• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

Kyanrute

Nor do I like ttk jumping on what I assume is bait by gorlak. Preplanning targetted actions publicly is just going to achieve nothing when we do not know just how scum can and will screw up the plan.

Nor do I like ttk jumping on what I assume is bait by gorlak. Preplanning targetted actions publicly is just going to achieve nothing when we do not know just how scum can and will screw up the plan.

I agree it's probably dumb, especially the more I think about it -- but I covered that in my response to him. It's really not a foolproof way at all like the way he presents it.

I am given a scenario. "X thing is happening" or "we have reason to believe X information is available", what do you want to do?

N1 was something about suspicious activity happening somewhere in the bar, and N2 mentioned a specific suspicious figure, but it was different from N1 in that it let me follow a specific player to confirm / deny my supicions.

But aren't your six options specifically supposed to be your options for your night action? Why would the second night force you to follow, when the first night didn't? And you said your drink actions lets you sit the night out, when, in this scenario, denying the option to follow essentially does the same thing.

And why specifically did you choose the options you did?

Another thing that bothers me is how in line these options all seem

The bathroom scene is mostly all flavor; it's never said how many people are talking, just that they're trying to bring down the bar. They're talking about possible targets, like who could be a threat or something, and there's a bit about one of them keeping watch on people, like I said earlier. Surveillance and all that. It's mentioned that one of them has a really deep, gravely voice, and another says "bruh" a lot, but I don't know if this is just flavor or something else. It's never specified.

There's a part about them wanting to bring down the bar because they're in cahoots with Kingsley's competitor. I had placed the bug under the sink, in case you wanted to know for some reason.

Assuming here that the first line is the scenario you're given, I can't really imagine you could have used interrogate, attack, or follow the first night. Second night, you can't really use listen.

You hear about some people trying to bring down the bar in the bathroom, what options could you have hear:

1) Listen - the option you chose
2) Follow - doesn't work here, it's not like this group is moving
3) Attack - might be an option, ridiculously risky. Maybe you could've attacked, but if I was Cabot, I'm not sure they would really expect a pr to attack a group night one. So maybe it's technically an option, but I doubt it's one that can realistically be expected

4) Interrogate - similar to attack
5) Drink - possible, could you have used this on night 2 btw
6) Ask for assistance - possible, could you have used this on night 2 btw?

If you must know, the first night i used the command "LISTEN" and the second night (last night) I used the command "FOLLOW". I followed a player out into a dark alley, we fought, I got injured and i thought they did too, but they actually came out unscathed. Meaning, there's a bulletproof player in the game. And, by my own logic, that also means there is probably a strongkill of some kind. Which makes sense, because one of the dudes in the bathroom was talking in a deep voice. Don't know what the "bruh" dude means, but it reminds me of a partier / frat boy of some kind. Don't know what kind of role that would hint at.

Last night the mission was something about "we have reason to believe we have identified a potential power within the bar, choose a player to follow". Obviously I followed ttk because he's suspicious af and his laser on me doesn't really make sense and I'm frustrated with it. Anyway, I believe him to be the BP. So this whole thing about him tracking me is utter bullshit and he's just doing it to get me mislynched.

However, there is nothing in the flavor that specifically hints at him being scum. All I know is that I followed him out into the alley in the back, he made a phone call of some kind (I did not overhear it) and then a cat ran by and drew his attention. He saw me, he pulled a knife, I got wounded, but I managed to hurt him too. He's fine though, meanwhile I've got a nasty cut from hip to rib.
Also, this scenario....
Holy shit, now that I think about it, what's the hell is up with this scenario.

"We have reason to believe we have identified a potential power within the bar, choose a player to follow"

A. They identified a power, wow, well I just learned we have scum roles and town power roles, I just learned so much.

B. Why would it let you choose from the whole list of players as to who you will follow, when the whole scenario is geared around the potential power that was just identified? We probably have a bunch of different power roles, what would have happened had you followed another scum player/town power role. What about an ordinary player? The scenario and the option are entirely separated, your chances of getting a result relating to the scenario itself seems ridiculously small.

Hayper, you gonna vote for Wereismydragon ?

Leaning that way, and building a case, but I want to make sure I get answers to my questions. I don't want something to show up that suddenly makes me beliee she's town after I've helped create and a bandwagon on her, and if she's scum I wanted as solid of a case against her as I can get.

I imagine it comes down to multiple factors. # remaining would be a big one, along with player personalities, and whether or not they felt like town was onto them. Team composition is important too, I could see more risky behavior if a scum team has a lynch bomb then if they don't.

Glad I got at least one response here.

I guess the line I'm thinking along here would be:

When Scum tends to make very risky moves:
1) Early game, they are in a solid position, and the "scum leaders" (in general, in groups, there always seems to be 1-4 people who tend to lead the group) are the types of players to go for risky moves. For an example, see the Blargonaut and Kawl_USC pair's day 1 claim of a miller (and then a tracker) in Love Boat.

http://outergafia.com/post/24207

2) Odds are against them, and if the game goes "as expected", scum is most likely going to lose. Say, for example, when they are down to 1 or 2 members earlier than expected. For an example, Swamped and Terrabute20xx's play in Gafia 1 (had already eliminated two other scum members, and the first died day 1, with the entire scum team being the only ones voting for the second highest vote iirc)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=180615036#post180615036

3) They're just playing for fun/are desperate, just messing around at this point. This sometimes goes with the second option. For examples of this one, nin1000 in cthulhu:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178020023&postcount=3943

Most risky moves involve a significant payoff for scum (or are the only thing keeping them alive). Also, they aren't necessarily fully thought out (In GAFIA 1, the scum team's gambit failed because they screwed up what the alternate win condition of the neutral role they claimed was), scum don't play perfectly

When Scum tends to make very conservative and safe moves:
Want to clarify a couple things before I say when this happens:
1. This doesn't refer to when scum plays solid, mixes things up, avoids obviously risky plays. Scum not doing much to discourage a day's proceedings, when it has no real way to backfire on them, shouldn't be considered a conservative move so much as a solid and reasonable one.

2. I'm not too sure how accurate this list would be, quite possibly because playing very conservatively tends to be something you notice if you've actually been reading through scum chats, and also because it doesn't stick in your memory like a good gambit does. Feedback on this list especially would be helpful

In any case, scum tend to play conservatively when:
1) They are teetering, essentially on the edge of a lynch or the game going their way or against them. Differs from when they are more likely to make risky moves in that the risky plays are when the game is going against them.

2) They already got screwed over by risky moves from their members. I want to say that this sometimes includes veteran scum remembering when they got screwed over in another game by risky plays.

3) They are scared of a pr, but typically more in the sense of its existence (say they have a reason to believe certain prs are in the game, based on their own roles). This doesn't refer to the idea of a rampant exposed cop they can't safely kill, because that's an example of the game going against them if the status quo remains the same.

Essentially, barring the crazy day 1 gambits, scum tend to play generally more safe when playing defensively, and more risky when they are nearly backed into the corner. This of course is variable to the players themselves (trust me, this conversation would be useless otherwise). When scum have the solid upper hand, they tend to play more balanced, and help/let the game continue along its current path

Timeaisis

But aren't your six options specifically supposed to be your options for your night action? Why would the second night force you to follow, when the first night didn't? And you said your drink actions lets you sit the night out, when, in this scenario, denying the option to follow essentially does the same thing.

And why specifically did you choose the options you did?

Another thing that bothers me is how in line these options all seem

Assuming here that the first line is the scenario you're given, I can't really imagine you could have used interrogate, attack, or follow the first night. Second night, you can't really use listen.

You hear about some people trying to bring down the bar in the bathroom, what options could you have hear:

1) Listen - the option you chose
2) Follow - doesn't work here, it's not like this group is moving
3) Attack - might be an option, ridiculously risky. Maybe you could've attacked, but if I was Cabot, I'm not sure they would really expect a pr to attack a group night one. So maybe it's technically an option, but I doubt it's one that can realistically be expected

4) Interrogate - similar to attack
5) Drink - possible, could you have used this on night 2 btw
6) Ask for assistance - possible, could you have used this on night 2 btw?

Also, this scenario....
Holy shit, now that I think about it, what's the hell is up with this scenario.

"We have reason to believe we have identified a potential power within the bar, choose a player to follow"

A. They identified a power, wow, well I just learned we have scum roles and town power roles, I just learned so much.

B. Why would it let you choose from the whole list of players as to who you will follow, when the whole scenario is geared around the potential power that was just identified? We probably have a bunch of different power roles, what would have happened had you followed another scum player/town power role. What about an ordinary player? The scenario and the option are entirely separated, your chances of getting a result relating to the scenario itself seems ridiculously small.

Yeah, this whole thing is not adding up for me. But I may be misinterpreting what WAMD means? It's really hard to say.

Hyper, are you going somewhere with this or is it just general theorizing?

I'm going somewhere with this, wouldn't bring it up otherwise, but I'd prefer feedback on it, because I'm not sure how true that post is. If it is, or generally true, I can work with it, but if I'm way off on that, then I'd rather not go with it

Being all "only the votes matter, everything else is secondary" in harry potter and werewolf 2 and being WAAAY off on the scum team is making me a little more cautious on this approach

Kyanrute

Wild amounts of generalizing inc. Scum play conservative when there is no need for more. They go beyond that when they cannot obtain the desired result with a safer play. I could see this as a some sort of a unrealistic norm. In reality things are more complex with people having different personalities and playstyles.

Wild amounts of generalizing inc. Scum play conservative when there is no need for more. They go beyond that when they cannot obtain the desired result with a safer play. I could see this as a some sort of a unrealistic norm. In reality things are more complex with people having different personalities and playstyles.

I'm not really talking about conservative as in playing safe, I mean in the sense that they go for the safe move again and again and again

This includes night actions and their behavior during the day

Kyanrute

I'm not really talking about conservative as in playing safe, I mean in the sense that they go for the safe move again and again and again

This includes night actions and their behavior during the day

Safe plays over and over again could be a sign that from scum's pov, things are going well. Or just a playstyle thing.

Gorlak

Banned
Hyper, are you going somewhere with this or is it just general theorizing?

Nah, he's just posting rubbish to divert attention and mislead us all.

How could scum play? Oh wow, such games, much strategy. They are unpredictable. Now we'll win for sure.

I think Hyper is preparing that Dragonz bus.
Eh, if you think that I'm scum, then yes, I am indeed preparing that WAMD bus

Nah, he's just posting rubbish to divert attention and mislead us all.

How could scum play? Oh wow, such games, much strategy. They are unpredictable. Now we'll win for sure.

ok, then.

Just gonna wait for dragonz to respond to my questions, but I doubt I should have too many more. Will put the purpose of my weird scum playstyle stuff in the post if you're wondering

Gorlak

Banned

Ok. Let's put this aside than.

What do you think about a certain Pottery player? Hounding after an ordinary for two days straight only to announce "he'll go after me" for a post which's purpose was obvious. Today he didn't do shit other than announcing to go after me again. I don't know how Salva plays, maybe he needs persons to tunnel on and as of now I don't get scum vibes anymore from him than the rest of the players. Just find it odd.

I feel like I'm too lightly connected to this game. Lone_Prodigy pull me back in please. You know... I'm biased. Are you scum?

Gorlak

Banned
Shot in the dark:

batsnacks
Dragonz/ttk
Hyper
Crab
and a fifth player... maybe Dusk.

#sickreads

If we mislynch today we are getting dangerously close to losing the game btw. 16 players (barring any additional night kill) with 5 scum is lylo.

Gorlak

Banned
this readlist is probably shit, but we'll find more scum once we hit the first.

I'm really surprised by the lack of interest in bats.

SOME people really don't want to talk about him, I wonder why that could be?
(in loving memory of sophia)

nin1000

Banned
Last night i was at a Bar. A very nice Bar. The same one you all were having your drinks in.
RR2NmcN.jpg
I then suddenly got approached by a handsome lady.
She offered me a free shot, me being me ofc i could not deny that one since it was for free and you dont say a thing if it is free.
I took the shot!!!
AND IT WAS DISGUSTING!
Thank god i am strong enough to endure such a bad drink!!

nin1000

Banned

Gorlak

Banned
This is real fun, you guys. Another night and another dull nothingness from the americans. Duh.

Ah well, I don't know how to scumhunt and with a lack of interest by everybody I'll probably just forsake this game.

Kyan are you around? Wanna shitpost? Nin is doing an excellent job as well. Ah, fuck it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my life is now very unbusy. I was quite heavily involved in campaigning against Brexit, so that shit has gone right tits up. Let's get us some fucking mafia so I have at least some small joy in my life.

Gorlak

Banned
Well, my life is now very unbusy. I was quite heavily involved in campaigning against Brexit, so that shit has gone right tits up. Let's get us some fucking mafia so I have at least some small joy in my life.

Great. Tell me, why did you check Dusk yesterday? Why did you reveal yourself again?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Great. Tell me, why did you check Dusk yesterday? Why did you reveal yourself again?

Three reasons: firstly, there was a reasonable chance I got killed early and I wanted to use my cop power at the first opportunity; otherwise it's just a waste. Secondly, I have a medley of other powers, one of which I have used but am not disclosing right now, but am restricted to one per D/N pair; saving my cop to later meant using others earlier (or wasting them), neither of which I want. Thirdly, Dusk had sufficiently odd behaviour in D1 I suspected he'd dominate discussion in D2; if town, this would have been an enormous waste of time, if scum, all the better for us. There is also a fourth reason that again I do not wish to disclose.

nin1000

Banned
Kyan are you around? Wanna shitpost? Nin is doing an excellent job as well. Ah, fuck it.

If you cannot read between the lines Gorlak you just have to give up, since I have to be sincere and tell you that you straight up suck in this game. I mean i at least give out some information that is valuable you just complain like an old man. Try to enjoy the game man.

Gorlak

Banned
Three reasons: firstly, there was a reasonable chance I got killed early and I wanted to use my cop power at the first opportunity; otherwise it's just a waste. Secondly, I have a medley of other powers, one of which I have used but am not disclosing right now, but am restricted to one per D/N pair; saving my cop to later meant using others earlier (or wasting them), neither of which I want. Thirdly, Dusk had sufficiently odd behaviour in D1 I suspected he'd dominate discussion in D2; if town, this would have been an enormous waste of time, if scum, all the better for us. There is also a fourth reason that again I do not wish to disclose.

I've already shown that we are close to losing. If you have any info that would help us to catch scum there is no reason to hold it back. Since you expect to die early not revealing it directly contradicts your own logic.

Gorlak

Banned
If you cannot read between the lines Gorlak you just have to give up, since I have to be sincere and tell you that you straight up suck in this game. I mean i at least give out some information that is valuable you just complain like an old man. Try to enjoy the game man.

If you can't read my hints, than that's not my problem. sucker.

Gorlak

Banned
Why would you expect a poison drink? Why would you expect to die, nin? Do you think somebody hates you this much this game?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've already shown that we are close to losing. If you have any info that would help us to catch scum there is no reason to hold it back. Since you expect to die early not revealing it directly contradicts your own logic.

You're assuming too much about what precisely I've done.

Having said that, I agree very much about batsnacks, and also hyper.

Gorlak

Banned
You're assuming too much about what precisely I've done.

You revealed your power because you think you're a likely target.

You keep other relevant info a secret which would make it easier to verify if your town or not because ... reasons. This won't help us if you die.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You revealed your power because you think you're a likely target.

You keep other relevant info a secret which would make it easier to verify if your town or not because ... reasons. This won't help us if you die.

The reasons will become apparent when I die.

Top Bottom