• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

mitx

Really wished there was a way to transfer my PS3 save to PS4. Sometimes I get the urge to come back to that game but no way I'm going to start a new game on PS4.

Yeah, I absolutely loved this game. But I stopped playing it once Konami started dicking around with my balance and, upon login, I (for the second time) had a negative balance in my account. The first time I got back in it by selling some stuff. But the second time that made me distrust the game and I was out.

So yeah, great game, but fuck Konami.

That's a good joke! TPP is by far the worst Metal Gear Solid title.

Maybe not a great Metal Gear game, but it's the best game Metal gear has ever been. And that's indisputable really.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
On board with all of this, although something about Nova Braga always rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I like the insertion/exit points. Lack of vents in/out, ways to jump over, and all that.

Internally, though, it's mind-blowing.

I still think the 'ammo and suppressor drops' system seriously undermines the game's amazing level design, but I can't complain too much.

you're not wrong. it's really just a spread out collection of buildings in a big open plain. in terms of how it's structured to facilitate infiltration it's not terribly interesting, but i find the dynamic of the main building to make up for that. it makes approaching it more challenging due to the amount of empty space in the map and how it overlooks both sides of the facility, and when you're inside it's still easy to be spotted from any direction due to how open it is.

i also have a soft spot for any missions that involve trailing and eavesdropping, and nova braga has two :)

near

Gold Member
Easily one of my favourite games, I've clocked over 70hours on it now and have only completed 53% of the game. I'm working my way through the remaining side ops at the moment, I've managed to do 73/150. So much content in this game and so many different ways to play it.

Xion86

I'd take it over 4 any day of the week. It has actual gameplay, for starters.

Yeah I enjoyed 4 mainly for the fantastic wrap up story and cut scenes (especially after playing through 1-3 beforehand). But the gameplay was pretty much:

1) Open up map and see location to next area
2) Run to next area without needing to kill or stealth
3) Go to step 1).

Vagrant

Good thread. I love the game and crave more of it. I played the hell out of it for like half a year. Towards the end I did a challenge with run of no fulton, no tranq, no reflex/marking,and no traces (but settled with perfect stealth on most) even just for an excuse to keep playing.

My favorite weapon is the decoy and all of its variations. Just pure fun and there aren't many situations where these things aren't extremely useful.

On its own it can distract an entire base if used right. Get everyone looking one way, then bam instant pincer attack from the other side or sneak past. It's one of the best non-lethal takedown weapons, a well tossed throw can instantly take down the most heavily armored guard, sometimes multiple, and any of his buddies still up are now distracted and open for further attack/sneaking. The electric version practically guarantees two downed guards. In boss fights you can distract and lure skulls, snipers, etc., and it will cause most vehicles to stop unless they're already under fire (you can even ride behind a vehicle and throw one in ahead of it if you're quick and accurate). Even in a pure alert firefight, they will momentarily distract the aim of guards and vehicles (they were useful to me for running out to grab ammo safely in mission 45). Plus, decoys make other weapons better,like pair it with c4 and mine for a instant skull auto kill. On FOB missions it makes stealthing them or covering up a fuck up way easier due to the complex vertical setup over relatively small area.

And that's just the utilitarian uses, there's all kinds of other ways they're great. put a ton on of decoys your vehicle and ride around causing chaos, torment guards with tons of them, put them in boxes for jack in the box knockdowns, etc. Oh and using decoys to fight everything just fits venom snake and the game on a thematic level really well

Courage

Where Do The Bees Sleep is probably the most memorable one for me. I did not expect it to progress into an escape sequence from some super mutant task force.

I also like the mission where you save Emmerich.

Future

Saddest news last year was Kojima calling it quits. MGS5 was not only the best metal gear experiences, but the best stealth experience ever. No game comes close. Not talking story or anything just the pure mechanics

Playing the missions where you start with zero gear was the most fun I think I've ever had in a stealth game.

Servbot24

Banned
MGSV has the best gameplay in gaming, period.

You know what... this is not far off. MGSV is absolutely immaculate.

Bloodborne edges it out for my game of the gen so far, but that's mainly because Bloodborne is more cohesive as a statement. MGSV has better core gameplay.

valkyre

That's a good joke! TPP is by far the worst Metal Gear Solid title.

Well, its by far the best gameplay in the series... you have to be in complete denial to disagree with this.

Also, being a series that has had many games already it was astounding how much it evolved in MGSV... i dont think other games/series made such huge changes and evolved pretty much every aspect of the game in such a way.

IMO its literally the best 3rd person gameplay that there is out there. The controls, the movement, the shooting, the numerous ways to approach objectives, the arsenal, the overall refinement... its really in a league of its own.

This thread reminds me that I haven't finished it. If I remember I had only recently unlocked Africa and done about 3 or 4 missions.

I don't know whether to pick off from where I left off, or start over.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Replayed it a few months ago, and iagree. The gameplay is just incredible. While the story isnt the greatest, the atmosphere captured me completely.

valkyre

This thread reminds me that I haven't finished it. If I remember I had only recently unlocked Africa and done about 3 or 4 missions.

I don't know whether to pick off from where I left off, or start over.

Can i give you an advise if I may?

If you liked previous MGS games and you want a more "refined" MGS experience, restart the game and focus on playing only the Main Missions + whatever side ops are story related. (at some point you will have to do just 2-3 random side ops)

I did that on my second playthrough, trying to see if the pacing becomes more enjoyable (story wise). And it was absolutely great. Focusing only on the required missions to finish the game (you dont even have to replay the duplicate Main missions that appear later in the game) you get a much more compact story (almost everytime you go back to the Mother Base you get a story cutscene) and MGS experience.

After finishing the main story then you can freely enjoy messing around with all side missions.

I wish I knew that the first time I played the game. Its so much more "MGS" if you focus on main story doing nothing else until you are done with it.

It simply feels fantastic. Not just the movement and controls, which I swear by as having the best "game feel" of any realistic-looking third-person game, but also the atmosphere — from the sweeping vistas of Afghanistan and Africa, to the contemplative mood of Mother Base and the AAC. The lighting and materials make each landscape feel so concrete, evocative and real...

me: i feel like i'm on some kinda over-built oil platform...

neiteio: so contemplative!...

i'm still working my way through my 3rd completion. this game never ceases to amaze. the graphics are still just incredible.

something about the camera positioning, the way they did the lighting, and the rock steady 60fps, all adds up to a cinematic experience that looks gorgeous.

i love these maps, too! people give this game crap for having big empty spaces but tell me how else are you going to re-create the mountains of Afganistahn or savannahs of Africa without big empty spaces?

the side ops really shine here: taking down heavy infantry set up in a perimeter across the sand dunes, stealthing your way past snipers to capture a bunch of armored vehicles that have set up off the beaten path. a strict linear level design would have not allowed for this cool stuff, or at least would have been as repetitive as the tiny tank battle areas you fight in Peace Walker. here, out in the wilderness, the level design is dynamic. there are hills, there are grassy areas, there are rocks, and the enemies are all positioned accordingly. line of sight still plays an important part it's just with more depth and variation than ever before.

FOB is insanely underrated. i don't understand why people were so upset. something about microtransactions. something about FOB insurance. who cares? i played 600+ hours with not a single microtransaction. FOB is a lot of fun and has level design very close to MGS2. in fact, i wonder how it compares size-wise, I bet it duplicates an area on par with the entirety of MGS2's Planet chapter.

i still die all the time trying to infiltrate an FOB. it's tough! it's like hard mode. again, really cool level design, really challenging with the density of guards. almost feel like if you got rid of the ocean and instead had walls around everything and just called it "Outer Heaven" people would think it was the greatest thing ever.

i've tried going back to MGS3 and the earlier games but MGSV is just so much more fun to play.

NIN90

There's two things that bummed me out about this game:

1. There is no intricate complex area that even approaches the level of GZ
2. I feel like the game was missing at least one major area? The pacing was kind of weird in that respect with how they opened up Africa pretty early to you without any other area after it.

Amazing game otherwise.

Arttemis

MGSV has the best gameplay in gaming, period.

You know what... this is not far off. MGSV is absolutely immaculate.

Bloodborne edges it out for my game of the gen so far, but that's mainly because Bloodborne is more cohesive as a statement. MGSV has better core gameplay.

I agree, somewhat. The gameplay is essentially MGS perfection.

To be quite honest, despite the great gameplay, the Fulton pretty much ruins the game for me. Not only do I dislike the premise of every soldier on a battlefield pledging their allegiance to Big Boss over their country, breaking the Code of Conduct, Oath of Office, countless creeds, etc, etc, etc... but it also removes all of the tension that made Ground Zeroes great. When there was a prisoner of war to rescue, you had to handicap yourself while carrying them to safety, and that was exhilarating! The instant extraction Fulton mechanic eradicated that experience.

Then there's the base building focus of the game. The grind was drawn out far too long, 10 to 15 times more than it should have been, and became beyond tedious. The staff acquisition requirements inhibit one's chances to fully experiment with those fantastic gameplay mechanics because you're punished when not constantly scanning soldier skills and extracting the highest ranked members, or else you're never going to get those Rank 5+ weapons and gear.

And... there's no survival elements. And there was basically no forest!!! The little smidge of tree top shade we get was 1/20th of the entire African map! I thought it would be closer to 1/3rd, or preferably, 2/3rds!

The game with equal quality to MGSV's gameplay mechanics and deserves to see them married is MGS3. If they could create one big open Russian forest and mountain top (or even split them into two areas), and fill it with the sandbox style missions revolving around enemy morale and rations, as well as survival aspects, the game would be my dream come true.

No need to scan every enemy to see if they should be fultoned, but instead, use the scope exclusively for finding enemies and watching them. No tedious grinds to get resources and staff levels to create an iterative upgrade.

Just you. The wilderness. Survival.

Bolivar687

Banned
I use the lowest grade of the cheapest equipment, then kit them out with as many attachments and modifications as possible, since they essentially build them up into a high rank without increasing the cost. The key is to minimize your deployment costs so you can redirect as much of the mission proceeds as possible back into your base and R&D.

The game has an unrivaled progression loop between main mission objectives and S Ranks, PF battles and short leagues, FOB events, infiltration and retaliations, and base expansion and security development. They managed to marry a persistent online experience with an entirely single player game.

If Kojima had stayed and they had great post release content, MGSV would have printed so much money it's not even funny.

FOB is insanely underrated. i don't understand why people were so upset. something about microtransactions. something about FOB insurance. who cares? i played 600+ hours with not a single microtransaction. FOB is a lot of fun and has level design very close to MGS2. in fact, i wonder how it compares size-wise, I bet it duplicates an area on par with the entirety of MGS2's Planet chapter.

i still die all the time trying to infiltrate an FOB. it's tough! it's like hard mode. again, really cool level design, really challenging with the density of guards. almost feel like if you got rid of the ocean and instead had walls around everything and just called it "Outer Heaven" people would think it was the greatest thing ever.

Great post, this bit especially needs to be emphasized. The feeling of accomplishment when you infiltrate a level 40+ base littered with enemies fully encased in riot suits and armed to the teeth, supported by UAVs and traps.... it's fantastic.

I still go after the weak link in an FOB for easy resources but it's still fun to fail trying to infiltrate a high level FOB. That's what sets off rivalries and makes you want to have the best FOB yourself.

Setsuna

I'm torn. If you want to unlock the higher tier items, you absolutely have to treat the game as a kind of Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all, tranq head-shot and extract everyone kind of game.

And that sucks.

No, you do the current event fob in less than 300 seconds and get 20 S rank soldiers

Sadist

I'm playing the game for the first time and it is definitely the most fun Metal Gear Solid game I have played.

For reference I've only played Metal Gear Solid, The Twin Snakes, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater before playing the Phantom Pain. I'm not a huge Metal Gear fan, but I really enjoyed Snake Eater the best before the Phantom Pain. Especially the controls are massively improved compared to previous games and the freedom to do whatever you want is great. Plus, extracting soldiers/animals/resources never gets old. <3 Wormhole.

Roni

Gold Member
Got back into the game these past couple of weeks too.

I like replacing my assault rifle with high caliber, low round magazines. So I can rely on automatic fire when I get in a jam and get headshots through thick armored helmets, but I can never engage the enemy continuously as I'm only carrying three magazines.

Adds to the tension for me, I love it. I also dig customizing my weapons minimalistically: short CQB style weapons with bare bones attachments and a matching camo paint.

Fantastic engine and quality of the team shows it hurts just thinking how it is going to go to waste. Gameplay is different and I enjoyed it thank you base kojima for the decades of entertainment.

Neiteio

Man, you guys have suggested so many loadouts I want to try! I'm also thinking I'll do "A Quiet Exit" on my main save now that I know I can get Quiet back.

On a side note, wormholes are fun, but I think I'll be switching back to Fulton. It's so funny!

Q8D3vil

It reminded me of Assassin creed 1 which was a shit show (with good gameplay).
I wish there was pill to forget i ever wasted 50 hours on this piece of shit.

Necron

I'm replaying MGS5 as well... incredibly fun game. I still don't like the plot but the core gameplay is the best in the series, in my opinion.

LoveCake

I got this on release (Collector's Edition), played for a while, cannot remember how far I got mission-wise, got into Africa anyway, I just got tired of grinding to get better items and trying to support the base, I stopped playing though when the 'Insurance DLC' became available to help protect the base from people stealing your stuff, so I traded it in, it was hard enough getting decent stuff but then having it stolen with no recourse and then Konami wanting money for insurance, that was it for me.

HoodWinked

55FE3E6C49252A0016

serval amr7 basically breaks the game. use it like a rocket launcher can take out gunships faster than missile weapons and kill fully armored dudes in one shot. you can even attach a silencer on it

Roni

Gold Member
Man, you guys have suggested so many loadouts I want to try! I'm also thinking I'll do "A Quiet Exit" on my main save now that I know I can get Quiet back.

On a side note, wormholes are fun, but I think I'll be switching back to Fulton. It's so funny!

If you're happy with your current MB staff and are looking to spice up your experience, try letting go of Fulton for anything other than containers and other required objectives.

Also, you might want to look at this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634320005

Ralemont

not me
The flaw with the tranq sniper rifle is that it's almost too good.

Seriously though, I felt it was too necessary in building up my base to equip anything else.

Hostile_18

Banned
I've kind of had the opposite experience to the OP today.

I enjoyed the first few hours but then when it let's you loose I was so bored. Just feels like Assasins Creed/Far Cry type pointless collecting in large open boring landmasses.

It's not that I don't love stealth games either I loved Deus Ex, Dishonoured, Outlast etc and of course Metal Gear 1-4.

It's just a completely different game than what I expected tbh as a fan of the older games. 5/10 from me based on 6 hours of play time (not putting any more into something I'm not enjoying).

GametimeUK

I absolutely love that this game is finally getting a positive reaction. Shout out to my sexy Limited Edition MGSV PS4 with awesome Box and Artwork.

Taruranto

Don't listen to the haters. MGSV has the best gameplay in the series.

The stealth mechanics themselves and the controls are solid, but the open-word design completely undermines most of stealth, the best levels are probably the mansion and that-one-outpost-everyone-loves-to-hate.

Not to mention is repetitive as hell.

Hystzen

Deleted my old save and reinstalled this game which not touched since maybe 3 weeks after launch. Anyway boot up going fine do first interpreter side mission get on chopper then get reward pop up press accept all.

I now have 310 staff and ridiculous amount of resources everything can be pretty much crafted now WTF happened is my game or just free shit I not claimed for a year

JMY86

Not to mention is repetitive as hell.

I dipped my toe back into MGS V again recently and have been enjoying it. The repetitiveness of revisiting the same areas over and over again really got to me.

I now have 310 staff and ridiculous amount of resources everything can be pretty much crafted now WTF happened is my game or just free shit I not claimed for a year

The same thing happened to me. I had dozens of A+ & S+ staff waiting for me and millions upon millions of GMP. I don't know if this was something added post launch or if I just foolishly missed it when I played at launch.

I never got the complaints about chapter 2. Never had to grind side ops to progress. Never had to play any of the optional remixed missions, although I did and they were amazing. If anything I wanted more of them. Every mission in the game should have an alternate hard mode version with new parameters. Would have been great.

And the story was incredible. Some of the most tense, dramatic momemnts in the series were in chapter 2. I love that it didn't build up to some cliche Michael bay style finale but instead was a series of post revenge snapshots that reveal the stark reality of the tolls of war and violence. I loved the quiet moments of reflection. How killing skull face didn't really help anybody to heal. There were so many amazing character moments. And the tapes. Oh my god the tapes were so good. What they did with those tapes, how they expanded on the concept from peace walker and the original codec conversations was brilliant. Next level shit. I get that mgsv was divisive. It wasn't snake eater: 2. But I personally love everything about it and will be playing it for years to come. A perfect end to the series and I can't wait for kojimas next project.

Top Bottom