• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop

Neiteio

Oh o_O that's just ridiculous Capcom -.-
I guess Capcom got greedy and figured what they'd save in paper was worth it (having shipped 4.5 million, which means Capcom already has their money from the stores that bought stock). It's sad, because this game has great mechanics but Capcom does their best to not tell you about them.

Bittercup

I guess Capcom got greedy and figured what they'd save in paper was worth it (having shipped 4.5 million, which means Capcom already has their money from the stores that bought stock). It's sad, because this game has great mechanics but Capcom does their best to not tell you about them.
Yes a penny saved and as a tradeoff some people don't know how to play the game and that's probably one of the reason ratings suffered as well.
Probably not the best way of saving money :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched that video. Again, my problem isn't with the controls, it's with the execution. Even when you get the hang of the controls, you're still contending with janky animation, terrible hitboxes and terrible collision detection compared to past RE games. And let's not even get into the absolutely terrible camera. RE6 simply isn't a good game and I don't get why a lot of people are trying so hard to defend it. It's going to get a sequel no matter what.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the animation or hitboxes or enemy reactions. I really don't know what people are thinking of when they say things like this. Can you give us some examples?

Nemesis_

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the animation or hitboxes or enemy reactions. I really don't know what people are thinking of when they say things like this. Can you give us some examples?

I think people want the canned animations from RE4/RE5 that they're familiar with, or something.

Neiteio

I think people want the canned animations from RE4/RE5 that they're familiar with, or something.
Yeah, if anything I love how the combat flow in RE6 can segue uninterrupted from one pixel-perfect headshot/melee combo into a counter and then a series of quick shots, like you're some sort of Ballerina of Death. :)

Sectus

This video is great. Sectus, could you link to some of your other choice videos? :)

Glad to see many people digging the game as they learn the mechanics and flow. The mechanics are simple to do -- it's just a matter of learning when and where to use them. Easy to learn, deep to master.

I'm not sure which ones to link to. I'm uploading one right now which is a full 150 combo on a map with javo in duo. That might be a good one.

Neiteio

I wonder if Capcom will patch in a Tutorial mode. I recall a recent interview with OXM (iirc) where the game's director lamented not having time to implement a "stress-free" training area where people could learn the game's mechanics. Seems like something that would be easy enough to integrate into the campaign select screen, alongside the Prelude and four campaigns. It could be like an academy set at the BSAA, where you're asked to perform each maneuver several times, including tagging targets for your AI partner and auto-mixing/loading herbs. I'm thinking something like TF2's character-by-character tutorials. :)

Alfredo

This is the manual we got in Europe.

6t0lX.jpg

That's way better than what we got in the US:

ihw23AObTtbjY.jpg

That's it. An ad.

I also don't recall there being a controller diagram in the actual game. I didn't see one on any loading screens, and any tips that were on those screens I couldn't read because the game loaded too fast (I had the game installed).

It is an absolute failure on the game to not include a tutorial or in-game manual, and the game SHOULD be docked for that, because not everyone will know where to go to get that information, or even have access to it. And it's not the job of a critic to teach people how to play the game. They didn't have a cool topic dedicated to discussing the mechanics that the game hides from you. It's not their fault. It's the game's.

The people reading this topic, however, have the resources right in front of them to enjoy the game. They also have a free demo to try it out. So, really, there's no excuse for you guys' not knowing the controls.

I actually learned the dodging and sliding mechanics by experimentation with the demo. The demo actually does have a controller diagram during the load screens that spells out most of the control inputs to you. So, in a sense, the demo does a better job explaining the mechanics than the actual game.

Sectus

That's way better than what we got in the US:

ihw23AObTtbjY.jpg

That's it. An ad.

I also don't recall there being a controller diagram in the actual game. I didn't see one on any loading screens, and any tips that were on those screens I couldn't read because the game loaded too fast (I had the game installed).

It is an absolute failure on the game to not include a tutorial or in-game manual, and the game SHOULD be docked for that, because not everyone will know where to go to get that information, or even have access to it. And it's not the job of a critic to teach people how to play the game. They didn't have a cool topic dedicated to discussing the mechanics that the game hides from you. It's not their fault. It's the game's.

The people reading this topic, however, have the resources right in front of them to enjoy the game. They also have a free demo to try it out. So, really, there's no excuse for you guys' not knowing the controls.

I actually learned the dodging and sliding mechanics by experimentation with the demo. The demo actually does have a controller diagram during the load screens that spells out most of the control inputs to you. So, in a sense, the demo does a better job explaining the mechanics than the actual game.

