• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 off to a slow start in Japan [Update: Week 2 sales]

Mory Dunz

Some...interesting posts here on both sides. But I guess not everyone follows Media Create much. Which is fine...but why then would you say something like it's a fact lol?

Few things
1) Wii U's LTD is higher than the 360's was. So that's not an excuse.

2)dunno where this scale bound thing came from. But the xbox sold like 1K (on cell, need to double check) today. And it's what, the 3rd week?

Will the xbox's LTD even be above 40k when scale bound comes out? Lol. Christmas might get it to that illustrious number maybe.

Village

I know. My point was that I think this decision was less "well PG games don't sell so fuck those guys" and more "Fuck everything that isn't Sonic"

Well yeah that was part of their restructuring strategy. Sonic games and proven franchises only. So Total War and Football Manager in the West and Yakuza in Japan.

PG makes good games and continues to get work. So I don't get why people play out these doomsday scenarios for them every time they see sales numbers. (In Japan no less, where they've never been good)

I agree with you.

I also am with you in not understanding doomsday scenario's and being disappointing when their games don't do too well.

-Horizon-

The PS4 sold 23k units that week, so even if we assumed that every single one of those was for the Destiny bundle, it still would've outsold Bayonetta 2.

Japan sure loves them shooter games. Shooters do well in Japan don't they? I'm looking at COD numbers on wikipedia and they're in the hundred of thousands. Is there a game that is more similar to Bayonetta that came out recently?

WiiU-Exclusives-Trailer-screenshot.jpg
Nintendo should have funded a 3DS version.

li bur

Wha, I still can't stomach this. Were japanese gamer perceptions of bayonetta brand or platinum games as a whole really is that low? I mean the studio consist of big names veteran with several multi million seller in their resume. I simply can't accept reasons like "mobage is the real deal in japan" since there are still games that sold reasonably in japan.

What's the deal gaf?

Son Of D

It's a simple reason to figure out really. The audience for these kind of games just isn't on the Wii U. And despite this being exclusive, it's not enough on its own to bring that audience over outside of a minority.

Dahbomb

Itagaki is probably shitting his pants right now. At least Bayonetta 2 looks like a good game... the fuck does Devil's Third have to offer to the Japanese market?

prwxv3

Itagaki is probably shitting his pants right now. At least Bayonetta 2 looks like a good game... the fuck does Devil's Third have to offer to the Japanese market?

To be fair hes probably happy the game is getting money to get finished.

buy or sell: Devil's Third's first week sales < Wonderful 101's first week sales

he just wants his trash ass game to come out

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wha, I still can't stomach this. Were japanese gamer perceptions of bayonetta brand or platinum games as a whole really is that low? I mean the studio consist of big names veteran with several multi million seller in their resume. I simply can't accept reasons like "mobage is the real deal in japan" since there are still games that sold reasonably in japan.

What's the deal gaf?

It's on Wii U and not a Nintendo game.

Effect

Why did Nintendo avoid proper marketing? Didn't the original have billboards and such? Why did they not try?

It all comes back to this. Nintendo constantly thinks they don't have to market their products and it's so damn aggravating. It really needs to be asked why and I wish someone in the game media would finally ask them outright why they don't market their games or only market certain ones.

In the end though it's their money to waste by not doing the basic things a business has to do to make their product sell. Platinum has their money already. This is something people need to understand. So if Nintendo came to them and Sega saying they'd like to have a Bayonetta 3 made I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

The question is does Nintendo make enough off of games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc that they can have games like Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, etc funded or published and not do well but still want them on the system so the system's library is diverse. If that's what is happening here and Nintendo is okay with the games selling slowly over time then why in the end should we give damn about the sales?

Could this be what is happening here? It's something I asked in the main sales thread. Do the sales of these games ultimately not matter but what is important to Nintendo is to have them on the system to expand the library for those that want them while the bulk of the money for the company, that helps cover these games, comes from Nintendo's bigger titles? Especailly since they have no traditional third party support.

I'm still picking up my copy when it releases in North America. This is not going to stop me from doing that. My concern is going to be on enjoying the game. Continuing to be annoyed by Nintendo's actions when it comes to selling their products is something I don't really need in my life. They've been doing this for a years now and haven't changed how they acted. They have the numbers, more then we'll ever see or know, so they must be okay with things as they turn. Without Nintendo in the first place the game wouldn't exist and I'm glad they funded it. That's where I'm going to draw the line going forward. Let them worry about things selling after that. I'll focus on enjoying the games.

Astral Dog

I like it when people pretend sales don't matter. Yes, a game's quality is the most important thing but products need to make money otherwise people stop making them. When Nintendo ponies up the cash to pay for this and it sells no copies and attracts no buyers to the Wii U, the chances of them doing similar things in the future goes down.

So yeah, Bayo 2 is probably going to be fun as shit either way but to pretend sales aren't a thing is shortsighted at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

Lol, what do you want them to say? That they are sad the game didnt do better? That Bayonetta 2 deserved those sales? Badmouthing Nintendo ? The reason this game got made in the first place isnt because it was a big success, they are going to talk about the quality of the game, the good reviews and try to stop people from questioning it based on sales numbers.

Japan sure loves them shooter games. Shooters do well in Japan don't they? I'm looking at COD numbers on wikipedia and they're in the hundred of thousands. Is there a game that is more similar to Bayonetta that came out recently?

None that I can think of. Oneechanbara Z2 is going to be released on the PS4 at the end of October. If that manages to sell more, then it'll be very telling.

New002

Nintendo picked up an abandoned ip and a new confusing action concept, and you're really trying to argue that they put all their hopes into those games being hits. Platinum and Nintendo knew the score from day one, but pursued Bayonetta and W101, because they like creating, and any collaboration between two of the best developers in the world is worth the monetary loss.

Sounds about right.

Eh, nintendo funded the game right? Shouldn't affect platinum, as long as the game is good and got made to begin with that is all that really matters (personally I play games not stock market/sales)

It's a shame more people don't recognise platinum games but what are you going to do? I've seen so many good devs get shuttered while the AAA garbage ones keep on chugging, I'm used to it.

Hey it's still another worthy game added to the wii u library, all the better for me when I buy one.

prwxv3

True. These two games under performing really hurts Nintendo the most as they are bank rolling the games.

I am happy with them funding Bayonetta 2 since its a quality game. So far from what we have seen of Devil's third, it looks worse then vanilla NG3.

Itagaki don't give a shit about shit all breh. He's just happy to have someone giving him beer money.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with you.

I also am with you in not understanding doomsday scenario's and being disappointing when their games don't do too well.

I mean PG has gone from working with Sega exclusively to working directly with first party publishers like Nintendo and Microsoft and working collaboratively with KojiPro

If they're failing, they're failing upwards.

but I mean if dudes want to keep themselves up at night wondering if THIS IS THE END OF THEIR NINTENDO PARTNERSHIP who am I to get in the way of their fun

-Horizon-

None that I can think of. Oneechanbara Z2 is going to be released on the PS4 at the end of October. If that manages to sell more, then it'll be very telling.
Guess we'll see.

Edit: oh now I remember that game now that I googled it, its the one that had the boob booths at TGS lol

TI82

Banned
Anyone else find it weird when people say "Ill do my job and buy it when it comes over here!" and other weird phrases like that? As if we were actively working against Platinum by not buying the game.

Wii U is dead for me, I have no hopes in the Wii U getting anymore "hardcore" games. I don't think Nintendo expected low sales like these. I mean come on Destiny on PS4 sold 3 times as much and its a god damn FPS in Japan, not to mention Wii U has 3 times the install base than PS4. And by hardcore games I mean like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2, and Fatal Frame. From now on all we'll see is Mario, Mario, Mario, and Zelda on the Wii U. I'm just going to stick with 3ds for Nintendo platforms.

Cyd0nia

Banned
That's pretty disappointing to read, but for me, it's definitely the title on Nintendo platforms that I'm most interested in up until November and December. I'm not buying Hyrule Warriors, my money is going on the Bayonetta double pak

I hope other people here are thinking along the same lines. It looks the more creative game, it looks to be better value, and it looks great

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Anyone else find it weird when people say "Ill do my job and buy it when it comes over here!" and other weird phrases like that? As if we were actively working against Platinum by not buying the game.

As fans of the character action genre, it absolutely is our job to support quality new games in the genre.

Its our job to keep the genre alive. Most publishers and investors aren't interested in doing the same.

kick51

Banned
screw you guys, i'm buying Devil's Third day 1. If I bought that piece of shit Ninja Gaiden 3 on day 1 even knowing it was a piece of shit, along with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus day 1 also knowing it was shit and without even liking the original NGS2, then I will at least buy some potentially not piece of shit from Itagaki on day 1.

might buy Bayo 2 day 1, haven't decided yet.

Hystzen

Don't expect this sell well over in West either should be better numbers then Japan but not by much.

Still my love for platinum never dies no matter sales numbers

prag16

Banned
Here is the comparison using Famitsu data (the better tracker):

First week sales (Famitsu data):

Bayonetta (PS3) - 138,430 copies

Bayonetta (360) - 66,211 copies

Bayonetta 1 + 2 (Wii U) - 33,114 copies

It's striking that Bayonetta 2 is underperforming the 360 version of the original Bayonetta, considering how poorly the 360 has performed in Japan.

A little off topic, but why is it the better tracker?

I've seen other people say mediacreate is the superior tracker (though in some cases people might be joking/trolling and saying whichever tracker makes their favorite system/game look better is superior...).

Persona7

Banned
screw you guys, i'm buying Devil's Third day 1. If I bought that piece of shit Ninja Gaiden 3 on day 1 even knowing it was a piece of shit, along with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus day 1 also knowing it was shit and without even liking the original NGS2, then I will at least buy some potentially not piece of shit from Itagaki on day 1.

Me too. I actually really want to play it.

I'm also buying two copies of Bayo 2. One for me and one for a friend.

Astral Dog

It all comes back to this. Nintendo constantly thinks they don't have to market their products and it's so damn aggravating. It really needs to be asked why and I wish someone in the game media would finally ask them outright why they don't market their games or only market certain ones.

In the end though it's their money to waste by not doing the basic things a business has to do to make their product sell. Platinum has their money already. This is something people need to understand. So if Nintendo came to them and Sega saying they'd like to have a Bayonetta 3 made I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

The question is does Nintendo make enough off of games like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc that they can have games like Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, etc not do well but still want them on the system so the system's library is diverse. If that's what is happening here and Nintendo is okay with the games selling slowly over time then why in the end should we give damn about the sales?

Could this be what is happening here? It's something I asked in the main sales thread. Do the sales of these games ultimately not matter but what is important to Nintendo is to have them on the system to expand the library for those that want them while the bulk of the money for the company, that helps cover these games, comes from Nintendo's bigger titles?

This is the thing, Nintendo TRIED to market the game, showing it constantly at all their events, TV ads, Making a Direct for it, a special edition, bundling the original game,etc, i would not say its a "AAA" Marketing campaign, but they didnt send it to die either, there is only so much they can do on Wii U.

Top Bottom