• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baywatch doesn't understand parody...for 2 hours (Double Toasted)

LakeEarth

Eh I disagree
Like The Rundown, Central Intelligence, and San Andreas
Ah yes San Andreas, the movie where our 'hero' selfishly steals one of a handful of rescue helicopters during the biggest disaster the world has ever seen to save one person. How heroic!

Is this the best review they've done since Assassin's Creed?

but that movie had a defense from the 'opposite side' (I don't know their names) that they at least tried to make somewhat out of the games without betraying them completely. "get him to anumus" aside, they tried on that one.

But with Baywatch: dick jokes as a pitch for a product? Nah, that ain't even trying. I knew Baywatch was (in) trouble when the poster for it was literally just a dick... joke. Nobody wants that, and that's not even a new thing either. If they did, Shadows of the Damned would be the greatest fucking video game of all fucking time. But right now, you're all googling wtf that game is.

Honestly, what surprises me is that a salesman like Johnson doesn't know that, apparently. Which is like, how, man?

Even going out of his way to have ANOTHER dick joke as a plug on SNL... pfff.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Anyone remember that FX show "Son of the Beach?"
TsM5HQr.jpg

Now that was a Baywatch parody I could fucks with.

Pain and gain is a good movie k won't hear a word otherwise.

It couldn't quite capture how insane it was reading the actual story for the first time, but Bay tried and it had stretches of being really entertaining.

The Rundown, and I dunno, Gridiron Gang are probably the other Rock movies with the most upside. (ignoring Fast Five)

Yep, Martin and Corey are the main dudes of the show that I like to watch but the rest of them hardly agree with Corey all the time.

I don't like that Gertz dude though... He is like that kid in high school that thought he was better than everyone and always talked shit about how much better he was. His review notes and additions are always the worst and I have no idea why they added him to the crew.

Girts has become the MVP recently.

His Sean Connery impression is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqAz23oKxY4
7:55, 24:10

His Hamill Joker voice reading Trump tweets is amazing https://www.facebook.com/DoubleToasteddotcom/videos/1633789710250075/

Yep, best film MB has made in over a decade.

I disagree. I thought Pain and Gain was trying way too hard and still had way too much stupid humor for what was trying to be a black comedy. 13 Hours is a legit great movie though and I'd dare say his best work since The Rock.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rock has been in plenty of shit, but some solid flicks too.

Scorpio King. PG-13 Conan, nothing more, or less. Lots of fun. And Kelly Wu.
Rundown is a fantastic action flick. Doom has always been a guilty pleasure for me. B horror with a nifty ending. And Pain and Gain is fucking great.

But the thing about The Rock is, even the shit he's in, he typically makes it enjoyable.

Double Toasted Reviews are the only fucking reviews I need. Love the team.

I love these guys. Been a long time fan since the Spill days.

I wish they could do more animated stuff though. I know they had to start from the ground up once Spill got shut down, but I really enjoyed the animated segments in their Spill reviews.

Laughed so hard when Martin caused the air to go dead by pretending to go with the matinee....lol. Never seen Korey look so tense with disagreement at Martin since his Top 10 Worst Films of 2016 upload (the way Korey went at Martin when he disagreed with Korey putting Blair Witch at #4 had my stomach legitimately hurting from laughter).

Double Toasted reviews are always legit. Really enjoy these guys' reviews.

sirap

The only thing the Rock is good at is talking about how great the Rock is. That and his cum-stained mattress.

theguy

I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie much more than this video review.

To call this video subpar would be an insult to subpar amateurs everywhere.

Horrible.

takriel

I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie much more than this video review.

To call this video subpar would be an insult to subpar amateurs everywhere.

Horrible.
Glad I'm not the only one who finds people talking in a studio about movies boring. Show some interesting visuals to go along with it, at least.

I wonder how many people in this thread actually watched the movie.

It was never meant to be a parody. Sorry, but this isn't 21 Jump Street. It didn't try to be. The movie actually is just an overdramatization of being a lifeguard. The supporting cast constantly point this out (in realistic fashion).

I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. A very good comedy that is worth anyone's time.

If you go in expecting to hate it, it'll be a selffulfilling prophecy. That's what these reviewers did. They've wasted the time of anyone who watched their video. Congrats to them. The whole movie went right over their head.

lmao, i'm pretty sure this movie didn't go over anyone's head

Glad I'm not the only one who finds people talking in a studio about movies boring. Show some interesting visuals to go along with it, at least.
They show all they can from the trailers and footage that's out there. Where else have you seen timely video reviews of movies that show more than them?

Adam Blue

I saw this last night and gotta say it was enjoyable throughout. Pacing was weird and some beginning scenes seemed to draw out, but nothing glaringly bad. I did actually lol a few times.

Worth the cost of entry having laughs with my wife and bro.

Tagyhag

I can't believe you guys are shitting on a movie you haven't seen.

I went with a large group and everyone enjoyed it. Everyone. Even the people that expected not to like it. Why? I thought not one could like it?

Nah that's understandable. Some people enjoyed the Transformers 20th sequel, everyone has different tastes.

I disagree with Double Toasted's consensus maybe 30-40% of the time (which isn't strange since they often disagree amongst each other, I guess), but their reviews are always fun to watch.

That being said, I watched Baywatch yesterday with my girlfriend and it's just as big a shit as they say. If I was on the show I'd give it Some Ol' Bullshit instead of a Fuck You because while it was overlong and not funny at all, it didn't anger me the way it did the Koreys. The movie is just... not funny. Certain gags like Ronnie (the chubby guy) getting his dick stuck in a folding chair just go on for way longer than you'd think they would. It takes forever to get to the main conflict involving Priyanka Chopra's characters because the first 20-25 minutes is just them setting up who's going to be the new Baywatch initiates. And there are long stretches where it seems like they even forgot to write any jokes.

Zac Efron is like a less-funny Channing Tatum even in his good films, which is to say that he's found his shine in acting like a dumb pretty boy. I'd say his crowning achievement so far is in Neighbors 2 - a mediocre film that nevertheless featured a great, likable-but-dumb performance by him. But he's not even as dumb in the film as the trailers suggest he is. For a lot of it he's actually the voice of reason, reminding his fellow lifeguards that they're lifeguards and not cops. They'll throw a few jokes here and there where he's an idiot ("No, I'm caucasian"), but for most of it he's kind of angsty and mopey.

I agree with Korey C's crux of his argument: the writing and acting doesn't indicate that they're aware of what they making. They treat it as a serious rendition of Baywatch. There are so many opportunities where they could exaggerate or take a self-aware look at something they're doing, but choose not to. The serious moments are played seriously. The action moments are played seriously. It feels like they're all treating the material with reverence instead of playfully acknowledging how dumb it all is.

I'm happy to see at least one poster and his friends enjoyed the film. In my theater it got intermittent laughs, but it was far from a laugh a minute. More like a laugh every 6-7 minutes, maybe. If they didn't want to go the spoof/parody route like everyone was assuming this would be, then they should have just made it a legitimately good action-comedy. But the action isn't anything home to write about and the funniest parts of the film have already been featured in the trailer.

Top Bottom