• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk 2016 Anime |OT| Prelude to the CGI Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Ep12:

Are you fucking kidding me

The entire arc was built up to the one moment of the eclipse and
Griffith's Rebirth
and they do it so quickly in like a funky 30 second animation that if you blink you've missed it and then it's suddenly the next day.

There is no way at all that anyone who hasn't read the manga will understand what the fuck just happened.

Second worst ep of the entire season after the first ep. I can't believe I waited all season for the eclipse to be animated for this.

At least the Mogzus and his crew fights were decently done. Probably best part of the season. But the eclipse should've been some huge epic moment like the eclipse of the 1999 season. Both shows end on an eclipse event, but this was done in a way that it was just a blip. :(

They played Ash Crow over a Joachim scene.

lriwUmm.gif

3/10.

The Joachim tale.

Grudy

Yea, uhhh, there was an egg. And it somehow ended up in Gutsu's purse? And then it turned into Griffiths? Wtf just happened?

lol the egg with Guts was taken off an Apostle in a previous arc that they cut, which is different from the Egg-shaped Apostle whom you saw in the last couple of episodes. The Egg-Shaped Apostle is the one that gave birth to Griffith.

The next troll arc is easily my least favorite part of Berserk in its entirety.
I liked some stuff about that arc. It has one of those moments where everyone's jaw drops as Guts fights
the ogre
, Serpico actually gets a good fight against a monster opponent for the first time, Schierke shows everyone that she is the magical equivalent of a nuke and we even get to see Guts
fight Slan
which is his first fight against a
God Hand
since the Black Swordsman arc at the very beginning of the manga iirc. I think that particular fight provided the perfect excuse for Guts to don his new armor since his current tools would only be enough for mid tier apostles. Isidro's character actually experiences some growth when he is humbled by Schierke's power, too. The conflict between religion and paganism via the priest and Schierke is also tackled quite well without the need for a good old witch burning which is nice.

But an in depth look into the morbid process of troll
reproduction
always drags the troll arc down in most people's eyes. It is no Lost Children or Tower of Conviction story, but it's got some things going for it that those two also lacked.

The action scenes of the next arc, with a proper adaptation, would be pure craziness.

Off course when movement looks like this
k8jSbeY.gif

and when we see trolls stampeding like this

SHAmwJQ.gif

All hope is lost.

Once again, couldn't they have changed where the models are looking?

52DqcVi.jpg

They just pasted them. At least change a bit of their direction so that it doesnt popup so clearly (that's a 2+sec shot). This is beyond inexcusable. But from a show that last week forgot to add hair to Azan, the control-quality is surely nonexistent.

Zodd, for a while there, looked oddly like a plushie out from a crane game. Good Lord.

Here's hoping for the second season, maybe the production team can abduct some wayward folks that worked on the seasons of Kingdom thus far, something, anything...

I went ahead and rewatched the 3 movies and it was way better than I remembered, but maybe that's due to having this show to compare it with today.
I now wish the crew from the movies could have been able to continue producing the following arcs instead of this turd from Millepensee, at least directing was really good in those movies.

Is there any known reason to why they weren't able to animate the rest of the manga?

Acerac

Banned
My hate's nowhere on the level of True Savior's. I just love poking fun of it though.

Despite this you post 3x as much about it as they do.

If you're having fun you do you, I've just never posted over 200 times in a thread about something I disliked before and found the dedication unusual is all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

If you're having fun you do you, I've just never posted over 200 times in a thread about something I disliked before and found the dedication unusual is all.

Isn't that every thread on this forum?

Moonkid

The action scenes of the next arc, with a proper adaptation, would be pure craziness.
Man, I dropped this a while back, but if stuff like that gets through to the final product how can anyone with a straight face say the show improved in quality? I feel like for once it's not hyperbolic to call something rubbish. Art may be subjective, but it's not devoid of standards we can judge it by.

Oh you want hate posting this is nothing. I'm far meaner to Naruto in both threads than I am to the Berserk anime.

petran79

Banned
I like the style better than the movies.
Don't my care if it's cheap CG.
It's grown on me.

At least characters talk and their lips move. Tried watching recently an episode of Ushio and Tora (the Kamaitachi one) and you see hardly any lip movement, just static pictures. As opposed to the old OVA that had full featured lip movement and animation.

I'd hate Berserk to have ended up like that. Better bad CGI than static animation

New002

So does the whole world hate this anime or just Gaf? Real question. How was it received in Japan?

I wonder as well. Anecdotal, but I have some buddies that have been tuning in weekly and are pumped about the show.

Personally, I had to bounce in the middle of an episode a while back and I just never had the desire to finish it or tune in for the rest. I gave it several eps, but in the end it just wasn't for me...this animated version that is, not Berserk in general.

Anung

Un Rama
A few of my friends are enjoying it and I'm hoping it'll act as a gateway to the manga. So I've just been letting them know how much better the manga is compared to this new anime. Its like watching Blade Runner performed by sock puppets instead of watching the actual film.

Oh and episode 12 was a mess. The season had ups and downs (way more downs) and I'm not going to lie I do wish it didn't get renewed but hopefully somehow it'll get better next season.

Its sad to say but I'd rather have nothing than what we actually got.

Mr Git

Christ the ending of 12 where they teased season 2 forced polar opposite emotions out of me. One of my favourite arcs but I really didn't want this team/studio to do it. That's not even a sufficient gap for them to actually become decent.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't wait for the beautifully drawn troll rape that goes on for 3 episodes and then the Berserk Armor looking like something out of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Grudy

Man, I dropped this a while back, but if stuff like that gets through to the final product how can anyone with a straight face say the show improved in quality? I feel like for once it's not hyperbolic to call something rubbish. Art may be subjective, but it's not devoid of standards we can judge it by.

I've been meaning to post something like this in a while. People keep saying the show's quality has improved but I've only seen it in a few scenes here and there, nothing that would improve my opinion and I'm not just talking about the animation quality. Even if they fixed the animation, there are more important aspects such as pacing, atmosphere, music, camera movement...etc that are still very lackluster.

Not to mention that I don't agree with the stance that it's good just because it will get more people to read the manga. I find it more plausible that the first episode will just drive people unfamiliar with Berserk away from the show. That first episode was so all over the place it kinda hurts.

Now that I think about it...why was Isidro in the first episode?!

Dahbomb

I have met people in real life who think the new Berserk anime is good. Seems like some people are just very tolerant to the CG aesthetic.

jett

D-Member
Why is every character so awful and hateful?

I haven't read the manga, but this is completely opposite of the 90's show, and I'm ignoring the awful CGI animation. Is the manga the same story? This just sucks.

I'm on episode 9. This show is terrible, but I can't look away.

Why is every character so awful and hateful?

I haven't read the manga, but this is completely opposite of the 90's show, and I'm ignoring the awful CGI animation. Is the manga the same story? This just sucks.

I'm on episode 9. This show is terrible, but I can't look away.
This is a pretty dark arc, most people are pretty fucked up and others aren't, there's a lot of nuance to people though regarding Berserk. The best way to see it is in the manga, this show couldn't get some of the nuance right. Nina's a piece of shit regardless though.

jett

D-Member
This is a pretty dark arc, most people are pretty fucked up and others aren't, there's a lot of nuance to people though regarding Berserk. The best way to see it is in the manga, this show couldn't get some of the nuance right. Nina's a piece of shit regardless though.

Maybe one day I'll read the manga. Nina was such an insufferable character jeez.

I just finished this show. Although there's a LOT I could not follow, what I least understand is Griffith's rebirth. Didn't that already happen at the end of the Golden Age arc? What am I watching here?

Maybe one day I'll read the manga. Nina was such an insufferable character jeez.

I just finished this show. Although there's a LOT I could not follow, what I least understand is Griffith's rebirth. Didn't that already happen at the end of the Golden Age arc? What am I watching here?
New Griffith is skin suit Griffith. Griffith 1.0, Femto and Griffith 2.0 aren't exactly the same exact person. I mean they're the same person, but there are elements to them that are different.

Breads

Banned
Yea, uhhh, there was an egg. And it somehow ended up in Gutsu's purse? And then it turned into Griffiths? Wtf just happened?

Not sure how manga spoiler policy is supposed to work here if the adaptation is so butchered. It makes sense. It's just not part of the story anime only viewers were told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom