• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spl1nter

Not getting my hopes up. you dont launch anything multiplayer on a friday.However, they are working 7 days a week. Still a sunday full release or 48 hour early access open seems very odd as well.

zomaha said:
Here's what a board admin at battlefield3online.com says about the Battlelog and the beta:

wtf it was never announced to be on september 11. It was just 9/11, as in the 9th month in 2011 and 1up wrote an article about it.

There ARE a bunch of articles from E3 that specifically mention Sept 11th. I've was wondering why everyone here has been ignoring that and assumed I just missed news updates that might have negated or retracted that date.

Megasoum

Banned
zomaha said:
Here's what a board admin at battlefield3online.com says about the Battlelog and the beta:

Sigh, another one who can't read dates properly. They announced the beta for 9/11. 9/11 means September 2011 and not September 11th...

Also zh1nt0 tweeted that this morning:
http://twitter.com/zh1nt0/status/111756054743891969

So Mr writer for battlefield3online. Looks like I need to send you someone that can help you read

zomaha said:

And then zh1nt0 responded:

So Mr writer for battlefield3online. Looks like I need to send you someone that can help you read

I registered on that board specifically to call the Sept 11, 2011 date out. I still think you'd have to be an idiot to release a military shooter with destruction on September 11 weekend. I'll donate $50 to the GAF dedi server if the beta comes out this weekend.

MrCompletely said:
There ARE a bunch of articles from E3 that specifically mention Sept 11th. I've was wondering why everyone here has been ignoring that and assumed I just missed news updates that might have negated or retracted that date.

Didn't they just say "9/11", not September 11th? 9/11=September 2011.

MrCompletely said:

and that was reported false long ago.

Deegon

Banned
Yeeaah...they're not going to release a beta during the weekend, certainly not a sunday. The storm of all players which most is off from work, would crash and burn their servers.

Menelaus

Banned
MrCompletely said:
Don't get lost in the semantics, the terms 'alpha' and 'beta' as exposed to consumers is not the same as what a developer considers alpha or beta. It's all marketing speak. The game releases in ~6 weeks, save for some fine tuning and balancing, it's done.
And don't forget, it will be going gold in 2-3 weeks. Hell, it might go gold before the stinking beta drops.

CyReN

Deegon said:
Yeeaah...they're not going to release a beta during the weekend, certainly not a sunday. The storm of all players which most is off from work, would crash and burn their servers.

Early Gears of War 3 beta opened on a Friday so who knows.

grkazan12

Hey guys I got two quick questions so is it safe to say that origin is the best way to pre order this game? since I'm guessing for the time being it's a no go on steam and will pre ordering guarantee me a spot in the beta?

Most excruciating wait for a game ever... I can't believe how mad I am going in anticipation for this... I mean, there's just not enough to do to make the days of the months go faster.

I don't care whether it's alpha beta, zeta anything I just wanna be playing BF3, the others just don't cut it any more!!!

Being given a taste of the alpha for a short while and then getting it ripped away is like a heroin dealer giving away free samples of their product to get people addicted, then holding back on supply for two months.

Gat dang I can't take it any more, I want to sleep for two months solid.

Menelaus said:
The beta is open to all, preordering on origin only nets you 48 extra hours of access.
So what was the point of buying medal of honor now? Has the early beta access for that game just been forgotten now?

Yaska

ColonialRaptor said:
So what was the point of buying medal of honor now? Has the early beta access for that game just been forgotten now?
early access is for MOH and origin preorders.

moai

maybe a silly question, but how do you get access through mho on xbox, through the disk? how are they going to do it?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Nothing is filling this lack of BF3 void.

Got Borderlands on discount, couldn't care less, tried getting into Madden 12, got bored after two nights, even got into Rift with 5 of my buddies and that hasn't sped things up.

I need help.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nostalgia~4ever said:
the game was recently in alpha and you expect a switch to beta this fast? the reason it isnt out it because it is not finished. People should stop asking for it, because it will come out when it is done.

Obviously.
They were not true software betas and alphas. Those are typically buggy as fuck.

KaiserBecks

ColonialRaptor said:
Most excruciating wait for a game ever... I can't believe how mad I am going in anticipation for this... I mean, there's just not enough to do to make the days of the months go faster.

Pre-order Red Orchestra 2 and play the beta until the game is being released.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if they released the BF3 beta today, but I'm sick of being jerked around by various Twitter accounts. They clearly have a plan for this and it clearly doesn't involve me playing the beta anytime soon. I'm having an unexpected blast with Red Orchestra 2 right now, so why would I focus on something that mostly consists of wishful thinking?

Kibbles

mr_nothin said:
IIRC, if you pre-order on origin then you have access to the beta on other platforms too. Either Demize or zh1nt0 said it.

EDIT: And by that I meant early access.
And then we may cancel and get refund?

KaiserBecks said:
Pre-order Red Orchestra 2 and play the beta until the game is being released.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if they released the BF3 beta today, but I'm sick of being jerked around by various Twitter accounts. They clearly have a plan for this and it clearly doesn't involve me playing the beta anytime soon. I'm having an unexpected blast with Red Orchestra 2 right now, so why would I focus on something that mostly consists of wishful thinking?

Have they started cracking down on those hacks?

KaiserBecks

Mr. Snrub said:
Have they started cracking down on those hacks?

I think so (and I haven't met a cheater for a week). They've worked on a lot of stuff during the last couple of days. It's Tripwire, so I really wouldn't worry about the game not being supported. And like I said, I'm having a blast. It's a great game.

Animator

Sethos said:
I must admit, I will barely be touching the Beta - RO2 is that good.

I am the biggest Bf3 fanboy in the world and I agree with this man. I bought Ro2 so I have something to play till the bf3 beta starts. Now I don't even care if they cancel bf3 beta entirely.

th3dude

Animator said:
I am the biggest Bf3 fanboy in the world and I agree with this man. I bought Ro2 so I have something to play till the bf3 beta starts. Now I don't even care if they cancel bf3 beta entirely.

Does the RO2 beta go until release?

Sethos

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Eh, disagree. I like both RO2 and BF3, but they're completely different. RO2 doesn't satisfy a lot of things I play BF for.

There's tons of teamwork, vehicles and intense moments.

I'd say it's pretty much a full house if people have the patience for tactical shooters.

Sethos said:
There's tons of teamwork, vehicles and intense moments.

I'd say it's pretty much a full house if people have the patience for tactical shooters.

Can't disagree with any of that, I guess it's just the feel is different. I play BF to satisfy this sort of bombastic, massive warfare gameplay. I play RO2 when I want to be scared shitless by war.

Have any RO2 GAF meetups been planned? Would like to play this with some good communication.

charsace

Angelus Errare said:
Now you guys can fight with actual information instead of your wikipedia programming knowledge!

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/publications/dr_kz2_rsx_dev07.pdf
That's the paper I read. Him saying that the 360 can't do deferred shading is wrong. There are xna papers out there on it and I've run it myself through xna.

What's being described in that paper sounds like deferred lighting to me. I don't see where they are taking the scene shading. Everything looks like information to calculate the lighting to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
1.25m pre-orders? It's not gonna beat MW3 but it deserves way more success than it. I will get both at some point but BF3 is my game on the day it comes.

LiquidMetal14 said:
1.25m pre-orders? It's not gonna beat MW3 but it deserves way more success than it. I will get both at some point but BF3 is my game on the day it comes.

I was surprised to hear that it's matched around the same preorder numbers that COD:BO had.

Trailer for a live-action fan-made BF video. Not a fan of the whole prayer thing, and seems odd that they'd approach a dark opening to a building head-on from 100 yards away and THEN stack/clear, but could be fun.

Mr. Snrub said:
I was surprised to hear that it's matched around the same preorder numbers that COD:BO had.

Trailer for a live-action fan-made BF video. Not a fan of the whole prayer thing, and seems odd that they'd approach a dark opening to a building head-on from 100 yards away and THEN stack/clear, but could be fun.

I saw that on his twitter. The whole prayer thing is incredibly pretentious and, whilst I am no expert myself, it seemed a highly inaccurate depiction of squad movement.

Bungieware said:
I saw that on his twitter. The whole prayer thing is incredibly pretentious and, whilst I am no expert myself, it seemed a highly inaccurate depiction of squad movement.

Yeah, same sorta vibes I got. Still, curious to see how it turns out.

woober

So I finally preordered BF3 from Origin after receiving a birthday 25% off code...

but I still want to get my hands on that steel book version of the game. Anyone know which stores have them? I'm assuming they're only offering them in European retail stores for whatever reason. The US never seems to get steel books.

TheJerit

woober said:
So I finally preordered BF3 from Origin after receiving a birthday 25% off code...

but I still want to get my hands on that steel book version of the game. Anyone know which stores have them? I'm assuming they're only offering them in European retail stores for whatever reason. The US never seems to get steel books.

you too huh? i was waiting for my bday email as well. i know way back in the thread someone mentioned that they would find out if the origin took out the money now or once the game released. hate to be that guy, but do they? i want to use a certain account with origin and i would rather wait for a bit before i put a bunch of money in that account. if they just check to see if you have the amount, then i can do that....

if not then oh well, i'll just order it with a different account i suppose.

edit: forgive my derpness, i found it on their website. for anyone else (just in case it wasn't covered), it doesn't charge you for the amount until release or when pre-load is available (which is typically only a few days before release anyway).

1-D_FTW

punkypine said:
wait, birthday money? i shoudl have lied about my birthday? damn it can i change it?

They're transferable. You can create a dummy account, get the e-mail, and use it on your real account if you wanted.

1-D_FTW

Nucks said:
Yea i never got a birthday discount code, and my bday was 2 weeks ago. :(

Keep in mind, you must check the box that let's EA send you promotions, updates, etc. You must verify your e-mail manually

From the Slickdeals Wiki. Did you do both of those things?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No idea if this is the official BF3 thread, but I was listening to the Gamespot podcast and some guy from DICE said that they
left civilians out of the game because they were scared of players killing them?

That's pretty cowardly, considering "No Russian" in MW2. Then again, single player is no reason to play a BF game I guess.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Am I the only one thinking that this last page or so should be taken to the RO2 vs BF3 garbage thread?

;)

You see how far we've fallen. Must...have...beta...

firehawk12 said:
No idea if this is the official BF3 thread, but I was listening to the Gamespot podcast and some guy from DICE said that they
left civilians out of the game because they were scared of players killing them?

That's pretty cowardly, considering "No Russian" in MW2. Then again, single player is no reason to play a BF game I guess.

Old by a week or so, there was a thread on it.

And "No Russian" was a joke, IMO. BS attempt at drama via shock value. Added nothing to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom