: Ghost of New Eden is a grim and gripping tale of two lovers coming to terms with love and sacrifice. Don't Nod have built another beautiful world to enjoy.

XboxEra:
8.7 / 10.0
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden is a fantastic video game. It is the type that raises the medium and shows how incredible these experiences can be. The combat is good enough to rarely hinder your enjoyment as you help or harm the local populace. In an era where new single-player IPs are hard to find, this one deserves to succeed.

Gaming Age:
7.5 / 10.0
Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden represents Don’t Nod’s latest attempt to try and make the whole action thing work. This time out, though, they’ve taken the novel approach of trying to play to their strengths, by creating a narrative-heavy action game with a heartfelt story and multiple endings that depend on your choices. Does it work? I can definitively state: kinda, sorta, depending on how you look at it.

Always believe in the team. Good on Dontnod putting out a good game. I believe in speaking with my wallet. If you all dont want a gaas only future at least wishlist the game. Peace.

Flabagast

83 on Open Critic, 78 on Metacritic

Sounds pretty great

ACG: Buy

IGN: 7/10

Gaming Bolt: 8/10

Last edited:

Flabagast

My review. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer what I can. No spoiler stuff of course. :)
How is the dialog, is it interesting to follow ?

Also variety in visuals and environments seems pretty thin judging from preview videos, is that really the case ?

Many thanks

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
How is the dialog, is it interesting to follow ?

Also variety in visuals and environments seems pretty thin judging from preview videos, is that really the case ?

Many thanks
Dialogue is good. VO is acted very well but there is a LOT of reading. You can skip those if you're not a fan of it.

Visuals yeah they are thin, though I didn't mind them much since there's a ton of stuff to do in the game and the story itself is quite good.

Mr Hyde

Dontnod have put out some cool shit, like Vampyr and Remember Me. This seems to be another good one. Will probably pick it up after I'm done with Rebirth. I like what I'm seeing so far

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah, no thanks. After watching various gameplay videos I already figured out that this game is not for me as Vampyr was.
Ah, if only Capcom decided to make a reboot of Remember Me with way better combat, this was Don't Nod's best game outside of Life is Strange series (and Jusant which was released last year) with actual combat mechanics.

Last edited:

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
How’s the combat? I’m more into action rpg
The combat is not as deep as God of War. It's not bad, but it's not great either. There's a few combos, a few abilities and you have a musket and that's kind of it. There are nuances to your abilities but don't expect anything close to Ragnarok, but I don't see it as being a deal-breaker either.

I found the game a tad too easy though (played on Normal).

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Alright! Was hoping it gets good reviews. Had my eye on it and now it turned to must buy. Will play over the weekend.

Flabagast

The combat is not as deep as God of War. It's not bad, but it's not great either. There's a few combos, a few abilities and you have a musket and that's kind of it. There are nuances to your abilities but don't expect anything close to Ragnarok, but I don't see it as being a deal-breaker either.

I found the game a tad too easy though (played on Normal).
Have you tried other difficulties ? I'm hesitant going straight into the hardest one.

Also is the side content worth it, notably from a story perspective ?

Vlodril

How close is this to vampyr? I really liked that game and i had hoped they will make another one but alas.

Flabagast

How close is this to vampyr? I really liked that game and i had hoped they will make another one but alas.
Seems to be quite close in terms of key game design principles (semi-open world light ARPG, dialogue-heavy narration, drastic choices whether to kill or not NPCs, dark and moody setting, etc..) although it appears to be more linear. Devs have said this could be considered as a spiritual successor

Sentenza

I expected this to be an aggressively mediocre game, and with a current metacritic of 76 it sounds like I wasn't too far off the mark.

EDIT- Now 79 apparently.

Last edited:

YuLY

This is dead on arrival just like Immortals of Aveum and Atlas Fallen. These low effort run of the mill fantasy worlds AA games are a no go, dunno why people keep making them.

Its not the problem of being AA, but at least try to give the impression that you wanna go big, a good example is Greedfall. They knew they wanted to do the Bioware formula and it was a decent game that sold decently and it has a sequel in the works. But these other games are so weird, they got no idea what they wanna be, either action, either rpg, the world/lore is super generic and basic with not much to attract and differentiate, just stop.

Last edited:

Stamps1646

I have it on my wishlist and plan to pick it up in May.

Helldivers 2, Death Stranding: DC & Sons of the Forest are locking down my Feb atm.
Dragons' Dogma II and Horizon: Forbidden West have Mar-April packed.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thought this looked decent and glad it’s reviewing well. Just out at a bad time for me right now. Will definitely pick it up a bit later though.

Variahunter

This looks bad.

I still don't understand why AA studios want to do narrative games. They suck at it, the presentation is always poor. Why should I suffer your bad writing, bad cutscenes and animations ?
They need to focus on gameplay, level design and universe, yet all they do is throwing money at poor dialogue with uninteresting "detective" shit to do (oh look when you push R2 you scan the environment and there is big colored objects you can push X on to suffer another shitty dialogue or worse, characters talking to themselves).

This is so bad, but normies love that shit apparently.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I really liked Vampyr, but it was partially because I wanted to play a game with similar vibes to VtM Bloodlines. Here I'm not really sold on the world or the characters. I'll wait for a massive sale or until it appears in one of the subs.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This is dead on arrival just like Immortals of Aveum and Atlas Fallen. These low effort run of the mill fantasy worlds AA games are a no go, dunno why people keep making them.

Its not the problem of being AA, but at least try to give the impression that you wanna go big, a good example is Greedfall. They knew they wanted to do the Bioware formula and it was a decent game that sold decently and it has a sequel in the works. But these other games are so weird, they got no idea what they wanna be, either action, either rpg, the world/lore is super generic and basic with not much to attract and differentiate, just stop.

I liked Atlas fallen though. A fun time and adventure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I had no idea what this game was, but watched some videos and seems like it's a pretty decent surprise release.

Hohenheim

Hmm.. lots of comparisons to God of War gameplay wise. I find the combat in those games quite boring,but if this has a good story with choice/consequence ala "Vampyr" I might try it out.

thatJohann

I love Don't Nod games but not sure if I want to pick this up since I got so bored with God of War Ragnarok and never finished it.

Gotta see if the gameplay is different enough.

Top Bottom