• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

I bought this game because of some friends last year, but only played for like 3 weeks. Is the community still strong or should I go with Hardline? I got the premium ps4 version. I'm mostly asking since I have to redownload the game since it was a digital purchase.

lordxar

I bought this game because of some friends last year, but only played for like 3 weeks. Is the community still strong or should I go with Hardline? I got the premium ps4 version. I'm mostly asking since I have to redownload the game since it was a digital purchase.

Looks like both are doing fine but you already own BF4...

Donos

PS4 has a lot of activity.

Keasar

The netcode is definitely better than it was before, but it is still worse than BF3. In BF3 during my recent play I noticed that I actually got hit with several bullets when I was supposed to be, I had time to react. In BF4 I still get one single indication of being hit and instantly go down from 100 in health, not from a sniper rifle, but from an automatic one, no indicated headshot.

I will need some serious evidence that the TTK is longer or that the netcode isn't still crap because I am trying BF4 right now and I die way, way faster in a firefight when getting hit than in BF3.

And I definitely agree that things got improved in BF4 with more and better balanced weapons, more content, better designed maps (though the damnable Metro made a comeback and got a partner, Locker) etc. but I still think I had way more fun with being infantry in BF3 than BF4. Like I said earlier, I spend my time confused as fuck on what is going on when playing BF4 when in BF3 I suddenly have almost complete clarity of what is going on, I consider that better design. And if we are going by anecdotes, then so far all my friends who I played Battlefield with have completely abandoned Battlefield 4 cause they consider it too chaotic to have fun in, something they didn't complain about in BF3 (other than on the worst designed maps). I am the only one left and I am loosing all my hope and love I had in DICE as a studio since I first played the BF1942 demo.

lordxar

The netcode is definitely better than it was before, but it is still worse than BF3. In BF3 during my recent play I noticed that I actually got hit with several bullets when I was supposed to be, I had time to react. In BF4 I still get one single indication of being hit and instantly go down from 100 in health, not from a sniper rifle, but from an automatic one, no indicated headshot.

I will need some serious evidence that the TTK is longer or that the netcode isn't still crap because I am trying BF4 right now and I day way, way faster in a firefight when getting hit than in BF3.

And I definitely agree that things got improved in BF4 with more and better balanced weapons, more content, better designed maps (though the damnable Metro made a comeback and got a partner, Locker) etc. but I still think I had way more fun with being infantry in BF3 than BF4. Like I said earlier, I spend my time confused as fuck on what is going on when playing BF4 when in BF3 I suddenly have almost complete clarity of what is going on, I consider that better design.

Whatever it is, BF4 has some bad shit that occurs on hit detection and just general enemy detection.

Like this for example:

https://youtu.be/vLfkfnSMbMI

I've noticed quite a few times where an enemy magically kills me without seeing them. Remembered to record that one.

Was getting rear hit markers when shot from the front yesterday. I just think BF4's code is shit compared to BF3 which still feels great today. No weirdness and no bullshit...well no more than usual. Hardline feels better but I don't think its still like BF3 was.

Edit: TTK may be the same but with the wonky behavior of the game it always feels off.

Kabuto

Another big reason for bad hit detection, on PC at least, is that people from foreign countries play on NA servers. Players with 100+ ping usually instakill me if they use high ROF guns.

Keasar

I may have a faulty memory but isn't smoke supposed to block all types of vision through it? Like enemy icons and so forth?

Also, they really need to buff the flashbangs to be actually useful, might as well not bother and just chuck a frag inside instead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Another big reason for bad hit detection, on PC at least, is that people from foreign countries play on NA servers. Players with 100+ ping usually instakill me if they use high ROF guns.

Anything over 180 is unplayable. Anything in the 150-175 range will not lag the server. But to be fair: The "ping" shown by the scoreboard is a MEDIAN score and not the actual live ping. Your 75 "ping" is actually "150" ping in live. You can see this in the netgraph (not sure if consoles got this) that was added in the Winter Patch from CTE via the console command.

Jharp

Alright guys, what the hell am I doing wrong here when it comes to finding servers?

I just got the PC Premium version a few weeks ago, moving up from the PS4 version. How come whenever I search for servers, I'm finding next to nothing? Searching the most popular gametypes (Conquest Large and Rush mostly, but also Domination) with no other filters active is returning two-three active servers and a fuck ton of empty ones. One will be full or near full, the next will be half full, and the next will have 5-10 people in it.

What the fuck is this?

I know I'm doing something wrong here, because according to BF4 stats, there's 7-8k people playing, and I'm seeing maybe a couple hundred tops on the battlelog server browser.

Oh, and when trying to find a conquest large game, the server browser only returned a well populated Metro 24/7 (ugh) server, that didn't allow explosives, and a half full Caspian Border 24/7 server. Whoop-dee-fucking-do.

The PS4 version was more active and had more variety than Battlelog would lead one to believe.

Oh, and no one plays the DLC maps, apparently?

No matter how good the ping, the servers still blow. A third of my hits actually seem to register and it's utterly annoying.

This game has dedicated servers and it is just as bad as Call of Duty P2P.

VariantX

I don't think its the servers so much as I think its the hit detection in BF4 still being off. Whatever they did in BF3, it's clear they stopped doing it in BF4 because if you put your crosshairs on something in BF3, you're going to hit it if your'e firing from that weapons optimal range. I cannot be sure I'm hitting my targets in BF4 even if I'm playing as carefully as possible so I end up shooting more than I should to make absolutely sure my target goes down. On the upside, the netcode updates made shotguns perform the way they should now.

RiverBed

Banned
Anybody else gets stuck in the loading a match screen (PS4, here)? I tried everything: closing and restarting the game, rebooting my console, playing another game then returning to BF4, nothing works. I see the servers and matches, but when I try to get into one it starts loading the map then just gets stuck there. Sometimes it works when I try a few hours later or the next day, but when it happens again, no matter what I do I can't play a match.

Cheers.

Jharp

Like, BF4 stats says 10k+ playing the game on PC currently, but on Battlelog, filtering both Conquest and Conquest Large servers and counting all the players I see, there's a total of 351.

10,000 playing
351 in Conquest (according to Battlelog)

One or both of these numbers has to be incorrect, OR something is horribly wrong and how the shit do I find populated servers?

jond76

Banned
Like, BF4 stats says 10k+ playing the game on PC currently, but on Battlelog, filtering both Conquest and Conquest Large servers and counting all the players I see, there's a total of 351.

10,000 playing

One or both of these numbers has to be incorrect, OR something is horribly wrong and how the shit do I find populated servers?

I noticed this on Xbox One too. I went to the server browser and there was only 7-10 populated servers. That can't be right.

10,000 playing

The server browser is pretty bad.

What you want to do once you have your filters properly set, is to start scrolling down so that the server browser can actually bring up all the servers that fit the criteria, instead of just adding only as much as can fit on the page when it first loads the results. Once you can't keep scrolling down any longer, that's when you know all the servers that fit the criteria have been loaded. After that just order the servers by players to see the populated servers.

Most of the servers I play on have all the DLC in the rotation/map votes.

What region are you in?

Jharp

What you want to do once you have your filters properly set, is to start scrolling down so that the server browser can actually bring up all the servers that fit the criteria, instead of just adding only as much as can fit on the page when it first loads the results. Once you can't keep scrolling down any longer, that's when you know all the servers that fit the criteria have been loaded. After that just order the servers by players to see the populated servers.

Most of the servers I play on have all the DLC in the rotation/map votes.

What region are you in?

Wow, that actually worked. Scrolling down reveals a ton more active servers. It does sadly confirm, however, that some modes I loved in PS4 just straight aren't played on PC. I filtered by Domination and TDM, and of the active servers that had more than half their playercounts, only one was a domination server.

Then again, it is 11PM, so I'd likely have better luck at a more reasonable hour.

North America, BTW.

TheSeks

They just need to drop Battlelog being the PC server browser and go with in-game a la the console versions. I mean, hell... you can already do that by setting the PC version into a E3 360 demo-mode (unless that was patched) already. There's no excuse to not allow the person that wants to play to boot that up while leaving Battlelog as the stats network or whatever if they want to do stats tracking a la Bungie.net instead of third parties doing it like Battlefields before 3.

Theorry

"DICE is working on a lot of extra content for Battlefield 4. We’re getting night maps, a brand new community map, and some unannounced content as well.

But Battlefield 4 players have been asking whether all this new content will be free, and DICE has now confirmed that, yes, all future BF4 content will be free of charge for all players.

DICE’s David Sirland confirmed that all future content will be free for everyone, that includes both Premium and non-Premium players. The new content includes both the new maps, and the upcoming Gunmaster game mode and new weapons.

The upcoming Spring patch will include the Gunmaster game mode and 4 new weapons, including the AN-94 assault rifle. All of these will be free for everyone.
In the future, the Night Maps update will include night versions of several maps, including Siege of Shanghai, Zavod 311, and Golmud Railway. You can check out some

Finally, this Summer, DICE will release the brand new community map, which recently entered production. In addition to the community map, an unannounced map remake from a former Battlefield game is also in the works and will be released in the future.
Overall, Battlefield 4 players have a lot to look forward to in the upcoming months."

TheSeks

Shame that "best support" won't carry back to Battlefield 3 or earlier titles. Remember when DICE actually patched three+ year old titles?

burnfout

Made a compilation vid of some gameplay:

Personals favs: second clip (switching to gunner seat and back in attack heli), the rogue transmission clip ( two roadkills, 4 infantry, and stationary chopper with rpg), and the last one (how to steal an enemy little bird, and make sure your own LB respawns at the base)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqzzRldXkSI

"DICE is working on a lot of extra content for Battlefield 4. We’re getting night maps, a brand new community map, and some unannounced content as well.

But Battlefield 4 players have been asking whether all this new content will be free, and DICE has now confirmed that, yes, all future BF4 content will be free of charge for all players.

DICE’s David Sirland confirmed that all future content will be free for everyone, that includes both Premium and non-Premium players. The new content includes both the new maps, and the upcoming Gunmaster game mode and new weapons.

The upcoming Spring patch will include the Gunmaster game mode and 4 new weapons, including the AN-94 assault rifle. All of these will be free for everyone.
In the future, the Night Maps update will include night versions of several maps, including Siege of Shanghai, Zavod 311, and Golmud Railway. You can check out some

Finally, this Summer, DICE will release the brand new community map, which recently entered production. In addition to the community map, an unannounced map remake from a former Battlefield game is also in the works and will be released in the future.
Overall, Battlefield 4 players have a lot to look forward to in the upcoming months."

i wonder if they'll still delay the filthy poors version until 2 weeks after premium members get it.

TheSeks

i wonder if they'll still delay the filthy poors version until 2 weeks after premium members get it.

They said future stuff is going to be free for premium AND non-Premium, so I don't see why they'd delay it from non-Premium. Maybe DICE has actually learned that program was misguided, similar to Activision dropping CoD:Elite.

Can GAF recommend me a map pack.

I have China Rising and hardly play this game anymore but lately I've been so bored of my games that I'm looking to get back into it.

Which one is the best? and will it still be fairly easy to find matches? on PS4.

Tubie

Can GAF recommend me a map pack.

I have China Rising and hardly play this game anymore but lately I've been so bored of my games that I'm looking to get back into it.

Which one is the best? and will it still be fairly easy to find matches? on PS4.

Second Assault has a good mix honestly, but most people just play Metro (imagine OP Locker but worse) out of that pack.

If you enjoy vehicle combat a lot then Final Stand is great, but my personal favorite pack is Naval Strike.

VariantX

awesome, hopefully this means battlefront and future releases servers will run at 120Hz.

doubt it'll hit BF4 retail though, especially once the star wars hype machine starts up in September.

I don't see why not. The work they do here in BF4 and BFH CTE will matter for all future frostbite 3 games. Also, CTE exists because of the fact that BF4's release was so poor that the brand itself was badly damaged. This is just part of how they're working to repair as much damage as they can so they can sell BF5 in a year or so.

TheSeks

awesome, hopefully this means battlefront and future releases servers will run at 120Hz.

doubt it'll hit BF4 retail though, especially once the star wars hype machine starts up in September.

It'll be backported to BF4, don't worry.

But the major thing to take away is: IT WON'T BE COMING TO 64-PLAYER SERVERS. MAYBE NOT 32-PLAYER EITHER. 16 or less.

patchday

Was thinking to purchase the premium edition. Its a shame I didnt buy over Chistmas (there was an insane sale)

Was a huge BF 2142 fan.

Kind of curious if anyone has any opinion. I'm buying on PS4. Are the dlc maps still getting played?

Debating Standard vs Premium edition

Was thinking to purchase the premium edition. Its a shame I didnt buy over Chistmas (there was an insane sale)

Was a huge BF 2142 fan.

Kind of curious if anyone has any opinion. I'm buying on PS4. Are the dlc maps still getting played?

Debating Standard vs Premium edition

Standard gets played more than premium.

CQ is the go to mode if you want to play consistently on premium maps.

I'm sure the PS4 community is healthy, as i have no trouble on the bone.

Second Assault has a good mix honestly, but most people just play Metro (imagine OP Locker but worse) out of that pack.

If you enjoy vehicle combat a lot then Final Stand is great, but my personal favorite pack is Naval Strike.

Thanks for the reply.

After watching some gameplay videos it's definitely between Naval Strike and Dragons Teeth.

TheSeks

You mean for the consoles? I thought the current gen consoles already got that with the frequency update along with PC.

Didn't PS360 also get the High-Frequency Update? Just it's not set to "on" by default or whatever?

Tubie

Getting anything over 30hz for BF4 on consoles will probably not happen, since EA would probably need to upgrade the servers for it.

Now for future Frostbite 3 multiplayer games I can see 60hz on high player count modes and 120hz on lower player count modes happen.

Mahonay

Banned
Was just playing a game on Operation Firestorm where both my friend and I were experiencing some invisible player models and constant incorrect death cams. When the game ended I never fully loaded into the post game stats lobby, it then went to the black loading screen and got stuck there. I attempted to force quit the application and this locked up all functionality on the PS4 dashboard. Held down the PS button and started the shut down sequence. Got all the way to where the light is blinking on the console before shutdown, then the black loading screen from BF4 appeared back on the screen, clearly frozen now. I had to unplug the console then boot it back up using a USB cable with my controller.

Fucking what was that.

McHuj

Was just playing a game on Operation Firestorm where both my friend and I were experiencing some invisible player models and constant incorrect death cams. When the game ended I never fully loaded into the post game stats lobby, it then went to the black loading screen and got stuck there. I attempted to force quite the application and this locked up all functionality on the PS4 dashboard. Held down the PS button and started the shut down sequence. Got all the way to where the light is blinking on the console before shutdown, then the black loading screen from BF4 appeared back on the screen, clearly frozen now. I had to unplug the console then boot it back up using a USB cable with my controller.

Fucking what was that.

Holy crap. Had the exact same thing happen tonight playing on final stand. I thought my PS4 was dying when it wouldn't close the app. Never happened before.

TheSeks

2 weeks late and free would still be free.

Sure, but it benefits who? Premium getting it "early" would be such a stupid perk. They might as well make more dogtags if they're going to put something behind the Premium paywall at this point.

Top Bottom