• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

This game's grand daddy BFBC2 didn't have prone so I don't think it would make much change, outside if the guns that require being prone to use them.

I feel like I'm back in a halo thread where people keep hitching about sprint, only now it's prone. I'll say here what I told them, deal with it

I applied to the XB1 platoon couple days ago, too. There's more than three of us on XBOX though? Right? ;(

Don't like the Frontlines timer. So irritating having 1/3 of your team disconnect or quit, do your damnedest to hang on at the last telegraph hoping for new players to join, push out and take one or two objectives, game over...

I accepted a few people on Sunday. I'll check again later today to see if more people applied.

Unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be an invite option when you're about to jump into a game. You can only join a game with someone who's already in one.

EDIT: Never mind, you can invite and join, but the platoon UI doesn't show you if the other people are actually playing BF1.

I tried, but I wasn't able to get anything. I also tried using Audacity to view the code, no luck there.

Maybe I'll give it another shot later.

Some maps it's easier to get clearer sound. I wasn't thinking and grabbed the Sentry kit and basically ruined my audio with the breathing lol. I'll have to take it through Audacity to see if I can clean it up. Never used it before but I don't want to run around Sinai again. Plenty of empty servers to hunt on but the problem is there's only two known headphone locations on Sinai.

Some maps it's easier to get clearer sound. I wasn't thinking and grabbed the Sentry kit and basically ruined my audio with the breathing lol. I'll have to take it through Audacity to see if I can clean it up. Never used it before but I don't want to run around Sinai again. Plenty of empty servers to hunt on but the problem is there's only two known headphone locations on Sinai.

I did it on Ballroom Blitz, and there was a weird amount of background noise.

I'm honestly half tempted to see if any of my friends know morse.

Also it's really crappy that Premium for BF4 included 5 packs with 4 maps each (even if one of the packs was redone BF3 maps) and BF1 only includes 4 packs with 4 maps each. They couldn't have done another pack? Or just add even 1 more map to each pack?

meh, are the They Shall Not Pass maps good at least?

Also it's really crappy that Premium for BF4 included 5 packs with 4 maps each (even if one of the packs was redone BF3 maps) and BF1 only includes 4 packs with 4 maps each. They couldn't have done another pack? Or just add even 1 more map to each pack?

They're alright, but I hate how the DLC is segregated into a completely separate playlist. When I play Conquest, I don't want to choose between the base maps and the DLC maps. I want everything integrated together. I can only imagine how bad it'll get once all four map packs are released.

They're alright, but I hate how the DLC is segregated into a completely separate playlist. When I play Conquest, I don't want to choose between the base maps and the DLC maps. I want everything integrated together. I can only imagine how bad it'll get once all four map packs are released.

Reason number 500 why they just need to make the maps free somehow.

Are there any servers that have all 14 maps in rotation though?

DeaDPo0L84

EA really needs to get with the fucking times and make maps free. I really hope that ends up being the case with SWBF2.

The paywall for new content will be the downfall of this game come this fall when the market gets flooded with AAA shooters.

there's no Premium DLC for that one

There's so many ways to monetize mp games now that's not really an excuse anymore.

Off the top of my head; exclusive/early access/no assignments needed to unlock new weapons, vehicle packages or gadgets, xp/currency boosts, exclusive/early access to weapon camos/vehicle camos/soldier camos, early access to maps, free battlepacks (which they already do) etc.

EA/DICE isn't some underfunded indie studio and there's no reason why they're still splitting up the community with map packs while making premium players suffer too because of lack of population.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but I'd be more inclined to buy Premium if they promised the maps would be added for free down the line, since I know I wouldn't have to deal with playlist shenanigans.

There's so many ways to monetize mp games now that's not really an excuse anymore.

Off the top of my head; exclusive/early access/no assignments needed to unlock new weapons, vehicle packages or gadgets, xp/currency boosts, exclusive/early access to weapon camos/vehicle camos/soldier camos, early access to maps, free battlepacks (which they already do) etc.

