• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn hits open beta April 8 on PS4, 13 on XB1/PC. Story Mode details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-introducing-battleborns-tv-style-story

BATTLEBORN’S SERIES PREMIERE

We think of May 3 as Battleborn’s series premiere, because the game’s Story Mode is structured just like some of our favorite episodic television shows; from Star Trek and X-Files, to cartoon throwbacks like X-Men and Transformers. Collectively, the “season” included with the game has one large over-arching story spanning eight episodes (plus a prologue), and each episode tells a self-contained story about the Battleborn’s fight to save the last star, Solus.

You can grab a seat in your favorite battle furniture of choice and play an episode solo. Or, grab a buddy and a second controller and play 2-player couch co-op on your console just like the good ol’ days! Or, get online on your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or PC and team-up with up to four other friends for some 5-player co-op fun. These episodes are highly replayable, and we’ve found that each episode takes about an hour or so for the average to player to beat. Think of all the different ways you’ll tackle each challenge, playing with 25 unique Battleborn heroes. As you run through each episode with a different hero, the dialogue changes. They reveal bits about themselves and provide more backstory to the world as you play. You also earn more loot, gear, XP, and credits every time you play an episode – not to mention that sometimes you’ll even unlock new characters! We’ll get to that in a second.

THE EPISODES

We’ve previously introduced two episodes: “The Algorithm” and “Void’s Edge.” Today we’re revealing a new episode, “The Renegade.” During The Renegade, you’re dispatched on a rescue mission to save Caldarius and by doing so, recruit him to your cause and make him a playable hero. The same goes for ISIC in “The Algorithm” – you debug the rogue Magnus AI and make him friendly – well… tolerable – and he joins your team. As the story advances, you’re not only unlocking new Battleborn to command, you’re also gaining experience towards the hero’s Character Rank and your personal Command Rank. Playing through the episodes also scores you new lore challenges, titles, and gear that you’ll be able to use in the competitive multiplayer modes.

Now that the game is done, the dev team can start looking to the future. Even after the first “season” of Battleborn episodes, we’re not done! We plan to make more heroes and tell more stories about our heroes. As we mentioned the other day, 2K’s vision for Battleborn post-launch content includes five add-on packs – each pack including a new side story in the form of a Story Operation, as well as exclusive hero skins and taunts. And each add-on pack will cost you five bucks. You can get full details on post-launch content HERE.

OPEN BETA

The best part is: you won’t have to wait to try out Battleborn’s episodic-style story! The Battleborn Open Beta begins on April 8th on PS4 and April 13th on PC and Xbox One. Jump in solo or grab some buddies for up to 5-player co-op and 2-player split-screen couch co-op while you play through two Story Mode episodes: The Algorithm and Void’s Edge. Experience the natural progression of the game as you rank up and unlock new heroes, skins, taunts, Helix mutations, and more during the Battleborn Open Beta. Click here for more information.

https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-battleborn-open-beta-everything-you-need-to-know/

The Basics:

WHEN IS IT? April 8 to April 18!

April 8th at 10am PST (5pm UTC) – PS4
April 13th at 10am PST (5pm UTC) – PS4, PC, and Xbox One
Open Beta ends April 18th at 7am PST (2pm UTC)

The Content:

During the Open Beta, you’ll be able to experience the natural progression of Battleborn; including two Story Mode episodes, two Competitive Multiplayer Modes, 25 heroes (some instantly available, some will unlock as you progress), and as you play, you’ll rank up on three different progression systems.

STORY MODE: Go in solo or co-op with up to 5 players in two full Story Mode episodes: The Algorithm and Void’s Edge.

The Algorithm: Take on The Algorithm mission to debug and unlock the rogue Magnus AI, ISIC. If you played in the Closed Technical Test last year, you’ll notice Geoff, the Spider King, has made a few changes to his lair.
Void’s Edge: Bring a jacket, ‘cause the ice-planet, Bliss, is mighty cold. A Varelsi portal has opened and it’s up to you to fight your way through the invasion and deliver the payload.

COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER MODES: Challenge other players to duke it out in two Competitive Multiplayer modes: Incursion and Meltdown.

Incursion: (Overgrowth map) Destroy the enemy’s two Spider Sentry Drones before they get to yours.
Meltdown: (Paradise map) Send waves of minions to their death and score points for every minion who throws themselves into the incinerator. The team with the most scrap metal wins!

PARTY UP WITH FELLOW BADASSES: Conscript your friends for a truly badass Open Beta experience!

Party up with friends or search for random players to join them in Co-Op Story Mode episodes.
Play Split-Screen on PS4 and Xbox One in either Story Mode or Competitive Multiplayer Modes.
Communicate with your teammates through in-game Voice Chat.
Practice makes badass – create private custom matches with friends to get a handle on controls and practice with new characters as you unlock them.

BATTLEBORN HEROES: Battleborn has a large starting roster of 25 playable heroes, which will continue growing with five additional, free heroes after launch. In the Open Beta, you’ll start with 7 unlocked heroes and the rest will be unlocked as you rank up and complete objectives. In the meantime, here’s a quick rundown of the main character types: Attackers, Defenders, and Support.

Attackers: Charge into the fight with a variety of offensive Battleborn heroes. Throw punches, slice ‘em up, blast ‘em down, or break out the big guns with Rath, Deande, Phoebe, Whiskey Foxtrot, Mellka, Thorn, Marquis, Oscar Mike, Benedict, Caldarius, El Dragón, Orendi, Shayne & Aurox, and Ghalt.
Defenders: Take a hit for the team (or two, or three) with the likes of Attikus, Galilea, Kelvin, Boldur, ISIC, Toby, and Montana.
Support: Shields, heals, and still more firepower – Miko, Reyna, Kleese, and Ambra can help the team in the fight.

PS4 players, remember: you’ll have Open Beta access to the adorable penguin in a mechsuit, Toby! Toby will not be unlockable on PC or Xbox One during the Open Beta but he will be unlockable on all platforms in the retail version.

PROGRESSION SYSTEMS: Experience Battleborn’s multiple progression systems during the Open Beta. Playing either Story Mode or Competitive Multiplayer Modes will earn you XP towards temporary Helix augmentations as well as persistent Command Rank and Character Rank levels.

Helix: During a single Competitive match or Story episode, each level you gain activates a new Helix augmentation opportunity - all the way to level 10. Each level has two augmentation choices and a character’s Helix resets at the beginning of a new match or episode, meaning you can tailor your character’s abilities to the situation at hand.
Character Rank: Each character ranks up the more you play them, up to rank 15. The Character Rank levels persist across all Modes, and unlike Helix augmentations, this experience does not reset at the end of a match or mission. Increasing Character Rank unlocks Mutations, which are extra Augments that become available on the Helix Menu. The higher the Character’s Rank, the more Helix augmentations, taunts, titles, and skins you can unlock for that character.
Command Rank: Command Rank persists across all Modes and all characters played. Every Competitive match (excluding bots) and Story episode grants XP towards your player Command Rank. Rising through the ranks in Open Beta will unlock characters, new Gear options, titles, and more up to Command Rank 100.

kulapik

Ps4 gets double the beta days the others get? Damn

However, I played this game on the closed beta and my reaction was a mere meh.

GRIMREEFZ

I checked out the alpha. It felt like plastic. The guns had no weight to their feel. It was fun and all but it just felt light.

Overwatch, Battleborn and LawBreakers look so similar to me. I have t been following any of the three so I'm not informed on the games. That's just what I see at first glance.

Overwatch, Battleborn and LawBreakers look so similar to me. I have t been following any of the three so I'm not informed on the games. That's just what I see at first glance.

LawBreakers just changed their look to be less colorful and more "mature" to try and stand out from these lol

IvanJ

Banned
Well, I gues that is when my NDA for the closed technical test ends lol

If someone could please explain (honest question):
- What is the deal with these NDAs I see in many threads?
I mean, I know what they are, but is it a GAF-bannable offense? Or just a morality issue?

Because I see many people saying that they are under NDA (like for this game) for things that are long finished.

Just curious so not to get into trouble if I ever get a chance.

It's not a GAF-bannable offense. The mod team here isn't responsible for people keeping it up or not. It's just that gaming companies do read these sites and some people just don't want to get caught and banned from ongoing or future tests and such. That said with Battleborn there were a lot of people last year who didn't care about breaking the NDA for the Closed Technical Test, because they didn't care if the were banned from it as they didn't like it. That's why when that test was going on there was a lot of negative impressions floating around, because the people who liked it (there had to be some) didn't say anything so they wouldn't get banned.

Menome

If someone could please explain (honest question):
- What is the deal with these NDAs I see in many threads?
I mean, I know what they are, but is it a GAF-bannable offense? Or just a morality issue?

Because I see many people saying that they are under NDA (like for this game) for things that are long finished.

Just curious so not to get into trouble if I ever get a chance.

Theoretically, they might be able to narrow down your login account and ban it from playing the full game or start legal proceedings if you reveal something they deem as super-sensitive.

As I said: theoretically. It would likely never happen, but most people will avoid the risk.

IvanJ

Banned
It's not a GAF-bannable offense. The mod team here isn't responsible for people keeping it up or not. It's just that gaming companies do read these sites and some people just don't want to get caught and banned from ongoing or future tests and such. That said with Battleborn there were a lot of people last year who didn't care about breaking the NDA for the Closed Technical Test, because they didn't care if the were banned from it as they didn't like it. That's why when that test was going on there was a lot of negative impressions floating around, because the people who liked didn't say anything so they wouldn't get banned.

Theoretically, they might be able to narrow down your login account and ban it from playing the full game or start legal proceedings if you reveal something they deem as super-sensitive.

As I said: theoretically. It would likely never happen, but most people will avoid the risk.

Thank you both.
It's been a thing that kept me wondering, because it seemed so many people were adhering to it.
I mean, I was in that BB tech test, I really don't care for writing about it, but the way I saw it:
- My PSN user name is completely different than here
- Even the email is different
- The beta is over, they have no more power over me
- I don't live in the US, it's not like I'll get extradited if they sue
- Even if they manage to ban my PSN account, I can always make another one

So, I had to assume I could get banned here.

Therefore, my props to the morality of GAFfers here upholding that NDA.

Game sucked during beta

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Shhhitt story mode stuff looks like garden warfare with planting turrets and all. Just got 500% more interested in this. No intrest in the vs stuff like most games but co op might get me to buy.

tilomite!

I'm liking that betas are becoming more common. This game needs a good beta, cause the word of mouth is awful right now.

Looks fun! I'm not putting all my chips on Overwatch till I get a chance to play both of these, glad they are having demos *cough* I mean betas on each!

Zukkoyaki

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the game comes out and is awesome after all of the hate? It would be like Wolfenstein knocking everyone's socks off after a terrible preview cycle.

Interested to try the beta. I've never been a fan of Borderlands shooting so my hopes aren't very high but the game is doing stuff that gets my attention.

farisr

For a second there I thought the story was going episodic format and it was launching with 2, but 8 are included with the game's purchase and will release eventually. But looks like all of them will be available at launch, it's just the beta that has the 2 episodes.

I'm mostly interested in this game because of splitscreen, Overwatch is not even on my radar due to lack of splitscreen.

I guess I'll find out if this game's worth my time when the beta comes around as it largely depends on how good the story mode episodes are, but even if they're bad the game still has a chance as multiplayer also has splitscreen online.

BigDug13

I'll definitely check this out. I didn't realize this had split screen and that's kind of a big deal to me.

Gearbox has been really good on splitscreen lately. Borderlands all had it and their current gen remaster of BL2/Presequel has 4 player splitscreen.

In fact, they also supported offline LAN mode as well in the BL series. Felt like Halo 2 in terms of number of ways you can enjoy multiplayer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Battleborn and Overwatch are coming out within a few weeks of each other. I'll definitely check out the BB open beta, but it's unlikely I'll be picking it up considering how much time I've put (and continue to put) into OW.

J-Tier

In a game where the gameplay formula isn't anything particularly new, the game really has to capture me with setting, character design and art direction.

Setting and premise are neat, the concept of fighting over the last star, very cool and inspired.

Character design - there are a few neat looking characters, but for the concept of beings from across the universe, you'd think there'd be more variety, and less anthropomorphic and bipedal characters. Plus, there are quite a few tropey-archetypes that are pretty uninspired.

Art direction - I like the color. Character design proportions though...you know what I mean by this. It's very ugly imo, and that's the tallest wall for me to overcome visually.

article said:
We think of May 3 as Battleborn’s series premiere, because the game’s Story Mode is structured just like some of our favorite episodic television shows; from Star Trek and X-Files, to cartoon throwbacks like X-Men and Transformers.

It seems like a better comparison would be The Osbournes Reloaded, a TV show about the Osbourne family that aired only episode and immediately got cancelled because the ratings were so bad and critics savaged the show.

but hey most of us got the bad impression from the earlier beta, I'll try it again on PS4 and hopefully its a bit more coherent and fun. Still can't see myself buying this game though, I really wanna play Overwatch and between that and Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 there isn't any real room for another game in May/June.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was hoping the story mode would offer something more of a traditional SP experience. Instead it seems to be about as solo-orientated as Quake 3's "campaign".

Hoping this is good because I loved Super Monday Night Combat and this is the closest thing to a new one of those. Have my doubts though.

Edit: Also there's that slight issue of Blizzard dropping the Overwatch beta on this game's launch day...

Karak

Man. I never thought much of this and have been pretty meh or negative about it but my time with it has completely reversed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom