• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

bjork

You mean the cut-ins? Not to my knowledge, but I do have a collection of the videos if you want any gifs in particular. I dig a lot of them too.

Are they called cut-ins? I didn't know if they had a name, heh. But yeah, the weird cartoon things. I could've sworn there was a DVD release of them at one point.

cj_iwakura

Are they called cut-ins? I didn't know if they had a name, heh. But yeah, the weird cartoon things. I could've sworn there was a DVD release of them at one point.

Yep, the random images that appear during generic videos are called cut-ins, they're usually specific to certain tracks that have key visuals, but no special videos.

A few examples are Setsugekka, Love Will, and Hitchhiker.

smbu2000

Is using Ps2 bemani controllers with pc wise ? Aren't people talking about the lag ? Is there a special adapter to use / you people suggest ?

My (older) DAO RE controller and DAO pop'n controller are PS2 only and they included a PS2 to Parallel Port adapter for connecting to a PC. There is no significant lag that I've noticed. Using the adapter does limit me to PCs with a Parallel port of course.

The newer controllers connect via USB, which does introduce some lag (according to the DAO website.) I'd imagine a standard PS2 to USB adapter would be the same.

I don't really play too much iidx though, as I mainly play Pop'n Music. (at the arcade)

Yep, the random images that appear during generic videos are called cut-ins, they're usually specific to certain tracks that have key visuals, but no special videos.

A few examples are Setsugekka, Love Will, and Hitchhiker.

I usually see them referred to as "overlays", not "cut-ins".

The newer controllers connect via USB, which does introduce some lag (according to the DAO website.) I'd imagine a standard PS2 to USB adapter would be the same.

Apparently the lag only applies to the turntable inputs and not the buttons, because of the weird way DAO turntable encoders are engineered.

Sorry for a bit of a bump!

Anyways, despite adoring rhythm games, Bemani games have always been kinda... off for me, for whatever reason. I mean, if I'm at an arcade and see DDR or pop'n music, I'll play it for sure, I just don't love these games like I love some other rhythm games and haven't really actively sought them out. I guess "simplicity of input" has always been a really big deal for me in rhythm games and most Bemani games have a relatively large number of inputs, which I found a bit intimidating.

Still, I like the style and have a few friends who are into Bemani, so I figured I should really try to get into their most acclaimed series, which would be Beatmania (or so it seems). After some searching I found the US PS2 bundle for a relatively decent price and received it just yesterday. I've been messing around with it a little bit in 5-key mode and I've been having fun, even if I'm playing poorly. I don't really think trying it just once or twice every so often at the arcade does the games justice. I don't think they could've accomplished the style of gameplay they were going for with a simplified input, and I have more respect for it now.

Basically, what I'm wondering is, where do I go from here? I understand that I just need to keep playing and playing and keep getting better, but if there's any tips and tricks (like hand/finger placement, still haven't quite figured that out) or a general guide for progression, that'd be awesome. Also, is the localized version considered to be serviceable? It's all I have at the moment because I only have a PS2 slim on me right now and not the means necessary to play imports on it, but is it at least... somewhat satisfactory? And for when I am able to play the imported versions, what should I go for (I know that after 10 they seem to gradually increase in price, so I'm looking for good value starting off)?

I SWEAR I AM GOING TO GET INTO THIS SERIES

cj_iwakura

Sorry for a bit of a bump!

Anyways, despite adoring rhythm games, Bemani games have always been kinda... off for me, for whatever reason. I mean, if I'm at an arcade and see DDR or pop'n music, I'll play it for sure, I just don't love these games like I love some other rhythm games and haven't really actively sought them out. I guess "simplicity of input" has always been a really big deal for me in rhythm games and most Bemani games have a relatively large number of inputs, which I found a bit intimidating.

Still, I like the style and have a few friends who are into Bemani, so I figured I should really try to get into their most acclaimed series, which would be Beatmania (or so it seems). After some searching I found the US PS2 bundle for a relatively decent price and received it just yesterday. I've been messing around with it a little bit in 5-key mode and I've been having fun, even if I'm playing poorly. I don't really think trying it just once or twice every so often at the arcade does the games justice. I don't think they could've accomplished the style of gameplay they were going for with a simplified input, and I have more respect for it now.

Basically, what I'm wondering is, where do I go from here? I understand that I just need to keep playing and playing and keep getting better, but if there's any tips and tricks (like hand/finger placement, still haven't quite figured that out) or a general guide for progression, that'd be awesome. Also, is the localized version considered to be serviceable? It's all I have at the moment because I only have a PS2 slim on me right now and not the means necessary to play imports on it, but is it at least... somewhat satisfactory? And for when I am able to play the imported versions, what should I go for (I know that after 10 they seem to gradually increase in price, so I'm looking for good value starting off)?

I SWEAR I AM GOING TO GET INTO THIS SERIES

The problem most(myself included) have with Beatmania US is that it goes from beginner to early intermediate then straight to really nasty charts with little in-between. If you're like me, you'll manage to get to 4/5 but have no clue what's going on with the 6s and 7s, because Beatmania US's are REALLY hard.

My advice is to master the 4s and 5s in Beatmania, and when you're comfortably AAing them, get an Import. I suggest 9th, 10th, or DistorteD, or Empress Best(ton of songs, two discs, kinda pricey).

Also, modding a PS2 slim to play imports is extremely easy. That's what I use.

I think the best advice I can give is not to play 5 key at all, to avoid learning behaviors that you would have to unlearn to play 7 key appropriately. Different play styles work better for different people, but take extra care to make use of every finger, including your thumbs (and pinkies, especially if playing 1P one-handed, 2P, or double); players that learn play styles that ignore fingers tend to hit walls in progression faster due to their style being less versatile.

Since you're using a USKOC, how is your turntable? You should be able to trigger it using only your pinky; if you can't, you might want to consider a wax paper mod to make it easier to spin.

As far as home releases go, Empress is definitely the way to go.

Alright, thanks for the advice! Working my way through some 7 note stuff and I've hit a bit of a wall as I try to get a better feel for the button placement, but repeated attempts are seeing notable improvement. Wish I had more time to play, though.

The turntable seems pretty fine so far. Spins easily enough and the buttons seem ok (but that's just based off of what I know about arcade stick buttons, dunno how much this sort of thing differs). I suppose I could think about modding it down the line if it ever becomes a hindrance, but for my skill level it's more than serviceable.

I think I might stick with US for a little while, as I'm sure it'll take that long for me to exhaust it. I know that it's easy enough to mod a slim to play imports, but I don't really feel like spending the cash on that at the moment when I have a fat PS2 elsewhere that's already modded. Is consensus that Empress is worth the high, high asking price? I know it has by far the most content, so, say, would getting it mean that I don't need to pick up a bunch of other versions, some of which are pretty high in price as well? I'm not entirely sure how much of the songlist is shared between versions or how worthwhile it is to pick up each version.

cj_iwakura

Alright, thanks for the advice! Working my way through some 7 note stuff and I've hit a bit of a wall as I try to get a better feel for the button placement, but repeated attempts are seeing notable improvement. Wish I had more time to play, though.

The turntable seems pretty fine so far. Spins easily enough and the buttons seem ok (but that's just based off of what I know about arcade stick buttons, dunno how much this sort of thing differs). I suppose I could think about modding it down the line if it ever becomes a hindrance, but for my skill level it's more than serviceable.

I think I might stick with US for a little while, as I'm sure it'll take that long for me to exhaust it. I know that it's easy enough to mod a slim to play imports, but I don't really feel like spending the cash on that at the moment when I have a fat PS2 elsewhere that's already modded. Is consensus that Empress is worth the high, high asking price? I know it has by far the most content, so, say, would getting it mean that I don't need to pick up a bunch of other versions, some of which are pretty high in price as well? I'm not entirely sure how much of the songlist is shared between versions or how worthwhile it is to pick up each version.

Empress Best has all the songs from Empress(which is a solid mix in its own right), and three-five songs from every mix before it. It's basically the last (CS) mix and a greatest hits from everything else.

It is worth it, but if you'd want a cheaper lead in, I'd go for 10th Style or 9th. Someone in the BST thread was selling a few of the older versions.

And modding a slim would cost you like, $20. The disc, three pieces of plastic, done.

If you have a modded PS2 in your possession already you could install Free McBoot onto one of your memory cards. You have to patch and burn copies of your imports to use it but it's an option that needs no additional hardware.

cj_iwakura

We need a general rhythm games thread, rather than splitting the games into their own threads.

As much as I like the idea, merging the communities for mainstream stuff like GH/RB with niche stuff like Bemani, DJ MAX and Ouendan seems kind of disastrous.

Mecha

As much as I like the idea, merging the communities for mainstream stuff like GH/RB with niche stuff like Bemani, DJ MAX and Ouendan seems kind of disastrous.

If it was 2009 I would be worried about GH/RB fans taking over the thread, but now that both franchises are pretty much dead I doubt that will happen. I would be fine with the occasional GH/RB post if that meant we had an OT.

Edit: If we do decide to make one, I would love to help with the OT.

Yuuichi

I've been looking into getting a controller for a long time, but I mostly play BMS of Fighters stuff on LR2, so a USKOC isn't going to cut it. Should I save my pennies for a DAO, or try and pick up a JKOC or something from yahoo auctions or something? I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a ps2, as I don't have one and would prefer not to have to pay ~$100 USD for the game on top of everything else.

Also, someone teach me to scratch, it's embarrassing, but because I've been playing keyboard for so long, I have a lot of trouble with it even though I can clear 9-10☆ songs ;_;. My (sort of) local arcade has a 14 Gold machine, so I go there to play every so often.

Mecha

I've been looking into getting a controller for a long time, but I mostly play BMS of Fighters stuff on LR2, so a USKOC isn't going to cut it. Should I save my pennies for a DAO, or try and pick up a JKOC or something from yahoo auctions or something? I don't really want to deal with the hassle of a ps2, as I don't have one and would prefer not to have to pay ~$100 USD for the game on top of everything else.

Also, someone teach me to scratch, it's embarrassing, but because I've been playing keyboard for so long, I have a lot of trouble with it even though I can clear 9-10☆ songs ;_;. My (sort of) local arcade has a 14 Gold machine, so I go there to play every so often.

Here are some options to save money:

1.) Get a simulator for the computer

2.) Buy an older IIDX game, rather than something like 16 for your first.

Yuuichi

Here are some options to save money:

1.) Get a simulator for the computer

2.) Buy an older IIDX game, rather than something like 16 for your first.

I think you misunderstood some. I play with Lunatic Rave 2 (PC), which is a simulator, but I just use a keyboard for input, as the USKOC and USB pulling are not friends, as some research will tell you. I have hundreds of songs from BMS of Fighters, but just lack a controller, and the startup cost of a ps2 (50 console, 40 controller, 20 mod, 60-100 game) which would still have no compatibility with my other collection of songs is a hard option to justify for me, a student with no job.

Mecha

I think you misunderstood some. I play with Lunatic Rave 2 (PC), which is a simulator, but I just use a keyboard for input, as the USKOC and USB pulling are not friends, as some research will tell you. I have hundreds of songs from BMS of Fighters, but just lack a controller, and the startup cost of a ps2 (50 console, 40 controller, 20 mod, 60-100 game) which would still have no compatibility with my other collection of songs is a hard option to justify for me, a student with no job.

Edit: Misunderstood again, woops! Listen to the guy below me.

TGMIII

I think your only real options are saving for a dao or buying a US/JPKOC and then looking into a PS2 to parallel port converter which is the best option for low latency on PC (last time I checked anyway)

Yuuichi

I think your only real options are saving for a dao or buying a US/JPKOC and then looking into a PS2 to parallel port converter which is the best option for low latency on PC (last time I checked anyway)

Do you have a link or some idea of what I should be searching for to find a parallel port adapter most of the results I'm getting have to do with the ps/2 port. If you're talking about just any PS2 to usb adapter, the USKOC has horrible latency problems because of it's circuit design (as I understand, at least. Not willing to risk $50 to find out for myself).

I would recommend just saving up for a DAO. I used a USKOC with a Parallel Port adapter for awhile and it was a bit finnicky to setup, but it worked with minimal latency. However, I bought that KOC when US Beatmania was being blown out for 20$. No way would I pay the prices they're going for these days.

Yuuichi: A parallel port is also known as a printer port. But considering Parallel Port is pretty antiquated, you may have trouble even finding the PS2 -> Parallel Port adapter. And then you're going to need a Parallel Port PCI card more than likely, but those should be all over ebay.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Get a DAO with USB cords, don't even bother with PS2/Parallel or PS2/USB conversion.

It's 2014 and CRTs are long dead. IIDX on PS2 is not a viable way to play the game anymore.

TGMIII

Do you have a link or some idea of what I should be searching for to find a parallel port adapter most of the results I'm getting have to do with the ps/2 port. If you're talking about just any PS2 to usb adapter, the USKOC has horrible latency problems because of it's circuit design (as I understand, at least. Not willing to risk $50 to find out for myself).

It's specifically a PS2 controller to parallel port converter but it's been a long time since I've seen anyone talking about them or selling them so you'll most likely need to check around various bemani fan sites to see if anyone can help you on that because I personally have no clue were you'll find them these days.

A dao with a PS2 > USB converter might be the best bet actually.

Mecha

Get a DAO with USB cords, don't even bother with PS2/Parallel or PS2/USB conversion.

It's 2014 and CRTs are long dead. IIDX on PS2 is not a viable way to play the game anymore.

Don't tell SHMUPgaf that.

I have been waiting to have the chance to respond to you after I saw your IIDX setup, and now I can.

Sakujou

Banned
I still play empress for ps2 on christmas and i play when iam in asia the bemani games. Nowadays its iidx21spada,jubeat saucer and reflec beat limelight. I also got jubeat plus and reflec beat plus for ipad.iam doing ok with doing a and s on songs which are 7-8 but more is impossible. And i freaking love the covers of iidx games. They look like from outer space. They feel so alienating.

Yuuichi

It's specifically a PS2 controller to parallel port converter but it's been a long time since I've seen anyone talking about them or selling them so you'll most likely need to check around various bemani fan sites to see if anyone can help you on that because I personally have no clue were you'll find them these days.

A dao with a PS2 > USB converter might be the best bet actually.

I'm not seeing a converter anywhere (parallel port cards are easy to come by, though) and my google-fu is usually rather on point, so I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a JKOC that I can use with a converter, or try and save my pennies for a DAO if I can stop blowing them all on other imports.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Don't tell SHMUPgaf that.
Yeah, I mean, in the context of just starting out on PS2 US IIDX and learning the ropes, it's fine enough even if you have to compensate for lag on a bad screen.

Once you're in the BMS of Fighters songs and moving up to 10s otherwise, there's far more limitations to what the PS2 series offers than what you can get on sims. For me, song library size is paramount, as I get tired of repeatedly playing the same songs, and that alone makes me consider sims to trump AC data, customized or not.

(Also I'm not about to try to tell Shmup fans anything about anything. I own and play the games, and I'm happy with not discussing that any further anymore.)

I have been waiting to have the chance to respond to you after I saw your IIDX setup, and now I can.
Heh, glad to have made an impression. If only there was a way I can keep the key lighting consistent without having to fidget with the LEDs every other week.

While I'm posting here I'd just like to say that the 35 songs of Spada that I've recently played were overall rather good.

TGMIII

I'm not seeing a converter anywhere (parallel port cards are easy to come by, though) and my google-fu is usually rather on point, so I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a JKOC that I can use with a converter, or try and save my pennies for a DAO if I can stop blowing them all on other imports.

In the long run a dao is definitely worth the money if you think you'll be playing enough. I still regret not getting the empress style with my FP7.

The 2012 FP7's look so much better than the older FP7's. Switching TT sides and opening it is a nightmare.

TnK

Simulators are the easiest way, there are others but they go from expensive to illegal.

What are simulators?

Do you have an SDTV setup? If so try the last PS2 ports. If no you'll want to go simulators.

I do have an SDTV setup and a PS2 hooked up to it.

Does Japan still have these games in the arcades?

I still have a CRT, mainly for old school games. CRTs for life, yo!

cj_iwakura

Weird, hooked up 9th Style to a CRT I got(hard to beat the low price of free), and my accuracy still sucks.

Goods through the roof. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the LCD delay?

cj_iwakura

I forgot this was a thing.

1456105_336079593199243_1422897702_n.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Bumping this to share and preserve this link.

If anyone is looking to get a BMS library started, get Jdownloader and go here:

http://dl.free.fr/AF40Mw/BMShare?F=658636

Also while I'm posting here, I'd like to report that I do have a streaming setup finalized, however - the equipment causes some electronic noise to seep into the headphones, and I can't rule out that the extra HDMI splitter that I use doesn't introduce a touch of lag. edit: Never mind. Nobody added the address anyway and I elected to just record some unlisted videos instead.

I worked at an arcade in South Florida with a modded Empress machine and Pop'n Carnival. I miss those two cabinets so much.

I have a home made Pop'n controller and two US KOCs but I kind of want to buy an ASC or a DJ Dao. Is ordering and shipping from DJ Dao still difficult? I see they have a lot of different options for IIDX now, I've only played on a Real Edition Double, which was awesome but way more than I'd ever want to spend. Any recommendations from anyone still in the scene?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I think that Dao has someone on staff who does Chinese translations so that he doesn't have to let Google butcher it for him. I wouldn't know for sure, though. I got my RED in 2009.

I haven't read any ordering difficulty with Dao for a long time now. It seems pretty stable.

I like that C33, and it looks like its shipped from L.A. but out of stock right now. Anyone know if thats something that is still being sold regularly?

Edit: shot him an e-mail about it

cj_iwakura

I work at an arcade in South Florida with a modded Empress machine and Pop'n Carnival. I miss those two cabinets so much.

I have a home made Pop'n controller and two US KOCs but I kind of want to buy an ASC or a DJ Dao. Is ordering and shipping from DJ Dao still difficult? I see they have a lot of different options for IIDX now, I've only played on a Real Edition Double, which was awesome but way more than I'd ever want to spend. Any recommendations from anyone still in the scene?

Worked, you mean? I assume you meant the Nexus?

Did the place close? What happened to the machines?
Not sure exactly. I think Pop'n went to some place in or around Miami called Birdbowl? Which is a scary thought as I had to pull that machine apart regularly because of people spilling soda into the buttons.

The Empress machine was a hack anyways, though some how it worked well and there wasn't a noticeable difference.

One of my buddies I worked with is opening a new place up called Versus Gaming Center in Ft. Laudy. I think they have an ITG machine. I keep telling him to track down the Pop'n and IIDX cabinets.

cj_iwakura

Not sure exactly. I think Pop'n went to some place in or around Miami called Birdbowl? Which is a scary thought as I had to pull that machine apart regularly because of people spilling soda into the buttons.

I doubt it's still there. They had a fricking DJ MAX Technika once and let it go to waste.

Tain

Just tried LunaticRave for the first time in ten years.

This is so feature-packed, jeez. Things have come a long way. Wonder how this will feel in the living room!

The Empress machine was a hack anyways, though some how it worked well and there wasn't a noticeable difference.

One of my buddies I worked with is opening a new place up called Versus Gaming Center in Ft. Laudy. I think they have an ITG machine. I keep telling him to track down the Pop'n and IIDX cabinets.
99% of all IIDX machines in the US running anything later than 8th style are guaranteed to be running some sort of hack, that's nothing unusual (recent versions require a connection to a server and connecting to Konami's simply isn't an option for any location that isn't Round 1).

Top Bottom