• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Heck, a lot of folks spent the last decade bashing Sony for trying this in their games. 'Console like experience' was like the number one bash used against psp/vita games by a lot of folks, yet here we have a console seemingly designed around that.

I'm actually quite interested to see how games are targeted here. Too handheld like may alienate console gamers, while too console like may not mesh well with mobile play styles.
I never bashed it. I embraced the fuck out of it. And besides in this case it's true uncompromised console gaming on the go. It isn't console like. It straight up is the console games.

Also in this golden era of pick up and play indie titles that was always a bullshit argument anyway.

SirShandy

I would argue that $300-400 is a huge life choice, yes. If it's not to you, then congrats! It's more about what I feel is a missed opportunity. It's about the hypothetical future where I know what could have been, where I wish I could instead have spent that same $300-400 on a system that is on par or better than the PS4/XOne. It's about feeling like having no real choice, like feeling coerced, kind of like phone or TV bundles, where there's one this base that you really want (Nintendo software), but are forced to take on tons of channels you don't care (portability, inferior hardware) for a really high price, and having no alternate choice.

You do have a choice though. Before you make the purchase, you'll have all the tools at hand to judge, as a consumer, whether it is worth the price point, including: reviews, hands-on previews, a game line-up, a feature list, etc. I'm not talking about having disposable income.

You can have differences with Nintendo's approach and philosophy with the Switch, but these are all things you would consider before spending a dime. If what you bought was different than advertised, that's a whole other issue.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I still can't believe they didn't announce any games. Has me worried about the launch line up.

They are clearly going for a different marketing approach with the Switch. They are approaching it more like an Apple product than a traditional console.

Also the Wii U seems to have been operated by a skeleton crew for the past two years. I guarantee there will be some pleasant surprises regarding the launch lineup.

Ran rp

Vita shall live on in spirit through the Switch.

Powerful hardware, plenty of indies, all the handheld properties that matter plus all of Nintendo's games.

Vita NS Means Life

wSvqe6.gif

jacksrb

I'm just excited that this is a console I can actually play in bed as well as in the living room without physically moving the box. The fact that you can seamlessly take the same game with you is just such a great feature for me personally... I understand some people have no desire to continue console gaming outside of their living room (or off the TV) but I honestly think a lot of people will like this concept.

Add onto it that we finally get all of Nintendo's output on a single piece of hardware and that games previously relegated to handhelds will finally have HD installments and I'm super pumped. And that's before even getting to that list of third parties (which is about twice the size of Wii U and 3DS combined).

On the same wavelength. If I can grab a second dock then playing on a couple of tvs or in bed would be great!

BruinsMtB

Banned
Too many pages to look through, I apologize if this has been talked to death. Is there expectation that the type of games they make for 3DS will also be made for Switch? Are we gonna see Pokemon on this thing?

Not sure if that's necessarily true in the case of the Switch. As far as I can tell, there's no real gimmick like with the Wii and Wii U. It was appropriate to bundle Wii Sports with the Wii because it demonstrated what the Wii was all about. I'm all for them giving away free games though. :)

Super Nintendo didn't have a Gimmick either besides the jump in graphics and in the US at least they had a pack-in with Super Mario World. That shit was good.

Do something like that again even if you can't exploit a gimmick.

Too many pages to look through, I apologize if this has been talked to death. Is there expectation that the type of games they make for 3DS will also be made for Switch? Are we gonna see Pokemon on this thing?

Game Freak and Pokemon Company already confirmed Pokemon games will be made for the Switch. This will be their main platform while they finish off any other project they had already prepared to develop for the 3DS beforehand.

Not sure if that's necessarily true in the case of the Switch. As far as I can tell, there's no real gimmick like with the Wii and Wii U. It was appropriate to bundle Wii Sports with the Wii because it demonstrated what the Wii was all about. I'm all for them giving away free games though. :)

We don't know if it doesn't have any real gimmicks. Nintendo even said they have more surprises to reveal.

They probably didn't focus on the gimmick for the reveal. I am betting it has to do with mobile games due to the fact DeNA was on the list of publishers.

MicH

If their dedicated handhelds are being replaced by the Switch then absolutely. We don't know yet if this replaces the 3DS or they'll continue the DS line, but it seems very likely that they're unifying their home consoles and handheld consoles with the Switch

It will replace all Nintendo devices.

It's kind of confusing though why the Switch lacks several handheld typical features like gyro, camera or possibly even a touch screen. Or why Nintendo gave up in the multiscreen feature.

Banned

It's kind of confusing though why the Switch lacks several handheld typical features like gyro, camera or possibly even a touch screen.
They purposefully haven't announced all its features and specs yet. Gyro is so cheap to implement and Emily and Laura have claimed it's a multitouch screen.

Linkhero1

Super Nintendo didn't have a Gimmick either besides the jump in graphics and in the US at least they had a pack-in with Super Mario World. That shit was good.
Definitely not out of the realm of possibility. We'll just have to wait and see.

We don't know if it doesn't have any real gimmicks. Nintendo even said they have more surprises to reveal.

They probably didn't focus on the gimmick for the reveal. I am betting it has to do with mobile games due to the fact DeNA was on the list of publishers.

Yeah, read about that the other day. I also think it will be software based, so probably not really on the same level as the Wiimote or Gamepad where they were the main gimmick for the console.

It's kind of confusing though why the Switch lacks several handheld typical features like gyro, camera or possibly even a touch screen. Or why Nintendo gave up in the multiscreen feature.

Among the rumors, the insiders that have dispensed correct info so far have confirmed multi-touch capacitive screens. Gyro needs to be in there though, since Splatoon is a thing on it.

SirShandy

I think they will. And if there is the possibility of a new future portable from Nintendo, I imagine those will also show up on the Switch. A divided software library hurt Nintendo before, and they've moved away from that kind of development strategy.

Iwata talked for a long time how one unified platform is crucial for Nintendo. Releasing a new dedicated handheld would only make sense if the Switch fails similar like the WiiU.

lenovox1

Iwata talked for a long time how one unified platform is crucial for Nintendo. Releasing a new dedicated handheld would only make sense if the Switch fails similar like the WiiU.

Right. Any smaller device will be on this same NX platform as long as the NS is successful enough. That's logic!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I want to ask you guys:

Do you expect the Switch to be...

1) Wii U 2.0... better marketing, better sales, but an overall similarly limited library and mostly appeals to hardcore fans.

2) An actual mainstream hit that manages to recapture some of the massive sales of the SNES / Wii?

I know this depends on a ton of factors, including price, game library, and battery life, but what is your gut telling you right now?
Success wise I expect 3DS sales at worst, and optimistic for a bigger hit than that. Library wise this is almost certain to be the strongest handheld ever. With Nintendo consolidating their development to 1 device I expect Nintendo's usual stellar output to be better than ever. Japanese third parties will absolutely support the NS as it's the only handheld on the market. 3DS and Vita devs will move to NS no doubt. I expect really good indie support. The only real question is the western third parties. But if it's easy enough to port to, I totally see them getting on board. Regardless the library will be the strongest of any Nintendo system in quite some time, and this should translate to good sales.

They should have mega hit in Japan on lock at least. It'll have all the major Japanese titles and it's the only handheld on the market. Japan will flock to it. For a big hit in the west I think the main thing they need to nail is price. I trust the library will be strong. But certainly in the west a really attractive price point will be needed to convince the masses to buy Nintendo hardware. I'm optimistic.

RedSwirl

None of the recent Nintendo consoles were bastions of Japanese mid tier developers.

People should accept that the time of the Playstation 1 and 2 are over when development was cheap and there was also an audience who bought such games (Wii had many million sellers but the total software sales were low).

Key word: "recent Nintendo consoles." The last bastions of mid-tier Japanese developers were handhelds.

And I believe that's the reason the Switch is a hybrid -- so it can be successful in the Japanese market and thus attract those Japanese developers. On TV mode, those games become console games again.

Success wise I expect 3DS sales at worst, and optimistic for a bigger hit than that. Library wise this is almost certain to be the strongest handheld ever. With Nintendo consolidating their development to 1 device I expect Nintendo's usual stellar output to be better than ever. Japanese third parties will absolutely support the NS as it's the only handheld on the market. 3DS and Vita devs will move to NS no doubt. I expect really good indie support. The only real question is the western third parties. But if it's easy enough to port to, I totally see them getting on board. Regardless the library will be the strongest of any Nintendo system in quite some time, and this should translate to good sales.

They should have mega hit in Japan on lock at least. It'll have all the major Japanese titles and it's the only handheld on the market. Japan will flock to it. For a big hit in the west I think the main thing they need to nail is price. I trust the library will be strong. But certainly in the west a really attractive price point will be needed to convince the masses to buy Nintendo hardware. I'm optimistic.

No dedicated handheld will ever again have a library like the original DS's. That was a pre-iPhone world. Maybe it'll have the beefiest 1st party library of any handheld ever, but 3rd party is probably going to be around 3DS-level. Maybe a little better or a little worse depending on how many Vita developers switch over and how many are lost to mobile.

I never bashed it. I embraced the fuck out of it. And besides in this case it's true uncompromised console gaming on the go. It isn't console like. It straight up is the console games.

Also in this golden era of pick up and play indie titles that was always a bullshit argument anyway.

It's still compromised when compared to it's rivals, something that will most definitely be brought up in reviews and by fans.

Vita owner as well here, who greatly loved it games.

We don't know that it lacks those things. Except maybe the camera. But even then I'd wait for more information.

Key word: "recent Nintendo consoles." The last bastions of mid-tier Japanese developers were handhelds.

And I believe that's the reason the Switch is a hybrid -- so it can be successful in the Japanese market and thus attract those Japanese developers. On TV mode, those games become console games again.

Neither the 3DS nor Vita are bastions for Japanee mid tier devs. The highs were the Ps1 and 2 and faded with the NDS and PSP.

That's market reality. There is no untapped Japanese pool f devs to bet on a stream of software titles left anymore.

Also the argument reminds when people claimed that the WiiU has the Japanese market for sure, that NeoGaf thread is quite infamous after all.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Mostly excited to see how having just one device is going to effect what Ninty puts out on this in terms of quantity and quality of software, I really think this is going to be a turning point for Nintendo, internally and externally.

Peltz

No dedicated handheld will ever again have a library like the original DS's. That was a pre-iPhone world. Maybe it'll have the beefiest 1st party library of any handheld ever, but 3rd party is probably going to be around 3DS-level. Maybe a little better or a little worse depending on how many Vita developers switch over and how many are lost to mobile.
3DS level of support is pretty good.

TLZ

Banned
I don't understand this.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. You have the power as a consumer to not buy something if it's going to cause you psychological pain. You decide to spend the money or not.

I don't to get this - "I will buy it, but I wont be happy" inner conflict thing people keep bringing up. If it's a problem of software, wait until you actually know what's coming, or until enough has come out to justify a purchase. Why do some people make it seem like they are buying into a lifestyle or something. Video games aren't needful purchases, they are for personal entertainment, it shouldn't be a huge life choice.

Then you really aren't understanding his issue. He really wants to play Nintendo's new games, but in order to do so he'll have to abandon what he has for something that he doesn't feel is too different powerwise, and it won't have the big 3rd party games (according to him) like the final fantasies and the gtas etc, and will still have to get them elsewhere. So he doesn't see the justification, and more forced.

Do you guys see the portable aspect being a hit? I mean, speaking personally, as much as I like my 3DS etc I just can't see myself carrying around something that expensive to places, and it looks much bigger than traditional handhelds as well. I mean that may just be me I guess I see people with $600 tablets all the time, but a dedicated game console just feels different to me, I'd be worried about it getting scratched up and broken all of the time.

I guess I got some time on it anyways, I'm not even close to done with the WiiU (and I'll be playing Zelda on it, not the Switch), so plenty of time to see if the software is great and portability is a good feature. By the time I get around to finishing my WiiU backlog Switch will probably be a year in!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

You're ignoring the benefit of indie developers, which is a very big deal, and the fact that there's a very good chance this will have the best western third party support of any handheld.

TLZ

Banned
Then...don't buy it? This "Nintendo is forcing me to buy their machines!" sentiment is absolutely ridiculous.

He likes their games man. He can't just not buy them when he enjoys playing them. He just doesn't feel it's justified buying their new console that's not that much different in power (according to him) to what he currently has.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but.... I know there is rumors of the screen being a capacitive touch screen, but is there any reason it needs to be a touch screen? When it's docked you don't have access to the screen. If a game had a gameplay element that required touch, you couldn't use it when it is docked.

Is there any good reason that the NS tablet needs to have a touch screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom