• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
170 is not what they wanted.

This word of mouth is not what they wanted.

Sad Affleck being the unofficial mascot of this film is not what they wanted.

It's likely the coming second weekend is not what they're wanting, either.

Ehhh I'm not sure you can paint the whole picture negative. Was anything from money to reviews as high as they wanted? I'm sure not but there is some growing good will towards it and the younger demo loved it. They gave it an A-. Its actually the older audiences who were tougher on it

Lothars

I feel like some people just want this movie to fail. I just re-watched the movie last night, despite it's flaws I really enjoyed it. The cinematography was probably the best in a comic book movie adaptation. Battfleck killed it, I wish we had more of him in this movie. The knightmare scene was amazing although it could have been placed else where in the movie. Overall, I like the direction DC is taking their IPs. I don't want them to go the family friendly route Marvel has taken with the Avengers. If it causes bad reviews, so be it.
i think it's a terrible movie but I've also felt that dc has made three terrible movies in a row. I'm completely dissapointed by this movie even if I like Affleck batman and wonder woman.

OMG it's going to do 250m!

Take that critics. Take that Star Wars!

I hope you're joking because its nearly impossible for it to only do 250m. In fact it doing under 350 would be shocking with that opening. It would have to have worse legs than Spider-Man 3

ryan299

This. I think we'll be seeing some changes at WB

IconGrist

I'm conflicted. I don't think it deserves to hit a billion. On the other hand I don't think it deserves to fail.

What I really want is for Snyder to realize you don't need to cram so much in a movie and then end up with something you have to cut all to hell for the general audience. Then say "its fine, the Blu-ray will be awesome and fix all the things."

E the Shaggy

because the big bad movie critics were paid off for mahvel to make it tank

This idea that Batman V Superman's bad reviews is all a Marvel/Disney conspiracy is fucking insane.

And for everyone saying that BvS is getting bad reviews because it's "too dark", also horseshit because Jon Bernthal's Punisher is about 10 times darker than anything in the movie and its probably some of the best stuff the MCU has done.

E: Red Letter Media just put up their review. Yeeesss

Ehhh I'm not sure you can paint the whole picture negative.

I'm not saying it FAILED. I'm saying it's not what they wanted.

This is probably going to be a mild disappointment. Much like Man of Steel was. It's not what they're wanting. I tried to lay it out in one of these 30 threads earlier this week, but 800mil worldwide and 350 domestic isn't going to seem like forward movement. It's going to seem like running in place.

Running in place is making them money, sure.

But it's not what they want. Not with Batman and Superman.

(also, reminder that Cinemascore means pretty much nothing)

i think it's a terrible movie but I've also felt that dc has made three terrible movies in a row. I'm completely dissapointed by this movie even if I like Affleck batman and wonder woman.

Green Lantern, MoS & BvS?

I wasn't a huge fan of MoS, but it wasn't terrible for me. Green Lantern was okay, I think they had the best person to play as Sinestro, but Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordon was a bad call.

This is probably going to be a mild disappointment. Much like Man of Steel was. It's not what they're wanting. I tried to lay it out in one of these 30 threads earlier this week, but 800mil worldwide and 350 domestic isn't going to seem like forward movement. It's going to seem like running in place.

Ah, thats a totally fair assessment and I agree there. I'm just saying I wouldn't call this a failure by any means. The way you put it "running in place" is totally fair.

The best thing for them right now is Batman seems to be pretty loved in this. They need to double down on him going forward. Also Wonder Woman seems well received.

GhaleonEB

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice has surpassed expectations that it would earn $140 million at the domestic box office this weekend, taking home $170.1 million and becoming the biggest opening weekend in Warner Bros. studio history.
Important words bolded. That is the three-day weekend estimate. Technically four day as it includes Thursday.

You seem unfamiliar with how box office receipts are reported.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2015.htm

Timbuktu

I hope it continues to do well. We might get a movie more people like the next time.

I don't know about that. It's crazy that people follow movies the same way they support sports teams, but there are times when the team you support... Lets say Manchester United, when they are so fucking boring to watch, you kinda want them to lose a few games so the people in charge are forced to change, otherwise no one gives a crap and things carry on with the minimal effort. It's not really an attitude i adopt.

kswiston

(also, reminder that Cinemascore means pretty much nothing)

I think we need to put ourselves in WB's shoes. Would you be happy with the lynchpin of your next 5 years of summer tentpoles, a film starring not 1, but 3 of your most well known characters, making slightly more than Guardians of the Galaxy? Because GOTG was $333M Dom/$773M WW.

$350M/$800M would NOT be the start WB was banking on.

That said, I think the film will do better than $800M

inky

I hope you're joking because its nearly impossible for it to only do 250m. In fact it doing under 350 would be shocking with that opening. It would have to have worse legs than Spider-Man 3

I was talking about 250m OW, I mean, if it did 170 already and still a day to go...

Of course I'm joking did you read the post I quoted?

Cairnsay

Banned
Arguing about a films box office success/failure on an internet message board is pretty fucking dumb.

It's almost as dumb as commenting on people arguing about a films box office success/failure on an internet message board...

Boxofficemojo is saying 424m worldwide in its first weekend. I'm not sure how you can spin that as negative. I don't buy this theory that's it's suddenly going to tank financially either.

Me and my friends normally go see these big epic movies 2 or 3 times at the cinema if we really love them, either 3D or IMAX but because of all the bad reviews, we didn't want to risk spending too much cash on a shit movie, so went to see it on a regular 2D screen.

I'm pretty glad we did because it wasn't a fun movie (only a few cool moments) and we have no desire to go see it again, that really long run time doesn't help it either. So if other people come away from this feeling the same, I don't think it will have long legs at the box office and looking at Box Office Mojo's figures, the estimates already have it tracking under Age of Ultron and Iron-Man 3.

Still decent but I'm Sure WB would hope that it would do even better than some of the Marvel competition, when it cost them $250+ Million to make.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

Alienous

I'm OK with this doing well for them.

You've eaten well, WB. You've eaten the potential of these franchises, and their crossovers. But your feast is nearly over. From this moment on, none of your success is guaranteed.

jmood88

Arguing about a films box office success/failure on an internet message board is pretty fucking dumb.

It's almost as dumb as commenting on people arguing about a films box office success/failure on an internet message board...
How is it any more dumb than arguing about anything else on a message board?

Nipo

Boxofficemojo is saying 424m worldwide in its first weekend. I'm not sure how you can spin that as negative. I don't buy this theory that's it's suddenly going to tank financially either.

$400 million worldwide is a little lower than than needed to be. I'm guessing it will end between 800 and 900 million unless we see a drop off over 65% next week.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fucking crazy that this might not make it to 1 billion. I'm waiting for the Blu ray, but I have a feeling I will still enjoy it, especially if the extended edition is an improvement.

Is it me or is thread-whining getting worse on GAF lately? Is it actually against the rules or is it just frowned upon? It seems to me to be purposeful derail attempt.

jmood88

How do you figure? Unless I'm reading it wrong, it'll be the fourth highest worldwide opening of all time.
I don't know if it was said in this thread or another one but that number is skewed because of how it opened in all the markets at the same time. Most movies do a staggered worldwide release.

Nipo

How do you figure? Unless I'm reading it wrong, it'll be the fourth highest worldwide opening of all time.

Anything less than a $1 billion worldwide will be perceived as a failure (yes i realize with merchandising, home video, product placement it will turn a profit before hitting $1 billion). The $400 million opening means they have a chance to cross $1 billion but it isn't assured. They really needed a 200 million+ opening weekend domestic and $300 million internationally (considering how many markets it launched they don't have many places left to go) to be the hit they wanted.

Looking at the next couple of weeks, it doesn't look like BVS has much competition unless the Christian crowd comes out in droves. I don't think the drop is going to be as notable as it would have been in the summer. Then again, it's not like people are going to be forced to go to the theater.

I'm OK with this doing well for them.

You've eaten well, WB. You've eaten the potential of these franchises, and their crossovers. But your feast is nearly over. From this moment on, none of your success if guaranteed.

I see what you're doing there.

This sums up 99% of filmGAF perfectly.

If Suicide Squad and, more importantly, Fantastic Beasts don't work then yes, absolutely.

No one is getting fire for a film that, for better or worse, made $400m worldwide on its opening weekend.

Except that Fantastic Beasts is just a biennial trilogy, whereas this movie is supposed to launch a megafranchise from which WB can reliably milk at least two blockbusters a year for the indefinite future.

I can't predict exactly what will or won't happen behind the scenes, but I highly doubt they'd be sanguine about the film failing to break $1B worldwide, let alone $900M.

Yeah. Not from US. Don't know how it works.
So why are you laughing at critics if you don't even understand how things work?

I'm more curious at the second weekend, I don't think it's reasonable to think it bombs this weekend but due to word of mouth and critics, I can't imagine this having any legs and dropping off quickly.

Busty

Banned
Except that Fantastic Beasts is just a biennial trilogy, whereas this movie is supposed to launch a megafranchise from which WB can reliably milk at least two blockbusters a year for the indefinite future.

That's true but the entirety of the Harry Potter franchise is still massive for WB. Failing to launch the DCU is one thing but actively doing damage to the thriving Potter 'industry' with an inferior prequel would be even worse.

Fantastic Beasts is the continuation of the Harry Potter franchise which makes Time Warner (between all the merch and theme parks etc) well over $100m a year. If the Fantastic Beasts trilogy works then expect more Potter spin offs from there including the Wizarding World War and a Quidditch film, which I believe the studio trademarked at one point.

B33

Banned
Vilifying critics for taking Batman v Superman to task is dumb. The majority of critics love movies and get paid little to share their thoughts on them. The studio's PR team trying to save face by saying they made the movie for fans, not critics, is awful because it operates under the assumption that critics can't be fans of the source material.

labaronx

Looking at the next couple of weeks, it doesn't look like BVS has much competition unless the Christian crowd comes out in droves. I don't think the drop is going to be as notable as it would have been in the summer. Then again, it's not like people are going to be forced to go to the theater.

It doesnt have any competition next weekend but the following weekend see the release of the "jungle book" which could be huge too

inky

Wait, so there's a Disney Jungle Book this year, and a WB Jungle Book next year?

Is this going to be family friendly, lite-musical Jungle Book, vs dark and brooding Jungle Book that takes place in a concrete jungle instead? ;P

KillGore

I remember reading on GAF that the film needed to make $400 million to break even? Is this domestic or Worldwide? Did they break even in 4 days? Would that secure the DC Universe's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom