• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City Riddler trailer revealed

Fuck this game, it uses UDK!! Right gaf?.........Right???

No seriously though, my bat-boner is rock hard for this game. You could almost say its.......Rocksteady and quivering with anticipation. Lol!

Going to play the crap out of this game. I 100% both the xbox, ps3, pc, and pc GOTY versions of Arkham Asylum. Love it!

Morkins said:
I don't understand why people keep saying it seems like they are copying Saw... The Riddler has ALWAYS done this stuff. Death traps related to figuring out some sort of riddle is the entire point of his character. It is his modus operandi. Saying is is like Saw is kind of missing the point...
People are saying it's like SAW because Rocksteady is aping that style with the trailer. The quick cuts, the Riddler behind a bunch of of TV sets, victims dangling before their death, ominous speech. It's clear and apparent the vibe they were going with in the trailer.

Of course the Riddler has been doing this shit for years so it doesn't matter, I just don't like that they're trying to make him look like a ripoff.

imoTEP12

Games looks so good, watched the 12 minute gameplay footage on that site as well, has a couple of parts I didn't see in any e3 footage

The Hermit

JazzmanZ said:
A4POf.png

Hello batman...lets play a game...

Pretty much... and I like it!

Kinyou

Loved the Riddler interview tapes in Arkham Asylum:

Riddler: What is it that walks on four legs, then two and finally on three legs?

Dr. Young: A human being. As a baby it crawls on four legs. As an adult it walks on two, and in later years it uses a cane

Riddler: (laughs) Good try. But the answer to all three is a baby. True it crawls on all fours, but cut off it legs, and it can only wiggle on two limbs. Give it a crutch; it can hobble around on three. You see?

Dr. Young: That's horrible how can you joke about that?

Riddler: Easily Doctor. It's not my baby.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Goddamn it people. The Riddler was leaving riddles and clues and shoving people into elaborate death traps long, long, long before Jigsaw (a fucking play on the Riddler name) ever chained Wesley to a toilet.

Riddler -> Jigsaw -> Riddler.

I love his voice, but I'm not crazy about his design (we saw a front view of him in the E3 demo). I wish the characters looked more like D 'Anda's concept art (in the first game).

But I love how the Riddler puzzles will actually be deathtraps now!

Glorious. And yes, you whippersnappers need to understand that the Riddler was jigsaw before jigsaw was even a twinkle in some dude's eye. Respeck yo elduhz

So how open is the city? I really only was expecting it to be sort of broken off into sections metroid style. I personally couldn't see Batman in such an open world, like Spiderman or Superman would do int heir titles. So can you literally just walk around and do street cases or something? Is this linear story in an open world like Mafia or LA NOIRE? Are there side missions? Anyone know whats up?

Game is looking incredible still.

NecrumSlavery said:
So how open is the city? I really only was expecting it to be sort of broken off into sections metroid style. I personally couldn't see Batman in such an open world, like Spiderman or Superman would do int heir titles. So can you literally just walk around and do street cases or something? Is this linear story in an open world like Mafia or LA NOIRE? Are there side missions? Anyone know whats up?

Game is looking incredible still.
It's a linear story, but you can always go off on your own to do sidequests, like the Riddler's challenges.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Creepy, I loved it, give me more!!! Lol, and the Riddler is supposed to have a small role... Wow

calder

Only Uncharted 3 rivals my frothing demand for this game. I would pay $200 to buy it tomorrow lol, I just can't wait. I actually looked at the calendar for upcoming games to try to find a nice flow of good releases to spread out and help me wait (Deus Ex: HR, Resistance 3, some of the HD compilations are coming out soon I guess).

J_incredible

Neo Member
Interesting. I wonder if the character will pay homage to Jim Carrey's persona of The Riddler from the movies. Maybe make him a bit darker and demented.

Vire

New concept art for Gotham Museum aka Penguin's Lair:

ry3y9.jpg

JwgJR.png

"The villain has been confirmed to be situated in Gotham's Museum, crammed with his prized collectables that keep his thugs armed with Arkham City's finest weaponry."

imoTEP12

J_incredible said:
Interesting. I wonder if the character will pay homage to Jim Carrey's persona of The Riddler from the movies. Maybe make him a bit darker and demented.

I hope not, god I hated Carrey's riddler with a passion

Sn4ke_911 said:
Hidden riddle in trailer. Can GAF solve it?

6ugnU.png

My guess is that it's something to do with the equations. I saw the words "puppet" "sharp" "does" "me" "string?" "strange". I'm sure there are other words in there. And there are numbers within these words that probably mean something as well.

Someone on youtube solved it already:

The trailer flashed words with numbers in them, the words are as follows:

pup(1)pet Kee(18)p wh(2)at t(5)o Shar(8)p t(13)his doe(5)s m(1)e a(20) i(20)t Ridd(9)le str(2)ing? t(20)ake o(14)n Str(15)ange

Rearranged they spell out -

Ridd(9)le m(1)e t(13)his wh(2)at doe(5)s i(20)t t(20)ake t(5)o Kee(18)p a(20) Shar(8)p pup(1)pet o(14)n (25)a Str(15)ange str(21)ing?

If you correlate the numbers to the alphabet, it spells out: I am better than you

From what I gathered in the trailer with the words containing numbers shown....The numbers represent the letters of the alphabet. From the listed numbers it spells out:

I am better than you

Then with the actual words, when placed in a order comes out something like:

Riddle me this....What does it take to keep a Sharp puppet on a Strange string?

I really don't have an answer for that yet. But from reading the comics that bridge the two games together, Hugo Strange seems to be controlling Mayor Sharp with some sort of hypnosis/brainwashing.

Also the other riddle that is shown in the trailer is:

I spy with my riddle eye,
can you see...what I see?
There's an...Amusing transfusion causing confusion.

Could be something related to The Joker being sick and dying needing blood transfusions. As shown in the early teaser trailer for Arkham City.

Would love to see some other gaf members help out figuring out some of the riddles. The official boards for this game are pretty crazy and plagued with people posting information that is already discovered.

Vire

Hey Batfans,

New screens of Robin in the Arkham City comic courtesy of IGN:

batman-arkham-city-20110713092032663.jpg

batman-arkham-city-20110713092104302.jpg

What does everyone think of his new look for AC? I think it's pretty badass...

Vire

Crewnh said:
It looks pretty awful and nothing like any of the Robins.

I think that's the point. Every design of Robin in the past has been overly garish and cheesy. I could never take a character whose nickname was "Boy Wonder" seriously.

Vire said:
I think that's the point. Every design of Robin in the past has been overly garish and cheesy. I could never take a character whose nickname was "Boy Wonder" seriously.
If the point was not to be true to the character's design and motif, then Rocksteady succeeded. This looks cheesier than every Robin design after Tim, Steph and Damian's. Robin is not supposed to look grim and dark, he's supposed to be the antithesis of Batman.

sophora

Well that's a different take on the Riddler, but not too surprising. Feels fresh and makes me even more excited for the release, it's going to be a fun Holiday.

Vire

Crewnh said:
If the point was not to be true to the character's design and motif, then Rocksteady succeeded. This looks cheesier than every Robin design after Tim, Steph and Damian's. Robin is not supposed to look grim and dark, he's supposed to be the antithesis of Batman.
Rocksteady's universe is all about being gritty and dark. If they didn't change Robin's appearance, he would certainly look out of place and stick out like a sore thumb. Penguin received similar treatments by having his monocle be replaced by a glass bottle that was shoved into his eye.

If you don't like this take on the Batman mythology; go back to watching the Saturday morning cartoons instead.

Just for curiosity sake, which design would you have wanted them to give with?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vire said:
Rocksteady's universe is all about being gritty and dark. If they didn't change Robin's appearance, he would certainly look out of place and stick out like a sore thumb. Penguin received similar treatments by having his monocle be replaced by a glass bottle that was shoved into his eye.

If you don't like this take on the Batman mythology; go back to watching the Saturday morning cartoons instead.

Well, that's just stupid.

Vire said:
Yes and so are the comics and yet they can still be gritty and dark with Robin around. Odd how that works, no? He wouldn't look out of place at all, when was the last time you've seen Robin? Or are you going off his pixie boots and circus incarnation? Oh and thanks for bringing up Rockseady's Penguin design. He has a bottle bottom in his eye, that's so like totally dark, cool and extreme. I'm sure the character designers were high fiving each other there.

Why should I? I can criticize their decisions for character designs if I want to. Doesn't mean I won't play the game, which I'm sure will be awesome. And what does the cartoon have to with anything? I didn't even mention the cartoon, but speaking of which, BTAS was a hell of a lot more gritty and dark than Arkham Asylum was and they got away with Robin too. Which is funny since Dini did so much writing for the show.

250px-Robin_v2_150_art.jpg

I am digging it. Loving the hood with the cape. Thank god he doesn't have flesh tone tights.

I would like to see a version of Robin that the people of the internet would put together. Judging by some of the paint overs seen in the "preorder Robin thread", it would be pretty laughable.

Vire

Crewnh said:
Yes and so are the comics and yet they can still be gritty and dark with Robin around. Odd how that works, no? He wouldn't look out of place at all, when was the last time you've seen Robin? Or are you going off his pixie boots and circus incarnation? Oh and thanks for bringing up Rockseady's Penguin design. He has a bottle bottom in his eye, that's so like totally dark, cool and extreme. I'm sure the character designers were high fiving each other there.

Why should I? I can criticize their decisions for character designs if I want to. Doesn't mean I won't play the game, which I'm sure will be awesome. And what does the cartoon have to with anything? I didn't even mention the cartoon, but speaking of which, BTAS was a hell of a lot more gritty and dark than Arkham Asylum was and they got away with Robin too. Which is funny since Dini did so much writing for the show.

250px-Robin_v2_150_art.jpg

The cowl is more reminiscent of Dr. Doom's design than a "pixie boot and circus incarnation" as you would put it. I think the iteration you posted of Robin in the picture is perfectly fine, however I don't like that he is still undersized and portrayed as a teenager. This makes him feel weaker less competent than Batman. If it makes you feel any better Robin is merely an extra, who won't play a significant role in the main story.

As for Penguin, I don't think that's what they were aiming for at all. They just thought what can you do to make him every more of a slimy, dirty, slumlord type character? It's not meant to be "extreme" or anything like that, it's just a new spin on a classic face. If anything his changes match the reflection of Arkham City itself. The city is dank, dirty and corrupted... nothing about it is pristine whatsoever.

It's interesting to hear another Batfan's take though. I appreciate the discussion.

Vire said:
The cowl is more reminiscent of Dr. Doom's design than a "pixie boot and circus incarnation" as you would put it. I think the iteration you posted of Robin in the picture is perfectly fine, however I don't like that he is still undersized and portrayed as a teenager. This makes him feel weaker less competent than Batman. If it makes you feel any better Robin is merely an extra, who won't play a significant role in the main story.

As for Penguin, I don't think that's what they were aiming for at all. They just thought what can you do to make him every more of a slimy, dirty, slumlord type character? It's not meant to be "extreme" or anything like that, it's just a new spin on a classic face. If anything his changes match the reflection of Arkham City itself. The city is dank, dirty and corrupted... nothing about it is pristine whatsoever.

It's interesting to hear another Batfan's take though. I appreciate the discussion.
That is what Robin is though. He's supposed to be a teenager and less competent than Batman. He is a Batman in-training essentially. And yes I am aware that he's only there as an add on for the game but the design still irks me even then. I'm glad they are including the Red Robin design though.

Except Penguin has always been someone dank, dirty and corrupted hiding behind his high class upbringing and white collar crimes. Taking the classiness out of Penguin just does not work for me, it didn't work in Burton's freak version either. But we'll see in the game.

And yeah, this has been fun.

Top Bottom