As much as I like the game, that's definitely a very valid complaint. I think the small manual with the European version does a good enough job to explain you the very basics so you know what to experiment with (the onlline manual is even better, which is what should have come with the game). It's inexcusable the US version came with nothing. It's weird it doesn't even mention the online manual, which is pretty good.

Neiteio

Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there's one thing to penalize this game for (at least more so than anything else), it's the devastating combo of no instruction booklet (in the U.S., at least) and no in-game tutorial. The mechanics are clearly fun, not to mention intuitive enough to learn and execute, but it's like Capcom tried their best to hide it, lol. Hopefully they'll patch in a training mode to explain the major new mechanics like sliding, diving, rolling, dodging, counters, quick shots, etc. The game needs a tutorial. It's otherwise a great game. :)

Neiteio

Actually, Capcom did a big mistake (although less so than the US one) with the European manual. It links to the online manual, but the link is wrong. It links to http://game.capcom.com/manual/re6 which just leads to what I assume is a Japanese 404 message.

The real manual is at: http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/index.html

I think that manual might be a good idea to link to in the OP too, as it does a pretty good job explaining the basics.
I will add this to the OP! :)

Neiteio

Another tip I find useful: Field Medic. This skill is a godsend. Basically, when you're crawling on the ground in critical condition, this skill enables your AI partner to restore some health when they revive you -- they use a (never-ending) pill dispenser instead of a syringe. This way you won't be knocked back to red as soon as you stand back up. :)

Miburou

Wow, great thread. People should be thanking the OP instead of reiterating how dumb it is for Capcom not to teach you this (which the OP already said).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I'll be practicing with the demo until the game is out on PC.

Neiteio

Wow, great thread. People should be thanking the OP instead of reiterating how dumb it is for Capcom not to teach you this (which the OP already said).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I'll be practicing with the demo until the game is out on PC.
Hopefully the PC version will come out soon (and include a No Mercy mode in Mercs)!

So I'm going back to the demo with the OP here in front of me and having some problems. If I attempt to hit forward + L1 + X any one of three things can happen. Sometimes I slide, sometimes I just put my shoulder down, and sometimes I roll forward. I guess this is just a timing issue, where the shoulder down happens when L1 and X registers before forward, and the roll happens when L1 registers, then forward, then X, but I can't reliably get the slide to come out. Seems pretty finicky.

AlexBasch

So I'm going back to the demo with the OP here in front of me and having some problems. If I attempt to hit forward + L1 + X any one of three things can happen. Sometimes I slide, sometimes I just put my shoulder down, and sometimes I roll forward. I guess this is just a timing issue, where the shoulder down happens when L1 and X registers before forward, and the roll happens when L1 registers, then forward, then X, but I can't reliably get the slide to come out. Seems pretty finicky.
Tap forward - Roll forward
Running + L1 + X - Slide
Stand still + L1 + X - Front dodge.

I'm trying to translate this from the Xbox controls, but that's how I pull that off, no finicky at all, IMO.

No, I know I read the first post. It's just that as the first post says, forward + L1 + X should give you a forward slide from a standing position. And sometimes it does. But sometimes it doesn't. I know that it's partially timing on my part, but its kind of finicky because there doesn't seem to be a very big variation in what I am doing but I can get three different outcomes.

It depends on the ordering. If your direction isn't fully recognized when you press X, you'l get a duck (press X again to cancel into a roll). If you hit X and forward before aiming, you'll slide. It's generally not a good idea to hit everything at the same time. If you want to instantly dodge forward, I'd recommend ducking (X with no direction while aiming) then cancelling into the dodge. If you want to slide, be sure to press X and forward before aiming. If you want to roll left/right or backwards, pressing all 3 should work, but tap X an extra time in case you accidentally duck.

Great post! This makes me want to go pick up the game.

All the people calling this as complicated as a fighting game ... wow lol. In depth move lists are something to cry about now? You guys are really everything that's wrong with action gaming.

"Here's some neat moves you can use in this action game, try them out!"

"Too much work, I'll just watch it on youtube."

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg
Dude it's Wario.

It depends on the ordering. If your direction isn't fully recognized when you press X, you'l get a duck (press X again to cancel into a roll). If you hit X and forward before aiming, you'll slide. It's generally not a good idea to hit everything at the same time. If you want to instantly dodge forward, I'd recommend ducking (X with no direction while aiming) then cancelling into the dodge. If you want to slide, be sure to press X and forward before aiming. If you want to roll left/right or backwards, pressing all 3 should work, but tap X an extra time in case you accidentally duck.

Ahh. This helped. Thanks!

Oh, and here's something the OP doesn't mention

CHANGE THE AIMING TO AT LEAST 7

TURN THE CAMERA DOWN TO 2 OR 3

Now the game will still be VERY boring, mind you, with dull combat, tedious QTEs, vapid storytelling, hours of repetitive areas, shit boss fights, etc. But you at least be able to use the right stick and not feel like a complete spaz.

Shinta

Banned
No, I know I read the first post. It's just that as the first post says, forward + L1 + X should give you a forward slide from a standing position. And sometimes it does. But sometimes it doesn't. I know that it's partially timing on my part, but its kind of finicky because there doesn't seem to be a very big variation in what I am doing but I can get three different outcomes.

You don't hit them all at the same time, that's why it's messing up for you. To do the slide from a stand still, you have to actually hit and hold X first to start running, then hit L1 to slide. It's just that you can do this in a split second, but you're still hitting X first.

To do the roll forward, you hold L1 for a split second, then dive forward with X. You can do this very rapidly, but you're still hitting L1 first.
I actually did mention those settings, if you read the OP.

Just found this awesome Mercs run -- gets crazy around the 9-minute mark.

Damn, that stage looks brutal. I guess that's one of the pre-order stages?

Drain You

Thank you OP. I thoroughly enjoyed this game already, but this thread has made me love it even more. Once you completely understand the mechanics of this game its great.

Edited because of my terrible grammar

Thank you OP. I thoroughly enjoyed this game already, but this thread has made me love it even more. Once you completely understand the mechanics of this game its great.

Edited because of my terrible grammar

yolandi avatar and named after a nirvana song? this is weird, I think I have a favourite junior member.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and here's something the OP doesn't mention

CHANGE THE AIMING TO AT LEAST 7

TURN THE CAMERA DOWN TO 2 OR 3

Now the game will still be VERY boring, mind you, with dull combat, tedious QTEs, vapid storytelling, hours of repetitive areas, shit boss fights, etc. But you at least be able to use the right stick and not feel like a complete spaz.

I play with aiming at 8 and camera at 9 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can swivel the camera around instantaneously to see what's around me and I hardly get blindsided this way. Most people prefer the camera down at 2 or 3 but that just hinders your ability to get a good view of what's around you.

How many dozens of hours do you have to play RE6 before you can accurately judge it?

I enjoyed it from the get-go, but some of the most ardent fans of this game on GAF (Neiteio and Sojgat) hated the game when they first played it. So, it depends.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I play with aiming at 8 and camera at 9 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can swivel the camera around instantaneously to see what's around me and I hardly get blindsided this way. Most people prefer the camera down at 2 or 3 but that just hinders your ability to get a good view of what's around you.

I enjoyed it from the get-go, but some of the most ardent fans of this game on GAF (Neiteio and Sojgat) hated the game when they first played it. So, it depends.

I can't stop playing it because every time I think it's sunk to the absolute depths of either poor map design or beyond fucking ludicrous (not in a good way) storytelling action set piece, it manages to say "Yo, dude, no... we just topped it again!"

The game is incredible.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stop playing it because every time I think it's sunk to the absolute depths of either poor map design or beyond fucking ludicrous (not in a good way) storytelling action set piece, it manages to say "Yo, dude, no... we just topped it again!"

The game is incredible.

It sucks that you're not enjoying it but I thought the game as a whole was very well done. Each chapter felt unique and interesting, and you never feel like you're doing the same thing over again, which is appreciated in a 25-hour game.

Riposte

It sucks that you're not enjoying it but I thought the game as a whole was very well done. Each chapter felt unique and interesting, and you never feel like you're doing the same thing over again, which is appreciated in a 25-hour game.

A certain boss fight aside, lol.

Neiteio

How many dozens of hours do you have to play RE6 before you can accurately judge it?
I hated the demo and originally thought I'd just skip RE6 and go straight to Dishonored (which you may recall -- and I'm too lazy to link it -- received a massive hype thread from me). But then I tried the demo again, on a whim, and started to warm up to it. Before I knew it, it clicked, and now I love it -- everything just flows right, soaking up details, climbing and jumping around the map, sliding into combat and rolling all over the place. I just find RE6 endlessly playable, and very difficult to put down. I finish a round of Mercs and feel a hankering to revisit various scenes in the campaign, and vice-versa. I love it. :) (And I'll still get to Dishonored and XCOM at some point)

The game is incredible.

Yeah, the game honestly makes me wonder if I'm in some bizarro universe where the game is actually good, even great...I keep seeing the same seven members spend hundreds of posts across three threads educating everyone on how it's just misunderstood or something. Sorry, guys, my standards are just not that malleable no matter how much I want to like it, as a whole. I held out as long as I could before breaking down and picking it up for Mercs play. IMO, RE6 is quite easily the worst RE I've ever bought...maybe the worst current generation Capcom game I've played. Feels like something that would've really been okay in that Sonic Adventure kind of way, back in '99 or 2000. Really wish Mercs had been released separately as an XBLA/PSN title and saved me a chunk of cash and time. Just an exercise in constant disappointment for me. I don't even care about the fluff content with the story or characters, either. Holding out hope that Capcom will release a mega patch to do something with it...otherwise, this is a Mercs-only $60 purchase.

EekTheKat

Posted something like this in the other thread, but :

In theory vs a pack of zombies :

Quick shot (stun), shoot arm (spin), equip remote mines - slide into zombie and spin him around and drop mine), finish zombie with a melee, walk away and detonate remote mine to kill the rest.

My brain isn't wired to do weapon switches mid combo like that though, but that would be absolutely slick to pull off.

Grief.exe

If anyone wants an example of how the game can be played once you get used to the controls, you can watch parts of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT6fte_RPDE#t=2m

Many of the mechanics mentioned in the OP are used in the video.

So basically

Stagger someone, run up, do a contextual take down.

Counter an enemy attack by pressing the button when it shows up on the screen.

If its too much dive and slide away.

Miss your shots a lot. (controller joke)

But seriously, unless I'm missing something doesn't seem all that deep as you guys are making it out to be.

Lucentto

Banned
I have been playing Mercenaries for a while I don't really consider this game very deep, the controls are quite simple in my opinion.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME

I wasn't kidding when I said it was incredible, I want to keep playing so bad.

Riposte

So basically

Stagger someone, run up, do a contextual take down.

Counter an enemy attack by pressing the button when it shows up on the screen.

If its too much dive and slide away.

Miss your shots a lot. (controller joke)

But seriously, unless I'm missing something doesn't seem all that deep as you guys are making it out to be.

Breakdowns like these are not actually helpful for action games and if you wanted to you could more or less do the same thing about the most adored games. I think you are missing a lot, actually. For example one shouldn't just overlook the aiming and shooting (especially precise shooting of body parts), as that connection between the player and game has been enough of a joy to be the centerpiece of several genres. You could more or less say the same thing with the satisfaction of a well-placed dodge (and following up that dodge) or contextual melee, which are features that are more unique to RE6 and build around the shooting mechanics quite naturally. Similar to that, you are overlooking reflexive depth, the knowledge more concerned with honing your reflexes to use and defend against the game's attacks. For example counters are not particularly easy to execute, so you shouldn't rely on them unless you have a better way to judge than the prompt. This also makes them more satisfying.

Resident Evil 6 is not among the deepest action games (but then neither was Resident Evil 4, the sacred cow), but the mechanics are very rewarding. If I had to put into clearer words why I like RE6's combat system it would be that the game gives you a large set of options in your pocket, that all mesh well together (terrible, ignorable cover aside), and puts you against interesting, varied enemies which make use of these mechanics. RE6 is at its best in the heat of the moment where you are constantly switching between shooting, sliding, quick-shot, raw melee, contextual melee, going prone, dodging in various directions, fast weapon switching, etc. The game punishes your failure to dodge with heavily damaging lunges and grabs (rewards you with advantageous position with a good dodge), it punishes your inefficiency with low ammo(rewards with powerful contextual melee or weak points for good aiming), and it punishes your abuse of slide and melee with low stamina(rewards you for employing methods of recovering stamina, such as staying prone after a dodge). At its best it gives you layouts with multiple levels and many paths to take. While it doesn't feel as strict of a co-op game as Resident Evil 5 on Professional did, it sort of makes up for it in other ways (I particularly like the role Piers had in the Chris campaign as the "sniper" character, both when the game kept you together or separated you).

I actually don't think Mercenaries is the best form of RE6. It comes off as easier and makes up for it with a combo system meant add pressure. It works, but I prefer the better moments of the campaign.

KissVibes

Banned
Paint targets for AI partner: L1 + Circle: Snipers got you down? Aim at the sniper -- or any enemy target, for that matter -- and tap Circle to paint the target. A red marker will appear over it and that enemy will become the sole target of your AI partner, which is useful since your AI partner is virtually indestructible outside of rare one-hit boss kills, and your partner also has unlimited ammo.

WHY WOULDN'T YOU MAKE THIS A TUTORIAL?

Goddamn, this makes me so fucking angry. Do you know how much grief I went through because my AI partner was dumb as fuck, Capcom? Curse you.

Top Bottom