EA/DICE isn't some underfunded indie studio and there's no reason why they're still splitting up the community with map packs while making premium players suffer too because of lack of population.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but I'd be more inclined to buy Premium if they promised the maps would be added for free down the line, since I know I wouldn't have to deal with playlist shenanigans.
Something like a month exclusive for the maps before being made free to everyone, exclusive weapons and gadgets, XP boosts, exclusive customization, etc would make Premium/SWBF2 Season Pass worth it (and they should charge no more than $40 for it, preferably $30) knowing that maps will be free to everyone after the exclusive period. I didn't get Premium for BF1 because I've been burned four times now with DLC maps being dead after only a few months (BF3, BF4, CODAW, SWBF).

We are getting Neville Nights, but I totally agree. Hopefully we will get more maps that just haven't been announced yet.

Some custom servers do. I'd rather not have free maps, look at every other game that offers them. Mainly OverWatch and R6: Siege, they release their maps at a snails pace. I'd rather pay and get more maps, more often.

I did it on Ballroom Blitz, and there was a weird amount of background noise.

I'm honestly half tempted to see if any of my friends know morse.

I know there are also programs that will visualize the sound file where you can clearly see the dots and dashes. I really like this kind of stuff. Can't wait to see where it goes. The Phantom Bow was fun but a bit of a grind. This is more interesting I think.

We are getting Neville Nights, but I totally agree. Hopefully we will get more maps that just haven't been announced yet.

Some custom servers do. I'd rather not have free maps, look at every other game that offers them. Mainly OverWatch and R6: Siege, they release their maps at a snails pace. I'd rather pay and get more maps, more often.

Siege has released 6 DLC maps free of charge with a confirmed 7th, 8th and 9th all coming soon. I'd rather be able to play on all maps for free then pay to not be able to play on the paid maps.

At the very least they should make the Premium maps free a month after the last pack is released or something. That way there's still a lot of maps, there's still a reason to buy Premium and Premium users don't get shafted by the end of the DLC lifecycle. They did that thing in BF4 where they made the DLCs free for like a week, but at that point I'd rather they just made them mandatory downloads and free forever and I bought Premium day 1 for that game.

And Overwatch is an outlier, they take forever to release new maps but that's not really indicative of other games with free maps. Titanfall 2 already has more maps than OW added after launch and the game's been out for almost half as long. Mass Effect 3 was a tacked-on multiplayer to a singleplayer ARPG series and that game had a ton of free maps as well.

I never understood why Dice dont have official servers will all maps as a rotation. Makes no sense to me. This cant help the user base if no official servers actually exist with all maps on them.

I never want to play on only vanilla or only dlc maps. I want everything. I dont get it.

man i forgot how good the gunplay is in this game

blows my mind that people prefer 3 or 4's style

also what are some of the better grenades/sidearms/melee weapons?

man i forgot how good the gunplay is in this game

blows my mind that people prefer 3 or 4's style

also what are some of the better grenades/sidearms/melee weapons?

The hatchet is the best melee weapon imo. It destroys wood and barbed wire and does pretty heavy damage.

Lulu23

I never understood why Dice dont have official servers will all maps as a rotation. Makes no sense to me. This cant help the user base if no official servers actually exist with all maps on them.

I never want to play on only vanilla or only dlc maps. I want everything. I dont get it.

They want you to rent a server to set up a custom map rotation.

Ahh that's possible, I saw it on jackfrags I didn't actually try it

Tried it again yesterday, and yeah, the kills went to the hellriegel (which is fine cause I haven't hit 300 yet). I'm gonna have to be really sneaky against tanks.

Put them by capture points. When the tank full of dudes rolls up to cap you'll soak up the kills

I've been attempting this, and I have yet to get the random kills. Also, how long do the mines stay on the map after I've respawned? I'm always tempted to just set down new mines once I respawn.

zorbsie

I've been attempting this, and I have yet to get the random kills. Also, how long do the mines stay on the map after I've respawned? I'm always tempted to just set down new mines once I respawn.

They last forever or until you place new ones down. Sometimes when I drop them and think they are in a good spot I'll come back later and notice they blew up without taking anything out. So go back and replace them once in awhile during the match. Seeing a bunch of names pop up when you are nowhere near the spot is very satisfying.

They stay forever, including between Ops rounds. You can only have three at a time though (four if you're using a vehicle that lays them like the Artillery Truck), and they'll start despawning if you put down more. They can be destroyed by enemies and teammates, though.

It's usually best to lay them and then switch to another gadget until they get blown up.

Awesome, good to know! Though it is oddly satisfying goading tanks towards you when they haven't seen me place the mines.

The Hellriegel defensive is definitely the hardest assignment out of the four. Makes sense if you want that 120 bullet magazine.

My favorite places to lay AT mines are in the water on Fao Fortress, and outside that tunnel that tanks spawn in on Empire's Edge. Rack up them kills.

Tried it again yesterday, and yeah, the kills went to the hellriegel (which is fine cause I haven't hit 300 yet). I'm gonna have to be really sneaky against tanks.

Its really about patience. I tend to put them down near a flag or on main roads i know they use a lot, like coming out of their initial spawn. Ill get kills 10-15 minutes after placing them. So satisfying. I did that a ton in 4.

Binabik15

I'm ready to throw my fucking controller. The fucking game so often decides to stop detecting my shots. Usually it starts with tanks just not firing. Then later my normal guns won't hit. Blood sprays. But no hit markers or kills. Decent ping on me and everyone else. Then I can search another fucking server or play a round without getting to fight back. Had 0-6 on Sinai (piece of shit map, why do people vote for this ugly barren shit) and got 5th overall AND COULD NOT KILL.

Right now I need 5 LMG kills for a medal and several times I had 4 and and hitting more dudes did nothing but getting my face shot off. Christ. This sucks so hard. This makes me want that stupid medal in the first place. Because I won't ever have it. Bravo.

WillyFive

I'm ready to throw my fucking controller. The fucking game so often decides to stop detecting my shots. Usually it starts with tanks just not firing. Then later my normal guns won't hit. Blood sprays. But no hit markers or kills. Decent ping on me and everyone else. Then I can search another fucking server or play a round without getting to fight back. Had 0-6 on Sinai (piece of shit map, why do people vote for this ugly barren shit) and got 5th overall AND COULD NOT KILL.

Right now I need 5 LMG kills for a medal and several times I had 4 and and hitting more dudes did nothing but getting my face shot off. Christ. This sucks so hard. This makes me want that stupid medal in the first place. Because I won't ever have it. Bravo.

If you want to enjoy Battlefield 1, ignore the medals. I learned this at launch.

If you want to enjoy Battlefield 1, ignore the medals. I learned this at launch.

The medals being rotated every 7 days and only able to be tracked one at a time is still mind-bogglingly stupid. I get that they reward a lot of XP upon completion but I'd rather them give less XP and not be so stupid. Like oh, I don't know, how the last few games did it?

god fucking dammit i did that shitty fucking kill 15 people in one round with the shitty autoloading gun (the one with only 5 bullets for a semi auto lol) and then it showed up the next round that I didn't do it

what's the best gamemode to get the x kills in one round?

also after playing them all on conquest once I'd rank the dlc maps as Soissons> Verdun Heights> Rupture> Locker/Metro but not as bad edition

Daffy Duck

You too huh?

Last night i nearly smashed my controller on the floor, joined a game last night and at the start of the round I was 0-8 as I couldn't kill anyone, like you say blood was spraying but no hitmarkers or anything and I just got wasted in every battle.

What have they done?

I thought it was just the mp18 was trash now after using the hellriegel for so long but it was a same story when I switched to that or a sniper rifle.

Looks like the new map is only for CTE, and Nivelle Nights will come out in June for premium pass people.

So potentially by July, we will have an additional 11 maps released for the game if this new map and the new expansion come out by then. Loving the new monthly updates and all the additional maps.

Turkoop

Banned
So potentially by July, we will have an additional 11 maps released for the game if this new map and the new expansion come out by then. Loving the new monthly updates and all the additional maps.

Yes, seems they're working now harder on postgame-updates than few months ago.

Finally unlocked all 4 new weapons and tested them out very briefly. These are just some first impressions so my thoughts may change.

Hellriegel defensive is nice with the 120 bullet clip, but I think the optical scope is useless/too inaccurate.

Huot optical is similar to all the other optical LMGs. Not too bad.

Selb 1906 sniper is just as shitty as the factory version. Freaking headshot and a second body shot didn't give me a kill. 5 rounds really isn't enough.

Martini sniper is kind of crappy too. The range isn't as good as the other sniper guns so I don't know why you would choose this one. If you're going to PTFO as a scout, the martini factory or the other infantry/carbine variants would be much much better.

Top Bottom