• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Kinect settings revealed

Demon Ice

Banned
How does headtracking work? If I look to the left, it's cool if my dude turns to the left too but now I'm not looking at my TV anymore.

Voice commands to make voice commands? Why not just use your mic?

because it can be directly interpreted by the game to do extra actions (like someone mentioned, maybe an icon appears above your head or whatever) as opposed to just hoping someone happened to hear you over regular voice chat

-Deimos

How does headtracking work? If I look to the left, it's cool if my dude turns to the left too but now I'm not looking at my TV anymore.

Might be for jets/helicopters.

because it can be directly interpreted by the game to do extra actions (like someone mentioned, maybe an icon appears above your head or whatever) as opposed to just hoping someone happened to hear you over regular voice chat

Makes sense.

DeltaJay

Banned
This photo looks familiar.

For those interested, check here for my full impressions.

I didn't actually get a chance to try these out, but they look pretty interesting.

Yup. Full credit to you and very good impression. Didn't actually grab the picture from GAF. They're already around the internet.

Bsigg12

If bobbing your head when you come around a corner and see someone actually registers as something, that would be awesome. Far too many times have I been playing a shooter to move my head in real life just to get killed in the game.

Nori Chan

Voice commands to make voice commands? Why not just use your mic?

Edit: ooh headtracking.
In the beta if you held down a button it would bring up prompts of what to say like: "Ammo pls" or "Thanks". Instead of holding down the button and choosing the prompt (which took forever) you could just say it. I really like that feature.

Plus you can't communicate with people outside of your squad. So if you're squad is full of recons (lol) and no support guy except for the random, you could just say "Ammo pls" and then the icon indicating ammo would show up on that persons mini map and hopefully he'll give you ammo lol

I really like this feature.

DeltaJay

Banned

I'm hoping they were smart with headtracking. Basically, in-game the head tracking would be exaggerated. If I turned my head 45 degrees to the side, that could equate to 180 degrees in game. So you'll still be able to keep your eyes on the screen the whole time but still get 360 degree head tracking fidelity. Only way I see it working correctly.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does yelling medic just trigger the game to play the medic soundbit? or does it broadcast your actual yell to the players
If its going to broadcast your voice then all you need is a mic. I assume it plays a sound bit

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm hoping they were smart with headtracking. Basically, in-game the head tracking would be exaggerated. If I turned my head 45 degrees to the side, that could equate to 180 degrees in game. So you'll still be able to keep your eyes on the screen the whole time but still get 360 degree head tracking fidelity. Only way I see it working correctly.

Yeah if they implement it well I could see it being useful for vehicles. They'd have to find the middle ground between making it too sensitive and not sensitive enough though.

Liha

Banned
The national language in austria is german but voice commands won't work in austria, good job MS...

FeiRR

Banned
Plus you can't communicate with people outside of your squad.
Of course you can (well, on PS3 at least), just switch voice chat to team and you can talk to 11 other people.

If only this feature would make those freaking supports drop ammo boxes more, I'd be one happy engineer.

Nafai1123

Banned
I like the idea of voice commands triggering the in-game voice commands. I never use them because it's too much work looking through the menu for the right one.

jaypah

I'd seriously be too embarrassed to use this Kinect stuff around my friends or family.

Imagine my wife walking past me and seeing me leaning from side to side standing in the middle of the room holding a controller screaming for a MEDIC or MORE AMMO.

Weird. My wife would be asking for her turn. I did marry a gamer though.

I might be missing something here but... If I turn headtracking on and look to the right, how exactly am I supposed to see my tv to see what's to my right?

Nori Chan

Of course you can (well, on PS3 at least), just switch voice chat to team and you can talk to 11 other people.

If only this feature would make those freaking supports drop ammo boxes more, I'd be one happy engineer.
Really? I guess I never thought to do that.

Yeah if they implement it well I could see it being useful for vehicles. They'd have to find the middle ground between making it too sensitive and not sensitive enough though.

minor movements could be doing too much resulting in difficulty with fine aiming. a toggle button might fix that

Woorloog

Banned
I might be missing something here but... If I turn headtracking on and look to the right, how exactly am I supposed to see my tv to see what's to my right?

You turn your head very slightly so that the screen turns much more (depending on the sensitivity). Useful for checking around in a jet cockpit i think.

You turn your head very slightly so that the screen turns much more (depending on the sensitivity). Useful for checking around in a jet cockpit i think.

So you'd have to focus on not moving your head at all or your camera is gonna be going all over the place ha

won't you have the problem of the camera bouncing around too much? my head doesn't really sit stationary while I play games.

AlexBasch

No "this shit will make the game run worse because it requires processing from the Xbox" claims?

Well shit, I'm surprised, yelling random shit at your TV during Mass Effect 3 was fun. I mean it.

Voice commands are neat but only for people who don't want to talk online
That's correct, I'm loving it already.

Gestault

Actually assault class IS a medic. Anyway, this is done by pressing SELECT (it's context sensitive) in BF3 and R2 with a selection of options in BF4. Voice commands are neat but only for people who don't want to talk online. If you talk to people, it's quite pointless.

Ok, my mistake. The point though was that if you needed healing, when you said "medic," it could flag you with a marker (via the voice command) in addition to coming through verbally in chat. I disagree that its pointless, assuming its implemented well.

Sobriquet

I'd seriously be too embarrassed to use this Kinect stuff around my friends or family.

Imagine my wife walking past me and seeing me leaning from side to side standing in the middle of the room holding a controller screaming for a MEDIC or MORE AMMO.

Why would you stand? Or scream? Just sit on the couch and speak. I mean, you're already talking to your team, right?

Woorloog

Banned
So you'd have to focus on not moving your head at all or your camera is gonna be going all over the place ha

won't you have the problem of the camera bouncing around too much? my head doesn't really sit stationary while I play games.

Well, it naturally depends on the sensitivity... Gotta find the right balance.
EDIT i figure usefulness of this also depends on the type of player you're, if you're the sort who moves constantly... well...

zebwinz

My wife thought it was hot back on OG Xbox when I was shouting "Breach and clear" in Rainbow Six :)

JaggedSac

No "this shit will make the game run worse because it requires processing from the Xbox" claims?

Well shit, I'm surprised, yelling random shit at your TV during Mass Effect 3 was fun. I mean it.

That's correct, I'm loving it already.

This time around, the Bone is always processing Kinect input regardless of if devs use it.

Kydd BlaZe

Whoa now...there's head tracking, leaning, and voice commands through Kinect? Was all set to get BF4 on PS4...now I may have to reconsider. I really want to try this stuff out.

majik13

how does head tracking work with the TV being in a stationary position?

most likely, like track IR, It wont be 1:1 meaning you can probably turn your head just a bit, and it will translate to a much bigger virtual head turn in game. So you will still be able to keep your eyes on the screen while initiating full head tracking.

It is basically the same thing as doing small moves with your mouse and it translating to larger moves on screen. though i doubt it will work that well, with Kinect 1.0

though this looks really cool, and sounds useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9wXx3vMy_AQ#t=135

edit: i am now seeing this is for Xbone and not 360. Are these options even in the 360 version?

sangreal

What about PS Camera? Does it enable same/similar functions? Aside from voice commands, which shouldn't require anything special as the DS4 has a microphone...

The DS4 doesn't have a microphone, it has a speaker. You need to attach a headset with a microphone

Top Bottom