• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tirant said:
I think you mean Duvel ;) It's really good beer, but I would never pay $8.5 for it. Maybe because i live quite close to Belgium and it's €1.50 - €2.00 on the supermarket :D :D

€2.00 for the big bottle? I think he was talking about the big bottle (750ml). That's all I see sold where I live.

Zefah said:
Do you have any recommendations for stores in the Seattle area that have large beer selections?

Big Star Beers right off Aurora on 105th is easily my favorite beer store in the state. If they don't have something you want, they'll order it for you if legally possible.

Bottleworks in Wallingford (right on 45th) is also good, but not as amazing as Big Star.

The Whole Foods near my house in the Roosevelt Square shopping complex has a good selection (they've started carrying many of the aluminum can craft beers), and they even sell growlers from Fremont Brewery. Surprisingly enough, Fred Meyer has a decent selection for a large grocery store, and they carry a lot of beers from Oregon that you might not be able to find anywhere else in the Seattle area.

tokkun

Zefah said:
€2.00 for the big bottle? I think he was talking about the big bottle (750ml). That's all I see sold where I live.

Nah, he said it was the 33 cl version in his original post.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
Big Star Beers right off Aurora on 105th is easily my favorite beer store in the state. If they don't have something you want, they'll order it for you if legally possible.

Bottleworks in Wallingford (right on 45th) is also good, but not as amazing as Big Star.

The Whole Foods near my house in the Roosevelt Square shopping complex has a good selection (they've started carrying many of the aluminum can craft beers), and they even sell growlers from Fremont Brewery. Surprisingly enough, Fred Meyer has a decent selection for a large grocery store, and they carry a lot of beers from Oregon that you might not be able to find anywhere else in the Seattle area.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I stopped by Big Star Beers yesterday, and damn, they have a huge selection.

I picked up a Deschutes Brewery Hop Trip, which was absolutely amazing, as well as a few other beers which I will be trying over the next week or so.

How many of yall are in a beer of the month club?

I was thinking about joining beermonthclub.com but wanted to check with yall first to see if there is a better one to join.

Zefah said:
Thanks for the recommendations!

I stopped by Big Star Beers yesterday, and damn, they have a huge selection.

I picked up a Deschutes Brewery Hop Trip, which was absolutely amazing, as well as a few other beers which I will be trying over the next week or so.

Glad you liked it.

67678_10150108115578712_136444978711_7581236_2688607_n.jpg

Awesome thread! Subscibed for sure. Is it bad that's since I'm in college and we are all poor that all we do is buy keystone light and coors light to play beer pong with? Lol

Anyone got a recommendation for pumpkin beer? I'm thinking of getting some before Halloween passes and I wanted to see if I've missed on any good stuff.

Tonight it's:

weihenstephaner_korbinian.jpg

Along with homemade yu xiang pork and eggplant.

Pretty good doppelbock! Though I still think EKU 28 is my favorite.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Anyone got a recommendation for pumpkin beer? I'm thinking of getting some before Halloween passes and I wanted to see if I've missed on any good stuff.

Most people will tell you to get Southern Tier Pumking and will swear it tastes just like pumpkin pie. Personally I think it tastes more like that you would get if you wanted a beer that tastes just like graham crackers.. You might wanna give it a try since so many people like it.

My personal votes go to Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, and St Ambroise Pumpkin (or Citrouille if the bottle is labeled in French)

Sierra Nevada Stout is awesome. Between the generous amount of roasty malts and a slightly high amount of hops for a stout, you get tons of little flavors you can pick up on.

HappyBivouac said:
Tonight it's:

weihenstephaner_korbinian.jpg

Along with homemade yu xiang pork and eggplant.

Pretty good doppelbock! Though I still think EKU 28 is my favorite.

Most people will tell you to get Southern Tier Pumking and will swear it tastes just like pumpkin pie. Personally I think it tastes more like that you would get if you wanted a beer that tastes just like graham crackers.. You might wanna give it a try since so many people like it.

My personal votes go to Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, and St Ambroise Pumpkin (or Citrouille if the bottle is labeled in French)
Gonna check out the local shop to see which of those they have. Thanks!

NH Apache said:
Just had some Sierra Nevada Stout. Tasty like a meal.
Thats funny I live in the city where Sierra Nevada was founded (Chico, CA). The stuff is alright my favorite is Old Chico but I'll drink any of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HappyBivouac said:

I only had Pumking once, but it definitely tasted kind of like pumpkin pie to me. It was around $6 for the bottle, but totally worth it. Definitely one of the best pumpkin ales out there. Unfortunately, the store that carried is all out, and I can't find it anywhere else!

Same goes for Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale, which is also pretty amazing. I bought a 4-pack of it at the beginning of the month, and when I went back for more, they were all out!

The only pumpkin ales I can find in stores anymore are standard macro stuff like Buffalo Bill's and Harvest Moon. Neither of them are very good.

Been on a brown kick lately. Fireside Nut Brown is pretty much the only good thing Leinenkugel makes. New Holland's Brown is decent but more raisiny than nutty. But have you guy's had Bells "Best" Brown Ale?

BellsBestBrownAle.jpg

By far my favorite Brown, and to be honest, Bells had never impressed me up to this point. Such a strong nut flavor. It's probably nine or ten bucks for a six pack, but definitely highly recommended.

Another beer I've been drinking since it came out late last month is Schlafly Coffee Stout

SchlaflyCoffeeStout.jpg

Coffee Stout is a personal favorite of mine, and I usually run through a 12 pack in 2 days. Schafly uses a really tasty local roast. I have only had a few other coffee stouts, Fuel Cafe is particularly bad, but Schlafly's is phenomenal.

According to the Schlafly wiki page, they distribute to Missouri (duh), Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Western Mississippi, North Virgina, and Washington, DC. If you live in one of these states you should definitely find Coffee Stout, and, if still available their Pumpkin (A - on Beer Advocate, and I personally think it is better than Pumking).

My buddies took me to a mix a six place two days before my wedding (about a month ago) and told me to buy four six packs with whatever I wanted in them. It was like heaven. I drank most of it, but here is what I remember getting. It's missing a few, I realize, but I drank some of them almost a month ago.

2x Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale
2x Abbaye Val-Dieu Brown
2x Rochefort 10
2x Allagash Tripel
2x Allagash Dubbel
2x Allagash White (to complete the Allagash six!)
2x Stone Arrogant Bastard
2x Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
2x St. Bernardus Abt 12
1x Ayinger Oktoberfest Merzen
1x Hitachino Nest White Ale
1x Hitachino Nest Ginger Ale
1x Rogue Dead Guy Ale

That's all I remember. I still have about six left. Including one of the Rochefort 10s. Dear lord that beer is everything it's cracked up to be. That will be the last one I drink for sure.

Aw man, no Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout? That's their best beer in my opinion, and the best coffee beer I've ever had. Even better than Founder's Breakfast Stout and Surly Coffee Bender.

Amazing haul though. You liked the Rochefort better than St. Bernardus?

HappyBivouac said:
Aw man, no Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout? That's their best beer in my opinion, and the best coffee beer I've ever had. Even better than Founder's Breakfast Stout and Surly Coffee Bender.

Amazing haul though. You liked the Rochefort better than St. Bernardus?

I did, only slightly. They're both fantastic, but I still like Pannepot better than both. Well, it's hard to say because I haven't had Pannepot in so long, but it used to be my favorite. I can't find it anywhere.

MjFrancis

Zefah said:
Do you have any recommendations for stores in the Seattle area that have large beer selections?
If you ever find yourself in Federal Way, 99 Bottles has a plethora of beer to choose from. That is the correct word to use in this instance, too - plethora. Just look at the store list and bask in their selection of one thousand different beers to choose from. :D

HappyBivouac said:
SIERRA NEVADA BOURBON BARREL GRAND CRU JESUS HOLY FUCKING CHRIST WHERE IS THAT

Wait just a darn minute

The Sierra Nevada grand cru is a mix of pale ale, celebration and bigfoot aged in oak right? I think whoever wrote that beer menu messed up. Can't find any info about a bourbon barrel version and if there were one I'd be really.. curious to see how those flavors matched up.

HappyBivouac said:
Wait just a darn minute

The Sierra Nevada grand cru is a mix of pale ale, celebration and bigfoot aged in oak right? I think whoever wrote that beer menu messed up. Can't find any info about a bourbon barrel version and if there were one I'd be really.. curious to see how those flavors matched up.

Bar near me is tapping their keg of it next Wed. Guess where I'm going. It sounds like an interesting blend. Should work well though. SN usually seems to know what they are doing.

HappyBivouac said:
Wait just a darn minute

The Sierra Nevada grand cru is a mix of pale ale, celebration and bigfoot aged in oak right? I think whoever wrote that beer menu messed up.

It's probably a limited release.

CIMG0028.jpg

Great Divide is apparently pulling out of NE at the end of the year so I need to enjoy while I still can. What I have here is their Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout. This is in my opinion one of the best stouts out there. Milkshake think with nice oaky undertones. mmmmm soooooo good. I am so sad they are leaving...

distantmantra said:
My in-laws are from Omaha, so whenever we go back to visit I'm always let down by the lack of hoppy beer.

Beertopia/Crescent Moon is the solution to your lack of hops problem. 36th & Farnam. Next time you're in town, go there, so worth it.

deadbeef said:
GRd8z.jpg

Saw it on the shelves this week - delicious!

My store just got 6 packs in this week, and we currently have all 12 packs of Sierra Nevada on sale. I'm waiting till the 12 packs of Tumbler get sold out here so Celebration hits the 12s - and drinking furiously to make room for a 12er of Celebration. Drinking every IPA I have to make room right now, I'm on the last of my Victory Hop Devil at the moment. Pairing it with some fine Taco Bell.

KHarvey16

It seems like no matter what type of Sierra Nevada I try I could tell you it was a Sierra Nevada without even looking. Just can't get into the hops enough to enjoy it so I usually steer clear. Is Celebration the same way?

deadbeef

Yes it's very much a Sierra Nevada beer, for sure.

I picked up a 6 pack last weekend and got another 2 six packs yesterday.

Build your own 6 pack's are a great way to try tons of different kinds of beer. But I constantly find some that tastes great at first but later don't taste as good.

Went to Dogfish Head Alehouse last night. They have a new beer called the "Dogfish Head Ale." It's very good. I also had the Chateau Jiahu which was super sweet and didn't really taste like beer. I'm starting to try to get something new every time I go, instead of just getting the Indian Brown Ale.

sharkmuncher said:
*Yeti Image*

Great Divide is apparently pulling out of NE at the end of the year so I need to enjoy while I still can. What I have here is their Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout. This is in my opinion one of the best stouts out there. Milkshake think with nice oaky undertones. mmmmm soooooo good. I am so sad they are leaving...

So definitely shouldn't have had that Yeti so late last night after drinking an 8% Trippel.

Yeti 1 - Sharkmuncher @ work 0

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
My buddies took me to a mix a six place two days before my wedding (about a month ago) and told me to buy four six packs with whatever I wanted in them. It was like heaven. I drank most of it, but here is what I remember getting. It's missing a few, I realize, but I drank some of them almost a month ago.

2x Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale
2x Abbaye Val-Dieu Brown
2x Rochefort 10
2x Allagash Tripel
2x Allagash Dubbel
2x Allagash White (to complete the Allagash six!)
2x Stone Arrogant Bastard
2x Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
2x St. Bernardus Abt 12
1x Ayinger Oktoberfest Merzen
1x Hitachino Nest White Ale
1x Hitachino Nest Ginger Ale
1x Rogue Dead Guy Ale

That's all I remember. I still have about six left. Including one of the Rochefort 10s. Dear lord that beer is everything it's cracked up to be. That will be the last one I drink for sure.

Wow you have way better mix a six options than I do. We basically have the larger craft brewers, the local craft brewers, and some German and Belgian options. Pretty Jealous.

To tell you the truth, I have somehow never had a Sierra Nevada Beer. Recommendations?

Top Bottom