• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BESERK | The '97 Anime Re-release

There's a lot of trash anime these days.

So, I'm constantly looking for new classics, and I have many of the greatest series already in my collection, but I have never paid attention to Beserk.

The '97 anime was recently re-released and is sold out on most sites. I copped it and it was 22 episodes of the lamest Record of Lodosss knockoff I'd ever seen.

Then...Femto. Boom. 🤯🤯🤯 Last few episodes were amazing. The it ends abruptly.

What a masterclass in buildup and narrative pivot.

I'm all in now, and was irritated to find out the newest anime entries don't even cover much of the entire series.

Anyone else grab the re-release or a fan?

Currently watching the newer anime with 2 seasons.

Last edited:
There's a lot of trash anime these days.

So, I'm constantly looking for new classics, and I have many of the greatest series already in my collection, but I have never paid attention to Beserk.

The '97 anime was recently re-released and is sold out on most sites. I copped it and it was 22 episodes of the lamest Record of Lodosss knockoff I'd ever seen.

Then...Femto. Boom. 🤯🤯🤯 Last few episodes were amazing. The it ends abruptly.

What a masterclass in buildup and narrative pivot.

I'm all in now, and was irritated to find out the newest anime entries don't even cover much of the entire series.

Anyone else grab the re-release or a fan?

Currently watching the newer anime with 2 seasons.

I've been reading the manga since the early 2000s. I reccomand you read the manga instead. So much better

I feel like that's my only option at this point, there's so much to the story that isn't animated and at this rate, might not be some time.

Have you watched the OG anime?

Yeah way back in the 2000s. Still have the DVD Set. It's what got me into reading the manga in the first place

If you read the manga, read it from the very beginning. The first anime cuts some stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah way back in the 2000s. Still have the DVD Set. It's what got me into reading the manga in the first place

Will likely be the first time I buy a manga. I've been gifted a few DBZ chapters over the years but I'm hooked and looking to consume more of Beserk's story.

Such a refreshing plot. Love the idea of the brand and Guts' constant struggle.

It's one of those stories that isn't afraid to let the protagonist lose. There isn't enough of that.

Will likely be the first time I buy a manga. I've been gifted a few DBZ chapters over the years but I'm hooked and looking to consume more of Beserk's story.

Such a refreshing plot. Love the idea of the brand and Guts' constant struggle.

It's one of those stories that isn't afraid to let the protagonist lose. There isn't enough of that.

BTW get the Deluxe Editions if you can afford them

They are in large Hard Covers

They are fantastic and they look great on the bookshelves

Or just sail the Seven Seas if you can't afford it

Porcile

It's iconic especially with the soundtrack but it cuts out too much from the manga to the extent that it makes no sense how they even intended to continue past the first series.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I watched the show first then read the manga after. i think the OG show was great, although I havent watched it in years.

The problems with the newer shows and movies after reading the manga its like, are you going to do the whole thing or what lol.

Also the newer show :

lmyfjl.gif

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Read the manga.
Yes and also no.

This is WAAAAAAAY better than the manga and I read that shit twice back in the day. The dub is great. The 1997 anime is lacking and has some subplots removed but the last six or so episodes in the build up to the eclipse are incredible and the anime adaptation is the best we'll ever get for it. That Clive Barker inspiration shines through so well in animated form.

Yes and also no.

This is WAAAAAAAY better than the manga and I read that shit twice back in the day. The dub is great. The 1997 anime is lacking and has some subplots removed but the last six or so episodes in the build up to the eclipse are incredible and the anime adaptation is the best we'll ever get for it. That Clive Barker inspiration shines through so well in animated form.

This.

I was more or less done with the anime and then it rolled into the episodes leading up to the Eclipse.

Straight fire until the end. Perfect mix of horror, action and debauchery.

Blew my mind this weekend. Extremely disappointed to learn that the anime adoptions of anything post Golden Age is average at best.

Though, I'm watching the 2016/17 anime and it's cool to see what happens after the abrupt ending of the original.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Berserk is one of my favorite pieces of fiction, but man is it messy to get into. The 97 anime is great but the end is rushed and they trim out a lot of important set up for what's to come.

The movies, on the other hand, bring that stuff back, but they lose a lot of the smaller, less plot critical characterization moments.

The manga is a masterpiece, but even then the Black Swordsman arc in the beginning doesn't mesh well with the rest of the series. And the post-Miura continuation is barely a shadow of what it was.

The less said about the second TV anime the better, although it does at least stay close to the story.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I envy you getting to experience it for the first time. 97 is really good. As the others have said read the manga. Even if you're not a big manga reader it's worth it. The more modern Berserk series continues where this one leaves off but the animation is okay at best and awkward at other times. It is close to the manga and the content is really good so it might be worth a watch to you.

stn

One of my biggest disappointments in anime. Not because it isn't great, just because it ends so quickly and there's so much story left. I almost wish I didn't watch it so I wouldn't know what I was missing out on. Also, the OST SLAPS.

Ulysses 31

I'm curious how the Warriors game "Band of the Hawk" is for those interested to see more post eclipse. It even covers how Guts get the Berserk armor.

If you like Warriors games then it might be worth playing it?

Last edited:

rogr rogr

OP, so you started liking It during the last episode only? (Femto)

To me, It is the best anime series ever...only the first episode felt generic...until the last second flashback.

There is a YT vídeo in my mother language with ALL the manga episodes being read as a drama podcast. It's amazingly done and edited. I am currently "rereading" It this way.

Jsisto

Berserk is amazing. I’m in the process of reading through the manga. Don’t let the internet poison how you feel about the newer anime. It’s got flaws, and the hand drawn art of the original is far superior, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Glad we atleast have a halfway decent anime adaptation, we may never get another. Also, the soundtrack for the new one was absolutely amazing.

Porcile

Am I crazy or were the Golden Age movies actually pretty good except for the cheap animation ? I don't remember.

Last edited:
Yeah, so I binged everything this weekend into today, and although the newer anime is not at Ufotable levels, it's hardly unwatchable.

DB Super looked consistently worse throughout.

I think we get what we deserve, the response was so negative that the series was canceled (right?), but it was the only one we had, and it was all past the Golden Age.

Such a tragedy.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Yeah, so I binged everything this weekend into today, and although the newer anime is not at Ufotable levels, it's hardly unwatchable.

DB Super looked consistently worse throughout.

I think we get what we deserve, the response was so negative that the series was canceled (right?), but it was the only one we had, and it was all past the Golden Age.

Such a tragedy.
No they just adapted up to them getting on the boat and the series quality nose dives at FTL speeds at that point. Nothing to do with being canceled. I caught up as a teenager before they go on the boat and reading the new releases was one of the most painful things ever.

No they just adapted up to them getting on the boat and the series quality nose dives at FTL speeds at that point. Nothing to do with being canceled. I caught up as a teenager before they go on the boat and reading the new releases was one of the most painful things ever.

Ah, I see.

I thought the Golden Age ended at or after the Eclipse?

RaduN

The perfect watch is:
The 97 anime up until the eclipse, then switch to the eclipse part in the third movie. It's VERY well done, damn twisted and very close to the manga, and goes a chapter further than the original anime.
Berserk is arguably the most complex mature manga ever made, with depth to the characters that most novels only dream of.

The 97 anime, while not having the biggest budget back then, is still an amazing watch even today, because the story is that good and the OST and acting (original japanese of course, not the shitty dub) are god tier.

The perfect watch is:
The 97 anime up until the eclipse, then switch to the eclipse part in the third movie. It's VERY well done, damn twisted and very close to the manga, and goes a chapter further than the original anime.
Berserk is arguably the most complex mature manga ever made, with depth to the characters that most novels only dream of.

The 97 anime, while not having the biggest budget back then, is still an amazing watch even today, because the story is that good and the OST and acting (original japanese of course, not the shitty dub) are god tier.
Agreed. I never gave it a chance until I ran out of quality old anime to watch.

Then I watched it in this order:
  1. 97 anime
  2. 2016 anime
  3. Move 3 of the Golden Age Memorial edition.
In the '16 version, the Eclipse was better animated for sure and actually showed how Guts and Casca escaped.

When the credits rolled on the last episode of the '97, I was heated. But it's also a masterful way to end the series, knowing there wasn't going to be another season.

Yeah, Beserk is like my top 3 now. Truly a masterwork.

I'll be buying the hardcover manga to catch up.

Last edited:

Bojji

I have watched 97 anime many years ago and loved it but that fucking ending...

3 movies (at least ending is extended)

2016 anime - I forced myself to watch it, story is there but it looks like shit

Then I started reading manga, art quality is AMAZING and story is good obviously but Miura started to become super slow at some point so it's not much further than 2016/2017 anime. I don't know what happened to the manga after he died.

Berserk is amazing, especially first chapters of manga are super dark and depressing (they don't fit the rest very well) but for some reason it never was properly adapted for screen, every attempt have massive flaws.

I watched the show first then read the manga after. i think the OG show was great, although I havent watched it in years.

The problems with the newer shows and movies after reading the manga its like, are you going to do the whole thing or what lol.

Also the newer show :

lmyfjl.gif
They fixed a lot of the CGI and animation of the newer anime in home releases. I have it on bluray, and it looks a lot better than when it first aired, although it's still the same show underneath.

Overall, I enjoyed it in a B-tier, Adult Swim-original kind of way. It was crude and shocking in an almost Metalocalypse sort of way, but it still had the heart of Berserk. It was an entertaining trash watch in that sense.

I'm curious how the Warriors game "Band of the Hawk" is for those interested to see more post eclipse. It even covers how Guts get the Berserk armor.

If you like Warriors games then it might be worth playing it?

I have played it. It is a fun B game with multiple characters and a fun leveling system, but the structure is too Dynasty Warriors-esque including important story/emotional beats simply existing as spoken text at the bottom of the screen while you're in the middle of combat.

It's just a shame that they chose Musou as the genre, and that's just another reason I'm glad that the action/soulslike genre seems to be the golden boy at the moment because most people would prefer anime games to take that route instead.

Toots

Gold Member
Best anime blooper reel ever

remind me of the hokuto no ken french dub with all the stupid puns and crazy dialogues. "Hokuto", which sounds like the french words for high (haut) and knife (couteau), became the "high kitchen knife" (hokuto de cuisine), and all the off shoot schools had weird names like high butter knife (hokuto à beurre), high oyster knife (hokuto à huitres). Of course "Nanto" which sounds like manteau (coat) became "fur coat" (Nanto de fourrure) or "mink coat" (nanto de vison). Also who could forget legendary lines like : "In the post apocalyptic future, times are hard, and so are boiled eggs" or , when Toki start moving after spending years sitting still at Cassandra's jail "Toki's ticking, tic-tac..."

I heard that it came to be because the voice actors were so horrified by Hokuto no Ken (they had the uncensored version with blood, swastikas and all) that they petitioned to change the tone of the dialogues to defuse some stuff they found problematic at the time. Since no one cared much about anime in 90's France they were given carte blanche to rewrite the dialogues and the rest is history !

Last edited:
Top Bottom