• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before playing RE6, know these mechanics since Capcom don't teach poop

Neiteio

So basically

Stagger someone, run up, do a contextual take down.

Counter an enemy attack by pressing the button when it shows up on the screen.

If its too much dive and slide away.

Miss your shots a lot. (controller joke)

But seriously, unless I'm missing something doesn't seem all that deep as you guys are making it out to be.
This is like saying Mario games just involve running and jumping over holes and on enemies -- it doesn't do justice to the air control, to the momentum, to the moments where you skirt death and weave in and out of danger with lightning quick reflexes.

Likewise with RE6: As your enemies transform and swarm you, often in your blind spot (and in campaign, sometimes tracking you from a mile away), you have to be ready to duck, dive, roll and slide, to counter and quick-shot, to daze for melees and more if you want to survive with more than a few bullets and blocks of health, especially on higher difficulties. Pacing your herb-mixing and pill usage, tracking your surroundings while keeping up the fight, etc, all takes more skill than is evident when someone is "making it look easy." And that's why it's so satisfying -- it's accessible, but deep, easy to learn but hard to master. In Mercs, especially, these tactics are the difference between a high score and a low one. It's the delicate back and forth, like a dance -- action at its most addictive. I really rank this up there with Bulletstorm, Vanquish and Kid Icarus Uprising when it comes to pure action.

Again, my first impression of the game was terrible, and I wasn't determined to like it or anything. On a whim I tried it again, and found myself oddly compelled to explore it further, and then acclimating to its pace and learning its intricacies made it -click- like none other. Now I can't put it down.

Shinta

Banned
How many dozens of hours do you have to play RE6 before you can accurately judge it?

I violently hated the demo. After watching some great mercenaries runs though, I loved the game. When I got it, I just played mercenaries for a while before starting the campaigns so I could start to get a handle on the controls.

I'd say, if you play mercenaries around 10x (each run is only 5-8 minutes), then play Leon Chapters 1 and 2 co-op, you can judge pretty well if you like the game or not. You'll get that fantastic RE2 throwback level, the subway tunnels, some puzzles, and a boss fight. (Even then though, just realize you would not have seen even 15% of the game at that point.)

I just find it hard to believe that people could play through that and hate it if they knew how to play. The only people I can see hating it are people who are looking for strict survival horror, but those people should have hated RE4 and RE5 already, so part of me doesn't understand that complaint.

Also, it can be critically important to mess with the options a bit. Changing the target to laser sighting made the entire thing feel much, much better in my opinion. Some people feel it's important to adjust camera and aiming speeds, and those options are there to help it feel the way you want it to. Turning the dominant hand mechanic to manual avoided having my character switch sides constantly, which bugged me in the demo. And it's also helpful to set the brightness to 30 on most HDTVs from what I've heard.

jett

D-Member
It seems I wasn't being sarcastic enough. :p

There was this guy who said you needed to play Kirby's Air Ride for 60 hours before you could properly appreciate it.

Neiteio

I violently hated the demo. After watching some great mercenaries runs though, I loved the game. When I got it, I just played mercenaries for a while before starting the campaigns so I could start to get a handle on the controls.

I'd say, if you play mercenaries around 10x (each run is only 5-8 minutes), then play Leon Chapters 1 and 2 co-op, you can judge pretty well if you like the game or not. You'll get that fantastic RE2 throwback level, the subway tunnels, some puzzles, and a boss fight. (Even then though, just realize you would not have seen even 15% of the game at that point.)

I just find it hard to believe that people could play through that and hate it if they knew how to play. The only people I can see hating it are people who are looking for strict survival horror, but those people should have hated RE4 and RE5 already, so part of me doesn't understand that complaint.

Also, it can be critically important to mess with the options a bit. Changing the target to laser sighting made the entire thing feel much, much better in my opinion. Some people feel it's important to adjust camera and aiming speeds, and those options are there to help it feel the way you want it to. Turning the dominant hand mechanic to manual avoided having my character switch sides constantly, which bugged me in the demo. And it's also helpful to set the brightness to 30 on most HDTVs from what I've heard.
This sounds about right. For people who aren't sure they'll like the game, I actually recommend Leon's campaign first, since the slower pacing does a better job of easing you in, and the setting and themes are most familiar to long-time fans. (That being said, Chris and then Jake is actually the correct order chronologically.)

And don't take the Prelude as a reflection of the rest of the game -- some strange moments there, like a QTE where you can push any direction on the analog stick and you'll still move forward. (I think they were restricting certain controller functions to "teach you" each input, piece by piece, but it comes off very awkward.)

I don't think it takes long to warm up to the game. Just give yourself time to learn the mechanics. And as many have said already, dial down the camera speed, increase the aiming speed, and switch to laser sight. :)

Neiteio

In light of the news of new camera options being added this December (and Ada co-op, and bilingual subtitles, and No Hope difficulty mode, etc), I wanted to bump this with an update: Amar's robust new instruction booklet, based on the tips in this thread, has been added to Update #1 in the OP -- it used to be the old version, but now it's the new. A good visual way to see the mechanics Capcom neglected to explain in the game, and in the U.S. there wasn't even a manual with the box! But read those, and you should be set. This game has a fantastic combat engine -- it's really remarkable what they've created here. :)

Afrocious

As someone who loved the hell out of RE6...

this thread is great and I feel like booting up my PS3 to play the game. XCOM's been eating my time up >_<.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This thread is actually too good to be left in the dust and warrants a bump if only so new Mercs players can see the excellent OP and get a foothold on how to become a better player on the PC version. Don't let it die, people!

Bumping this cause I'm relieved it exists.Thank you so much for this thread Neiteio. I just bought the game from the recent steam sale and I totally forgot how to play :) .

amar212

Sorry to bump this, but you should probably put this guide on the Steam community page for the game.

I had the urge to yesterday, but it wasn't mine to do. The creator definitely should though, while people are still playing.

Hey guys, please be free to do so, I have no problem with that and since I am not a Steam user, you can do it - please make it happen if you can, I am happy if you find it useful.

Also, please use the latest updated version of the manual, that can be found in the OP, that is hosted on the site that does not ask for registration, here is the link:

pdf document: RESIDENT EVIL 6 Advanced Controls Guide PS3.pdf

Thank you!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Has anyone made a modified version pertaining to the PC? It'd be easier for me to parse after I finish playing RE5 + Revelations and get to RE6.

MrDaravon

This guide was super helpful when I gave the game the best chance I could a few months ago. It's disgusting how little the game tells you.

Wish I could just control this game like RE4 or 5. I'm at the cathedral now, playing co-op local.. It's amazing how less of a game, how the budget feels even smaller than RE4 or 5. It's a goofy mess honestly. You think They could have gotten the 4 or 5 team back together for this one..

BadWolf

Thanks OP!

Saw this thread previously and made a mental note of it for when I got to play the game.

Started the game yesterday and these tips are gold.

jett

D-Member
Well I'm actually playing RE6. I'm up to Chapter 4 on Leon's campaign. I've been playing exactly as the OP...and no matter how you play, the shitty level design, enemy placement/AI and overall scenario design won't get any better. Same problem as RE5, that game controlled almost the same as RE4, but there's much more to a game than just basic mechanics. I still find that the camera can change in disorienting ways in RE6 despite cranking up the FOV, but it's better than what I experienced with the demo at least. :p

Thanks to the OP though, I didn't know you could drop bombs as you slide, or that you could auto-replenish your tic tacs. I still don't know if I should carry on or give up. Last night I tried a bit of Jake's chapter and I think all the machine gun-toting zombies just annoyed me more. I think this game would be better if it had regenerating health. The whole reviving mechanic is horrendous, I'd rather stay dead than being forced to stay on the ground for 30 seconds if the AI isn't around. Definitely better to let yourself killed and try again from the last checkpoint with your full health. I guess there are no PC mods that might change some of this?

Neiteio

Well I'm actually playing RE6. I'm up to Chapter 4 on Leon's campaign. I've been playing exactly as the OP...and no matter how you play, the shitty level design, enemy placement/AI and overall scenario design won't get any better. Same problem as RE5, that game controlled almost the same as RE4, but there's much more to a game than just basic mechanics. I still find that the camera can change in disorienting ways in RE6 despite cranking up the FOV, but it's better than what I experienced with the demo at least. :p

Thanks to the OP though, I didn't know you could drop bombs as you slide, or that you could auto-replenish your tic tacs. I still don't know if I should carry on or give up. Last night I tried a bit of Jake's chapter and I think all the machine gun-toting zombies just annoyed me more. I think this game would be better if it had regenerating health. The whole reviving mechanic is horrendous, I'd rather stay dead than being forced to stay on the ground for 30 seconds if the AI isn't around. Definitely better to let yourself killed and try again from the last checkpoint with your full health. I guess there are no PC mods that might change some of this?
Guy who wrote the OP here. I like the campaigns, but they're definitely the roughest part of the package due to uneven pacing, etc. I'd recommend focusing on Mercs and getting your fill of that, first, and then coming back to the campaign. You may be surprised how much more capable you feel during the campaign after fully exploring Mercs, even if you feel you have a firm grasp of the mechanics now. I find the campaign levels work rather well when you play as over-the-top as possible. I'm talking backflip-onto-your-back-to-roll-around-dogs-in-Leon-Chapter-2 crazy. If you try to play "cinematically," picking your shots while stoically standing your ground, the tight spaces and swarming enemies will constantly interrupt you. It's best to jump around like a monkey!

DOWN

Banned
Worth noting that a patch enabled camera FOV slider and a QTE shutoff.

Very useful but not widely advertised.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm playing RE5 right now - is there anything similar to this guide for RE5 or is it just much simpler in terms of control options? My main pattern of attack for enemies is

1. Shoot in head
  2. Run up and melee them
  3. Repeat

Just started this game last night (Steam version), I can't believe how much stuff was mentioned in this thread that wasn't mentioned in the prelude chapter/tutorial/whatever the hell that was.

I mean I played through Chris Chapter 1 and only died once or twice, but still some of this stuff would have helped had I known about it.

Jawmuncher

Just started this game last night (Steam version), I can't believe how much stuff was mentioned in this thread that wasn't mentioned in the prelude chapter/tutorial/whatever the hell that was.

I mean I played through Chris Chapter 1 and only died once or twice, but still some of this stuff would have helped had I known about it.

Some of it is actually mentioned in the loading screen.
Though it's easy to miss and no excuse still for capcom.

Of all the 600+ RE6 threads I bumped this one because frankly I think it's damn useful, and I've been consulting it over the past day or two while revisiting the game. Also, I think a few people may have picked the game up on the Steam sale and may find it handy.

And I have a question- what settings do you guys suggest for FOV? It's annoying that you can't change it in game, so I've been trying my best to find the ideal sweet spot

Top Bottom