• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucc

So you're not going to buy a system with the games you want... because?

never said i'm not going to buy it. it was just such a brilliant move by nintendo that made me salty as fuck. now i'm actually considering to buy a nintendo product. my last one was a game boy classic about 20 years ago.

wrowa

I wouldn't have expected that in a thousand years, even though I certainly got my hopes up that Nintendo will continue working together with Platinum Games after P-100.

Nintendo lost much of my respect in the last two years, especially regarding the Wii U, but this news nearly makes up for all of it. It's the first time that I get the feeling that they are actually serious about trying to appeal to "me" (and other core gamers) too.

It's especially great considering that Bayonneta 2 was purposedly all but cancelled. They went to Sega in order to ressurect an already cancelled project, even though the chances that it's going to be a profitable endeavor for Nintendo is pretty slim? That's pretty nice, really.

Btw, if Nintendo keeps Platinum Games happy, I'm fairly certain they can keep their games exclusive from now on. That's the key point I think, whether as a first party publisher, they can publish the games Platinum makes with a level of success, and continue working with them. If it doesn't work out though, Platinum will no doubt want to hawk their wares on other platforms as well in future.

I don't think that Platinum Games is in a situation where they can be picky about their publishing partners. As long as Nintendo is interested in publishing their games and keeps their business running, I can't imagine that they would decline the offer.

I very much doubt that they'll ever be truly exclusive to Nintendo, though. Even if other publisher don't want to touch their games anymore, I'd expect that Konami continues their relationship if Rising sells well.

I am curious why Nintendo funded and is publishing this. They can't think that its going to be a huge seller.

I doubt it's going to make any money and even if it does the profit will probably be negligible. It's a prestige object, really.

I am curious why Nintendo funded and is publishing this. They can't think that its going to be a huge seller.

They get hardcore cred for their console, and keep Platinum close. It's pretty clear that Nintendo see Platinum as a partner for the future.

Also, it'll be a million-seller if it performs like the original. Not a knockout success, but nice enough.

Limanima

Wow. This totally blows my idead that Nintendo wouldn't want to pursue the "hardcore" with the WiiU.
This is a big surprise to me.

Jeff-DSA

AN OPEN LETTER TO SIMPLE-MINDED IDIOTS:

Dear Simple-Minded Idiots,

If Nintendo didn't pick this franchise up, it was dead. Stop whining. Go shave your necks.

Sincerely, Jeff.

Jawmuncher

I really hope this means we'll see more M rated fare from nintendo.

They had Fatal Frame on Wii.
Publishing Ninja Gaiden 2.
Publishing bayonetta 2.
Not to mention they had Resident Evil as a exclusive for a time.

I like this, since for someone like me who isn't big into nintendo's first party stuff.
This alone can make the system something I play once in awhile, to something often.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Buy it, play the game you want, then sell it back if you're so adverse to having the product. It's not like your identity will be forever altered because you bought a Nintendo console.

... Is it?

Opiate

I think that, for a broad variety of reasons, Nintendo is outside what I shall call the Cool Kids Club in the gaming universe.

The Cool Kids Club is loosely associated with sales (games like GTA are in this club, as is Elder Scrolls) but is not entirely dictated by it (games like Bioshock are definitely in this club, even though it's not an enormous seller).

If you consider it, think of all the influential developers in the medium -- the ones who other developers want to follow, and look up to. While we can quibble about a few names, I suspect most would agree the list includes names like Valve, Kojima, Rockstar, Irrational, Bethesda, Blizzard, Naughty Dog.

Nintendo hasn't gotten a real effort from any of these leaders of the Cool Kids Club for a long, long time. Despite their massive success with the Wii, they never got a game from Ken Levine, or the Houser Brothers, or from Epic. They never got a game from Bethesda, either. Or Valve. Or Square's Final Fantasy team, even, despite their relative decline of status in this club.

That is what they need to change. It is these few development houses that other lesser known developers look up to; Nintendo needs to find a way to get these developers on board, because pretty much the entirety of the "core" audience is led by these dozen or so developers. Where they go, others will follow.

Platinum is not Valve, or Rockstar, but they're on the periphery of this trend setting, Cool-Kids-Club group. That is my position on the issue.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Hideki Kamiya not directing this?

I understand he's supervising and all that, but this is his baby.

I remember reading an interview that he wanted a break from pure action games concluding bayonetta. So I guess that's why he's on P-100

He's still supervising and will probably do story like with Viewtiful Joe though

I'm more curious how this happened

I was under the impression Sega owned the IP, or had some form of joint ownership.

WatTsu

As a Mega Man Legends fan, I just want to point out that people complaining over getting an actual sequel to a series they really like is baffling to me.

Kaldea

Jesus, Nintendo can't win. This thread is nuts.

I couldn't be happier with this. More Bayonetta = happiness no matter what it's on.

I'm guessing that Nintendo's plan for the Wii U might be stepping up for the Japanese developers as they've had a lackluster showing this gen. If that is the case then it's possible Nintendo might seal a ton of 3rd party Japanese support. Nintendo might let Microsoft and Sony fight for western 3rd party studio support while they start scooping up all the Japanese support.

Linkhero1

Hahaha. The reaction in this thread is priceless. I welcome Bayonetta 2.

AN OPEN LETTER TO SIMPLE-MINDED IDIOTS:

Dear Simple-Minded Idiots,

If Nintendo didn't pick this franchise up, it was dead. Stop whining. Go shave your necks.

Sincerely, Jeff.

It's sad because if they are truly fans, then they would buy it for whichever console it's on and not complain.

never said i'm not going to buy it. it was just such a brilliant move by nintendo that made me salty as fuck. now i'm actually considering to buy a nintendo product. my last one was a game boy classic about 20 years ago.

Well then you've missed out on some quality games.

MormaPope

Banned
I think that, for a broad variety of reasons, Nintendo is outside the cool kids club in the gaming universe.

The cool kids club is associated with sales (games like GTA are in this club, as is Assassin's Creed) but is not entirely dictated by it (games like Bioshock are definitely in this club, even though it's not an enormous seller).

If you consider it, think of all the influential developers in the medium -- the ones who other developers want to follow, and look up to. While we can quibble about a few names, I suspect most would agree the list includes names like Valve, Kojima, Rockstar, Irrational, Blizzard, Naughty Dog.

Nintendo hasn't gotten a real effort from any of these leaders of the Cool Kids Club for a long, long time. Despite their massive success with the Wii, they never got a game from Ken Levine, or the Houser Brothers, or from Epic. They never got a game from Bethesda, either.

That is what they need to change. It is these few development houses that other lesser known developers look up to; Nintendo needs to find a way to get these developers on board, because pretty much the entirety of the "core" audience is led by these dozen or so developers. Where they go, others will follow.

Platinum is not Valve, or Rockstar, but they're on the periphery of this trend setting, Cool-Kids-Club group. That is my position on the issue.

This is probably the least insulting and most thought out post in this thread.

Thank You.

spekkeh

Banned
Because unlike a publisher like SEGA it's okay for a company like Nintendo to make a loss on a game, in order to shift more hardware and develop a 'hardcore gamers must own this' brand name.

LuuKyK

But I didn't want to buy a Wii U. t________t

Damn you Nintendo. How much should this exclusivity have cost? A lot right?

Well, I can't wait, just hope it doesn't use the pad as a gimmick. When should we expect new info? TGS?

DukeBobby

I don't mean it'll be bad. Probably it's going to be fun.

But it wont bring any genius gameplay. 6.5/10

Ogn08.gif

Bayonetta had genius gameplay.

Even if it's not your type of game, at least we have some hope that this could be a sign of things to come. The Wii didn't get anything like this early on, not that I remember. I'm not counting garb like Red Steel.

rvy

Banned
I remember reading an interview that he wanted a break from pure action games concluding bayonetta. So I guess that's why he's on P-100

He's still supervising and will probably do story like with Viewtiful Joe though

I'm more curious how this happened

I was under the impression Sega owned the IP, or had some form of joint ownership.

Everybody should just quit talking about Joe, because people will associate Bayo 2 to Joe 2. Hopefully there's nothing in common.

Don't worry. Baypnetta will be B-produced quick money get scheme thing. They quickly recycle first game's mechanics and invent cheesy story.

No real inventions here. It will be boring.
What you just said would be AWESOME. The first bayonetta is cheesy as hell, that's the point. The mechanics are amazing. They could add 1 new awesome weapon or mechanic and I'd be on could fucking 9.

The Wii-U screen will be primarily used as a livefeed of Kamiya's twitter.

navi-style Kamiya playtips: USE YOUR BRAIN

Guys if you want this game to be multiplat then you need to buy it on Wii U...

cuz if it failed....Sega would certainly wont bother bringing it the other platforms.

Iwata: (laughs)

I don't mean it'll be bad. Probably it's going to be fun.

But it wont bring any genius gameplay. 6.5/10

Just be honest and say you want it to be bad, sheesh.

I apologize for not blowing multiple loads and saying I'd trade Halo, MGS, God of War, Gran Turismo, Forza, Final Fantasy, Shenmue III, Grand Theft Auto 5, all just to play this game, accompanied by an angry animated gif. Great pick-up for the library, I hope we get more true exclusives so that the games can be created for the gamepad from the ground-up.

Your post was claiming that Bayonetta was a button-masher. It was not about your lack of enthusiasm for the sequel at all, but your misrepresentation (and obvious ignorance) of the original game. A strawman is not an acceptable argument.

jerd

Wow I came into this thread excited and expecting to find a ton of positive words toward the game. What gives GAF? You love Bayonetta, beg for a sequel, then suddenly turn on it when it is announced? I don't get it.

I'm angry coz it's a bit of a kick in the balls to those who actually supported the 1st game on non-Nintendo systems, much like the Resident Evil deal back on the GCN....

..but at the same time I know enough to know the game probably wouldn't be released without Nintendo stepping in.

My question is what's SEGA's deal here? They own the ip...but Platinum is developing and Nintendo is publishing...so what the fuck is SEGA doing? Counting the money that (hopefully) comes in?

Maybe we can get that deal going for Shenmue 3 too :D

Arklite

Fucking exclusive? Really? Not even the original ended up being exclusive despite being designed with only one console in mind.
Holding out for hope.

Wow I came into this thread excited and expecting to find a ton of positive words toward the game. What gives GAF? You love Bayonetta, beg for a sequel, then suddenly turn on it when it is announced? I don't get it.

It's because it'll obviously be a 6.5/10 game.

They've publicly stated they're trying to get the hardcore market back with the U. Because they realized that the casual market is great and buys lots of systems, but the hardcore market is where your real tie ratio comes from, and therefore your real margins. It's not about selling the system to the most people, it's about selling the system to the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom