• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
infinityBCRT said:
Overscanning can be disabled on Samsung and LG TVs (from my own experience) by changing your input's label to PC. I've had my LG for around 2 years now and was pretty surprised when I discovered it actually was doing overscan (albeit much a smaller amount than my old samsung) only recently, and thats when I changed the input label to PC. Sucks, because there was one in there for a console which had an xbox 360 controller icon which I was using before.

I really think Sony, Nintendo and MS should get together and help define a new HDMI standard which gives consoles control over stuff like overscan, auto resolution detection, and image calibration.

Usually when re-labeling inputs to PC it disables most post processing, which mean less latency.

FYI to anyone with a Panasonic, most can have overscan disabled by changing the picture setting "HD Size" to 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr. Snrub said:
How is it any worse compared to vanilla?

much, MUCH worse

I don't know how. You had only one grenade in vanilla. And even if you still have only one grenade in Vietnam, everyone play assault (or recon) and spam it because it's uberpowerful and deadly. Fuck this shit, the worst add-on ever.

I honestly never had any problems with grenade spam in Vietnam, or any kind of abuse, really. I just stopped playing it because it got boring after a while.

Regarding the resolution/scaling issue. Such tiny differences are sometimes blown out of proportions. Sure I would want to have minimum scaling (=0) steps and the (reasonable) highest resolution possible, but let's have a little talk about TVs:

Who here has a native 720p HDTV?
ah, I see many hands raising, but you might want to put that hand down.
It's very, very likely your 720p HDTV has a display resolution of 1376x768. That means all your native 1280x720p games will be scaled - no matter what.

It's only more convenient for 1080p HDTVs because 720p upscales nicely to 1080p (1.5 ratio). Though even in that case overscan (= ca. 5% of the picture cropped&zoomed in) would still have a higher impact unless your TV can disable it (e.g. mine only allows that for actual 1080p input, curses!).

I'm glad it has AA though.

anachronous_one said:
Not that I'm defending his point, but the easy argument is to say that PCs have for more variable configurations than consoles.

This is a good point, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking of that.

anachronous_one said:
Not that I'm defending his point, but the easy argument is to say that PCs have for more variable configurations than consoles.

It's not really a beta, it's way too close to release. It's simply a fancy way to say pre-launch timed demo.

MrCompletely said:
It's not really a beta, it's way too close to release. It's simply a fancy way to say pre-launch timed demo.

They'll use the feedback to make some changes that will go on the disc and save the rest for a day one patch.

anachronous_one said:
You're right, there are far more variable configurations. But that doesn't make it fair when they can release all 3 at the same time. I'm 99.999999999999999% sure the beta builds are ready and they're just holding onto it because some marketing wiz (aka smug douche) thinks it's best.

The BC2 demo ended what, one week prior to launch and lasted about 3 weeks? BF3 releases October 25th, call the beta ending October 18th at the latest for the hell of speculation. I honestly don't expect the beta to start until the last week of September.

dope4goldrope said:
You're right, there are far more variable configurations. But that doesn't make it fair when they can release all 3 at the same time. I'm 99.999999999999999% sure the beta builds are ready and they're just holding onto it because some marketing wiz (aka smug douche) thinks it's best.

The BC2 demo ended what, one week prior to launch and lasted about 3 weeks? BF3 releases October 25th, call the beta ending October 18th at the latest for the hell of speculation. I honestly don't expect the beta to start until the last week of September.

I agree, and yes, probably the smug douche is behind it all.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
so the 360 is hanging just fine with the PS3 version? 6 months ago it sounded that ps3 was superior in every way, but maybe BF3 360 will end up better.

Either way, I am buying the superior PC version.

Why are you so spun up on the 360 being superior despite no evidence suggesting so? This makes less sense in context when you say you're not getting either console version.

ChiefKief

Banned
I don't have the slightest idea why I thought September had 31 days xD

EDIT: Bullshit, September just FEELS like a month that deserves 31 days..

J-Rock

Banned
Bored.gif

KageMaru

lol @ the people making it seem like 704 vertical resolution is bad. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

DarkChild said:
No,there was possibilty that it would be sub hd since thats first game using deferred shading on 360 AFAIK(KZ3 on PS3 uses it).Deferred shading games have big g buffer (~20 mb) so it doesn't fit on eDRAM,they have to tile it and that means rendering some geometry twice.So developers lots of times(Reach,Crysis 2) settle for 1152x720 so they don't have to render things twice,and that fits eDRAM like a glow.

Fear 3 was the first game to use fully deferred shading on the 360 and it's full 720p. Just FYI.

Nirolak said:
Battlefield 3 gets around this by using tile based deferred shading on the 360 instead of a more traditional approach.

Actually, I believe all 3 versions use tile based deferred shading, at least according to their 2010 SIGGRAPH presentation. The work is just being done in different areas. I tried finding where I downloaded the slides and had no luck, but here's a screenshot of the title followed by the SPU shading a slides down:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h355/kagemaru10g/tile-based-DR.jpg

I could be off though.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
so the 360 is hanging just fine with the PS3 version? 6 months ago it sounded that ps3 was superior in every way, but maybe BF3 360 will end up better.

Either way, I am buying the superior PC version.

I highly doubt the 360 version will turn out better. If anything both versions may turn out almost exactly the same with each version having a slight advantage in different areas. That seems to be the standard now a days AFAICS.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Tallshortman said:
Why are you so spun up on the 360 being superior despite no evidence suggesting so? This makes less sense in context when you say you're not getting either console version.
why do you think?

Nizz

RoboPlato said:
I'm really glad that they're adding AA. 704p is also fine if it frees up some solid performance. The first two Resistance games ran at that and pretty much no one noticed that they had the black bars until it was pointed out to them.
Yeah, having AA will already make this an improvement over Bad Company 2. And BC2's not a bad looking game on consoles at all. If they pull off a solid framerate at 704p then that's great. It's disappointing when some devs lower the resolution yet the game still struggles with framerate.

I never played Resistance 2 but played 1, and that ran great. Bad Company 2's framerate could get a little rough in some spots in MP.

Broman1978

I play alot BC2 on Xbox 360 and as long BF3 will look better than BC2 on Xbox 360 I am really happy, because I still think BC 2 looks really great=)

KageMaru

Broman1978 said:
I play alot BC2 on Xbox 360 and as long BF3 will look better than BC2 on Xbox 360 I am really happy, because I still think BC 2 looks really great=)

Agreed, the main issue I have with BC2 is the amount of jaggies seen in the high contrast areas.

RavenHawk

Has there been any mention if the PS3 version will come with any "extras" over the 360 version (EA has been adding bonuses to some of their recent games like Dead Space 2, Dante's Inferno, Medal of Honor)?

Miggytronz

RavenHawk said:
Has there been any mention if the PS3 version will come with any "extras" over the 360 version (EA has been adding bonuses to some of their recent games like Dead Space 2, Dante's Inferno, Medal of Honor)?

Battlefield 1943

No_Style

Any other game hide the missing pixels with overscan? I think it's pretty clever.

My LG HDTV is running "Full", so I guess I'll see the two lines.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
I want to see more MP maps. Two out of Nine (not counting Karkand map pack) revealed is such a cocktease.

WEATHER EFFECTS !!!11!!

I swear i'll buy MW3 if there are no weather maps.

Raide said:
I want a huge urban map, chock full of buildings.

you're in luck, because Karl-Magnus Troedsson revealed at gamescom that there are more urban environments in BF3.

WEATHER EFFECTS !!!11!!

I swear i'll buy MW3 if there are no weather maps.

I have spammed demize99 about this, but he never answers, so we might not be in luck. However he did confirm night maps.

Raide

Nostalgia~4ever said:
you're in luck, because Karl-Magnus Troedsson revealed at gamescom that there are more urban environments in BF3.

Perfect!

I love the idea of full urban warfare, with vehicles roaming the streets, people setting up ambushes and people parachuting off buildings. :D

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nostalgia~4ever said:

I have spammed demize99 about this, but he never answers, so we might not be in luck. However he did confirm night maps.

*pre-orders MW3*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom