• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline (cops vs. thieves) leaks, tons of info [Officially Announced]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
First screenshot:

heist-video-tutorial-9wox1.jpg

I apologize for the large size, but hopefully it will fit on most monitors.

stryke

Well this certainly snowballed.

Will definitely hold off from preordering this time around. BF4 was too much of a mess to me.

Even the streets can be a.... Battlefield.

Only in the most broadest sense of the word.

Even at their worst, the streets of America are made to seem redolent of the Garden of Eden, compared to places like Fellujah in Iraq of Afghanistan's Koringal Valley.

jelly

Ubisoft must feel bad sitting on Rainbow Six for so long if this takes off.

Not like they were going to go back to the old tactical stuff. BF Rainbow Six it is.

It sounds like this game will be closer to the Bad Company series than the mainline Battlefield games. I always felt that the Bad Company games were more focused on smaller maps and close quarters infantry combat, mostly because it was a spin-off series that was focused on consoles. The mainline Battlefield games have always been a wonderful clusterfuck of really great sounding explosions and all kinds of shit. I really wonder though if this'll be a full priced game or a $20 downloadable title or something like BF1943 (which we never got on PC ;_;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
how long is this in development now ?

Well, Dead Space 3 wrapped up in January 2013, and they'd had jobs up to work on "an exciting franchise" for a while, so I'd say it will be about two years when it launches.

Maybe a bit longer depending on how long they were planning before shipping Dead Space 3.

Ubisoft must feel bad sitting on Rainbow Six for so long if this takes off.

Not like they were going to go back to the old tactical stuff. BF Rainbow Six it is.
I still can't believe that it's been over 6 years since Vegas 2. I thought we'd have a sequel by 2011 since Vegas 2 sold so well. Ah, I guess Ubisoft couldn't figure out how to make it without squad commands (like they did with GRFS), because they have to do that because their new target audience can't be arsed with giving squad commands.

Anyways, I hope this game is a success, but I hope this won't influence any changes for BF5 or other future BF titles that we're accustomed to. What I'm saying is I hope this doesn't make them remove tanks, planes, etc. from future BF titles.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, consider me intrigued. I welcome a new twist on the Battlefield formula, plus any game that lets me shoot cops is cool with me.

soultron

Banned
God damn. I feel bad for the folks at DICE. I don't understand why this wasn't obfuscated... or included in the public updates at all.

I still fail to really see how the setting lends itself to the Battlefield title.

When was the last time we saw anything approaching a "Battlefield" for police? The closest would be that LA bank robbery from back in the 90's,

That affair was just 2 guys. To be fair, two guys brandishing heavy weapons and adorned in heavy ballistic armor, but two guys nonetheless. Hardly what one would term a "Battlefield"

Plus, the nature of the gameplay doesn't really seem commensurate with the battle against crime anyway. Police work is predicated around the concept of locating and apprehending suspects to bring them to trial. Not running around the streets shooting everything that moves. How are they going to explain that little aspect?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I still fail to really see how the setting lends itself to the Battlefield title.

When was the last time we saw anything approaching a "Battlefield" for police? The closest would be that LA bank robbery from back in the 90's,

That affair was just 2 guys. To be fair, two guys brandishing heavy weapons and adorned in heavy ballistic armor, but two guys nonetheless. Hardly what one would term a "Battlefield"

Plus, the nature of the gameplay doesn't really seem commensurate with the battle against crime anyway. Police work is predicated around the concept of locating and apprehending suspects to bring them to trial. Not running around the streets shooting everything that moves. How are they going to explain that little aspect?

1345076052930.jpg

Come on, man. It's not like Battlefield is a realistic depiction of war, is it? Think of it more in terms of a movie, like Heat. I think it'll be a fun way to mix shit up.

yoIo

Neo Member
This sounds great I hope this turns out to be true.

This also has me thinking. With the development cycle of battlefield belonging to visceral this year, that could mean DICE Sweden is working on Star Wars Battlefront for next fall. (Wishful thinking. Battlefield games come out in the fall)

keezy

I'm interested to see what the pace of this game would be. Curious if it would be similar to PAYDAYs gameplay but no AI on the cops "team".

This sounds great I hope this turns out to be true.

This also has me thinking with the development cycle of battlefield belonging to visceral for this year could mean DICE Sweden is working on Star Wars Battlefront for next fall. (Wishful thinking. Battlefield games come out in the fall)
Yeah, Battlefield by DICE will be out then more than likely.

jaypah

Based on job postings, most likely yes.

We likely won't find info on Battlelog though because they likely wouldn't be beta testing it there.

Thanks Niro. With single player I'll probably bite. I don't play much multiplayer but if it has a campaign for me to fumble through over the course of an evening I'll give it a shot.

Donos

Well i like Battlefield for the big scope, open maps and stuff going on but i appreciated that you could play smaller levels just with infantery. CQC DLC on BF3 was suprisingly good.

But i have my doubts that there will be huge maps with a lot of vehicles in it. Most of them would have to be City themed.

FinKL

I know we all like to shit on EA, but they just seem to make things I want to play (Star Wars Battlefront etc.)

This sounds VERY interesting and I can only hope they make it more like SWAT 4, but I know it'll just be a reskin. Definitely nice that they will show it in playable form at E3 to get a better judgement.

Top Bottom