• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nintendo Switch is my future main console. As a parent and someone with a busy schedule, it is the perfect machine to lay in bed or anywhere in my home or during my lunch break at work.

Ahem to this, been waiting for a device like this for ages not every gamer has the time or the setup to sit in front of a TV and play "A Home Console".

Will definitely be my main console even if we only get Nintendo + Indie output. Third parties will be a welcome bonus.

ozfunghi

Ahem to this, been waiting for a device like this for ages not every gamer has the time or the setup to sit in front of a TV and play "A Home Console".

Will definitely be my main console even if we only get Nintendo + Indie output. Third parties will be a welcome bonus.

Same here. People also keep forgetting this will get 100% of Nintendo's focus. Meaning this is WiiU+3DS output at once. Also for 3rd parties, this will be much more interesting... Where they didn't think 3DS was powerful enough to bother with, this won't be the case for Switch. Where they didn't think WiiU had a big enough userbase to bother with, this will also be different, i'm quite sure.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. People also keep forgetting this will get 100% of Nintendo's focus. Meaning this is WiiU+3DS output at once. Also for 3rd parties, this will be much more interesting... Where they didn't think 3DS was powerful enough to bother with, this won't be the case for Switch. Where they didn't think WiiU had a big enough userbase to bother with, this will also be different, i'm quite sure.

I love that part of it. I just hate that it will be overpriced for someone like me who only games in their mancave on the bigscreen and has no desire to game on the go or in other rooms or on small screens.

Hoping they can hit the $250 price, $280ish tops. If it's $300 I may just play Zelda on Wii U and pick up a Switch down the road when there's a sale or retailer gift card offer with purchase etc. so I don't feel like I'm pissing away too much money for the portable features I'll never touch.

Really wish they'd just gone with separate cheap, small console and portable options that shared carts/library. So many compromises with price, lack of storage etc. for console-only folk like me, and larger size and what not for the portable only crowd.

AzaK

Who are we all kidding. As long as they get Minecraft on it then it'll be a runaway success. Parents can tell their kids to bugger off and play on the couch so they can watch TV.

Combine that with the special PC Dock that essentially uses the Switch as a drive for games so you can play them on the PC too and it's done and dusted.

And if that wasn't enough, you can put in the PC dongle and stream all your PC games to the switch tablet.

Let's stop pretending we can predict Switch success a priori. Never before has a Nintendo platform presented itself in such a unique set of circumstances.

If Nintendo is able to sell this thing at $249, the switch is an unique position that no one can predict.

Come next christmas parents will be in a very unique position?

Do I buy my kid an iPad, which costs $299 and needs to be cared for, baby sit, is clumsy to play on?
Or do I buy him a Switch for $249, which is better specced, is relatively rugged and has games on it such as Minecraft?
Or do I buy him a PS4 for $279, which has cool games but can not be taken out of the house when we visit grandma?

I am not saying this is an easy choice for Switch, but it's certainly much better than WiiU was

Who are we all kidding. As long as they get Minecraft on it then it'll be a runaway success. Parents can tell their kids to bugger off and play on the couch so they can watch TV.

Combine that with the special PC Dock that essentially uses the Switch as a drive for games so you can play them on the PC too and it's done and dusted.

And if that wasn't enough, you can put in the PC dongle and stream all your PC games to the switch tablet.

Well, you can get Minecraft everywhere. Pokémon, on the other hand...

Jasper

wer_GKRQWVXnaxwo_NHCRMj_Iz50_Mho_D160l_rnc_WTp2g.jpg

I haven't been following the thread, so I don't know if it's already come up, but I'd like to see the central piece of the joycon grip accessory be usable as a mobile battery charger for the Switch itself.

It's already a mobile battery charger because it charges the joycons. You might as well put a USB-C port on it, make it removable from the grip frame, and call it a day. The joycon grip would essentially be a skeleton that holds two joycons and a battery charger. They could then sell battery chargers with more mAh if/when battery technology improves.

Branduil

I haven't been following the thread, so I don't know if it's already come up, but I'd like to see the central piece of the joycon grip accessory be usable as a mobile battery charger for the Switch itself.

It's already a mobile battery charger because it charges the joycons.
You might as well put a USB-C port on it, make it removable from the grip frame, and call it a day. The joycon grip would essentially be a skeleton that holds two joycons and a battery charger. They could then sell battery chargers with more mAh if/when battery technology improves.
Citation needed.

Citation needed.

Very true, I assumed it was more than a piece of plastic. If it's just plastic, then the only way to charge the joycons would be by attaching them to the Switch or buying another undisclosed accessory. If your Switch battery was dead after playing it for 3 hours (max) on your plane ride and you get home to your dock, you'd be stuck playing the game in mobile mode, tethered to a wall outlet.

It just seems like such a no-brainer.

EDIT: From the close-ups of the joycon grip, the center piece has status LEDs, at least one for each side. So it's already more than just a piece of plastic. If it has no battery capacity, then the LEDs would actually be draining the battery in the joycons (albeit a tiny drain), which seems like a bad idea.

Zedark

Very true, I assumed it was more than a piece of plastic. If it's just plastic, then the only way to charge the joycons would be by attaching them to the Switch or buying another undisclosed accessory. If your Switch battery was dead after playing it for 3 hours (max) on your plane ride and you get home to your dock, you'd be stuck playing the game in mobile mode, tethered to a wall outlet.

It just seems like such a no-brainer.

EDIT: From the close-ups of the joycon grip, the center piece has status LEDs, one for each side. So it's already more than just a piece of plastic. If it has no battery capacity, then the LEDs would actually be draining the battery in the joycons (albeit a tiny drain), which seems like a bad idea.

You're probably correct, although we don't know for sure. However, you can see in the trailer that the guy playing Skyrim leaves the joycons attached to the handheld system after coming home. Perhaps (maybe only in dock mode?) The joycons can (also) be charged simply by attaching them to the handheld? It's an interesting question to be sure.

ramparter

Banned
As long as the console and the 3rd party games sell, we will get support. Wii got COD3, COD4, WaW, BO, and MW3.
Depends on what kind of 3rd party games sell. It's possible to port games though, the gap isnt that great as it was with Wii, the greatest challenge will be whether people can be pursuaded to buy technically inferior versions.

You're probably correct, although we don't know for sure. However, you can see in the trailer that the guy playing Skyrim leaves the joycons attached to the handheld system after coming home. Perhaps (maybe only in dock mode?) The joycons can (also) be charged simply by attaching them to the handheld? It's an interesting question to be sure.

I guess I also assumed that attaching the joycons to a charged Switch would charge the joycons. The alternative, however, is such a poor design that it's practically criminal. Let's say you forget to put the joycons back into the docked Switch because they're in your joycon grip. The next day, they're uncharged. Now, you'd need the pro controller accessory to play Switch at all. And if you had to go somewhere, you couldn't play Switch either.

Even more beautiful would be to just have it downloaded. <3

I can't wait to see the OS in January. I want badges, miiverse, themes, folders and street pass on this thing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Something like that would make me reverse my current digital only purchasing...

Lack of HDD when docked already had me rethink that. :D

I bet it will have a gold cart, but don't care much personally since I sell physical games after beating as I'm not a collector and don't replay things--especially longer games like this.

Effect

With the Switch I'm not looking to see the number of games offered by third parties. I want to see the quality of them. I want to know if Skyrim Remaster is being released if there will be mod support or if the portable factor is a equal replacement for it. If Call of Duty once again shows up I want to know if it's completely comparable to the PS4 and XBO versions. Will the map packs be offered? If Final Fantasy 15 or Remake shows up I want to know what is missing first and foremost. If anything is missing or extremely late I damn well better not be expected to pay full price for less content or extremely late content unless additional content is included like a game of the year edition. The third party can go F itself if they pull that shit again.

I think that's ultimately what will be important and what people will pick up on. I think there is a "good enough" point for graphics with a lot of people at this point. What people don't overlook or forgive or accept is when one version of a game has less or missing features or content compared to another version for the same damn price. Different content or features is one thing. That used to be a thing back in the day. Removal of content, features, or not getting confirmation of additional support (for example DLC, regardless if you want to buy it or not) is another thing.

This is what I want to see in the coming months. I have no doubt Nintendo will bring the quality. I have no doubt Nintendo's close partners will offer quality. Third parties are the mystery and unknown. I don't care how many games get announced. I want to see what they end up offering compared to the other versions. Will they stop halfassing their offerings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom