• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 360 Dev Screens/Videos Leak, Including New Jet Level [DICE Responds]

Zeona

Neo Member
Pachterballs said:
There's actually legitimate value to the ps3/x360 port comparisions. They're close but sometimes 1 or the other is better and multiplatform owners want to know this.

Just like there is actual value in a PC-consoles comparison thread (I would not count this thread as one of them, though). I prefer some kinds of games on my consoles and some on my PC, but with the graphical and in some cases even feature gap widening there are cases in which I choose the PC version although I would usually play it on console and for that decision such threads are helpful.

duckroll

Pranay_ said:
Wouldnt it better mocking the console version with the official xbox 360 pics ? Rather then the alpha which can also be fake ?

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll have more threads in 2012 and 2013 to take care of that.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
duckroll said:
We mock Bayonetta on PS3 once a year. What's wrong with mocking the console version of BF3 if it looks bad?

Now that would invalidate every 360/PS3 comparison, and where is the fun in that?

I cannot wait to see the fanboy war over the console versions of BF3.

JJD

duckroll said:
For your sake, I hope I never see you talking about how a multiplatform game on the Xbox360 looks worse than the PS3 version... again! Pot/Kettle? :)

Well, if he owns a PS3 and a 360 I think it would be fair to make such comparisons since he could play either versions! I think Stu actually has a point...

Please don't ban me! :-(

The next games I'm buying are Gears 3, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls. If I had choose a super duper PC I could only play Battlefield 3... Now explain me how the fuck do you play Uncharted 3 on a PC? And no, I'm not buying a console AND a gaming PC. I need a laptop for work so I'd only use it for gaming.

The M.O.B said:
Why are 360 shots at 1080P, shouldnt they be at 720p or something.

TVs aren't native 720p, so it makes perfect sense to present the image as it will actually be displayed even those with "720p" sets will stilhave to suffer lousy up/down scaling. The compression needs to go, but other than that, its a perfectly fine representation of how the game currently looks on an actual HDTV.

duckroll

molekiller said:
The next games I'm buying are Gears 3, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls. If I had choose a super duper PC I could only play Battlefield 3... Now explain me how the fuck do you play Uncharted 3 on a PC? And no, I'm not buying a console AND a gaming PC. I need a laptop for work so I'd only use it for gaming.

Nobody needs to explain anything to you though. What you want or do not want to do with your money and time is your business. If you want to play an inferior looking game and you're happy with it, by all means.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would have thought the discussion on a new console generation would have gotten serious when DICE announced they have to gimp the multiplayer from 64 to 24 players on consoles.

That is a considerable difference and affects gameplay at a fundamental level. Do console players not like 64 player MP?

molekiller said:

people with "super duper pcs" usually also own a console.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay, so like...

2009: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374523
2010: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415648
2011: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439332

We mock Bayonetta on PS3 once a year. What's wrong with mocking the console version of BF3 if it looks bad?
None of those threads seem to be mocking the PS3 version to me. And I posted in all three, with regards to the actual difference in SKUs.

This thread isn't a console gamer asking how poor BF3 is on the console he's forced to play it on, it's a PC gamer calling for the consoles to be killed, which is fine, but I don't see how that would benefit BF3 in any way. In fact this seems like the worst game to do this with, you could make the argument console gaming is 'holding back' PC ports, and it is, but it's not with BF3, and the reason someone would do this with a BF3 thread is because the gulf in quality is so large.

This doesn't read like it's about a technical comparison of a game, it reads like it's about shitting on platforms. But as it's seemingly mod certified shitting, I won't bother debating it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Kintaro said:
I would have thought the discussion on a new console generation would have gotten series when DICE announced they have to gimp the multiplayer from 64 to 24 players on consoles.

That is a considerable difference and affects gameplay at a fundamental level. Do console players not like 64 player MP?

Of course they do, but instead of clamoring for new systems (or building a PC) they'd rather just trash DICE for focusing on PC and not being able to make 64 players work on 5-6 year old hardware.

Erasus

Bad Company 2 looks great on console to me and I play that on PC mostly.

Would be weird if BF2 loocked worse than BF Bad Company 2 on consoles...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
StuBurns said:
This doesn't read like it's about a technical comparison of a game, it reads like it's about shitting on platforms. But as it's seemingly mod certified shitting, I won't bother debating it.

I think every member in GAF should have already known that this forum is more lenient towards PC gaming and the bias for it is stronger.

Well, it's just that anyone should just take this kind of thread with a grain of salt. Just relax, and enjoy your day, hahaha.

Anerythristic said:
you could go on because you give a shit about any of that stuff, i have no idea if its good or bad that i have no idea what half of those things you mentioned are. is the game fun or not? is first on my list. does the game run at 1400p and have superior tessalation and HBO is like fifteenth on my list, probably lower to be honest. so i guess pc gaming is really not for me. i mean i can't even tell the difference in feet per second.

The PC version is actually improving a lot of things that have nothing directly to do with graphics. Or is gameplay "fifteenth "on that list as well?

JJD

Kintaro said:
I would have thought the discussion on a new console generation would have gotten series when DICE announced they have to gimp the multiplayer from 64 to 24 players on consoles.

Of course I would like. But the thing is, if the only way I can play BF3 is by having less players per game, reduced resolution and framerate am I willing to accept this compromises? At least for me, the answer is yes.

SmokyDave

molekiller said:
Thing is, I want to play Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 too. Ideally, I want to play them with the kind of graphics that I can get out of my PC. That's kinda where this topic came in, it's time for new consoles. If the consoles didn't have decent exclusive franchises, I wouldn't give a shit when the hardware caught up.

starok

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:
Of course they do, but instead of clamoring for new systems (or building a PC) they'd rather just trash DICE for focusing on PC and not being able to make 64 players work on 5-6 year old hardware.

Stop spreading bullshit.
A lot of console players want new consoles to come out as fast as possible.
And I didn't see any of them complaining about DICE focusing on PC.

JJD

Ysiadmihi said:

Come on my friend...I didn't see no one trashing Dice for focusing on PC...

What I have seen is PC gamers trashing Dice when BF3 was believed to be developed for consoles and ported to the PC like Bad Company was.

iNvid02

i went from playing pc for a while to the u3 mp beta and it looked fine for the most part, maybe because its uncharted though

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
JJD said:
Of course I would like. But the thing is, if the only way I can play BF3 is by having less players per game, reduced resolution and framerate am I willing to accept this compromises? At least for me, the answer is yes.

That is not the only way though.

*looks at pix*
*watches videos*

well, at least i don't have to worry about some admin kicking me from the server for using an RPG on infantry or spawn camping...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ysiadmihi said:

Man, I always thought it's just the console players in GAF that like to play victim :p

If anything, it is mostly the ones decided to focus to console that suddenly got shitted upon, case in point: BioWare and CryTek.

SmokyDave said:
Thing is, I want to play Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 too. Ideally, I want to play them with the kind of graphics that I can get out of my PC. That's kinda where this topic came in, it's time for new consoles. If the consoles didn't have decent exclusive franchises, I wouldn't give a shit when the hardware caught up.

I was wondering when someone would finally state the obvious. Personally I'll always primarily play PC games but if there are always going to be console exclusives then it would be nice if the gap wasn't so wide. It's like the Grand Canyon.

Izayoi said:
Shots downscaled to their native res...
PICS

Definitely time for a new generation no matter which way you cut it, though.

Who here on GAF actually owns a HDTV with a native 1280x720 resolution panel that 1:1 pixel maps a720p image? I guess a few projector owners could lay that claim but that sort of image quality is going to be an abomination at 100" so the point is kind of moot. I stand by my assertion, presenting the images at 1080p is the closest to a real world representation tat you're going to get.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
starok said:
Stop spreading bullshit.
A lot of console players want new consoles to come out as fast as possible.
And I didn't see any of them complaining about DICE focusing on PC.

I'm seeing many more console gamers getting all defensive about the "master race" than agreeing that new hardware is needed in this thread.

JJD

Kintaro said:
That is not the only way though.

I know, but for me it is. And for a lot of other people it probably is too.

I don't really want a gaming PC right now. I could easily buy one, but I just got married so I've got other priorities. Besides I'm a mac user. I'll probably get one some time in the future thought.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people who would love a gaming PC but can't afford one. Their only option would be a console! There's a nice gaffer on the Bad Company 2 thread on this situation right now...

duckroll said:
Single player Battlefield. Lolololol. Lulz.

Pretty much, SP is NOT the reason why one plays Battlefield.

However, the gulf between the SP and MP visuals is quite pronounced in Battlefield games, moreso than other FPS games, at least.

Pranay

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm seeing many more console gamers getting all defensive about the "master race" than agreeing that new hardware is needed in this thread.

I am fine with the GFX of consoles and these GFX [bf3 screens posted here] do not represent the GFX of Consoles games.
BF3 will look much better then these screenshots cause even BFBC2 looks better then these.

Get it ?

starok

Banned
Ysiadmihi said:

That's because the whole point of this thread was to shit on consoles.

If you want talk about new consoles, there are many other threads for this.

StuBurns

Banned
Pranay_ said:
I am fine with the GFX of consoles and these GFX [bf3 screens posted here] do not represent the GFX of Consoles games.
BF3 will look much better then these screenshots cause even BFBC2 looks better then these.

Get it ?
How do you know? BC2 was a game designed for consoles and ported to PC. This is a game designed for PC and ported to consoles. I don't think it being weaker would be a surprise.

Highlaw

Banned
Did anyone see the new jet SP mission video? The sound is amazing.

Regarding the 360 vesion, unfortunately I'll have to get both because of my friends, but after the initial rush wears off I'll definitely play more on the PC

Cday said:
In all seriousness Mirror's Edge is one of the best looking games on PC.

Definitely not gonna disagree with you there, the art direction is 10x doper at higher resolutions and those crazy PhysX additions.

I own that game on console and PC and will likely do the same with Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: PS3/360 Have Anti-Aliasing, 1280x704

At least it has AA and a higher Resolution...... nope it doesnt. If it would look like that and had 64 Players i would be okay with it but the truth is... it doesnt have 64 Players.

raphier

Banned
StuBurns said:
How do you know? BC2 was a game designed for consoles and ported to PC. This is a game designed for PC and ported to consoles. I don't think it being weaker would be a surprise.
I dont think its ported. They can claim that, but console can still be their main sku all they want. I mean sure the PC version looks hawt, because the engine was kind of made for that, tested on it. But if its anything like DXHR, the console was their main thing :p yet PC still looked good.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
starok said:
That's because the whole point of this thread was to shit on consoles.

The 360 and PS3 are well past their prime. Given what the PC version looks like, and given that normally new consoles would be releasing this year and could look just as good, I don't see what's wrong with shitting on these consoles unless you start attacking people personally.

Again, it was acceptable to trash the Wii's graphics 5 years ago, but now the 360/PS3 are forbidden? Come on people.

3204840swsw.gif

Top Bottom