• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Cool numbers! I don't like the movie but I don't want it to financially fail. Here's for better DC movies in the next years.

I'll want it to financially fail for you.

I want good movies to succeed, not all movies. That way we get better movies.

kswiston

$200M is not at all in reach.

Friday was a holiday. Many people had the day off work. No kids were in school. Saturday is going to be down, even without the previews gross.

$82m Friday is a great #...but now wom, Easter weekend and legs kick in (a little). Next weekend we'll def see wom and legs become a big factor.

It's possible WOM (the film is viral for all the wrong reasons the last two days) might have already damaged the Friday take. And I'm not sure Easter Sunday is going to be much of a boost, considering the content.

We could see with today's take whether the negative reception has made any sort of dent in the desire to see the film ASAP.

Mario007

$200M is not at all in reach.

Friday was a holiday. Many people had the day off work. No kids were in school. Saturday is going to be down, even without the previews gross.
Im not sure how it translates historically but I wouldn't expect Good Friday to be "lets go see a movie" holiday.

FTF

Even that is going to require better holds than Furious 7.

BvS does have a slight advantage over F7 in that it plays a little more like a family movie since it's superheroes. It's dark though and Easter is tomorrow so who knows. I'm guessing the estimate tomorrow is $170m.

inky

Seems on track to do a decent OW.

I just think a movie with the 2 most iconic superheros together for the first time should be the event of the (half?) decade, in line with a new Star Wars movie.

No it doesn't. Reports put it at $800 million if they had to rely on box office alone. There is merchandising, home video, and TV rights to be sold.

1 billion worldwide doesn't just represent profitability, it represents acceptance on the part of the public they're selling to. They have two more of these movies following, using this one and Man of Steel as a direct foundation. Man of Steel ended at 650mil worldwide. If this stops at 800mil, they didn't build their foundation very well, even if technically it's break-even. They don't wanna just break-even. They want to profit, and to build audience moving forward.

800mil says they're basically running in place.

Caode

Im not sure how it translates historically but I wouldn't expect Good Friday to be "lets go see a movie" holiday.

It is here considering it's illegal to serve alcohol and no pubs are open (outdated and absurd Irish law), nearly every single showing of every single film was sold out at the cinema I go to last night.

kswiston

Cutting out Thursday previews, Furious 7 made a bit over $131M on its Easter Weekend from Fri-Sun.

Furious 7's no-previews Friday was $51.6M. BvS' no-previews Friday as $54.3M.

Same legs gives BvS $138.3M for the Fri-Sun weekend. Add in Thursday previews and you get a $166M first weekend.

Mario007

It is here considering it's illegal to serve alcohol and no pubs are open (outdated and absurd Irish law), nearly every single showing of every single film was sold out at the cinema I go to last night.
Im in Ireland too. I was talking about America. It certainly doesnt like the type of day when you bring your kids to the church because Christ has died in the afternoon and then bring them see a movie in the evening. Then again many may just not care for Easter too.

Ridley327

So now that we have an idea of what the most realistic optimistic outcome should be, what's a realistic pessimistic outcome? $140? $150?

Nipo

No it doesn't. Reports put it at $800 million if they had to rely on box office alone. There is merchandising, home video, and TV rights to be sold.

Assuming 400 million production and P&A.

$800 million makes sense if you mean $800 million domestic.

If we assume a 60-40 international-domestic split at $1 billion that would put $600 million international and $400 million domestic for the box office.

For domestic the studio takes around 50% of sales so they'd make $200 million. For international it is a bit more complicated since China pays a lower rate than other countries but 30% is a fair estimate. That would give the studio about $180 million on international sales and just about break even.

The movie will make money have home video, streaming, merchandising etc but anything under $1 worldwide will be seen as a under performing.

gamz

1 billion worldwide doesn't just represent profitability, it represents acceptance on the part of the public they're selling to. They have two more of these movies following, using this one and Man of Steel as a direct foundation. Man of Steel ended at 650mil worldwide. If this stops at 800mil, they didn't build their foundation very well, even if technically it's break-even. They don't wanna just break-even. They want to profit, and to build audience moving forward.

800mil says they're basically running in place.

Nailed it. I mean it's freaking Batman and Supes! If it doesn't do a billion that's embarrassing on all levels. I mean Deadpool has a good shot at 800M.. DEADPOOL!!!!

Caode

Im in Ireland too. I was talking about America. It certainly doesnt like the type of day when you bring your kids to the church because Christ has died in the afternoon and then bring them see a movie in the evening. Then again many may just not care for Easter too.

I know you were on about America, I just needed to vent... I'll be back to normal when I get out for a pint in an hour or so. Well it's a fitting film for the day with Snyder hammering the Christian imagery over your head.

kswiston

BvS does have a slight advantage over F7 in that it plays a little more like a family movie since it's superheroes. It's dark though and Easter is tomorrow so who knows. I'm guessing the estimate tomorrow is $170m.

Last year, every family/teen leaning film in the top 10 made more on Good Friday than Saturday. Family films had the biggest Sat drops.

If we assume a 60-40 international-domestic split at $1 billion that would put $600 million international and $400 million domestic for the box office.

For domestic the studio takes around 50% of sales so they'd make $200 million. For international it is a bit more complicated since China pays a lower rate than other countries but 30% is a fair estimate. That would give the studio about $180 million on international sales and just about break even.

The movie will make money have home video, streaming, merchandising etc but anything under $1 worldwide will be seen as a under performing.
I know how the box office works. The psychological barrier is $1 billion. But if we're simply talking about covering the budget, it doesn't have to hit it if you include everything else, especially the merchandising.

gamz

It's more then 50% dom isn't it? I know a typical movie like this takes 90% of all grosses in the first week and goes down from there. It's why theater owners love movies with very long legs like Avatar.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Do people here think it will hit the 1 billion mark? I am curious what word of mouth will do for this film outside reviews.

kswiston

You can't count marketing in a film like this. Olay bodywash and Microsoft paid for some of that. A ton of the ad spots were marketing tie-ins that other companies footed the bill for. A lot of the marketing was subsidized or offset by product placement. $800M breakeven sounds totally reasonable given the $250M+ production cost.

gamz

want to see worldwide.

premier was full theater with lots of superman and batman shirts goin on. Hype was real and bigger than star wars.

Dude, you're insane. The hype for Star Wars was the biggest I've seen in a very long time.

They hardly spent anything on marketing because the media did the heavy lifting.

FTF

Do people here think it will hit the 1 billion mark? I am curious what word of mouth will do for this film outside reviews.

Yes...but I've gone from it will easily hit $1b ww, to now saying WB will drag it across the $1b finish line.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
That's my assumption from this but I do hope that Warner Bros will take the input out of this film and make sure Justice League doesn't become a mess with its characters being Zacked!

165mil will be a bit of a disappointment for them.

I think it's likely they wanted 180-190, and would have been happy with 170-175.

150 was the floor.

As K-Swiss pointed out, that's using Furious 7's legs. Furious 7 appears to have had a lot more going for it over the course of this weekend than BvS does currently. So Furious 7 legs might actually be optimistic.

gamz

That is how it used to be done it changed about 15 years ago when a bunch of theaters declared bankruptcy and now it is a set split. . Here is a decent article explaining it.

Cool! I didn't know this.

But after a bunch of theater chains declared bankruptcy in the early 2000s, these frontloaded deals started to fall out of fashion, says Doug Stone with BoxOfficeAnalyst.com.

Nowadays, with many of the bigger Hollywood blockbusters, the theater chains just get a standard cut of the whole revenue, regardless of which weekend it comes in
I remember when Lucas released Star Wars 1-3 he demanded 100% of the gross the first weekend! Or something absurd like that.

FTF

I think it's likely they wanted 180-190, and would have been happy with 170-175.

150 was the floor.

Yeah I remember thinking awhile back that $150m ow was the floor, even if it's the biggest piece of shit ever...which it kind of is, so a $165-170m ow is like a win for them now lol

Ridley327

150 was the floor.

As K-Swiss pointed out, that's using Furious 7's legs. Furious 7 appears to have had a lot more going for it over the course of this weekend than BvS does currently. So Furious 7 legs might actually be optimistic.

It seems like anything lower than $150 would be cause for public executions of executive staff and Snyder getting sent into a director jail that they wouldn't put even Wally Pfister in. Like, what comes after triple max in Butcher Bay.

No idea if its a true correlation with the mainstream but my Facebook absolutely hates this movie. More negative than just about anything I can recall. If thats accurate for general social media it may very well damage the opening

If this thing ends the weekend a couple mil south of 160?

It won't be panic mode, but people at the studio are going to be pretty fuckin upset, I think. Luckily, it appears overseas is treating it better than we are.

kswiston

Can we get one of our box office friendly mods to update the title of this thread with first day numbers?

$82.01M is the official estimate.

I am sure others not follwoing this thread are interested in that, and I don't think we need a new thread for what is essentially a continuation of our discussion of first day numbers before tomorrow's weekend box office thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom