• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline (cops vs. thieves) leaks, tons of info [Officially Announced]

JayEH

Really wonder if EA is trying another CoD counter but this time using the BF name for sales. We'll see. Maybe we can get a good SP since Visceral is making it!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really wonder if EA is trying another CoD counter but this time using the BF name for sales. We'll see. Maybe we can get a good SP since Visceral is making it!

They only expect the spin-off to do 1/3rd of what a mainline game does, so I imagine to an extent they just want Visceral games to sell better while serving the Battlefield audience.

Vidpixel

The concept already seems like it could be incredibly interesting. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint and they can deliver.

shogunduk

so they've completely given up on the original Battlefield formula. it would have been nice to see something resembling BF2 on a modern engine, but it looks like that's up to someone else now.

As a long time Battlefield player since '42, I can't help but feel upset at what EA is turning Battlefield into? I don't have anything particularly against this type of game, it could be great, BUT IT'S NOT BATTLEFIELD! Why are they gonna whore out the BF name this way? Why are they going to try to COD this franchise into an annual thing spread out over different developers. Ugh, I feel disgusted the more I think about it. I'll be skipping this release, as I don't want to encourage EA to shit on BF this way.

I wonder if they will stick to 64 players or decrease it to like 32/24.

If this is going to be a cops v. robbers games I'd have to imagine that the maps will probably be smaller, more compact, urban areas, so it wouldn't surprise me if they lower the player count. And with a lot of those types of maps on Battlefield, they don't always work with 64 players (see: Metro, Locker, Close Quarters maps, Aftermath maps), but we'll see.

If it's 32 vs 32 I'm in. If not I'll just keep playing BF4 and just wait for Battlefront 3. Unless BF5 increases the player count on servers but 4 is already a freaking mess.

so they've completely given up on the original Battlefield formula. it would have been nice to see something resembling BF2 on a modern engine, but it looks like that's up to someone else now.
This is a spinoff by Visceral, not a DICE game. DICE will probably release a more traditional BF after they release Battlefront next year.

Ramirez

I want smaller player counts and maps to match. I know I'm in the minority, but I find Conquest so boring, and pretty much play Rush exclusively. I hope they can deliver on the heist mode.

Using the BF name just gives it a chance to sell more, I see nothing wrong with that. It's still going to be a unique play experience.

AlexBasch

I'm in. After skipping BF4 because they don't work right in the consoles I own and the lack of a good PC, I definitely feel interested about spending a bit on this. I liked the SWAT games back in the game and while they're not remotely related, the whole police vs robbers theme is really attractive to me.

I liked the Close Quarters add-on of BF3 when I got tired of playing Conquest or Rush as a 'side game' and it was a blast. Hopefully Visceral will find a way to make something like this work in a more complex gameplay than holding objectives.

B_Boss

Happy that they flat out confirmed it today instead of sitting on it forever.

The last great BF game. Seriously LOVED the MP of BC2.

I hear you there. Don't even get me and many of us started on its greatness lol. There has been talk if this is the "Police Warfare" game announced sometime ago and I think it probably is especially considering why the Kickstarter closed for the Police Warfare title.

As a long time Battlefield player since '42, I can't help but feel upset at what EA is turning Battlefield into? I don't have anything particularly against this type of game, it could be great, BUT IT'S NOT BATTLEFIELD! Why are they gonna whore out the BF name this way? Why are they going to try to COD this franchise into an annual thing spread out over different developers. Ugh, I feel disgusted the more I think about it. I'll be skipping this release, as I don't want to encourage EA to shit on BF this way.

They use the BF name because loads of people know it by heart.

It it was just HARDLINE, everyone would go WTF? and never give it a second look.

B_Boss

They use the BF name because loads of people know it by heart.

It it was just HARDLINE, everyone would go WTF? and never give it a second look.

Perhaps you're right but....there is also an alternative theory: maybe they'll incorporate elements popular in BF into the game. I mean its a possibility. Its unfortunate your probably right, attaching the BF title to it for financial gain but I guess I'm being optimistic. I would hope that the "BF" aspect of the title will truly aim to incorporate the elements that make Battlefield, Battlefield. In that case, "Battlefield: Perfect Dark" anyone lol? I also wonder if Frostbite 3 will be used, though I imagine it will be being an EA title with the BF title behind it.

I am sort of confused as to what this is. Is it just the Battlefiend engine and gameplay but a much smaller scale with new objective based game modes?

This has me hyped times infinity.

I grew up on this shit. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear are my favorite online gaming moments from my childhood. Rogue Spear had an expansion called Urban Operations with the best multiplayer maps of all time IMO.

My hopes are high this new BF game will bring back those feelings for me.

catmario

So, We will have many FPS/TPS shooters this year's holiday season...

Battlefield: Hardline
Call of duty: Advanced Warfare
Evolved
Far Cry 4
Halo collection (Maybe?)
Sunset Orverdrive
And already released title like Titanfall, Wolfenstein.

Hell yeah, I always love shooters.

Really wished they moved beyond being an FPS for this. If this was a TPS I'd be curious enough to give it a shot. Not that they ever suggested doing a TPS, just my own wishful thinking.

thenexus6

If BF is becoming an annual release now it's going to make signing up for these premium accounts a harder sale thats for sure

If this is going to be a cops v. robbers games I'd have to imagine that the maps will probably be smaller, more compact, urban areas, so it wouldn't surprise me if they lower the player count. And with a lot of those types of maps on Battlefield, they don't always work with 64 players (see: Metro, Locker, Close Quarters maps, Aftermath maps), but we'll see.
I hope it's capped at 32 players. 64 player games on PS4 ran horribly... reduced framerate, choppy gameplay especially during levolution, and rubberbanding.

GladiatoR

Banned
Any Idea what city this takes place in?

Chicago?, New York?...

Brazil?

Don't know about specific cities but it seems to just be US based at the moment.

They've got to include Mexico though. Would make for a more diverse environment and...well, it's kind of fitting.

I hope it's capped at 32 players. 64 player games on PS4 ran horribly... reduced framerate, choppy gameplay especially during levolution, and rubberbanding.
The new servers fixed the majority of the issues. The rubberbanding is rare to non-existent and the framerate drops don't really happen outside of certain cases of levolution. At least that's been my experience post-release of the new servers.

Top Bottom