• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've slept on it and I still cant understand the rational on experimenting with automatic grenade resupply. My brain cannot wrap itself around any scenario or reasoning for why this should be implemented in traditional Battlefield, let alone be discussed in the same breath as reducing explosives spam.

DICE really is just totally fucking erratic and unpredictable when it comes to how they "balance" things. I really hope Battlefield 1 doesn't become a Battlefront situation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I've slept on it and I still cant understand the rational on experimenting with automatic grenade resupply. My brain cannot wrap itself around any scenario or reasoning for why this should be implemented in traditional Battlefield, let alone be discussed in the same breath as reducing explosives spam.

DICE really is just totally fucking erratic and unpredictable when it comes to how they "balance" things. I really hope Battlefield 1 doesn't become a Battlefront situation.

it will turn into Destiny PvP. thats a shooter where one hit supers, one hit melee, one hit attachable grenades and one hit shotguns have completely ruined the balance. because of the grenades recharging, everyone uses grenades liberally. why keep a grenade as a backup when its going to recharge in 20 seconds anyway?

Alpende

A DICE Community guy on reddit was saying that they can now control the amount of grenades during a game better so there would be less grenade spam. I don't know how it works because in my mind resupplying grenades don't make any difference in regard to the amount of grenades in the field. I figure it's more grenades in the field than without resupplying grenades. The DICE guy was fully confident that it works though so who knows... I just don't like it.

Wait, grenades get resupplied without an ammo crate? WTF man, they're turning this into battlefront. Thats a terrible idea.

Get rid of the ammo crate while youre at it.

Keep your stupid ass features for Battlefront Dice

Its funny, because regenerating grenades was what I came up with to solve grenade spam in BF4. This hybrid implementation strikes me as a mistake.

In BF4, after they upped the time on ammo crate grenade resupplies, he outcome was more people just sitting on the damn things. That’s a bad fix. With regenerating grenades, you chuck your grenade and you accept the inevitable – you won’t have one for x amount of seconds (let’s say 30).

That does two things: A. It removes the ammo crate as an anchor – there’s no reason to stick on a spot unless you’re doing it for other, strategic reasons. B. As of now, my grenade resupplies almost immediately, then appears in my inventory a few seconds later. This is, at best, 25s faster than regenerating grenades. Therefore regenerating grenades will be less frequent.

The downside: The hybrid system promotes the worst tendency – ammo camping. By inducing a grenade regeneration bonus for sitting on a crate, they’re promoting the old BF4 problem.

Honestly aside from it killing the ‘realism’ this seems like the right way to go. This makes grenades more precious (for the strategic few), meaning you can’t chuck them without screwing yourself later. As for the argument that it will increase spam because they auto-replenish, even if this were true, this only applies if the players live that long. Think about the average player in the average engagement. They ain’t living that long.

Its funny, because regenerating grenades was what I came up with to solve grenade spam in BF4. This hybrid implementation strikes me as a mistake.

In BF4, after they upped the time on ammo crate grenade resupplies, he outcome was more people just sitting on the damn things. That's a bad fix. With regenerating grenades, you chuck your grenade and you accept the inevitable – you won't have one for x amount of seconds (let's say 30).

That does two things: A. It removes the ammo crate as an anchor – there's no reason to stick on a spot unless you're doing it for other, strategic reasons. B. As of now, my grenade resupplies almost immediately, then appears in my inventory a few seconds later. This is, at best, 25s faster than regenerating grenades. Therefore regenerating grenades will be less frequent.

The downside: The hybrid system promotes the worst tendency – ammo camping. By inducing a grenade regeneration bonus for sitting on a crate, they're promoting the old BF4 problem.

Honestly aside from it killing the ‘realism' this seems like the right way to go. This makes grenades more precious (for the strategic few), meaning you can't chuck them without screwing yourself later. As for the argument that it will increase spam because they auto-replenish, even if this were true, this only applies if the players live that long. Think about the average player in the average engagement. They ain't living that long.

This isnt a proper fix at all. Your theories assume that you always have a good ammo guy actually doing his job and actually dropping ammo. All ammo should come out of the ammo crates. Thats the whole point of having the ammo crates.

If they create maps with choke points that allow for people to grenade spam the whole game then maybe they should make better maps. Grenades are rarely a problem when the maps are properly designed. Only times grenades are an issue if when the map is a choke point fest.

terrible

Banned
Sitting on ammo to get a grenade wasn't a bad thing. It meant grenade spam only happened at choke points. BF4's grenade system as it is now is infinitely better than what it's like in BF1. Grenades are only a problem on Locker and Metro really.

This isnt a proper fix at all. Your theories assume that you always have a good ammo guy actually doing his job and actually dropping ammo. All ammo should come out of the ammo crates. Thats the whole point of having the ammo crates.

If they create maps with choke points that allow for people to grenade spam the whole game then maybe they should make better maps. Grenades are rarely a problem when the maps are properly designed. Only times grenades are an issue if when the map is a choke point fest.

I’m sympathetic to the wanting to be consistent, but DICE isn’t the first dev to prioritize gameplay over realism. After all, we have spare magazines and grenades lying all over the battlefield but somehow we can’t use any of them.

I think a good way to continue this conversation is to determine what maps you think are poorly made.

Sitting on ammo to get a grenade wasn't a bad thing. It meant grenade spam only happened at choke points. BF4's grenade system as it is now is infinitely better than what it's like in BF1. Grenades are only a problem on Locker and Metro really.
I feel like that was always the case. They were addressing explosive spam because on two particular maps it was a huge problem.

I don't think there's a one size fits all solution for this, anymore than it would have made sense to have the same amount of tanks or choppers on each map.

I’m sympathetic to the wanting to be consistent, but DICE isn’t the first dev to prioritize gameplay over realism. After all, we have spare magazines and grenades lying all over the battlefield but somehow we can’t use any of them.

I think a good way to continue this conversation is to determine what maps you think are poorly made.

I think its more a gamemode problem in BF1. Operations. Thats why theyre doing this, because of operations.

Grenades havent been a problem in Conquest cause none of the maps are designed like locker.

I think its more a gamemode problem in BF1. Operations. Thats why theyre doing this, because of operations.

Grenades havent been a problem in Conquest cause none of the maps are designed like locker.
Well Argonne bunker fights can get pretty obnoxious, but yeah if they could change grenade respawn by game mode that'd be nice.

Maybe someone here can help me. Ever since the Winter Update I get constant disconnects on PC. And most of the time, right before a round is over. Sometimes I manage to finish a game, but most of the time it just starts freezing everyone around me and bam... lost connection. I already tried the suggestions on their site and disabled IPv6 (as if that ever impacted anything else on my machine)

I play on european servers, and it doesn't matter what time of day it is.

SlimySnake

Just got 214k xp in one operations round. I should defend more often. You can just camp one place and take out enemies coming in one after another. Had 51 flag defense kills. Whenever i am playing offense i feel like I have to go and get the other flag or no one will.

oFBYCcRh.jpg

Final score was 37k which turned into 92k after the 2.5 Win Bonus. Lots and lots of ribbons, and then everything got multiplied because someone in my squad had Squad XP boost active. I have gotten 150k points before but this is just nuts.

Wait ribbons are already in?

Yep, Winter Patch a week ago added 20 to the game. You can earn multiple copies of each per round (so get the 7 kills as a Medic ribbon three times if you got 21-27 kills in a round), and each one grants 300XP.

Vehicles:

• Ribbon of the Bull: Get 3 Behemoths kills in a round
  • Ribbon of Augustus: Using any Tank, get 7 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of Icarus: Using any Airplane, get 5 kills in a round
Class:

• Ribbon of the Khan: From horseback, get 3 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of the Iron Star: As Assault, get 7 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of the Falcon: As Scout, get 7 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of Hippocrates: As Medic, get 7 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of St. Christopher: As Support, get 7 kills in a round
Weapon:

• Scout Ribbon of Valor: Get 5 kills with Single-Action Rifles in a round
  • Medic Ribbon of Valor: Get 5 kills with Self-Loading Rifles in a round
  • Support Ribbon of Valor: Get 5 kills with LMGs in a round
  • Assault Ribbon of LeFever: Get 5 kills with Shotguns in a round
  • Assault Ribbon of Valor: Get 5 kills with SMGs in a round
Combat:

• Ribbon of the Sniper Guard: Get 5 Headshots in a round
  • Crimson Heart Ribbon: Do 5 Team assists in a round
  • Royal Ribbon of the Stag: Get 10 kills in a round
  • Ribbon of the Golden Heart: Get 3 kills with Melee Weapons in a round
Squad:

• Ribbon of Sacred Unity: Do 2 Squad Suppression Assists in a round
  • Ribbon of Blood: Do 2 Squad Savior kills in a round
  • Ribbon of the Wolf: Do 3 Squad Spots in a round

Just got 214k xp in one operations round. I should defend more often. You can just camp one place and take out enemies coming in one after another. Had 51 flag defense kills. Whenever i am playing offense i feel like I have to go and get the other flag or no one will.

oFBYCcRh.jpg

Final score was 37k which turned into 92k after the 2.5 Win Bonus. Lots and lots of ribbons, and then everything got multiplied because someone in my squad had Squad XP boost active. I have gotten 150k points before but this is just nuts.

lol 1101 mins to rank up. Fuck that. I'm still in the 80s, fuck the 90s.

I hate it when I get out of my tank to repair it in a pinch (where internal repairs are too slow and risk the tank being destroyed), only for some idiot teammate to steal the tank and drive to a hill to camp and fire off potshots. Sure, go ahead and selfishly use one of the three tanks we get to do jack squat.

It stings even more since I was using it with my squad to push and transport the team to objectives. Without it, we'd have been snowballed far sooner. It was pretty much a deadlock with it. Good tankers win games. Selfish tankers get two or three kills and cost the team major battles.

Bonus points for him abandoning a tank earlier that was about to be destroyed and letting the enemy take it.

lol 1101 mins to rank up. Fuck that. I'm still in the 80s, fuck the 90s.

Only reason I broke past rank 100 in BF4 was because the Double XP weekends combined with the 200% XP boosts meant hextuple XP. With the rarity of XP boosts in BF1, even quad XP is pretty fleeting.

Oh well, at least it's not Hardline and its "Legendary" grind. That was horrendous.

SlimySnake

I hate it when I get out of my tank to repair it in a pinch (where internal repairs are too slow and risk the tank being destroyed), only for some idiot teammate to steal the tank and drive to a hill to camp and fire off potshots. Sure, go ahead and selfishly use one of the three tanks we get to do jack squat.

It stings even more since I was using it with my squad to push and transport the team to objectives. Without it, we'd have been snowballed far sooner. It was pretty much a deadlock with it. Good tankers win games. Selfish tankers get two or three kills and cost the team major battles.

Bonus points for him abandoning a tank earlier that was about to be destroyed and letting the enemy take it.
Yep. Tanks are pretty much required to take some objectives in Operations. Like the last sector in Sinai Desert and Seuz. For some reason, people love the solo tanks and either camp with the Artillery truck or waste the Light Tank for the entire fucking around because no one can spawn on it leaving them behind enemy lines with no friendly cover.

I spent three battalions in Sinai's last sector last night after easily taking over Fao, Seuz and the first five sectors in Sinai. Why? Because some idiot kept sitting in the lobby waiting for the only tank to spawn and then camped all three battalions.

Last night, i started Empire's Edge going 1-10 on the first sector with our team getting spawn raped wasting 120 tickets on the first sector alone. Then got into a tank and we won the operations with nearly 150 tickets left on our second battalion. Went 65-15 attacking the objectives despite some fierce resistance from their Assault players. Lost two tanks but because i kept them all busy, we kept taking sectors and tanks kept respawning.

Only reason I broke past rank 100 in BF4 was because the Double XP weekends combined with the 200% XP boosts meant hextuple XP. With the rarity of XP boosts in BF1, even quad XP is pretty fleeting.

Oh well, at least it's not Hardline and its "Legendary" grind. That was horrendous.
I have no idea why they didnt run double xp weekends at least on holiday weekends. They have proven to bring back the players in pretty much every online shooter ive played this gen. That said, i am fine with leveling up slowly. I have spent months being Level 29 and then level 334 in destiny, and while it's taken my over a month to go from 91-99, i still prefer this slow grind over the RNG system in Destiny or the prestige system in CoD. I never knew which Prestige enemy players were at but when I see a guy in the 90s in BF1 I know i'm in for a tough fight. They have definitely reduced the number of Squad XP bonus you can get since the December update. i get like five a month now.

I am still waiting to get my 25k XP bonus for getting 500 kills with a weapon. Is this still in or was it scrapped after the CTE?
Is it me or did the new patch mess up PS4 pro performance?
i dont know if i have noticed performance issues, but there has definitely been something off the last few nights. My hellriegel and MG15 are having hit detection issues where bullets just dont register. My aim is all over the place. It's almost like aim assist has been turned off or sensitivity has been tweeked. People come around corners and kill me before i can even go ADS, let alone get some shots in.

Maybe it's the shrinking population. i am scared to play the DLC maps. Especially the first few weeks when only the premium members would be playing it.

Man, I was really enjoying that big easter egg hunt until I got to the point where I have to translate morse code. I should have paid more attention in boy scouts.

Anybody here know Morse Code?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I doubt it's fully 100% on DICE. The CTE community has been (IMO) completely fucking awful because DICE-LA will listen to Youtubers that complain more than actual people that have some semblance of a clue in regards to balancing for modes/gameplay (IE: Me and quite a few other folks)

Fuck me, the Martini Henry is God-tier. I never knew hip-firing it was so accurate and I've been using it for a while now, just never thought to do it. Just pulled off 3 hip-fire kills in one game, one of which was at least 25ft away. Thing is an absolute blast to use.

The next montage is gon' be gud.

TheSeks

Not getting the feeling that Rupture is suited for Conquest. Probably will play better in Operations or Rush.

There's trenches at A/C and A/D that's about it. B and E(?) aren't covered with trenches and even then hardly anyone uses them. It's a weird set-up.

Also spotting flares not being able to be resupplied while grenades are. SMH, DICE.

TheSeks

Who is this guy and why should I care that he doesn't enjoy Battlefield 1?

Someone that helped DICE fix the netcode in BF4. He's one that generally posts long-form detailed background information on engine stuff for various games (since branching out from BF4). So he's a pretty serious fan.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Yeah, my menus run like pants now post the last patch.

I wish they would go back to how it ran just after the pro came out. Everything was so smooth and the game was a dream to play. Seems like each subsequent patch makes it worse and worse. Typical DICE I suppose.

Yeah, my menus run like pants now post the last patch.

I wish they would go back to how it ran just after the pro came out. Everything was so smooth and the game was a dream to play. Seems like each subsequent patch makes it worse and worse. Typical DICE I suppose.

Yep I have issues switching between the tabs in the main menu. on PS4 Pro

kingwingin

Does ea access give you discounts on premium?

Im thinking of grabbing a month and picking up bf1 premium but just want to make sure first

Top Bottom