• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barney Martin, Jerry's dad on the show 'Seinfeld' has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
LOS ANGELES - Barney Martin, a former New York City detective who went into show business and became best known for playing Jerry Seinfeld's father Morty on the comedian's hit television series, has died. He was 82.

barneymartin.JPG

Martin died of cancer Monday at his Studio City home, according to his publicist, Jennifer Glassman.

Born March 3, 1923, in the New York City borough of Queens, Martin served as a navigator in the Air Force during World War II before starting a 20-year career as a New York City police detective.

Martin showed a talent for making deputy police commissioners laugh during presentations. In the 1950s, he began writing on the side for comedy shows such as "Name That Tune" and "The Steve Allen Show."

Martin got his start in film when Mel Brooks (news) featured him in "The Producers" in 1968. That role launched Martin into Broadway theater, where he appeared in several musicals, including "South Pacific," "The Fantasticks," All American" and "How Now Dow Jones."

He is credited with creating the role of Roxy's unappreciated husband, Amos Hart, in the musical "Chicago."

Martin also appeared in several television series in the 1990s, including "The Tony Randall Show," "US," "Sydney" and "Zorro and Son."

In "Seinfeld," Martin was the third actor to play the part of Seinfeld's father and became the one most identified with the role of the Florida retiree.

He said at the show's wrap party in 1998: "Playing Jerry's dad was like having whipped cream on top of a mountain of ice cream."

He is survived by his wife and son. A daughter died in 2002 of cancer.

Hotdamn, rest in peace. It sounds like he had one amazing life though, so it's not a complete tragedy.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
He was the third actor to play Morty? I saw the original actor that played him on the DVD of Seasons 1 & 2, but I don't remember them mentioning anyone else besides Barney Martin during the commentary.

miyuru

Ah jeez this totally sucks :(

But on the flipside, he's had a good run, so yeah, everyone's time comes at one point or another.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
That's a shame.

sorry, RIP. He was very funny on the show :)
And I too only remember 2 Mortys. I think the first one only appeared on 1 show..

Guzim

Morty was one of my favorite characters on that show. I love when Jerry got him the #1 Dad shirt, and the Mendelbaums were upset about that. :lol :lol :lol

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom