• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baseball's Hall of Fame to honor 'The Simpsons'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bart: Wow, how many homeruns are you gonna hit with that?
Homer: Let's see...we play 30 games. 10 bats per game...Mmm, 3000!

krae_man

Uh actually $50,000/game would have been a pay increase for Jose Canseco. He earned 4.3 million in 1992 which is only $26543/game. Mr Burns paid him almost double.

And I'll save you some trouble:

Uh actually $50,000/game would have been a pay increase for Jose Canseco. He earned 4.3 million in 1992 which is only $26543/game. Mr Burns paid him almost double.

C6ViyQy.gif

Officer Eddie: Well well, Steve Sax, from New York City.
Officer Lou: I heard some guy got killed in New York City and they never solved the case. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you, Steve?
Steve Sax: But there are hundreds of unsolved murders in New York City.
Officer Lou: You don't know when to keep your mouth shut, do you, Saxxy Boy?

Definitely a top ten episode for me. One of the funniest. And probably the best use of guest stars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Apparently this joke was one of the main sources of ire for a couple of the cast members lol

Can someone actually explain what this is all about? Why was the cast upset? Which part of the cast?

Edit:

Oh the guest starring cast? I kept thinking the actual main cast. I found this:

"Homer at the Bat" took a long time to produce.[5] It was written by John Swartzwelder, who is a big baseball fan,[6] but was suggested by Sam Simon, who wanted an episode filled with real Major League Baseball players.[5] Executive producers Al Jean and Mike Reiss doubted that they would be able to get nine players, thinking that they would be able to get three at best. They succeeded, and the nine players who agreed to guest star were recorded over a period of six months,[7] whenever they were playing the Los Angeles Dodgers or California Angels.[5] Each player recorded their part in roughly five minutes and spent the next hour writing autographs for the staff.[8] In several cases, the writers were unable to get the player who was their first choice.[5] Two of the players who turned down the chance to guest star were Ryne Sandberg and Carlton Fisk.[8]

Jose Canseco disliked the original part written for him in the episode and asked for it to be rewritten
All of the players were cooperative except for Jose Canseco, who was intimidating.[5] He disliked his original part and insisted it be rewritten, and the writers grudgingly[6] made him as heroic as possible.[5] He was originally slated to wake up in bed with Edna Krabappel and miss the game, but Canseco's then-wife, Esther Haddad, objected.[9][10] He disliked his caricature, stating that "the animation looked nothing like [him],"[9] but that he found the acting was very easy.[11] When asked in 2007 about his part by the San Jose Mercury News, he responded, "that was 100 years ago," hung up the phone and did not answer any of the paper's subsequent calls for an interview about his guest spot.[9]

Ken Griffey, Jr. did not understand his line "there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited" and got quite frustrated when he was recording it. He was directed by Mike Reiss, and his father Ken Griffey, Sr. was also present, trying to coach his son.[7] Roger Clemens, who made his own chicken noises, was directed by Jeff Martin, as was Wade Boggs.[6] Mike Reiss directed most of the other players.[7] Mike Scioscia accepted his guest spot in "half a second," while Ozzie Smith has stated that he would like to guest star again "so [he] can get out [of the Springfield Mystery spot]."[11] Don Mattingly, who was forced to shave off his "sideburns" by Mr. Burns during the episode, would later have an actual "haircut controversy", while he was playing for the New York Yankees. The coaching staff forced him to cut his long hair, and was briefly dropped from the team line-up for not doing so. Many people believed the joke in the episode to be a reference to the incident, but "Homer at the Bat" was recorded a year before it happened.[10][11] Many of the guest stars, including Terry Cashman, Wade Boggs and Darryl Strawberry all admit that they are more well known because of their appearance in the episode, Cashman having "Talkin' Softball" requested more often than "Talkin' Baseball".[11]

One of the hardest pieces of editing was the hypnotist segment, which featured several of the guest stars speaking in unison. It was difficult because the parts were recorded over a period of several months and thus it was hard to sync their voices.[7] Rich Moore was originally intended to direct the episode, but as he did not know anything about baseball he was switched with Jim Reardon, who was a baseball fan. Moore was given the episode "Lisa the Greek" instead.[12] Many of the player designs were difficult, because the animators had a hard time designing real world people during the early years.[12]

The hair issue with Mattingly is hilarious. Only The Simpsons could predict some shit like that...

sw26

I'm from the UK and have no knowledge of or affinity for baseball whatsoever, but this is probably my favourite episode of the show ever.

So good.

Can someone actually explain what this is all about? Why was the cast upset? Which part of the cast?

Edit:

Oh the guest starring cast? I kept thinking the actual main cast. I found this:

The hair issue with Mattingly is hilarious. Only The Simpsons could predict some shit like that...

No

Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/the-simpsons-classic-homer-at-the-bat-59022

In the audio commentary, the writers and producers acknowledge that Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner hated the episode because it shoved the family deep into the background, so it could focus on big-name guest stars that were a huge draw at the time and would be a huge draw today.

"Homer at the Bat" was not remotely close to what you might consider a typical Simpsons episode. You have Chief Wiggum (sounding more like a Edward G. Robinson rip-off than a fully formed character) acting responsibly, ordering his team to stop shooting in the air in post-home run celebration. Ralph, of all people, outwits Bart at picking players for sandlot baseball. Lisa, normally so moralistic and holier-than-thou, taunts Darryl Strawberry and brings him to tears. These weren't the conventional character patterns that had worked so well, and one could see why cast members Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner openly hated Swartzwelder's script.

http://deadspin.com/5886723/the-mak...hat-conquered-prime-time-20-years-ago-tonight

Regular cast members Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner disliked the episode because of its focus on the guest stars and its surreal tone. They were particularly annoyed by the Mattingly sideburns joke.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_at_the_Bat

Richie

The characterization complaints seem so weird to me. Wiggum had ocassional moments of competence here and there when the police department got nuts, like that time he told them to stop putting squirrels down their pants (and both that and the instance in Homer At The Bat are extremely quick jokes anyway). In those years Lisa wasn't above causing mischief: off the top of my head, in the same season, she gleefully mocks Bart as he desperately runs after the school bus he's just missed, and has no problem chasing him alongside her friends during a slumber party. Lastly, Ralph doesn't outwit Bart, he lucks out because the big league players happen to appear right after Bart's had his turn picking, which makes it hilarious.

norm9

That's awesome. Hopefully some of the old timers still not on the ballot can have a good laugh about it.

Ithil

That's impossible, no one can give more than 100%, by definition that is the most that anyone can give.

My Childhood

It was such a simpler time

Great memories of watching Prime Simpsons back in the late 80's and 90's.

I stopped watching sometime during the 2001-2003 range. It was never the same as the OG era

T__T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom