• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

red731

As I thought.

Aggressive medic I am, throwing medkits like I care, sticking to your butts I will be.

I'm not a rapper.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

bbagwell

Alright, any of you playing on the 360 this morning, let us know how it is playing. Lag / rubber banding, or silky smooth?

Also, do you actually have to play the retail game before you can access battlelog on the net?

DarkFlow

Banned
I myself like to play everything. I just kind of jump around depending on what's needed. I'll start as recon on rush if I'm attacking to get a spawn Bacon down. I'm just more of a team player I guess.

bbagwell said:
Also, do you actually have to play the retail game before you can access battlelog on the net?

it appears so, i find this extremely silly as that rules out any showing off the stats to friends who don't have the game (yet) and so on.

bbagwell

My next question comes from a comment in the OT. Evilore and another GAFer mentioned that it looked like beta stats were not reset. Have beta stats been reset?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Noisepurge said:
oh evo don't be such a killjoy! :D i'm sure they will bombard us with weekly patches and the game will be perfection!

They changed all the controls for every vehicle. I get in a chopper. Another dude jumps in. You know what happens? About four seconds after lifting off the carrier I put in the drink. Twice!

Omg that's what noobs do! I am not a noob but this makes me feel like one.

BC2 vehicles are a second skin for me. It is so ingrained that I don't even actually know what the controls are. It's just muscle memory. I realized this playing BF3 when I went into options trying to find the setup I use in BC2... I was having trouble even remembering what config I use. It was pretty funny (well now that I'm thinking about it after a few hours of sleep, but last night I was frustrated) I'm in the menus trying to get some config that lets me pilot a tank without popping smoke in my own goddamned face when I try to fire on a guy or going reverse every time I try to go forward. I mean it's almost comical how wrong I was every time I touched a vehicle. Every time. I weep for my passengers (if you guys are reading this I'm SO sorry. Blame DICE!)

I'm just left asking myself: why? Why change every damn thing about the game? I think I use "BC1 controls" for buttons in BC2 iirc and as far as I can tell this option is not available.

While they're at it they should have just force inverted my reg camera as well... I probably wouldn't do much worse!

lol.

Miggytronz

Evolved1 said:
They changed all the controls for every vehicle. I get in a chopper. Another dude jumps in. You know what happens? About four seconds after lifting off the carrier I put in the drink. Twice!

Omg that's what noobs do! I am not a noob but this makes me feel like one.

BC2 vehicles are a second skin for me. It is so ingrained that I don't even actually know what the controls are. It's just muscle memory. I realized this playing BF3 when I went into options trying to find the setup I use in BC2... I was having trouble even remembering what config I use. It was pretty funny (well now that I'm thinking about it after a few hours of sleep, but last night I was frustrated) I'm in the menus trying to get some config that lets me pilot a tank without popping smoke in my own goddamned face when I try to fire on a guy or going reverse every time I try to go forward. I mean it's almost comical how wrong I was every time I touched a vehicle. Every time. I weep for my passengers (if you guys are reading this I'm SO sorry. Blame DICE!)

I'm just left asking myself: why? Why change every damn thing about the game? I think I use "BC1 controls" for buttons in BC2 iirc and as far as I can tell this option is not available.

While they're at it they should have just force inverted my reg camera as well... I probably wouldn't do much worse!

lol.

I think you can set it to Alternate and inverted for BC1 controls....dont quote me on that.

Evolved1 said:
I think I use "BC1 controls" for buttons in BC2 iirc and as far as I can tell this option is not available.

damn, i used BC1 controls too. It was much more efficient to be able to use throttle on the L2 and L1 and weapons on R2 and R1 :/

Evolved1

Mikasangelos said:
I think you can set it to Alternate and inverted for BC1 controls....dont quote me on that.

Alternate is some other weird setting. I've tried most of their presets without much luck.

darkwing said:
wait, so you can't change the vehicle controls?

They have a number of presets, it's just that I hate all of them. They didn't include one of the most popular configs from BC2.

And you can't customize... so you're stuck with what's there.

Evolved1

FACELESS or SEKS:

help me solve this riddle... lets say I want to fly a chopper in BF3 and want to use a config that mirrors my BC2 config (default everything, inverted vertical flight). What would I have to use on BF3 to achieve this?

Everything I try ends with me crashing ten seconds after taking off.

In BC2 "inverted" means "inverted", but in BF3 "inverted" is apparently "non-inverted" since it's inverted by default, and selecting "inverted" gets you "non inverted".

If you had trouble following that sentence, well welcome to the BF3 options menu! But for full effect try to figure this out in the middle of a hectic game! And crash ten vehicles in the process while your team loses flags and the brand new K/D tracker rubs it in!

lol... and of course for extra awesomeness the inverted stuff is opposite for planes. Makes total sense.

darkwing

Evolved1 said:
FACELESS or SEKS:

help me solve this riddle... lets say I want to fly a chopper in BF3 and want to use a config that mirrors my BC2 config (default everything, inverted vertical flight). What would I have to use on BF3 to achieve this?

Everything I try ends with me crashing ten seconds after taking off.

In BC2 "inverted" means "inverted", but in BF3 "inverted" is apparently "non-inverted" since it's inverted by default, and selecting "inverted" gets you "non inverted".

If you had trouble following that sentence, well welcome to the BF3 options menu! But for full effect try to figure this out in the middle of a hectic game! And crash ten vehicles in the process while your team loses flags and the brand new K/D tracker rubs it in!

lol... and of course for extra awesomeness the inverted stuff is opposite for planes. Makes total sense.

argh, so different controls for helos and jets?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Evolved1 said:
FACELESS or SEKS:

Considering I don't have the game and probably won't have it until later today because I'm waiting for UPS shipping, I suggest you hold your bitching until I have the game in my hands and can honestly tell you some shit. :|

Evolved1

darkwing said:
argh, so different controls for helos and jets?

Yeah, completely different. My one time in a jet, I'd say it felt kind of like the planes in 1943 but I can't be sure because my y axis was opposite of what I thought it'd be and I crashed in 5 seconds.

Choppers are some weird thing that I can't wrap my head around and there's no way to practice or mess around with options outside of a live game. So I feel really terrible wasting a vehicle. And I do waste it. Every time.

Between this and the aiming control I can't get used to
despise
I'm thinking maybe my initial feelings from the beta were correct and this just isn't the game for me.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
PS3 version should be locked and loaded tonight. EST. I have 2 squad mates and may be looking for one or two more.

My skill rating typically hovered in the 190's on BFBC2.

Just noticed this thread.

Was looking in the gaming section since the old BFBC2 thread was all PS3 users nearly lol.

Well I'm looking for people to play with on PS3, played with some of you during BFBC2 but not as much as I would have liked cause my RL friends would always drag me into there squads in other games.

But I really need skilled players. I'm not gonna toot my own horn but I'm not bad at the game and I really did to find good players like myself. I love my firends like brothers but after BFBC2 and last nights launch playing with them I'm tired of seeing myself in the top 3 scores and my buddies all filling out the last place spots.

Last straw was last night while I was dring the APC...
I pull up to a MCOM with my buddie in the gunners seat... MCOM is inside the building...so what does he do??
He jumps the fuck out...
I'm like "what are you doing!!" "He says, attacking the MCOM"

I think to myself..."whats an APC with no gunner??...A BIG METAL DEATH TRAP!
I have the option to sit and wait to die with no ability to attack back..the ability to drive off and not beable to attack back...or to jump in the gunners seat and become a stationary gun just waiting to be C4'd or AT smacked.

Well he dies inside the building and I get hit from 10 angles with rockets...I went to bed after that lol.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Considering I don't have the game and probably won't have it until later today because I'm waiting for UPS shipping, I suggest you hold your bitching until I have the game in my hands and can honestly tell you some shit. :|

I was hoping you'd be like Rain Man and have all this shit in your head ready to solve problems.

*crosses arms* I am disappointed.

darkwing

i was wondering if the BF3 clan system is like other games like in KZ3 where you can join your clan mates game even if you are not his/her PSN friend

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why do we have PC and Console exclusive threads? Due the trolling?

Also: WAIT FOR ME HERMANO ROCKSCAR ! Two more weeks until i get internet again. (Better connection this time!)

PS3 BF oh yes.
So i guess im the only one at least messing with the campaign a little before playing online? Meh.

Some of you may remember me and i have some of you on my PSN list already so LETS DO THIS. (when im satisfactorily done with the campaign)

darkwing

Fersis said:
Why do we have PC and Console exclusive threads? Due the trolling?

Also: WAIT FOR ME HERMANO ROCKSCAR ! Two more weeks until i get internet again. (Better connection this time!)

console related stuff will be overlooked in the main BF thread, it's better this way :]

Evolved1

And we actually talk about the game. Well... Seks would probably say that I bitch. But you know what I mean.

edit: Make sure you guys post when you get the game. I need to play with some friends to help me through this difficult time. haha

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Evolved1 said:
I was hoping you'd be like Rain Man and have all this shit in your head ready to solve problems.

*crosses arms* I am disappointed.

Well, unless you give me pictures of the controls or text descriptions I can't help you just yet. Besides: I haven't even seen or played the game outside of those map gameplay leaks the past two days. I'm going in blind. Hold your horses, I can't ESP for you all of a sudden. >:|

I think to myself..."whats an APC with no gunner??...A BIG METAL DEATH TRAP!
I have the option to sit and wait to die with no ability to attack back..the ability to drive off and not beable to attack back...or to jump in the gunners seat and become a stationary gun just waiting to be C4'd or AT smacked.

Erm... you should've moved it and put it near a choke point and made it stationary, ya? Not being able to attack isn't an issue, so long as you are engineer. If you're not and you're going solo, you better be prepared to die in it and be giving the enemy hell until they take you out.

olimpia84

hamchan said:
My PC barely meets minimum so I'm joining the PS3 crowd this time. I wonder if Australia to America matches are possible or will it be too laggy.

It shouldn't be a problem, or at least it wasn't in BC2. Played with HuntingBeast (Australian gaffer) several times and never had any issues.

Evolved1 said:
And we actually talk about the game. Well... Seks would probably say that I bitch. But you know what I mean.

Yeah, everytime a game comes out for console and PC and it has just a big of a following, if not more players on PC, the thread is basically 2 post discussing the game followed by 150 post from PC users trying to get it to run, optimizing settings, etc...

I actually posted in the thread about where the console players are and meet ups moments before finding/posting here.
Being un-PC savvy that thread just makes my head hurt, once a game becomes more then "insert disc and play" I cant F with it.

Evolved1

Pkm said:
Yeah, everytime a game comes out for console and PC and it has just a big of a following, if not more players on PC, the thread is basically 2 post discussing the game followed by 150 post from PC users trying to get it to run, optimizing settings, etc...

I actually posted in the thread about where the console players are and meet ups moments before finding/posting here.
Being un-PC savvy that thread just makes my head hurt, once a game becomes more then "insert disc and play" I cant F with it.

Last straw for me in the OT was pc players posting a shitload of spoiler screenshots from the campaign before other people even had the game.

Evolved1

Does aim assist work in MP? I always turn it off, so I'm just wondering...

owlbeak

Evolved1 said:
Does aim assist work in MP? I always turn it off, so I'm just wondering...
I think all it does is very briefly lock onto someone if they're close to you, just like in BFBC2. Doesn't really lock on for you.

Cornbread78

olimpia84 said:
It shouldn't be a problem, or at least it wasn't in BC2. Played with HuntingBeast (Australian gaffer) several times and never had any issues.

Are you playing on PS3 again? If so add my, so I can jump in with you guys from time to time. I usually play Tues. Friday and Sat night, but I'll be splitting time between R3, WKC2 and BF3... Too many games, not enough time!

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:
Are you playing on PS3 again? If so add my, so I can jump in with you guys from time to time. I usually play Tues. Friday and Sat night, but I'll be splitting time between R3, WKC2 and BF3... Too many games, not enough time!

Hey cornbread, todahawk (PSNid) here, we've played BC2 and CoD together. Just got my PS3 copy delivered @ work and I'm trying hard not to bail and leave early to play.

Definitely taking Friday off.

Shit, BC2 PS3GAF nostalgia </tear drop>:
fersis
seks
olimpia
evolved
darkwing

Evolved1

Well... so far "legacy" sticks is the closest I've found to BC2 default heli controls.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this the thread where we post PS3 IDs? It seems every other platform has a meet up thread except PS3 and I really want to link up with Gaffers since I'll actually be playing MP in this for a long time.

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:

yeah, i'm plowing through Dark Souls and still need to finish off Deus Ex. At least my backlog will last me through next summer.

Cornbread78

greenjerk said:
Hey cornbread, todahawk (PSNid) here, we've played BC2 and CoD together. Just got my PS3 copy delivered @ work and I'm trying hard not to bail and leave early to play.

Definitely taking Friday off.

Shit, BC2 PS3GAF nostalgia </tear drop>:
fersis
seks
olimpia
evolved
darkwing

LOL, if I see you guys on, I may jump into a game with you all. I'll probably have the same problem as I did in BFBC2, where your squad's are always full, or I get put onto the other team and spend the whole game trying to hide or tank whore, lol.

RoboPlato said:
Is this the thread where we post PS3 IDs? It seems every other platform has a meet up thread except PS3 and I really want to link up with Gaffers since I'll actually be playing MP in this for a long time.

Yes, chat in here, and you can sign up on the unofficial roster in the OP. My PSN is the same as name here, so you can add me, but I'm not on as much as the others and I'm part of a large gaming clan as well, so I'm sure they will be harassing me constantly as well, lol. 'Dem my boys though, just like Blue. Speakign of Blue, I wonder if he is getting BF3.

Miggytronz

Deadly Cyclone said:
So, how is it on Xbox? Anyone playing? Look better than the beta?

OH yeah it looks better. I mean at this point you shouldnt even bring up the BETA. Its a totally different game. IMO.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sure what the hell. I ordered on PS3 as a double dip, I couldn't turn down the Amazon deal.

I can't guarantee that I'm going to be playing PS3 version often but when I do it would be good to team up with GAF instead of randoms who think every game is TDM.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cornbread78 said:
Yes, chat in here, and you can sign up on the unofficial roster in the OP. My PSN is the same as name here, so you can add me, but I'm not on as much as the others and I'm part of a large gaming clan as well, so I'm sure they will be harassing me constantly as well, lol. 'Dem my boys though, just like Blue. Speakign of Blue, I wonder if he is getting BF3.
Awesome, I didn't realize the OP had been updated. Filled out the form. My ID is also the same as my username here. I have the game but I'm just waiting for UPS to come with the new PS3 stereo headphones before I start. It's torture but a Breaking Bad marathon is making the wait easier.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Mikasangelos said:
OH yeah it looks better. I mean at this point you shouldnt even bring up the BETA. Its a totally different game. IMO.

Good to hear. I figured as much, but hadn't heard any actual Xbox impressions.

todahawk

RoboPlato said:
Awesome, I didn't realize the OP had been updated. Filled out the form. My ID is also the same as my username here. I have the game but I'm just waiting for UPS to come with the new PS3 stereo headphones before I start. It's torture but a Breaking Bad marathon is making the wait easier.

Shit, didn't catch that either. Form filled out.
MY GOD I REALLY NEED TO STAY @ WORK AND GET SOME SHIT DONE BUT THE DAMN GAME IS SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME CALLING MY NAME AND TELLING ME TO BAIL AND GO HOME AND FIRE THAT BITCH UP.

sorry, bad day yesterday and I'm overcompensating with all caps
I really just want Seks to yell at me

Top Bottom