• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever

Banned
Nobody wants the game to not exist. They want it on a system they're going to buy.

You can't have both. What you want is not an option. If you don't like the fact that it was saved by Nintendo you are implicitly saying that you'd prefer that no one could have it.

Daschysta

The idea that SEGA "is broke" needs something of a correction..? Their consumer segment generated income the last two years.

I'd say it's more about minimizing risk.

Platinum is a risk. Bayonetta was one of their best selling games wasn't it? If Sega isn't willing to publish even that it seems like their partnership is dissolving. Hopefully Nintendo steps in and give Platinum the funding that such a talented studio deserves, and gets great Wii-U exclusives in the process.

Korigama

Wow...definitely didn't expect to wake up to all of this earlier today. Looks like the Wii U is certainly on my radar now, even if it's not likely to be day 1 for me.

Kind of hoping Bayonetta gets the Monado as a bonus weapon now.

Banned
Without even selling one copy, Bayonetta 2 has already become a legendary game and belongs in the video game hall of fame. The proof is in this thread, Twitter, and Facebook.

TDLink

It was Project Sora that Nintendo funded 72% of for Kid Icarus. Project Sora closed this year. Sora LTD is Sakurai studio.

I was under the impression "Project Sora" was just the name for Kid Icarus Uprising before it got its official title. The whole "project sora ending" thing earlier this year was because the marketing cycle for KI:U concluded and the project was finished. IIRC due to this it was blown out of proportion from certain game "journalism"/blog sites. Sora LTD, the actual company, is still the primary developer (along with Namco Bandai now) on Smash Bros 4.

Correct me if I am wrong though. Sorta LTD is also listed as a second party developer according to Wikipedia (though that admittedly isn't the best source).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_development_teams

Des0lar

will learn eventually

This is all the drama there is.

Is this really a "wall of shame" though?

I mean, there is post with simply a frown and it's on the wall?

I mean no disrespect to your work mama, but everyone needs to calm down. I completely understand why some people are disappointed that Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive. They bought the game on PS3 or Xbox and probably a lot of them only have one console (and a handheld / PC / whatevs) and also I assume that many of these people did not have any intentions of buying a WiiU. So seeing their beloved franchise appear anew sure is great, but if you want to play it, you are basically forced to buy a system you never had any intention to buy. The outrage would be here as well if bayonetta 2 was a PS3 / 360 exclusive, because the some of the fanbase of this game, played it on a different console.
Of course many here don't care because they were getting a WiiU regardless, so for them it's a big win and they are happy.

But surely not everyone who is disappointed with this news should be publicly shamed and titled as anti-Nintendo.

Disclaimer: I have neither played Bayonetta nor have any intention to buy the WiiU in the next couple of years.

Edit: Some people are absolutely overreacting though. Death threats? how low can you go?

This whole thing actually reminds me of when we had the Project P-100 reveal thread, and there was a lot of hate over a Hideki Kamiya game because it was too cutesy/had bad graphics/was on Wii U/was not Bayonetta 2/etc

Hate. Over a Kamiya game.

Kamiya.
That was especially bad because those Kamiya "fans" seemed to have conveniently forgotten about Viewtiful Joe, which had a style similar to P-100.

PKrockin

Nintendo picks up Bayonetta 2 from the land of the canceled games.
Everyone gets mad at Platinum Games for being sellouts.
No one praises Nintendo for actually caring about a dev we all love, instead they get angry at Nintendo for stealing a franchise.

Yeah, nothing surprising here.
Just about sums it up.

Beepos

Never playing the first Bayo.. I honestly had no idea it such a big deal anyways, but clearly I'm wrong with some of these reactions.

I can see why people would be annoyed since it's a sequel and now it could certainly be an exclusive forever. If Nintendo did save it and put the resoruces to bring the game from death, NOONE has the right to complain.

Shouldn't they be angry at Sega in the first place?!

Really, really happy to see Bayo 2 rise from the grave. The bitter fanboy tears are nice added bonus.

Now show me some actual media dammit!

Can't wait for that digital artbook and slick ass menu on the pad. Wait...I can play this fucking game portable around the house and in bed now!? FUCK

ArjanN

Express disappointment that Nintendo is helping to fund what was otherwise a DEAD game?

Express disapointment that a sequel to a game you liked is now exclusive to a console you don't want to buy.

Not sure why I'm even explaining this as you're just being facetious at this point.

There has never been better proof that people simply hate Nintendo for being Nintendo than this thread.

Edit: And Mama Robotnik being amazing as always.

This victim complex is tiring and it's in every one of these threads. Do you really think that's why they're upset?

- Maybe they don't want to purchase an underpowered console that's only slightly more powerful than current gen

- Maybe they don't like Nintendo 1st party games and thus a large portion of the library is irrelevant to them, making a purchase of the console simply not worth it

- Maybe they consider online a big part of their gaming life and don't have faith in Nintendo's online network

But no, it's none of those things, it's because they irrationally despise the company? How could anyone really hate Nintendo? Most of us grew up on them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Never playing the first Bayo.. I honestly had no idea it such a big deal anyways, but clearly I'm wrong with some of these reactions.

I can see why people would be annoyed since it's a sequel and now it could certainly be an exclusive forever. If Nintendo did save it and put the resoruces to bring the game from death, NOONE has the right to complain.

Shouldn't they be angry at Sega in the first place?!

People shouldn't be angry at anyone, really. Disappointed? Sure. But no point in being angry. Neither Sega nor Platinum could afford to fund and publish it, Sony and MS didn't care (and neither did other publishers), so either the game would stay dead or Nintendo would salvage it.

cj_iwakura

Probably even more raging since there are probably less people planning to buy a Vita than there are people planning to buy a Wii U.

I'd be more likely to buy the Vita honestly. But Nintendo saved it, better than it happening than not happening at all.

Skeptical about Kamiya not directing though. Look what happened to NMH2 without Suda at the helm. It lost something.

Nintendo picks up Bayonetta 2 from the land of the canceled games.
Everyone gets mad at Platinum Games for being sellouts.
No one praises Nintendo for actually caring about a dev we all love, instead they get angry at Nintendo for stealing a franchise.

Yeah, nothing surprising here.

All in a GAF day, man. All in a GAF day...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why are you disappointed with Platinum? They don't own the Bayonetta IP, and wouldn't have been able to publish the game themselves even if they owned the IP.
They don't? Well thats different then, congrats to Nintendo for reviving it, So fuck Sega? Is that more appropriate? Though it's not like its a seller so we can't blame them either.
But am generally disappointed because I don't have money to throw at a console just to play it and I'd prefer to play on my current console.

Express dissapointment that a sequel to a game you liked is now exclusive to a console you don't want to buy.

Not sure why I'm even explaining this as you're just being facetious at this point.
Then what the fuck does it matter to you?

There were two options.

WiiU, or no game at all.

We heard nothing about any publisher showing interest. Your Bayo was dead. Dead enough that Alberto was shocked to see it announced.

It can't be a betrayal or disappointing if the only other option was no game at all.

Wait...I can play this fucking game portable around the house and in bed now!? FUCK
Mv6UR.gif

abadguy

Banned
You can't have both. What you want is not an option. If you don't like the fact that it was saved by Nintendo you are implicitly saying that you'd prefer that no one could have it.

What if you just want to play the damned game and may not be able to and you're disappointed at that. Does this still mean you don't want it to exist"?

Well, I'm happy with this, I'm going to buy a WiiU and Bayo 2 is another reason to own the system; at least for me. Nintendo ..... Can you pick up a game from the Valkyria team?

AniHawk

Express dissapointment that a sequel to a game you liked is now exclusive to a console you don't want to buy.

well the point is the sequel to a game you liked was dead before it was on a system you didn't want to buy.

i didn't really have an interest in the ps3 for a while, and was kinda bummed that skies 2 turned into valkyria chronicles, but i bought vc day one knowing that it'd be there once the ps3 was under $300.

and the ps3 got other games i enjoyed that i might not have otherwise played.

Platinum is a risk. Bayonetta was one of their best selling games wasn't it? If Sega isn't willing to publish even that it seems like their partnership is dissolving. Hopefully Nintendo steps in and give Platinum the funding that such a talented studio deserves, and gets great Wii-U exclusives in the process.
Platinum is something of a risk essentially because Bayonetta was their best selling game (afaict).

SEGA seems to want to focus on its IPs that consistently do multimillion sales - Sonic, Total War etc. + Mobile games.

Or you express your dissapointment in a reasonable manner and get talked down to.
If you'd prefer to not to be spoken down to not making posts like this one would be a good place to start.
Why do people keep bringing up this strawman argument?

Nobody wants the game to not exist. They want it on a system they're going to buy.
How is this a reasonable argument? Why would you decide which system to buy for any other reason aside from the games that will be made for it?

Banned
You know what bothers me? This kind of shit happens all the time and there isn't this much backlash. Hell, when Final Fantasy 7 and onwards become Playstation exclusive and abandoned the console that made them famous (NES and SNES) Nintendo fans didn't fuss like this.

When Crash Bandicoot went multiplatform I don't remember the internet going apeshit.

When Rare and all their amazing ip's (Conkers, Banjo, and Perfect Dark) were bought by Microsoft I don't remember seeing all these meltdowns.

Video games are an industry, a business, and companies do what they can to survive. Platinum is probably ecstatic that their developmental efforts will not be wasted and their artistic vision will be reached due to Nintendo funding the game. Instead of Platinum having to lay off employees or throw out a nbunch of code, they have new hope again, a larger budget, more marketing, and only need to focus on developing for one console (allowing for better optimization of games). No need to shit on Nintendo or Platinum for what happened today. Both of them got what they wanted; Nintendo got an action button masher that they don't have in their lineup, and Platinum got a publisher to fund their game.

Noi

It's not really that, it's that there's a large amount that are behaving just like that, as twitter and here proves. Point it shouldn't have been this hard to get over essentially considering the cirumstances. I can't think of a single game that would me get to react even remotely to the way the vast majority that are negatively reacting to this. I mean seriously you don't even have a reason to be angry dissapointed sure but wth is there to be angry about. The fact the game is being made?

Oh yeah, I'm not angry that Bayo 2 actually exists. But it is frustrating because it's pretty much the only game that I'd buy a Wii U for (so far), whenever it gets to a point where I could actually afford one. But even an opinion like mine can have some acting like I don't understand that it wouldn't exist without Nintendo or that I should be vomiting rainbows about it with zero complaints.

I'm all for making fun of people saying Nintendo stole their games though, thats just silly.

Instro

I was under the impression "Project Sora" was just the name for Kid Icarus Uprising before it got its official title. The whole "project sora ending" thing earlier this year was because the marketing cycle for KI:U concluded and the project was finished. IIRC due to this it was blown out of proportion from certain game "journalism"/blog sites. Sora LTD, the actual company, is still the primary developer (along with Namco Bandai now) on Smash Bros 4.

Correct me if I am wrong though. Sorta LTD is also listed as a second party developer according to Wikipedia (though that admittedly isn't the best source).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_development_teams

Project Sora was the name for the team put together to work on Kid Icarus, including outsource studios, funded by Nintendo. Sora LTD is not owned by Nintendo, they just work exclusively with them.

I mean no disrespect to your work mama, but everyone needs to calm down. I completely understand why some people are disappointed that Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive. They bought the game on PS3 or Xbox and probably a lot of them only have one console (and a handheld / PC / whatevs) and also I assume that many of these people did not have any intentions of buying a WiiU. So seeing their beloved franchise appear anew sure is great, but if you want to play it, you are basically forced to buy a system you never had any intention to buy. The outrage would be here as well if bayonetta 2 was a PS3 / 360 exclusive, because the some of the fanbase of this game, played it on a different console.
Of course many here don't care because they were getting a WiiU regardless, so for them it's a big win and they are happy.

