• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

After reading this thread the other night, I felt I need to buy beer like I used to and try them all out, so I went on a beer run yesterday. Shit it expensive in Canada. Most of this stuff I never had before...

I bought all the beers at the LCBO store in Windsor, Ontario. All the bottles are 341ml except for Sam Smith, Chimay which are bigger while Fruli is smaller.

I'll update the rest of the beers as soon as I try them.

Pilsner Urquell - 6 bottles for $13.50 - I had high hopes for this one as I was told it is a great beer but it was ok or may be I should give it another try. It has that bitter after taste after every sip you take. It is a smooth light beer.

bottles2.jpg

Sleeman Honey Brown Lager - 12 bottles for $22.75 - This beer was much better than I thought it would be. It has little to no after taste, with some sweetness in it. With a tint of bitterness and medium carbonation, this beer is good. Definitely recommend it.

DCP05231.JPG

Hoegaarden - 6 bottles for $14 - Crisp, has a fresh taste to it. Pale yellow in color and it is smooth, recommend it.

hoegaarden.jpg

Rickard's Red - 5 bottles for $8.25 - Dark red in color, sweetish caramel taste, smooth. Good everyday beer, liked it.

4112081322_8b07d4fa1c.jpg

Rickard's Dark - 5 bottles for $8.25 - Dark brown in color, smooth beer, tastes like roasted malts, nuts and chocolate mixed.

4933030903_f7d4d461bd_m.jpg

Rickard's White - 5 bottles for $8.25 - Yellow in color with decent head, tastes creamy and a bit citrus, liked it. Supposed to be the closest beer to Blue Moon in Canada.

whitebeer%20004.jpg

Fruli Strawberry - 1 bottle for $2.25 (250ml bottle) - Really fruity beer, it was more like a soft drink with alcohol mixed in it. Would advise it to those who is not a fan of beer.

181_632824231327656250.jpg

Sam Smith's Organic Rasberry Ale - 1 bottle for $5.55 (550ml bottle) - Can't wait to try it.

47410.jpg

Chimay Premiere - 1 bottle for $5.65 (750ml bottle) - Hazy copper colored, decent head, smooth taste with malt and spice. Loved it, taste's unique. A bit expensive though.

600.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I drink local beers like Union and Laško. They are cheaper than imported beer.

Also, drinking my 6th beer this evening. Today is the beer night. Salute!

Cuu

Had:
0JcD4.jpg

on tap yesterday... it was pretty wheaty/good, but I could barely taste it because they put a GIGANTIC lemon in it. Oh well, it was really lemony but enjoyable. I'd buy it again over what they had because I do generally enjoy wheat beers.

tokkun

Cuu said:
Had:
http://imgur.com/0JcD4.jpg[IMG]

on tap yesterday... it was pretty wheaty/good, but I could barely taste it because they put a GIGANTIC lemon in it. Oh well, it was really lemony but enjoyable. I'd buy it again over what they had because I do generally enjoy wheat beers.[/QUOTE]

I took Sprecher's brewery tour a year or two ago. I don't remember them having a hefeweiss at the time. To be honest, I've always been more of a fan of their godly root beer and cream soda than their actual beers.

It was at the Sprecher brewery that I had the occasion of trying the worst beer I have ever tasted:

[IMG]http://christopherranch.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/pizza-beer.jpg

They were very clear about stating that they were only brewing it on contract, and that it wasn't their recipe. :lol

Fireye

sweetvar26 said:
Fruli Strawberry - 1 bottle for $2.25 (250ml bottle) - Haven't tried it yet.

181_632824231327656250.jpg

As mentioned earlier, I tried the Fruli. Very fruity. Would recommend for someone who doesn't like "beer"

tokkun said:
I took Sprecher's brewery tour a year or two ago. I don't remember them having a hefeweiss at the time. To be honest, I've always been more of a fan of their godly root beer and cream soda than their actual beers.

It was at the Sprecher brewery that I had the occasion of trying the worst beer I have ever tasted:

They were very clear about stating that they were only brewing it on contract, and that it wasn't their recipe. :lol

Everything Sprecher makes is awful disgusting bs. Never ever drink their so-called double IPA. It tastes like Bass that's had bubblegum sitting in it.

Currently playing some minecraft and sipping on this:
bells_kalamazoo_stout.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mmmm, Bells. It's a bit more mainstream than what you posted, but I always enjoy a nice cold Oberon. It's very popular 'round these parts.

PS - I'm drinking a Miller Lite, suck on that elitists.

Snuggler said:
Mmmm, Bells. It's a bit more mainstream than what you posted, but I always enjoy a nice cold Oberon. It's very popular 'round these parts.

PS - I'm drinking a Miller Lite, suck on that elitists.

Oberon is a fantastic summer Wheat. Love that beer.

zbarron

Pinko Marx said:
Nope, s'not it. I believe the label had more gold to it than anything else. Maybe with red/brown lettering, though I could be wrong.
Westmalle Dubbel
Westmalle Tripel
Either of these?

I'm a Clevelander and I really appreciate Great Lake's offerings. Their Blackout stout and Edmund Fitzgerald are nice and I love me some Christmas Ale in the winter.

Cuu

Due to a pricing error (I think), I just bought a 4pk of Goose Island Matilda for $6.99. Woot!

IuhRE.jpg

Looking forward to drinking it tomorrow with dinner!

Cuu said:
Due to a pricing error (I think), I just bought a 4pk of Goose Island Matilda for $6.99. Woot!

IuhRE.jpg

Looking forward to drinking it tomorrow with dinner!

That is a ridiculous pricing error. And Matilda is delicious!

Cuu

ZDwJ8.jpg

Fantastic beer. Love the slight hoppy finish, but it's a really mild and easy to drink beer. All the flavors are really subtle and not overpowering. Fruity with some spice and a bit of yeast. I'm pretty bad at explaining beers - I'm still trying to develop my palate.

For $6.99 (4pk), for what should be like $15, deal of the forever for me.

It's in a wine glass cause I broke my snifter :'(

way more

Enough foreplay. Any jackass with a twenty in his wallet can pretend to be a gourmand. What do you when you need to order something just to watch the game?

I say fuck PBR. Budweiser is clearly superior.

I had some Rogue Dead Guy Ale the other night, mmmmmmmm

But damn was it expensive........16.35 for 6 bottles at the LCBO!

But in Vegas it was 5 bucks a glass so I guess its not that bad :lol

mac said:
Enough foreplay. Any jackass with a twenty in his wallet can pretend to be a gourmand. What do you when you need to order something just to watch the game?

I say fuck PBR. Budweiser is clearly superior.

I'd rather drink Steel Reserve then drink Buds.

If I'm going to drink cheap beer, I'd buy some Heineken, Sierra Nevada, or Newcastle. All go well with pizza and wings.

zbarron

Like hell I'm letting this thread die.

I just bought Southern Tier's Pumking and Bell's Oktoberfest. Has anyone had Bell's Oktoberfest yet? Is it any good?

Cuu

zbarron said:
Like hell I'm letting this thread die.

I just bought Southern Tier's Pumking and Bell's Oktoberfest. Has anyone had Bell's Oktoberfest yet? Is it any good?

Had it last year, it's just "ok" from what I remember. Wasn't anything special, but still better than the other standard fare.

Triz

beer snobs will shoot me for this but I got tired of wondering if they were any good....

photo.jpg

Ill let you know tomorrow lol:lol

Triz said:
beer snobs will shoot me for this but I got tired of wondering if they were any good....

photo.jpg

Ill let you know tomorrow lol:lol

I got a pack last year wondering the same thing. Not terrible, but they are all really bland for the styles they are trying to create. About a step or two up from your standard Miller/Bud/Coors in quality.

Currently enjoying my after work beverage. Today is one of my home brewed dunkelweizens. Wheat beer with some chocolate malt and a little lemon zest and corriander. So good, so refreshing.

CIMG0019.jpg

sharkmuncher said:
Currently enjoying my after work beverage. Today is one of my home brewed dunkelweizens. Wheat beer with some chocolate malt and a little lemon zest and corriander. So good, so refreshing.

Love the Bruins picture in the back :D

I was grocery shopping yesterday and forgot I was supposed to get beer, so I had my buddy pick some up. Dude picked up a 12-pack of Schlitz which turned out not as horrible as I'd thought it would be. If you're looking for something different than your run of the mill $8 12-pack, give it a shot.

BigJonsson said:
I had some Rogue Dead Guy Ale the other night, mmmmmmmm

But damn was it expensive........16.35 for 6 bottles at the LCBO!

But in Vegas it was 5 bucks a glass so I guess its not that bad :lol

Just tried it out last night as well...really good.

Got it for $12 for a six pack, more than I like to spend but worth it for a treat.

silentspork said:
Just tried it out last night as well...really good.

Got it for $12 for a six pack, more than I like to spend but worth it for a treat.

Think of it this way, its a better investment and most likely more enjoyment than most $12 bottles of wine. (I've found this is a great way to justify buying a nice beer to non-beer drinkers :lol )

Shorty

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
I live in Korea. Korean Beer is terrible

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gKAqSOTDKsM/TEB2PgHCygI/AAAAAAAACa8/jVBo_hApKag/s1600/03_chirs_boone.jpg

If you see that beer, get as far away as you can.[/QUOTE]
Korean beer ain't that bad. I tried this a week ago and it was nice and mild.
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/3137752502_a74537101b.jpg

Oh and anybody who likes Schöfferhofer must not have tried Erdinger Weißbier. Even Franziskaner and Paulaner taste better thant that shit.

erdinger.jpg

FTW

sharkmuncher said:
Think of it this way, its a better investment and most likely more enjoyment than most $12 bottles of wine. (I've found this is a great way to justify buying a nice beer to non-beer drinkers :lol )

Definitely agree with you - no justification needed, I'm just used to buying what I would consider mid-priced beers.

Throwing a little fall/oktoberfest shindig at my place this weekend with the wife. Bought a case of Yuengling lager, Bitburger, and Stoudt's Oktoberfest for said festivities. Should be a hoot.

Fireye

heliconsoul said:
Beer, fuck yeah.

Preparing myself for this in a fortnight http://www.beerfestival.nottinghamcamra.org/ a beer festival held in the grounds of Nottingham Castle serving 600+ individual ales.

Superb :lol

So envious. So very envious.

I had Skullsplitter and Abita Restoration Pale Ale for the first time last night (in addition to a Raison D'etre (DFH) and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout (North Coast)). Skullsplitter was pretty awesome, but the Restoration pale ale was a bit meh. It was decent, but not good for a rainy cold night.

sharkmuncher said:

Dead Guy is good, but check out Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale... sooo good. The local beer store in Seattle carries it in 6 packs, and Whole Foods does as well during the Winter. Their Morimoto Soba Ale is great as well.

Doytch

zbarron said:
http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo03/c1/3d/c5a1d624ae28_fbfd8941-18a6-403b-b871-c9713099aed6.jpg[IMG]

Happy Oktoberfest everyone![/QUOTE]
GTA? Don't think I've ever seen a bar with bottles of Great Lakes beers.

I think I'm gonna pick up a couple six-packs from Duggan's (Toronto-GAF will know) this week. Had a great time there a few weeks back but forgot to pick up something to go.

Cuu

Last night I drank:

1.) Hacker Pschorr: Mmm.

2.) Goose Island's Harvest Ale: Actually, I enjoyed this a lot more than I did last year. If they sell 12s of this in my area, I might buy it more often this season. It felt hoppier, but sweet.

3.) Goose Island's MINX - Belgian IPA: Fantastic. Very hoppy with a sweet start and bitter finish. Mmm. This one's probably Chicago only, so sorry everyone.

4.) Joose, hahahaha. Free 12% tasted like watermelon jolly ranchers. Drunk.
cUqsi.jpg

Top Bottom