• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Aske said:
The OP of an official thread can still be an great source of info for people who know nothing about a given game simply because they haven't bothered to click any of the pre-release hype threads. Not everyone has an ear to the ground regarding every big game release, and with a niche title like Bayonetta, everything we can do to encourage sales helps. The OP doesn't have to include pictures of the box art for every region, but a bit of info and a few choice screenshots might actually sell a few extra copies of the game.

I like the OP in theory, but on balance, I wish it had more zazz. If not for fans like me, then for potential fans who might finally click a Bayonetta thread and leave an instant later still not knowing what a Bayonetta is or why they should care.

Since when was it GAF users' job to advertise for a game? NeoGAFdude.gif notwithstanding.

Dave1988

FleckSplat said:
Since when was it GAF users' job to advertise for a game? NeoGAFdude.gif notwithstanding.

Well, this is a new franchise and by a fairly unknown to the mainstream studio. Advertising and hyping this game falls to us because SEGA doesn't seem to care about proper marketing.

Blueblur1

george_us said:
Because 10 seconds of typing was all that was needed. If the name "Hideki Kamiya" doesn't get you excited then seven paragraphs of text and pictures wouldn't mean shit.
:lol :lol :lol

The average gamer, and probably the average GAF'er, doesn't know or care who he is.

Minamu

Swedish Magazine Level gave it two 10's. Final comment was "Dante may cry". How original :lol

Don't mind the haters, Rez. We all know the release date now, and that's all we need to know :)

Blueblur1 said:
The average gamer, and probably the average GAF'er, doesn't know or care who he is.
They would if you mention his previous games.

Mdk7

I made lots of phone calls, i shoved snow for half an hour, i drove 2 and a half hours... but eventually

24uyikm.jpg

YES YES YES
Switzerland i love you! :D

Blueblur1

Minamu said:
Swedish Magazine Level gave it two 10's. Final comment was "Dante may cry". How original :lol

Don't mind the haters, Rez. We all know the release date now, and that's all we need to know :)

They would if you mention his previous games.
They would care about the games but not the developer. Millions of people play the Halo games and still have no idea who Bungie is so I very much doubt that you can get more than a handful of people to care about one Japanese game designer. He's no Shigeru Miyamoto.

At any rate, I was pointing out how ludicrous george_us's comment actually is. /end

Shito

Dave1988 said:
Advertising and hyping this game falls to us because SEGA doesn't seem to care about proper marketing.
Saw some big ads for Bayonetta in the parisian metro this morning: that surprised me quite a bit.
Sadly, they were not nearly as cool as the ones that Tokyo got. : (

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Mdk7 said:
I made lots of phone calls, i shoved snow for half an hour, i drove 2 and a half hours... but eventually

YES YES YES
Switzerland i love you! :D

Hah you finally came here :D

Btw you should have bought it at mediamarkt, was only 98 instead of 109.

jmd494

I think I'm going to have to give the PS3 (sigh) version of the demo another chance. I think I played it too close to God of War II and was thrown off by the differences.

From my brief play through it felt a better than average but not great. But since the review scores are CRAZY high, I'll have to give it another shot.

Aske

Dave1988 said:
Well, this is a new franchise and by a fairly unknown to the mainstream studio. Advertising and hyping this game falls to us because SEGA doesn't seem to care about proper marketing.

Exactly. I'm surprised so many think I care about Sega making money. I want more people to pick this up because I care about guaranteeing a Bayonetta sequel. I like hardcore action games. More games sold gives publishers more confidence in future projects. It's not rocket science.

I've ignored plenty of games before they hit because I had other threads to click on and the titles didn't hook me. When one of these games eventually comes out, the official thread is often a good place to get all the pertinent info in one post: gameplay synopsis so I can see if it's my thing, review quotes so I know whether or not it suffers from any major problems, and maybe a couple of screenshots so I can get a feel for the aesthetic.

That said, a lot of Official Thread OPs take things to ridiculous lengths; burying the useful stuff in fluff. I'd criticize them in the same way. I just think Rez's OP goes a little too far in the other direction.

Mdk7

Kandrick said:
Hah you finally came here :D

Btw you should have bought it at mediamarkt, was only 98 instead of 109.
Of course i did, despite the snow and the cold...
I had one preordered at MediaMarkt, but the store was like 25 km further from me.

Xmas time is Sabbath time now, i can't wait.

Blueblur1

oracrest said:
Let's do some educating then....

Hideki Kamiya:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya1.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya2.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya3.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya4.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya5.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]Park it in the OP then?

AniHawk

oracrest said:
Let's do some educating then....

Hideki Kamiya:

[]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya1.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya2.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya3.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya4.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/kamiya5.jpg[/IMG]

Never played RE2 (although I have RE2), but his best games are the action games. DMC and Bayonetta are awesome.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
AniHawk said:
Never played RE2 (although I have RE2), but his best games are the action games. DMC and Bayonetta are awesome.
is this somehow a diss against VJ? VJ is action. VJ is awesome.

danmaku

Kandrick said:
I am replaying it again on hard, and its getting serious, getting gangbanged :lol

So true. I just beat the Route666 chapter on hard and I needed an hour just for
the fight with the 3 grace & glory immune to witch time. I cursed every saint on the fucking calendar. I'm all for strong enemies, but what about the goddamn cars??. They always got in the way, interrupted my combos and did everything to piss me off.
But still, I couldn't stop playing. Amazing.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dabookerman said:
First and only time I'm doing this.

GS-iobject.jpg
this:lol

danmmit VJ was the shit

and Okami is one of the best video games ever designed.

but still Fuck you Sega/Platinum on the PS3 BS

Dahbomb

If I had to rate the Kamiya games while not including Bayonetta in the list, it would be:

VJ < RE2 < Okami < DMC1

This is just personal opinion here, but I would strongly say that VJ is the weakest game in Kamiya's profile and that is saying A LOT since VJ is still a quality game with great fun, great game play and great style. VJ doesn't reach the level that is DMC or Bayonetta though, there just isn't THAT much to the game play.

DMC is the benchmark of action games, it's an instant classic. Okami while isn't the benchmark of action adventure game, it is still pretty much a classic. RE2 is next because it truly pushed RE to where it is today.

I would think that Bayonetta falls somewhere around Okami/DMC1 level though I would be extremely difficult for me to rate Bayonetta better than DMC1 as like mentioned in a review... it is the culmination of everything in the genre in a polished, well executed package. DMC1 was revolutionary, Bayonetta is evolutionary.

DarkMehm

I've found three LPs und brought them to Rodin to get new weapons. But where are they? I can't find them.

This game is so so so so good. :D

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Btw, when you are replaying the game or just doing some chapters to get a better score, you can skip the cutscenes by just hitting right trigger + back button. Just found that now :lol

Faster than going through the pause menu.

TimeKillr

danmaku said:
So true. I just beat the Route666 chapter on hard and I needed an hour just for
the fight with the 3 grace & glory immune to witch time. I cursed every saint on the fucking calendar. I'm all for strong enemies, but what about the goddamn cars??. They always got in the way, interrupted my combos and did everything to piss me off.
But still, I couldn't stop playing. Amazing.

Buy the
Bangle of time, it'll let you activate Witch Time on those enemies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dahbomb said:
If I had to rate the Kamiya games while not including Bayonetta in the list, it would be:

VJ < RE2 < Okami < DMC1

This is just personal opinion here, but I would strongly say that VJ is the weakest game in Kamiya's profile and that is saying A LOT since VJ is still a quality game with great fun, great game play and great style. VJ doesn't reach the level that is DMC or Bayonetta though, there just isn't THAT much to the game play.

DMC is the benchmark of action games, it's an instant classic. Okami while isn't the benchmark of action adventure game, it is still pretty much a classic. RE2 is next because it truly pushed RE to where it is today.

I would think that Bayonetta falls somewhere around Okami/DMC1 level though I would be extremely difficult for me to rate Bayonetta better than DMC1 as like mentioned in a review... it is the culmination of everything in the genre in a polished, well executed package. DMC1 was revolutionary, Bayonetta is evolutionary.

really, cuz some back then fault it for having too much. I know its an Action game but i dont think you can compare it 1:1 with DMC or bayonetta, it was just such a different approach.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just got done unlocking all the costumes, unless there is more to unlok somewhere else.

Gym costume is awesome. :D

Sydle

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So hearing a few best buys are starting to sell this now. Anyone else find places to pick this up in the US yet?

What?! Time to start hunting for it while I finish some Xmas shopping this afternoon.

MoFuzz

Dahbomb said:
OH HELLZ YEA!

6cg3gp3.gif
27ycnif.jpg
I can't be the first one to point out the resemblance between your avvy Virgil and the guy in the gif. Similar hair, outfit, skin tone, WTF! and who is that guy anyways? I know he's the vocalist for some band, but I can't place him for some reason...

On topic, I usually prefer mah dual shock for these kinds of games, but if 360 version is that much better on a technical/performance level, I might have to go green for this one.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
abq said:
Hidden characters.

Well i mean for Bayonetta obviously. Havent unlocked the other ones yet. Trying to get all platinum on all verses right now, taking a break from the hard mode :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rating Kamiya's games is like trying to decide which hot super model you want to fuck tonight. All of them!

For me, DMC is still my favorite. It was the first one that really did the Hardcore, fast paced, action games. 2. Dante Dante Dante <3 <3 <3. I can draw some more lil hearts in.

Lain

Seeing this thread, I went to play.com to check the release date again and saw the limited edition costing the same as the normal edition, so preordered that.
Can't wait to get it.

Top Bottom