• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX 20: TriCoRo confirmed, location test pending

No, but consider that they'd probably make a new IIDX (wireless?!) controller for this, which means big $$$ for importers.

The price would probably come down from its current point though since the controllers would actually be in production again.

Still expecting >$100, though.

I need a new controller anyway. My US IIDX controller has pretty much had it.

TGMIII

If this does hit the PS3, it better have every single song from post-Empress to TriCoRo. No excuses.

With variable interfaces.

Sure it will.
All DLC of course

With the IIDX cabs now using a flat LCD they'll probably be using some sort of new timing mechanic, as in to keep the notes in sync with the music, so that means a port will take that little bit extra to work. If Konami aren't lazy and have actually came up with a new system then everything should be fine but if not then you'll see weird stuff like notes skipping or sometimes lagging like they do on newer versions of Pop'n'music AC.

.la1n

To go back to the days of hanging out in the arcade with IIDX and DDR is but a dream to me now, with every release Konami twist the knife in my heart just a little bit more.

tumblr_lr7nq56VQA1ql26yno1_500.gif

Tain

HD is a big deal by series standards. I don't think it means that we'll be getting a home port, but it does increase the chances.

rozay

Banned
They should at the very least do a DD release on the PS3 for japan. I don't know what they would do about controllers though, I don't think sony would appreciate a PS2->PS3 controller adapter being released.

FYI in case you guys glossed over it:

HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA

I really want to hear that song.

It's also a 9 which means I could actually get a decent score on it if I ever get the chance to play it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
FYI in case you guys glossed over it:

HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA
HIDEKI NAGANUMA

I really want to hear that song.

It's also a 9 which means I could actually get a decent score on it if I ever get the chance to play it.
Yeah, when I saw this I flipped out, then immediately got sad since I'll never get to play it. :(

Don't the bemani games suffer from the same issues at the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

You start with a broad audience but some casual fans lose interest over time and then the remaining fans improve their skills, which means they have to release harder songs, which tunes out more casual fans and then the hardcore fans improve so they have to release harder songs, which tunes out casual fans, etc.

This genre seems destined for niche status almost from the start.

cj_iwakura

Don't the bemani games suffer from the same issues at the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

You start with a broad audience but some casual fans lose interest over time and then the remaining fans improve their skills, which means they have to release harder songs, which tunes out more casual fans and then the hardcore fans improve so they have to release harder songs, which tunes out casual fans, etc.

Beatmania's up there with Pump It Up as the most durable rhythm gaming series out, so they must be doing something right.

They're up to, what, 15 years and going?

Pump is up to its 14th I think.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
For those of you waiting for CS ports that won't happen.

http://teknolust.org/tricoro

Grab LunaticRave2 from somewhere and you're good to go.

My other favorites from Tricoro are Ascalon and Liberation.

Is there even going to be another AC version, much less a CS one?
I don't see why not. I haven't read anything to indicate that Tricoro has had anything less than good reception. Besides, Nekomata just took the helm.

Casual fans lose interest in RB/GH as the novelty fades in playing songs that they recognize. Once everything that they can pick out from the Jack FM playlist is in the game and they've played the Easy mode chart of it a few times, there's nothing more the game can offer those kinds of players.

The only way for a music game to retain any kind of a player base is to continually push up the chart difficulty, as that gives players something new to continually strive to achieve and practice.

Does anyone still play RB Blitz?

Moreover, it doesn't help that the RB/GH approach does little to improve the interface and player options over the course of releases. Compare the kind of options players have to RB3 to what Tricoro offers through the pages seen here: http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/2dx/20/p/howtoplay/option.html

If there's anything that Bemani games suffer from, it's that the entire concept of arcade gaming is fading away.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some songs to play on my DAO RED.

cj_iwakura

For those of you waiting for CS ports that won't happen.

http://teknolust.org/tricoro

Grab LunaticRave2 from somewhere and you're good to go.

My other favorites from Tricoro are Ascalon and Liberation.

Casual fans lose interest in RB/GH as the novelty fades in playing songs that they recognize. Once everything that they can pick out from the Jack FM playlist is in the game and they've played the Easy mode chart of it a few times, there's nothing more the game can offer those kinds of players.

The only way for a music game to retain any kind of a player base is to continually push up the chart difficulty, as that gives players something new to continually strive to achieve and practice.

Does anyone still play RB Blitz?

Moreover, it doesn't help that the RB/GH approach does little to improve the interface and player options over the course of releases. Compare the kind of options players have to RB3 to what Tricoro offers through the pages seen here: http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/2dx/20/p/howtoplay/option.html

If there's anything that Bemani games suffer from, it's that the entire concept of arcade gaming is fading away.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some songs to play on my DAO RED.

Pretty sure arcades are still as viable as ever in Japan.

It's suicide in the US, as I've seen from the absolute lack of DJ MAX Technikas anywhere.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Pretty sure arcades are still as viable as ever in Japan.
I've read some anecdotes to the contrary, and Cave's contraction from arcade game development is one thing I can cite off the top of my head for me to question how strong Japanese arcades are.

But I've never been there or follow 2ch threads or anything else, so I'm not trying to proclaim myself as an expert on it.

Roubjon

For some reason I got my hopes up for a console release. I actually have money now and would buy a dope ass controller and import the hell out of it.

Of course this won't ever happen though.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
For some reason I got my hopes up for a console release. I actually have money now and would buy a dope ass controller and import the hell out of it.

Sims are your friend.

I haven't played IIDX on PS2 in years, and I don't have any of the AC data.

There's tons of fan made BMS files out there too (BMS of Fighters 2012 just came out a while ago, for example), should you decide that having access to all IIDX songs ever made isn't enough.

Also, if you were to get something like a Dao or Rainbow controller now, places like that will let you get the controller with a direct USB port instead of requiring converters. Plug and play.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

Konami sucks pretty badly. I'd do just about anything for a home release of the new DDR. I'd spend a god damn fortune on DLC if they put full song catalogs up for IIDX, DDR, Pop'n, or Gitadora.

I finally got a copy of Empress, I just need 4th to finalize my PS2 collection. I should probably look at Lunatic Rave, and maybe hook my PC up to my TV and play that way.

Roubjon

Sims are your friend.

I haven't played IIDX on PS2 in years, and I don't have any of the AC data.

There's tons of fan made BMS files out there too (BMS of Fighters 2012 just came out a while ago, for example), should you decide that having access to all IIDX songs ever made isn't enough.

Also, if you were to get something like a Dao or Rainbow controller now, places like that will let you get the controller with a direct USB port instead of requiring converters. Plug and play.

Yeah, when you put it that way I don't really have a fantastic excuse to not go ahead and do this. I guess it just isn't the same? Whenever I've done this before it feels the same as when I play old games on an emulator. It just isn't as fun.

Call me crazy.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I should probably look at Lunatic Rave, and maybe hook my PC up to my TV and play that way.
That's basically what I'm doing right now.

I guess it just isn't the same? Whenever I've done this before it feels the same as when I play old games on an emulator. It just isn't as fun.

Call me crazy.
I had trepidation in getting into BMS playing for similar reasons, but to me, the benefits far outweigh the detriments.

I should say that my judgment is likely affected by the fact that I've never been one to pursue AAA rank on everything and that in the grand scheme of all players I'm barely better than average. If playing the game that is the most authentic in handling to the arcade game is the most important aspect to you, as it likely would be if you really were at the level of being able to AAA everything, then sims are likely still not acceptable.

But for me, I've played IIDX through BMS for years and can't imagine going back. I don't have to switch discs to play different songs, I don't have to spend half of my play sessions adjusting to the individual timing differences between each style, I don't have to be forced to use a towel on styles before Distorted. I also have hundreds of more songs to play that aren't from IIDX, and I also have Extra Mode to utilize on everything, which basically gives me yet another set of all new charts with nearly everything that I have. Beyond all of this, I don't have to be compelled to use only CRT TVs to play IIDX, as LR2 and the rest give more versatility to adjust for display timing (at least compared to the PS2 versions).

Remy

It'd be really lovely if Konami did offer a modern home version, but I suppose they're worried about getting everyone's old ASCs and KOCs to work over USB.

cj_iwakura

It'd be really lovely if Konami did offer a modern home version, but I suppose they're worried about getting everyone's old ASCs and KOCs to work over USB.

Can't be that hard can it? Worse case scenario, release a new one, I'm sure fans will work out something.

Does BMS use the BGAs? That was the reason I became a Beatmania fan. I love the background design.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I've read that the Empress at Bowling Green is gone, and that it was moved to Findlay and subsequently disappeared from there as well.

Did you keep your stuff? I think you said you did before.

Roubjon

I should say that my judgment is likely affected by the fact that I've never been one to pursue AAA rank on everything and that in the grand scheme of all players I'm barely better than average. If playing the game that is the most authentic in handling to the arcade game is the most important aspect to you, as it likely would be if you really were at the level of being able to AAA everything, then sims are likely still not acceptable.

I really haven't ever played IIDX before, so I would surely be pretty mediocre at the start. But when it comes to other rhythm games, like DJMAX, I really do enjoy going for those AAA scores and stuff like that. I absolutely love getting good at rhythm games and it probably is the most fun I have with games.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'm partial to Beatmania III myself. IIDX is definitely nice and all, but BM3 was something beyond anything else in a music game that I've played.

I really haven't ever played IIDX before, so I would surely be pretty mediocre at the start. But when it comes to other rhythm games, like DJMAX, I really do enjoy going for those AAA scores and stuff like that. I absolutely love getting good at rhythm games and it probably is the most fun I have with games.

Understandable.

I guess I should say that the scores that I get from LunarBeat (another player) are basically in line with anything that I've ever recorded myself doing on the PS2 IIDXs.

There was a time with early players like BM98 and others where the timing was shown to be very loose, but LR2's timing felt acceptably accurate to me, as does what I personally use now.

If all else fails, in the case of LR2 at least, if you feel that the timing is too loose, you can always batch edit the RANK in the BMS files to make them all tighter.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
icecream is referring to playing AC data.

How long that can go on is definitely questionable.

If only konami saw the light and made a F2P IIDX with DLC song packs (on PC or Consoles) a la Jubeat/Reflec Beat which both seem to be doing stellar on iOS/Android.

Tain

I've read that the Empress at Bowling Green is gone, and that it was moved to Findlay and subsequently disappeared from there as well.

Did you keep your stuff? I think you said you did before.

Yup, still have pretty much everything. I never had any nice controllers, though, just a few KOCs. The machine was at a place in Findlay but the owner pulled it out of there and I'm not sure what he's doing with it right now, unfortunately. I know he has a Technika 3 at a game shop somewhere around there.

cj_iwakura

So what do you all think of a Beatmania community thread with weekly challenges or some such?

Got the ideas bouncing around already. 4-7 level range, no stupid 13+ difficulty nonsense, we're talking score attacks, not struggling just to survive.

cj_iwakura

I'm game!

100% agreement is good enough!

I'm working on a banner thing at the moment. Should it be IIDX20 themed, or something more general? There's a plethora of awesome art.

(Uh, and if any image creation gurus want to collaborate, now's the time)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I was thinking of making a bemani ot forever but never bothered. I'm game depending on the game. Only have access to jubeat / reflect at this point, though.

And I actually hate playing iPad jubeat now since it's really boring after playing the arcade version so much ._.

Can we meetup in Shibuya and do SDVX battles?

cj_iwakura

I was thinking of making a bemani ot forever but never bothered. I'm game depending on the game. Only have access to jubeat / reflect at this point, though.

And I actually hate playing iPad jubeat now since it's really boring after playing the arcade version so much ._.

Can we meetup in Shibuya and do SDVX battles?

I'd initially determine what versions everyone has before picking a song to make sure it's wildly accessible.

Probably something from Empress Best.

Top Bottom