But surely not everyone who is disappointed with this news should be publicly shamed and titled as anti-Nintendo.

Disclaimer: I have neither played Bayonetta nor have any intention to buy the WiiU in the next couple of years.

Edit: Some people are absolutely overreacting though. Death threats? how low can you go?
It's a weird victim complex. There are far more posts saying how salty everyone is and how they must hate Nintendo than there are actual posts where that happened, far more.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
They don't? Well thats different then, congrats to Nintendo for reviving it, So fuck Sega? Is that more appropriate?
But am generally disappointed because I don't have money to throw at a console just to play it and I'd prefer to play on my current console.

Sega owns the Bayo IP. As for 'fuck Sega', Sega simply can't afford to take risks on retail games that aren't guaranteed to be profitable, which is why they canned Bayo 2. It's perfectly fine to be disappointed, but the situation is what it is. No point in being angry at anyone.

You know what bothers me? This kind of shit happens all the time and there isn't this much backlash. Hell, when Final Fantasy 7 and onwards become Playstation exclusive and abandoned the console that made them famous (NES and SNES) Nintendo fans didn't fuss like this.

Uh, yes, they did. There were mountains of salt.

I honestly think some people would rather the game not exist than for it to exist and not be on a Glorious Sony System.

I get the notion you don't like Sony or Sony fans :p

Grecco

This is a really strange pickup for Nintendo. A game without a history on Nintendo consoles and had not much success on the market. Awesome game, so glad its getting a sequel but it is a strange decicion by Nintendo.

Raxus

I mean no disrespect to your work mama, but everyone needs to calm down. I completely understand why some people are disappointed that Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive. They bought the game on PS3 or Xbox and probably a lot of them only have one console (and a handheld / PC / whatevs) and also I assume that many of these people did not have any intentions of buying a WiiU. So seeing their beloved franchise appear anew sure is great, but if you want to play it, you are basically forced to buy a system you never had any intention to buy.

First. BOOOOO! Boo this man
:p
Second. the game was more or less dead so there really isn't much to understand. I LOVED Bayonetta but in the back of my mind I knew a sequel was a pipe dream. For all the dead franchises GAF worships you think more people would get behind developers rescuing a few for console exclusives. Plus it gives you one killer reason to own a Wii U. If not right off the bat then in the future when the game has a nice stable of games and a price drop.
I know this is the reason I am buying a Wii U at launch.

Per

Daschysta

While it would be much easier, we don't know if Kamiya or Plat would even want this kind of relationship.

My point wasn't that Tecmo Koei is as easy or likely as Plat, but just Nintendo being close to someone doesn't say they want to buy them. Take into account all the times that Iwata has said they want to avoid full buy outs and the fact that Plat is still working on 360/PS3 I see no reason to just start thinking Nintendo is planning to buy them, or that they want to be bought.

I mean it is possible that they wouldn't want to, but given how close they seem, and how close they are with Sakurai, and the fact that I doubt any other publisher that can give them the same budget and benefits is willing to bring them on, and in light of the recent string of platinum developed, Nintendo published exclusive software, I imagine they would be amenable to the idea. It is a win-win situation, Platinum finds a home, plus a publisher with deep pockets, Nintendo gets some new super talented developers making games that appeal to the enthusiast crowd they are chasing.

Plus, Platinum can't even get a sequel to one of their highest selling franchises published by Sega, who is a rather big Japanese publisher. Knowing that methinks it is in Platinum's best interest to stay on Wii-U level hardware, which is still a decent little upgrade over current-gen rather than going through hell trying to get their games published and funded for PS720 hardware when they are already running into problems with current gen.

Next gen (minus Wii-U) is going to kill alot of Devs like Platinum, who make quirky, non-mainstream games that don't sell much at all. Getting in with Nintendo and becoming the premiere dev of their type of game on the console, while getting a respectable budget to go crazy seems like a really sweet deal given the alternative.

Classic win-win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom