• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

LordCanti said:
Their "full price" is outrageous and quite frankly a little bit pie in the sky. I have a feeling that a day after the retail game comes out, they will revert to the $100 price everyone else is charging (down from $190 right now, with a 50% off for life pre-order bonus).

yeah, the high price point and 50% savings thing do seem to be just an incentive to preorder.

the choice between id3 and multiplay probably wont have much of a difference.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
Well, crud. Bank verification takes a few days. Will have to wait a bit for the donations to start.

D'oh!

Oh well, there's really no rush. The earliest pre-order bonus deadline (i3d's I think) is mid-September.

Menelaus

Banned
Alright, Canti and Snrub, come up with a donation minimum that will give us a guaranteed slot on the server.

My wallet is ready.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Alright, Canti and Snrub, come up with a donation minimum that will give us a guaranteed slot on the server.

My wallet is ready.

I would imagine that minimum donations will probably come into play during month 2. Right now, we really just need to pick a location (East Coast US is looking more likely by the day) and open up donations to see how much we can collect. During the first month, every donor should have a reserved slot (not to say that people should be donating a dollar to get on the list..lol) and after that, we'll take a look at how many people donated, and probably divide that by the $100 we need to find a monthly minimum donation.

It could be a few days until we can take donations. Snrub's bank account is currently being verified with Paypal I think. The website is only a few modifications from being done though.

Question for people that have pledged to donate: If we pick a server on the East Coast of the US, will you still donate? That is the location of the most members right now on the list, and we need to know if our Euro donors are still on board. If you donate and play the first month and then bail because your pings are shit, no one will blame you. The East Coast of the US is pretty much all we can do in terms of making pings as low as they can possibly be to Europe.

LordCanti said:
Question for people that have pledged to donate: If we pick a server on the East Coast of the US, will you still donate?

I will, and then I'll see how much I enjoy playing on it and decide if I want to keep donating.

I will donate for first month on East Coast server, but reserve the right to pull out if ping isn't good enough in UK.

$8 is the max I'd donate, which is £5. That would be my maximum every month - however I'm hoping we can get it lower than that.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I will donate for first month on East Coast server, but reserve the right to pull out if ping isn't good enough in UK.

$8 is the max I'd donate, which is £5. That would be my maximum every month - however I'm hoping we can get it lower than that.
Ditto

I'm thinking of pledging, I'm not completely sure yet. I'll know by the end of tomorrow. (I'm hesitant to commit to something like this without a good computer, which I'm ordering tomorrow)

anyway, my max donation is around 8 to 10 dollars (though I'd rather do 5 or 6). also, I'm on the east coast so... i definitely support an east coast server ;)

Menelaus

Banned
I definitely want to help get the server off of the ground. I'm thinking I'll cover somewhere around 1/3rd the first month (assuming we use ~100 dollar server) and we'll see where the ping lands from there. If I could get some sort of Founding Father status that'd be sweet =P

Monthly, I'd hope we could get it under 10.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
I definitely want to help get the server off of the ground. I'm thinking I'll cover somewhere around 1/3rd the first month (assuming we use ~100 dollar server) and we'll see where the ping lands from there. If I could get some sort of Founding Father status that'd be sweet =P

Monthly, I'd hope we could get it under 10.

Bless you good sir ;_;

LordCanti

Ok so far (pledged to the first month):

Foliorum Viridum: $8
Menelaus: Approx $33.3
Orgun: $8
LordCanti: $10
Giriath_89: $8
Mr. Snrub: $10
Souljiro: $10
abuC: $10
gillFTR: $20
scogoth: $30
Kyaw: $10

Keep the pledges coming guys (I feel like Jerry Lewis). Any overages will obviously go to month two's rent. We'll need every donor we can get to make this work, so don't let the high donations so far for month one fool you.

I'm planning on giving $10 for first month, and $5 a month after, depending on how well we're getting contributions from everyone else.

LordCanti

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm planning on giving $10 for first month, and $5 a month after, depending on how well we're getting contributions from everyone else.

Agreed. We either get it down around $5 a head going forward, or it's just not going to work out (short of someone spending an unfair amount to keep it going, and that someone wouldn't be me).

It's looking like the first month is absolutely going to happen, assuming all the pledges turn into actual donations when you get that paypal account setup.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Do these servers come with any sort of contractual obligations?

We'd be paying month to month, and we could stop renting at any time. If we had a lot more money to work with, there are discounts at some places for paying six months rent in advance, but obviously there is no way we're going to raise $600 lol.

Souljiro

LordCanti said:
We'd be paying month to month, and we could stop renting at any time. If we had a lot more money to work with, there are discounts at some places for paying six months rent in advance, but obviously there is no way we're going to raise $600 lol.

$600 oh my is there no other way to get discounts also put me down for $10 a month.

LordCanti

Souljiro said:
$600 oh my is there no other way to get discounts also put me down for $10 a month.

The only way to get discounts is really to pay up front. Some places may offer a contract where we'd pay monthly (for a pre-determined amount of months) in exchange for a discount, but doing so would mean that Mr. Snrub would be on the hook if donations stopped coming in (and I don't think Mr. Snrub would like that very much :p).

Souljiro

Your right a contract would be definitely bad if the donations stop coming. I see we are almost close to the first month cost let's see if we can keep it going each month hopefully!

Updated OP with locations/names.

LordCanti said:
The only way to get discounts is really to pay up front. Some places may offer a contract where we'd pay monthly (for a pre-determined amount of months) in exchange for a discount, but doing so would mean that Mr. Snrub would be on the hook if donations stopped coming in (and I don't think Mr. Snrub would like that very much :p).

lol.gif

No, I would not enjoy that, unless we got the money up front, of course.

gillFTR

20 $ for me, I can do that monthly to bump other peoples costs down.(Got a good job right now and I haven't been purchasing any games for my PS3/360)

scogoth

scogoth | scogoth | NA-East

Will pledge $30 for first month for a NA-East 64 player server and 10-20 thereafter depending on how much is needed. Lets get this ball rolling

Kyaw

Same as Folirium except i will make it off as a nice rounded $10.

Don't really have any income as i'm 16.

LordCanti

Ok so far (pledged to the first month):

Foliorum Viridum: $10
Menelaus: Approx $33.3
Orgun: $8
LordCanti: $10
Giriath_89: $10
Mr. Snrub: $10
Souljiro: $10
abuC: $10
gillFTR: $20
scogoth: $30
Kyaw: $10
ColeTheMole: $10
ChiefKief: $20
Bru: $20

The first and second months are paid for, if all of these pledges turn into actual donations.

Take my 10$ for first month. Lets see how its going later on, but ~5$ monthly is not an issue.

Edit. yeah i can donate that to next month np

That's a nice list already.

I think we'll get a lot more post-BETA and when we actually have the server up, too. The promise of a guaranteed slot is enough to justify my contribution and I'm sure others will be the same when they start playing!

Kyaw

Menelaus said:
Go mow someone's yard. Boom, that's a third of a month paid for.
I live in a flat now and people don't usually require these services here. Plus i get monthly allowance of £50.

Menelaus

Banned
Should basically say we have 64 guaranteed slots available. Keep a tally of top donors over time, and those folks get the slots. Encourages more donation (and bigger donations from new-comers), and everyone wins!

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Should basically say we have 64 guaranteed slots available. Keep a tally of top donors over time, and those folks get the slots. Encourages more donation (and bigger donations from new-comers), and everyone wins!

Reserved slots are definitely planned going forward. We're going to keep track of donors on a website as well (with twitter updates to let people know the server status). All we're really waiting on at this point is Paypal, which needs to verify Snrub's bank account.

Kyaw said:
Make it so all the donors get a reserved slot on the server and not based on donation amount.
Yep, agreed. If you're paying to maintain the server you deserve a guaranteed slot. It's not fair otherwise.

If we get to you donate x per month to qualify for it then it gets a bit tricky.

If we ever get to the point where 64 people are donating and there's no more slots, we just stop letting new people donate (unless they don't care about a slot, I guess). Then if someone drops out they lose their slot and a new person can come in. Not that it's likely for us to get 64 people donating, but yeah.

That's how I'd do it.

Also, you can bump mine up to $10/month for now to make it easier. It's not that much more than a fiver still with conversion.

Menelaus

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yep, agreed. If you're paying to maintain the server you deserve a guaranteed slot. It's not fair otherwise.
Is a one time donation of $100 less than a guy's who donates for 4-5 months at $10 a month?

Not that I really care, it's just both of your wordings were kind of confusing.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If we ever get to the point where 64 people are donating and there's no more slots, we just stop letting new people donate (unless they don't care about a slot, I guess). Then if someone drops out they lose their slot and a new person can come in. Not that it's likely for us to get 64 people donating, but yeah.

just make new people support a second server... lol

i don't think we'll ever get to the point where 64 people are donating.

EDIT: although, we do currently have 23 red names. that is quite more than I expected this early.

Well I'd say both deserve a slot. If you're putting money towards it you deserve a slot, period.

It'll just depend on how we decide we want to do it. If it were up to me I'd pay 12 months up front, but there was a few valid points raised why that might not be such a good idea on the last page.

In the perfect world we'll get enough people that we can all pay a low, equal monthly sum. If we can get enough people on board that we can all pay $5/month then nobody needs to worry about paying more than that, even if they can afford it.

LordCanti said:
Let's not worry about it until we're nearer to 64 donors :p
At the moment we have enough for two months, though, which includes a donation from me that would cover only one month. I'd be getting one month free because some people are doing bigger donations.

It is a bit confusing how it will work. Our goal should be to get to a number where we can all pay equal amounts every month to prevent confusion etc.

Eg: once it gets to 20 people we automatically go down to $5/month.

Menelaus

Banned
That's fine in a perfect world.

But then 5 donors have Real World Shit™ come up and you're $20 short when the bill comes due.

Basically, the bill-payer has to accept the fact that there could very well come a month where no one pays. And he has to be ok with that, or the system breaks down.

Can't wait for non-donor gaffers to rage when they get booted by donor gaffers showing up to play
grin.gif

Menelaus said:

But then 5 donors have Real World Shit™ come up and you're $20 short when the bill comes due.

Basically, the bill-payer has to accept the fact that there could very well come a month where no one pays. And he has to be ok with that, or the system breaks down.

I could eat $100 for a single month, though I doubt it would come to that. Any danger of that happening multiple times and I'm out.

Menelaus said:

Oh of course.

But if it was $5/month for everyone and one month 3/4 people didn't pay, then we just take away their reserve slot and cough up the extra money ourselves somehow. It'd only be a few extra dollars spread out over a few people. More than that? Well, it gets troublesome.

I just think this will work best if we get enough people that, for the most part, we're all paying equal amounts.

I personally guarantee I will pay every month, for what my word is worth. Maybe we should also get a list of people who know they have the income and dedication to do that and see who isn't so sure.

Top Bottom