• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

Valkyria

Banned
I was such a huge fan of the franchise before jumping to 7 buttons. The other day I pluged in my psx with the European controller and tried it in my Samsung 37", I'm afraid there is just to much input lag. I dust it all because I bought the original japanese 2º mix for psx and I wanted it to try it.

The latest installments are prepared to the HD tvs and their input lags?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blood Tears has always been my favorite IIDX song. I love Go Berzerk, Scorpion Fire, and Nageki no Ki, too. I have the Cardinal Gate CD from DistorteD still, too.

If the game was more playable in the US, I'd still play it. But since it requires SO much effort to get working right, I had to drop the series about 5 years ago. It's too bad, too...The music in that series is incredible.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Nice thread, subbed!

I've been playing since I first visited Japan in '06, I was a hardcore DDR player but got bitten by the IIDX bug and never looked back.

I picked up a Konami Arcade Style Controller (which was fun to carry back on the subway), and gradually picked up every style except 3rd and 5th. I bought the Konamistyle Editions wherever possible, the only ones I don't have are Red and 9th style. Looks so nice on the shelf :) I will get a DJ Dao someday, I just hope I have the spare cash before they decide to stop making them!

It is SUCH a shame that the game is so hard to play now. I've tried a few times but it's just so tricky to get arcade perfect timing on a modern TV. Does anyone know what the situation is with simulators etc? There must be a way to get a perfect home setup, surely?

cj_iwakura

I was such a huge fan of the franchise before jumping to 7 buttons. The ther day I plug in my psx with the European controller and tried it in my Samsung 37", I'm afraid there is just to must lag input. I dust it all because I bought the original japanese 2º mix for psx and I want it to try it.

The latest installments are prepared to the HD tvs and their input lags?

They have +/- adjustment settings, but getting it right is hell. I think 10th was the first one to introduce it.

cj_iwakura

Can we talk about Lunatic Rave? Let's talk Lunatic Rave!

http://www.lr2.sakura.ne.jp/index2.html

It's a Beatmania simulator like Stepmania. There's BMS files all the way up to Tricoro released.

It (kind of) has an English language option. Requires a bit of trial and error to get songs working, but it has background and keysound support.

Just need to get me a PS2/USB converter...

Are we allowed to share simfile links here?

Malajax

Resurrection!

So I finally got around to playing US Beatmania. I figured it would be a waste to do anything but 7 keys, so I tackled Beginner to start off with. Within a couple of days, I was able to play the 3 star beginner songs without much difficulty. Great! Lets bump it up to Normal!

Holy balls.

2 and 3 star songs were a difficult adjustment, but when I thought I could try a 4 star song, the game said NOPE. At this point, the game magically expects me to pull off all sorts of button combinations that were never introduced before, pressing 10 buttons every 2 seconds. What? This is where I'm at now. It's frustrating.

Coming from playing Taiko no Tasujin, the 3rd hardest difficulty wasn't all that difficult barring a few exceptions at the beginning. Taiko 2 DS story mode was actually great about introducing new patterns and adjusting to bpm changes etc. It took 6 months or so to fully adjust to Oni difficulty, but that was with 4 inputs. Now there are 7 buttons and a turntable! This is gonna be a long year to just adjust to Normal. Then there's Hyper! And then Another!

Similarly, I was playing Pop'n 13 at a friends house. It took me about 2 hours to adjust to the Enjoy mode (beginner), but stepping out into normal is the same NOPE that I got in Beatmania. It's really frustrating because outside of Beginner that's too easy now, there's Normal that's a ridiculous jump. Outside of rare zen moments where my fingers just move on their own, I don't feel like I'm making any progress. Or rather, I'm not making any progress fast. Back to grinding.

Any other tips? Practice is an important one, and the suggestion to use high speed does make following the notes much easier.

On a closing note: it seems like everybody is a wizard at this game but me. The beginner thread on bemanistyle was full of people saying "I just began and now I'm playing Another songs on 8 stars". I think that's what's most frustrating.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've played for a long time, but not terribly focused. I still struggle getting past 4-5 star songs. It takes a seriously large amount of practice.

Honesly the worst part about Beatmania US is there isn't many songs on the lower end of the difficulty curve. So not only is it a really uneven curve, there's not a lot of options of songs to play in order to improve. Honestly, I'd suggest getting some of the mixes imported ASAP.

I just ordered a copy of 4th Mix for $9 last night, which was the last PS2 mix I needed. I think once I get a new speaker set up for my new retro gaming monitor, it's time to play some IIDX.

On a closing note: it seems like everybody is a wizard at this game but me. The beginner thread on bemanistyle was full of people saying "I just began and now I'm playing Another songs on 8 stars". I think that's what's most frustrating.

There are two options:

A) They are not beginners, but they feel the need to brag about how good they are.
B) They are indeed beginners, and they lie about the level.

Nobody starts playing beatmania and is magically able to play on the highest levels.

cj_iwakura

Resurrection!

So I finally got around to playing US Beatmania. I figured it would be a waste to do anything but 7 keys, so I tackled Beginner to start off with. Within a couple of days, I was able to play the 3 star beginner songs without much difficulty. Great! Lets bump it up to Normal!

Holy balls.

2 and 3 star songs were a difficult adjustment, but when I thought I could try a 4 star song, the game said NOPE. At this point, the game magically expects me to pull off all sorts of button combinations that were never introduced before, pressing 10 buttons every 2 seconds. What? This is where I'm at now. It's frustrating.

Coming from playing Taiko no Tasujin, the 3rd hardest difficulty wasn't all that difficult barring a few exceptions at the beginning. Taiko 2 DS story mode was actually great about introducing new patterns and adjusting to bpm changes etc. It took 6 months or so to fully adjust to Oni difficulty, but that was with 4 inputs. Now there are 7 buttons and a turntable! This is gonna be a long year to just adjust to Normal. Then there's Hyper! And then Another!

Similarly, I was playing Pop'n 13 at a friends house. It took me about 2 hours to adjust to the Enjoy mode (beginner), but stepping out into normal is the same NOPE that I got in Beatmania. It's really frustrating because outside of Beginner that's too easy now, there's Normal that's a ridiculous jump. Outside of rare zen moments where my fingers just move on their own, I don't feel like I'm making any progress. Or rather, I'm not making any progress fast. Back to grinding.

Any other tips? Practice is an important one, and the suggestion to use high speed does make following the notes much easier.

Beatmania US is horrible at proper difficulty scale. You may eventually get to 5s, but it's not likely. The import versions are much better at easing you into 5s and 6s with wider variety of charts. I strongly suggest importing, say, 10th Style, DistorteD, or Empress Best.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Beatmania US is horrible at proper difficulty scale. You may eventually get to 5s, but it's not likely. The import versions are much better at easing you into 5s and 6s with wider variety of charts. I strongly suggest importing, say, 10th Style, DistorteD, or Empress Best.

I'd second those choices. A lot of people recommend Happy Sky for beginners, but the music is just so much better on all three of those that you listed.

GamerJM

Banned
I love IIDX, but I've only played it a handful of times. None of the arcades I used to be a regular at had it. Spent much more time with Benami's other rhythm games.

Don't have a PS2 either. To any emulation people, do you know if there's any easy way to play IIDX on PCSX2? I'd gladly hunt down everything needed as long as it doesn't get too expensive.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I love IIDX, but I've only played it a handful of times. None of the arcades I used to be a regular at had it. Spent much more time with Benami's other rhythm games.

Don't have a PS2 either. To any emulation people, do you know if there's any easy way to play IIDX on PCSX2? I'd gladly hunt down everything needed as long as it doesn't get too expensive.
If you're going to play on PC, you'd probably be better off looking into sims. You can probably get a controller pretty reasonably these days.

cj_iwakura

I would suggest giving the aforementioned Lunatic Rave a go. I don't know if there's a way to get a PS2 controller working with a PC, but at very least you can give a wide range of songs a try.

GamerJM

Banned
So is Lunatic Rave a well-regarded enough clone? Like, I like Stepmania/OpenITG and would like Osu! if I had a tablet but I've seen some pretty poor rhythm game clones.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember when I was younger & through junior/high school, after getting the US version, I went import crazy by getting RED & then each version afterward once it was released. A shame that once they stopped with the home releases, I lost most of my interest aside from occasionally discovering a song I like from the newer releases (Gradius 2012 is one of my fav.), but otherwise, hoping we'll get a PS3 version or something containing 17 (Sirius) through 20 (Tricoro).

Tain

Got a JPS2 before an American one back in 2002 because I wanted to get into these games. And then in college was lucky enough to have a machine nearby (as well as Pop'n). Was fun! Favorite styles are probably 6th (tons of nostalgia for this one) and 8th.

The best I've done is passing a few 10s. Never had the best timing, though, and could only AA the more basic stuff (like 5 star).

Still have all the CS stuff, and I do think about busting it out every once in a while.

Malajax

So is Lunatic Rave a well-regarded enough clone? Like, I like Stepmania/OpenITG and would like Osu! if I had a tablet but I've seen some pretty poor rhythm game clones.

Unrelated to Beatmania, but Osu! Has a few different modes other than it's namesake, and one of them is a pretty good Taiko no Tataujin clone. Doesn't require anything extra either. Just throwing that out there if you or anybody else was interested.
Taiko gets no love in the US :(

I guess I'll look into importing some of those recommended. Thanks guys!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Lunatic Rave is the standard BMS IIDX player now. It's also recommended to look into sims, because you have much easier ways to make them adjust to HDTV lag, and you have access to as many songs as you can accumulate. My current BMS folder has 4897 sub folders (so let's call this a conservative estimate of at least 4000 songs) which contain 143GB of data. A fair number of these are 7key only charts, much to my chargrin, but they're out there.

I would not recommend using any kind of sim or HD loader program to play the PS2 IIDX games. I've heard that the latter is acceptable to some people now, but I've read others saying that there are problems in doing so. If you're going to use a sim/emu program, I'd say you're better off to just use LR, find the BMS of Fighters sets among all the other crazy crap that's out there, and build up a massive song library to enjoy forever.

As far as getting PS2 IIDX controllers to work on PC, the two main means are using USB adapters or parallel port adapters. For the former, I personally use two Smart Joy Plus - and in general, you should pay close attention to buying any USB adapter which allows multiple controller inputs. PPJoy is a program to use for parallel adapters, but I've never had success in making it work, and Win7 complicates that setup. Alternatively, if you order a Dao or Rainbow controller now, you can request for the device to have USB ports built in and not worry about the PS2 use at all. There's also some talk that I've seen on a message board about people homebrewing a native USB add-on for the CS IIDX controllers. The main takeaway here is that if you don't have any IIDX controller purchased yet, you have options to ensure that you can make it work best through USB natively, and from there you just need to commit yourself to using arcade data (I personally have never bothered) or sims (which is the only way I've played IIDX for a few years now).

Use the Random chart modifier. It's important for you to encounter note combinations of all possible varieties, and this will keep the replayability of songs higher than without its use.

Play all songs regardless of difficulty. It will feel like you're just bashing and flailing on the keys most of the time, but the only way to make any kind of progress in this game is to play what you cannot pass as opposed to perfecting what you can pass. At least, that's the philosophy that I've always had, and I've done this because I care more about clearing 12*s than AAAing anything, and because the concept of playing one song fifty times to get an AAA is the total opposite of what I consider enjoyable.

As stated earlier, progress in this game comes in plateaus.

You'll beat your head against a stone wall for a week, then sit down and play the next day and magically everything will come together as if there was a physical barrier in your brain which was removed.

On the subject of bemanistyle, if anyone cares to check in, I've been posting daily entries to a blog there for a while, and I post my results of playing a IIDX sim using Extra Mode. Here's yesterday's entry: http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/entry.php?7462-LB-log-20130604 . If you're asking "What's Extra Mode?": the sim programs offer a way for you to play songs with all available notes thrown into the chart. When IIDX songs are made (particularly moreso now than years ago), they tend to cut every possible sound into individual files and autoplay notes as necessary, depending on the difficulty tier of the chart. In doing this, there tends to be notes which the songs have available but are never found in any official chart. Extra Mode tosses all of those extra and previously unplayed notes into the chart. I fail most songs horribly, and the resultant charts can lead to situations like Exusia having 3008 notes when it normally has 1980 (for a laugh, divide that over two minutes to see what the notes per second are), but doing this is what I do to ensure that I always have as much of an impossible challenge now as when I started playing this game more than ten years ago.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yeah, I can make that thread.

In my wildest dreams, Konami sees the launch of the PS4 as the best time to finally release a home port of Beatmania III.

I guess I really do have to find and rehost that picture someone grabbed of a Konami tweet which verifies that no console Beatmania is coming now.

AC, sims, or bust.

TL21xx

Banned
Bringing it back to life again!

Moved into the Austin area, and Arcade UFO has a Tricoro machine. It has me back into the game, so I started playing more LR2 and taking the game seriously. Still stuck around the 4-5 range, mostly because my hand starts locking up on some of the more rapid structures, but it's just going to take practice to get better.

Really is a bummer that it's dead in homes, but at least it lives on in the arcade. Anyone else still playing?

cj_iwakura

Bringing it back to life again!

Moved into the Austin area, and Arcade UFO has a Tricoro machine. It has me back into the game, so I started playing more LR2 and taking the game seriously. Still stuck around the 4-5 range, mostly because my hand starts locking up on some of the more rapid structures, but it's just going to take practice to get better.

Really is a bummer that it's dead in homes, but at least it lives on in the arcade. Anyone else still playing?

I envy you. :( Last new mix I got to play was Empress because I imported it.

And I've been playing DDR lately to work out more, but yeah, I still play IIDX every so often.

Funny how much 2DX stuff is in Konamix. Perfect Free, Diving Money(I think it's a Beatmania track), The Earth Light, etc.

cj_iwakura

Just put in my daily hour a bit ago.

IIDX also lives on with its fanbase. I made a thread about BMS of Fighters 2013, which just came out last week. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688445 . Since you're using LR you should definitely see about getting all of the BOFs and other fan content that you can.

Why wouldn't you post about that here? I didn't even know it was a thing. And obviously relevant to our interests!

I need to use LR2 more, I didn't dislike it, but I prefer a controller.

And yeah, Adamantite is rad. Has a L.E.D. vibe of sorts.

TL21xx

Banned
I envy you. :( Last new mix I got to play was Empress because I imported it.

And I've been playing DDR lately to work out more, but yeah, I still play IIDX every so often.

Funny how much 2DX stuff is in Konamix. Perfect Free, Diving Money(I think it's a Beatmania track), The Earth Light, etc.

Tell me about it, that's actually a big part of why I got into the series. DDR introduced me to the music, but the game itself kept me playing.

I used to do the same w/ DDR, but I don't have the space at the moment, so it's just a special thing for me when I get to the arcade. I'll get back into it eventually.

Just put in my daily hour a bit ago.

IIDX also lives on with its fanbase. I made a thread about BMS of Fighters 2013, which just came out last week. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688445 . Since you're using LR you should definitely see about getting all of the BOFs and other fan content that you can.

Will do, though from the looks of it, it's going to be a while before I can actually take on any of them!

cj_iwakura

Tell me about it, that's actually a big part of why I got into the series. DDR introduced me to the music, but the game itself kept me playing.

I used to do the same w/ DDR, but I don't have the space at the moment, so it's just a special thing for me when I get to the arcade. I'll get back into it eventually.

I'm lucky enough to have a DDR Extreme, ITG2, and Pump It Up cabinet all within half an hour. It had a pretty big scene in South Florida and never really died down.

We lost our only IIDX cabinet a few years back. :( Before Nexus shut down, they had Empress!

TL21xx

Banned
I'm lucky enough to have a DDR Extreme, ITG2, and Pump It Up cabinet all within half an hour. It had a pretty big scene in South Florida and never really died down.

We lost our only IIDX cabinet a few years back. :( Before Nexus shut down, they had Empress!

Yeah, Colorado Springs (where I was living prior to coming down to Texas for college) used to have a pretty good Bemani scene, but the arcade that had all the cabs ended up closing down a year ago. No clue what ended up happening to the machines, especially the IIDX one. I think the DDR ended up in a movie theater though.

Apparently we only got our cab a couple of weeks ago. Will be interesting to see how much of a scene builds around it. The tough part is that it's $1.50 a play, since they're trying to recoup the costs. Totally understand though, IIDX is niche, takes up a pretty decent amount of space, and can be crazy loud. Especially this particular cab. The effects knobs aren't working at the moment, so we're stuck with blaring. Not really all that big of an issue though. It's probably better that way from a gameplay standpoint. I can't stand playing Bemani machines when the sound is too quiet.

cj_iwakura

This is a long shot and a half, but.. does anyone here own Para Para Paradise(PS2)? I bought a mint copy for $2, but it goes straight to a black screen. Is this a recurring Para issue, or could the disc be bad somehow?

Songlist looks pretty great. Night of Fire!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This is a long shot and a half, but.. does anyone here own Para Para Paradise(PS2)? I bought a mint copy for $2, but it goes straight to a black screen. Is this a recurring Para issue, or could the disc be bad somehow?

Songlist looks pretty great. Night of Fire!
I have it (and two controllers!) after scoring a mighty deal on it on eBay. I haven't actually every had a chance to set it up and play. Do you have the controller? I wonder if will only boot with the controller.

Ultra High Heels & My Sweet Banana forever!

cj_iwakura

I have it (and two controllers!) after scoring a mighty deal on it on eBay. I haven't actually every had a chance to set it up and play. Do you have the controller? I wonder if will only boot with the controller.

Ultra High Heels & My Sweet Banana forever!

I don't. I got the game only. The instruction book implies it works with the PS2 controller. Requiring the controller for a boot-up seems kind of nuts...

Would you mind testing it out without the Para controller for me?

RS4-

Just installed LR2, is there no way for me to use my TE stick instead of my keyboard lol.

Neither option are ideal, but I'd rather use my stick than the kb.

cj_iwakura

Just installed LR2, is there no way for me to use my TE stick instead of my keyboard lol.

Maybe joy2key? I didn't dabble with it much, I found kb nigh unplayable.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't. I got the game only. The instruction book implies it works with the PS2 controller. Requiring the controller for a boot-up seems kind of nuts...

Would you mind testing it out without the Para controller for me?
Weird. Yeah I can test for you sometime early next week when I am back home. :)

dog$

Hates quality gaming

I play PC sim using an older Dao controller and 2 individual PS1-USB converters. What is your TE stick?

RS4-

I play PC sim using an older Dao controller and 2 individual PS1-USB converters. What is your TE stick?
One of those Madcatz Street Fighter sticks for 360

Maybe joy2key? I didn't dabble with it much, I found kb nigh unplayable.

Hm, I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Used to have one of those beatmania controllers but got rid of it, didn't think I'd use it again

patientx

I am really into rhytm games and I played Ouendan's on the DS and Taiko's on both DS and Wii , A LOT. I installed LR2 and found lots of bms' last year. About 30+GBs of songs I think. Than, when I tried to play it I found out that playing with pc keyboard is very "unsatisfying" and dull... Is a there a "cheap" (I mean below 50 bucks) controller or alternative control method to play this game ?

cj_iwakura

I saw one for sale in the BST thread, but he was asking $60. They were getting pawned off for pretty cheap at Gamestop for a while.

patientx

Is using Ps2 bemani controllers with pc wise ? Aren't people talking about the lag ? Is there a special adapter to use / you people suggest ?

cj_iwakura

So are we taking a go at those challenges? I have a CRT I can hook up now to do away with lag.

Still need a consensus on most favorable version, unless you want to use Lunatic Rave I suppose.

Is somebody looking for a PS2 controller? I still have mine from the US release and the actual US game. If someone wants it, PM me with an offer. We can buy or trade something

I actually have a modded (cardboard + key shave) JKOC and a US KOC just collecting dust.
Haven't had a need for them since I got a KASC.

cj_iwakura

No confirmation, but general consensus appears to be that Para Para does require the controller to boot up.

Konami!

bjork

I miss my IIDX pile, I had some pretty good stuff. I wasn't good at it by any means, and tbh I played The Sound of Tokyo! on PS1 more than any of the PS2 ones, but so much fun.

What I've always wondered: is there an online source for the little animations that played in the middle of older beatmanias?

cj_iwakura

I miss my IIDX pile, I had some pretty good stuff. I wasn't good at it by any means, and tbh I played The Sound of Tokyo! on PS1 more than any of the PS2 ones, but so much fun.

What I've always wondered: is there an online source for the little animations that played in the middle of older beatmanias?

You mean the cut-ins? Not to my knowledge, but I do have a collection of the videos if you want any gifs in particular. I dig a lot of them too.

Deft Beck

I absolutely love this series. I follow each entry on multiple BEMANI forums.

I used to play a lot of sims but I'm at university and I don't want to bother my roommate with the noise.

Top Bottom