• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pants

Out of curiosity, how many games of this nature would you need to see before you find the system appealing?

While I've just gotten finished defending those upset about the platform choice because they don't want to have to buy a system they otherwise have no interest in, I do think there is some reason on the other side.

Specifically, as you note here, many people chide Nintendo systems for not having games they happen to personally be interested in. They are, as you say, Nintendo systems for Nintendo franchises. However, when these Nintendo systems finally do get games people are interested in, they become upset at that, as well. It doesn't seem like Nintendo can win here, for you.
Exclusives are irrelevant really, the situation wont reverse itself until Nintendo getting third party multiplats is a normal thing. The average "core" gamer cannot at this point buy a Nintendo console safe in the knowledge that all the big hits will be there, when they can you will find much less resistance to purchasing anything Nintendo.

Of course Nintendo has already low-spec'd themselves out of the equation for the upcoming gen, hence the resistance to buying anything they put out.

This post is entirely opinion*

omonimo

Banned
Why are people here so confused about the exclusivity of Bayo2?

Nintendo is publishing it world wide. This means, ONLY Nintendo is getting the game.
If there will ever be something like a "Bayonetta 2 - Ultimate Ass Wiggling Edition" which includes all the DLC and new levels, moves and a side-story, then that MAY be coming to other consoles, if Nintendo isn't fast enough to publish that too. And this too is only happening if that's even possible given we don't know what kind of publishing contract Nintendo has made with Sega and Platinum.
They might be publishing this game only in the vanilla version. They may also have the publishing rights for every possible updated rerelease. We don't know.

For now, just deal with the fact that Bayo2 will NOT come out on Xbox 360/720 or PS3/4. You have no other choice anyway.

For now.

TreIII

Btw, if Nintendo keeps Platinum Games happy, I'm fairly certain they can keep their games exclusive from now on. That's the key point I think, whether as a first party publisher, they can publish the games Platinum makes with a level of success, and continue working with them. If it doesn't work out though, Platinum will no doubt want to hawk their wares on other platforms as well in future.

This is what I think as well. I mean, the likelihood of a smaller dev like P* hopping immediately to the PS4/X720 bandwagon was slim to nil anyway. Not to mention their games don't sell enough to warrant such a jump, unless you want P* to go out of business.

Selling a million is a bomb? Isn't that about what Bayonetta sold?

I know that for insanely bloated megablockbuster games a million is a bomb, but I doubt Bayonetta approached that.

The first Bayonetta did well for what it was, a hardcore style-brawler with lots of japanese craziness.

That said, Bayonetta 2 is obviously not a system seller. The people here on GAF now interested in WiiU because of it are a tiny minority.

So really... the only thing I can say is... it's a shame! Never getting a WiiU, and enjoyed the first game on 360.

demidar

Maybe not a dramatic bomb, but if it did well enough, why didn't Sega want to do it again?

Because Sega are run by fucking idiots. jk
not really

Serious answer: Sega is focusing on 4 pillars and are aiming for full digital releases. Pillars include Total War, Sonic, Yakuza and something else I forget. No room for PGames in this strategy.

LTWheels

Perfect Dark was rereleased as an XBLA game, is that any different?

It was the bond licence that made it difficult for Goldeneye to come out more than anything else. The holders were afraid of pissing Nintendo off. This was back before everyone realised third party games don't sell on the Wii.

Nintendo did a wonderful job of promoting Professor Layton and DQIX in the US (and they did a good job with Monster Hunter Tri for the wii as well). Bayonetta managed to sell 1m copies, so it already has a decent fanbase. If the Wii U isn't a horrible flop, Bayonetta 2 will sell well enough. Bad marketing probably won't be to blame, anyway.

Persona7

Banned
I agree with everything you said

But if Nintendo is publishing there is about 1% chance it will go to another console, see Goldeneye 007, they wouldnt even let 360 get it as a XBLA game. Kinda like how Mass Effect 1 is only on Xbox 360

People said WiiU had no exclusives now they get one and they complain haha

I thought Goldeneye on 360 XBLA was cancelled because Activision wouldn't license it?

Real question:

Those of you who are disappointed that this is on the Wii U, would you rather there not be a game at all instead?

I get why you are pissed (I'd be mad if the newest MGS or something was Xbox only) but I just wonder if you'd be happier if there was not game at all.

Exactly, and that's the issue with Nintendo consoles (aside form handhelds), they're Nintendo machines for Nintendo franchises for Nintendo fans lacking peripheral appeal. This could change any time, but not with a stop gap HD solution like the Wii U.

We're expected to "suck it up" and buy a console that holds only one title we want and will look outdated by the end of 2013? That is a tall order. Bayonetta Wii is icing on the cake for Nintendo fans, but it's a diamond in the desert for others.

You havent seen the whole desert though.

StuBurns

Banned
Because Nintendo is funding the development of the game. It makes perfect sense.
You don't know that though, do you? And you don't know Microsoft didn't fund Ninja Gaiden 2 either, right? More importantly, you don't know if those things make any difference whatsoever to the future of the product.

All these publishing deals seems to vary, there aren't any hard rules from contract to contract. I would say almost certainly it will stay exclusive, because the PS360 will be basically dead a year after this comes out, so I don't think a port makes sense, even if the contract allows for one, but I don't think Nintendo publishing it is why it'll remain exclusive.

Who knows, it could be announced for PS360 tomorrow with a subtitle, and Nintendo only publishing the WiiU version.

I wonder if Nintendo could be moving in to eventually buy Platinum.

Iwata has said they no longer like to buy studios because the talent can simply leave. It's probably just better to work with them and keep them happy.

I imagine what happened with Retro (conflict of corporate culture leading to people publicly leaving the studio) burned them a bit.

Persona7

Banned
As long as the Bayonetta property stays with Sega then that means it has a small chance of coming out on PC at one point in time.

If Nintendo gets it, then that dream is dead.

I'm indifferent to Bayonetta overall, it was a fun romp, but i wasn't super attached to the character, and i'm burnt out on Mad world after completing both stories and mad survival, just waiting for Revengeance and i'll be good for the rest of this gen..honestly, Platinum games is not making money off its hardcore fanbase, i'm not mad, good for them if they actually go somewhere that gets them a profit in some way. I cannot follow them, i have no desire whatsoever to own a wiiu.

The salt in here is amazing. Some of you fucks would rather the game stay dead than appear on a "rival" platform. It's sad, really, being so sentimentally attached to a machine you see this "betrayal" as some sort of an insult.

your tone is amusing, as much as you perceive salt, what you're exuding is not any better.

HYDE

Banned
I can't wait to be playing this:

Bayonetta.jpg

With this...

white_wii_u_pro_controller.jpg

Is it Jeanne that will lead in this game? Don't recognize the staff weapon being used.

Oh...and did anyone else notice how awesome the game logo will look on the Wii U box??

LowParry

Why buy the farm when all you need is the chicken?

Because there's a lot of chickens with Sega. What a day that would be though. I doubt it would happen but ya never know. Hell, it'd give me some hope of seeing a VF6 in the future if it did happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom