• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta, Art Nouveau, and the Complicated Birth of the New Woman [GIF Warning]

Dyle

Thanks for the bump, it's a nice Monday morning surprise. I've been trying to decide what my next thread topic should be, right now I'm debating between a survey of the street art influences in a whole variety of games or viewing Kentucky Route Zero through American Realists like Edward Hopper, although I might wait until episode five is released for that one.

OP is a fan of The Drowned Man I see :D

Awesome post :)
You bet, it was a post here on gaf back in April 2014 that introduced me to Punchdrunk and immersive theatre. I wish we could go back, but you know what they say, we can never go home anymore...

Adaren

Great post!

The lack of any interest in the organic world of vines and flowers is definitely the main missing aspect of Art Nouveau, which doesn't quite fit in Bayonetta.

I don't pretend to have any knowledge of art history, but this got me thinking about instances of nature imagery in Bayonetta.

- Pulley's Butterfly
f72c2dec26bba3ec1aea57bb0cd1a0a7.jpg

- Bayonetta's stained glass butterfly wings (and Madama Butterfly's as well, of course).
- Bayonetta has a curling rose embroidery on her abdomen in the first game. It's easy to miss, since it was almost invisible with the 360's color curve!
- Rose petals also scatter when Bayonetta is hit, and a rose flashes on her person to represent the impact.
- Bayonetta's cat earrings.

Balder might represent a "perversion" of nature, with the dead peacock around his neck.

Hastati

I have only read the OP in chunks but will finish reading later, awesome work.
Mucha specifically seems to have inspired a number of Japanese developers, like the logos for FF games are Mucha-esque.

Top Bottom